• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta "This is the Monado's Power" - Metagame Discussion

I think I realized why I'm so into Shulk's b-air. It's really good for getting in along with speed dash grab, and you can keep out with it. That aaaand pretty much almost 80% of the players I fight are campy so RAR b-airs and dash grabs are a thing for me and I probably don't ever get a chance to use d-tilt unless I'm against an aggressive player. Fml ;;
Had a very strange fight against a Lucina on FG... Basically, it started with my whiffing and getting punished into a combo. Eventually got a Bair in to put me back on my feet, but then things got weird. Lag ticked up a bit, and we ended up spending about 30 seconds trading complete whiffs. Some back and forth motion, finally I get a KO with a perfectly timed FSmash at the ledge. Lag was bearable, but still noticeable, more whiff trades. Finally caught onto the Lucina's roll-happy nature, and got a solid DSmash punish in there, putting things back in my court. I was up around 60%, but still went into Buster, allowing me to get Lucina up to about 90% while I ratcheted up to 130%. So I put on Shield, and find that Lucina wasn't sure how to tackle me in shield. I knock her off the stage, she ledge-grabs, and pulls herself up with a Counter... which I just barely stalled out by charging a DSmash, KOing her rather than me.
Lucina has no choice but to either run or attempt to out-space Shield Shulk which isn't that hard considering his god awful mobility. I think disjointed attacks are good against shield art

I have to use f-smash/pivot f-smash more for ledge trapping. I feel like my ledge trapping has been kind of off lately. Been doing well with Shulk though, regardless. I'm using speed art less often though

---

If you're feeling unsafe with relying on u-smash, f-smash or d-smash reads to KO your foes, just b-air them in smash art. B-air their ledge get-up or their rolls or whatever

Last edited:

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey Shulk players! We from the Ryu boards are making a doubles thread. The purpose of the thread is to find the best partner for Ryu. I'm going to invite as many people I can at once and get discussions going on all at once. We invite you to our dojo and hope you could help us discuss Shulk and Ryu in doubles. Thank you in advance!

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Off-topic
For a fun little thing I did, I went to Training Mode & tested the 1% difference between N-air Blade (7%) & N-air Beam (8%). I wanted to see what the KO percentages would be against a CPU Shulk set on Control at the very center of Omega Gaur Plains. Here's what I got:

Vanilla: N-air Blade's Deadly Blow spark starts appearing at 249%, & N-air Beam's Deadly Blow spark starts appearing at 223%.

Speed & DSpeed: N-air Blade's Deadly Blow starts appearing at 251%, & N-air Beam's Deadly Blow starts appearing at 224%.
HSpeed: N-air Blade's Deadly Blow starts appearing at 252%, & N-air Beam's Deadly Blow starts appearing at 225%.

Shield & DShield: N-air Blade's Deadly Blow starts appearing at 251%, & N-air Beam's Deadly Blow starts appearing at 225%.
HShield: N-air Blade's Deadly Blow spark starts appearing at 252%, & N-air Beam's Deadly Blow spark starts appearing at 226%.

Smash: N-air Blade's Deadly Blow starts appearing at 199%, & N-air Beam's Deadly Blow starts appearing at 179%.
DSmash: N-air Blade's Deadly Blow starts appearing at 173%, & N-air Beam's Deadly Blow starts appearing at 155%.
HSmash: N-air Blade's Deadly Blow starts appearing at 151%, & N-air Beam's Deadly Blow starts appearing at 135%.

So yeah, the 1% damage difference has quite the KO% difference indeed.

EDIT: Why does this matter, you ask? Well, think about those times you're off-stage & you're punishing airdodge with the long-lasting hitbox that is N-air. Spacing the move in order to hit with N-air Beam off-stage is a surprisingly good KO option that's slept on when considering our other aerials such as F-air, B-air, & especially D-air, but N-air Blade is fine to hit with too since it does have a chance to KO them if not leading to more edge-guarding. And because N-air's hitbox is active starting behind & ends diagonally behind, it's helpful to RAR aka aerial pivot your jump off-stage to hit with the N-air swinging overhead Shulk to launch them towards the blastline.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Does anybody play mindgames by staying grounded while using Monado Jump? The opponent is probably expecting you to jump and use your air game, so you could catch them off-guard by not doing so. Hmm.

Maybe I should expand this to mind-games with different arts...

What they think:
Vanilla: They think you're going to use primarily aerial attacks. Mostly Nair.
Jump: They think you're going to jump, either when approaching or defending. They think you are going to recover by simply double jumping.
Speed: They think you're going to approach running or maybe jumping from a run.
Shield: They think you are defenseless to projectiles. They think you can't approach
Buster: Well, kind of the same as Vanilla, but maybe with more Bair
Smash: They think you're going to start utilizing high knockback high risk moves in order to kill them. Definitely approaching.

What you could do to throw off:
Vanilla: Tomahawks are super effective! Also, using rising Fair/Bair, and then jumping before you reach the ground to avoid landing lag works too. Bair or Fair can be surprising rather than using Nair.
Jump: Don't jump. Approach or defend in the same way you would in Vanilla. Sometimes, use Air Slash to recover instead of double jump
Speed: Defend? Maybe approach with walking?
Shield: If they think you are defenseless to projectiles, continue to shield/dodge their projectiles in order to stale their moves. Also, since they think you can't approach, they will more likely feel obliged to approach. They don't want to feel like they are wasting time.
Buster: err, refer to Vanilla
Smash: Use weak, fast, safe moves, and kill using good follow-ups and frame traps rather than making unsafe, hard reads. Also, playing defensively can throw off.

So, I'm beginning to not suck that hard with Smash art. I still think I'm hilariously bad with the art but I'm getting used to landing the safe options. So far, the only options I can rely on in Smash art is d-throw, b-throw, u-tilt, and b-air. The kill throws are great. They're probably your go-to option with smash art but the issue is that this may get predictable and opponents can simply just run away. Smash art u-tilt is great. Decent frame speed (frame 11), has huge range vertically, and it kills at low percentages. B-air is also good because like I said, b-air is good when you're opponent commits to anything. Say if they roll, that's a free b-air kill. If they approach, b-air. If they whiff an aerial, b-air.

I do like the idea of simply using weak, fast, and safe moves to set-up for the kill (thanks erico). This sounds like a good idea. You can use jab to put them in a bad position such that you can set-up for a u-tilt or a throw or maybe an aerial that kills in smash art (f-air or b-air)

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I find that half of the problem with Smash is that it screams I'M GOING TO TRY TO KO YOU NOW. OKAY?!

So I think that it's an excellent idea to use weak, quick moves to set people up. Other than jab, what else might be a good move to use? I feel like other than nair, most other things would hit too far away so mightn't be as helpful if you can't edgeguard off it.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Does anybody play mindgames by staying grounded while using Monado Jump? The opponent is probably expecting you to jump and use your air game, so you could catch them off-guard by not doing so. Hmm.
Using Jump so much is how I learned better patience, keeping my feet on the ground. Walking around is great in the art because even short hopping in Jump is a huge commitment on Shulk's part.

I find that half of the problem with Smash is that it screams I'M GOING TO TRY TO KO YOU NOW. OKAY?!

So I think that it's an excellent idea to use weak, quick moves to set people up. Other than jab, what else might be a good move to use? I feel like other than nair, most other things would hit too far away so mightn't be as helpful if you can't edgeguard off it.
Grab. If they are in the air, use up tilt or f-air. Air Slash is also very viable if you're trying to kill.

It's best to keep Smash on hold until you get the advantage in neutral/set up an edgeguard situation. It's far easier to deal with Smash Shulk in a neutral game.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I revised my old changelist for Shulk. Fed him some of that top tier sauce. I highly doubt much/any of this will ever happen but still a man can dream...

http://pastebin.com/ewRgXEgP

Jab 1 - Startup reduced from 5 to 3. FAF from 26 to 24. Hitboxes lowered slightly and made a very tiny bit larger.
Shulk's jab currently deals good damage but it's pretty unsafe and more importantly it's too slow for a non disjointed jab. Frame 3 puts it in line with other jabs of its type and the lowered hitbox prevents it from whiffing vs smaller/lowered opponents.

Jab 2 - Startup reduced from 5 to 4. FAF from 34 to 30. WBKB lowered from 52 to 42.
This is again to help make this move slightly safer. The WBKB reduction is to allow this move to link more reliably into Jab 3 vs floatier characters.

---

Dash Attack - Startup reduced from 15 to 10. Angled lowered from 60 to 30.
Currently this move stands as one of Shulk's worst moves. High risk, 3rd slowest startup in the game, mediocre reward for how much of a commitment it is. Reduced startup allows it to function better as a long range punish and the lowered angle grants Shulk more stage control upon successfully landing it.

UTilt - Startup reduced from 11 to 9. FAF from 40 to 36.
Reduced startup allows it to serve as an even better anti air and anti pressure option on reaction. Reduced endlag makes it a little more rewarding on hit, giving Shulk stronger mix-ups after confirm.

DTilt - Startup reduced from 10 to 7. FAF from 34 to 31.
Shulk currently lacks a fast ground poke which other sword character have. Reducing the startup of DTilt massively improves his ability to zone at ground level and grants him safer air to ground pressure options.

---

FSmash - Hit 1 changed to be unclankable. Hitboxes extended closer to the hilt. Angles adjusted of hit 1 of FSmash Down from 78/10/40 to 68/10/30. KGB increased on FSmash and FSmash Down from 115 to 125 to match FSmash Up. FAF from 68 to 60.
Shulk's FSmash currently clanks with moves it really shouldn't due to the nature of its hitboxes. Charged FSmash first hit clanks with weak projectiles and jabs. Making it unclankable forces clank on these moves for the opponent without Shulk clanking himself. Hitboxes being closer to the hilt prevent it from blind spotting point blank. The other changes are for consistency. FAF reduction allows the move to be safer on block when properly spaced.

USmash - Hit 1 changed to be unclankable.
Same reasons as mentioned above. This move is great otherwise.

---

NAir - Startup reduced from 13 to 9. FAF from 71 to 66. Autocancel from >80 to >60.
Startup reduction allows NAir to serve as a better anti pressure and out of shield option. It's already a central move to Shulk's neutral game so change it too drastically may make it too good. Autocancel window reduced to still be late but no longer absurd.

FAir - Startup reduced from 14 to 10. FAF from 45 to 47. Damage increased from 7.5/6 to 9/8. KBG reduced from 100 to 96. Autocancel from >57 to >45.
Again allows for it to be a stronger anti pressure option. Increased damage allows it to be more rewarding on hit and a stronger zoning option on shield when spaced. Increased endlag means it's a requires a little more commitment to use in the air. Autocancel window reduction allows it to autocancel on short hop in Monado Jump.

BAir - Autocancel from >79 to >52
Allows full hop BAir to autocancel. Currently Shulk still suffers landing lag even after having put the Monado back on his back which quite frankly is unacceptable and unpolished.

UAir - Startup reduced from 14 to 10. Second hit from 24-25 to 17-18. Beam sourspot damage increased from 7.5 to 9. Lingering hitbox from frame 19 to 24 added (6%, angle 88, 35 BKB/100 KBG). KBG on second hit reduced from 100 to 90. Autocancel from >79 to >48
Many improvements for this move. Reduced startup allows this to serve as a better anti air and the lingering hitbox allows it to serve as a more effective frame trapping tool. Initial hit beam hitbox buffed to give the attack greater consistency overall. Autocancel window again adjusted to allow for the move to autocancel on full hop. KBG reduced to make it a less potent kill move considering its vast improvements.

DAir - Startup reduced from 14 to 10. First hit aerial hitbox removed, ground hitbox made to also hit aerial opponents. Second hit from 23-24 to 18-19. Lingering hitbox from 20-25 added (6%, angle 85, 20 BKB/100 KBG). 11% hitboxes on second hit BKB increased from 10 to 20. Autocancel from >78 to >57.
Similar to UAir, serves as a better frame trapping tool and a more effective offstage option. Removal of the aerial hitbox on first hit means first hit will always consistently do 7%. Increased BKB on 11% hitboxes means it has greater potency at lower percents. Autocancel window reduction allows to move to autocancel from rising full hop, giving the move greater potency as an onstage tool to cross-up opponents' shield.

---

Monado Shield/Decisive Monado Shield - Damage reduction reduced from -30% to -25%.
Makes Monado Shield more threatening offensively and defensively. Attacks are slightly safer on shield and more rewarding on hit, allowing Shulk to more easily shift momentum of the game in his favour while opting for this art.

Monado Smash/Decisive Monado Smash - Knockback increase for default increased to match current Decisive. Decisive knockback increase increased to a middle ground between its current increase and Hyper Monado Smash.
Monado Smash currently is the least useful art unless you're opting for Hyper Arts. It's no where near rewarding enough for how many cons it offers. For instance currently fully charged Smash FSmash kills a fair later than most of the hardest hitting FSmashes in the game yet is just as heavy a commitment due how unsafe on block all of Shulk's moves become. Consequently this helps to balance out the risk/reward ratio of this art a little better by making his attacks more potent killers.

Back Slash - Damage increased from 10/9/16/14 to 14/14/25/25. KBG reduced from 100 to 96.
For how heavy a commitment this move is it's painfully unrewarding. A damage buff in this way allows it to be a more worthwhile long range punish option vs zoning characters as well as a much more rewarding hit off of a hard read. In Xenoblade Chronicles Back Slash is one of Shulk's most potent arts and as a result it should better reflect that ingame, now become his most powerful kill option. Similar adjustments would also apply to his custom Back Slashes.

Air Slash - Hit 2 damage increased from 5.5 to 7. BKB increased from 35 to 45. KBG reduced from 170 to 150.
Damage and BKB increases designed to make this move a more rewarding combo ender particularly at lower percents (currently it can be unsafe on hit). KBG reduction to compensate for increased damage and BKB though the move should still kill at similar percents. Similar adjustments would also apply to his custom Air Slashes.

Vision - Attack now fully intangible until hitbox appears. Horizontal momentum adjusted on aerial Vision to allow for greater consistency. KBG reduced from 84 to 70. KBG of Forward Vision reduced from 94 to 80.
Currently this counter is too rewarding on hit, but it's also frustratingly unreliable. These changes serve to round it out overall, making it a more consistent yet less powerful move overall. Similar adjustments would also apply to his custom Visions.

tl;dr - Better jab, faster DTIlt for ground poke, FSmash/USmash that don't clank with jabs, autocancel windows that don't make me want to strangle a puppy, improved UAir and DAir, Monado Smash knockback buff, Back Slash damage buff, Vision reliability/knockback compensation.

Last edited:
Don't know why I'm hesitant to use f-smash for dealing with landings, but it's good for that purpose. Make sure you angle it up though because you're gonna need that additional active frame to catch opponents

Been using speed art's walking with d-tilt. Really good stuff and it's a good way to start up your offense (for those who get the joke, walk > d-tilt is an advanced tech :3). I honestly think b-air's utility in speed art is pretty much on par with jump and buster's

Anyway, about changes for Shulk, DEAR GOD GIVE US REASONABLE AUTO CANCELS. Some frame speed buffs would be fantastic. Maaaaybe decrease the start-up on b-air. Monado Smash is the trickiest to buff though. I really think it's the damage nerf that makes the art more risky than rewarding. The weight nerf is the icing on the cake though. Maybe decrease the damage nerf to -25%? Idk.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Honestly atm I really want a landing lag reduction on D-air. The move is basically the exact same thing as U-air except for the hitboxes aiming downward rather than upward. Seriously, U-air is 17 frames of landing lag yet D-air is 25? What's up with that.:ohwell:

Aside from that, you can make the landing lag of D-air look not as bad when you use the move oos to hit someone's bubble shield with a Buster art, & then be slightly amazed of how strong the move can be when both hits connect on block. It's also quite a sight to see them hit by the first hit which may lead into the second hit to deal awesome damage. The second hit of D-air can likely be safe on shield given some drifting & fast falling away from the opponent's dash approach to our landing. That, or use a Jump or Speed art & drift with using the move & it may be something.

As interesting as changes are, this really isn't the thread for that. The patch thread exists. Although the thread is mostly for discovering changes, it's not a bad thing to have a wish list of changes in the thread

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Here's an example of Buster edgeguarding/gimping that I talked about a week or so ago:

See how easy it is to lose your double jump in the fair strings? And if you don't jump you risk falling too low to recover. This works best against recoveries that aren't the best; you're not going to gimp VIllager with Buster anytime soon lol

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Here's an example of Buster edgeguarding/gimping that I talked about a week or so ago:

See how easy it is to lose your double jump in the fair strings? And if you don't jump you risk falling too low to recover. This works best against recoveries that aren't the best; you're not going to gimp VIllager with Buster anytime soon lol
This has been happening to me a lot on Anther's ladder, and seeing a gif like this finally shows me what I've been doing. I was trying to do some Buster gimping, but whenever I succeeded, it ended up being a suicide kill. :/

On that note, AL has really shown me just how easy FG is... I went from 50% FG win rate to idk, 9% AL?

Well, this GIF shows me a lot of things. One being that buster edgeguarding is viable

Two being that f-throw in buster might be a lot better than it seems. I think we should look into the possible set-ups with buster f-throw. D-throw only works at low percentages anyway. Talking about set-ups on and off-stage btw

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

I dig the GIF example, but I just wanna say that the Link probably had enough time & frames to react to the first F-air with an airdodge after the F-throw. Although, F-throw iirc has good frame advantage & the same scenario can be said answered with waiting out airdodge & keep the thought of using F-air or D-air at that point in mind, which would have meteor'd well enough to end Link's stock.

Buster edge-guarding can be viable but the knockback reduction from the art makes it a 50/50 always, unless we have a real good amount of Rage effect to make Buster F-airs true. And while gimping Villager isn't possible with Buster art, it's always nice to deal sweet, beautiful damage.:shades:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Honestly atm I really want a landing lag reduction on D-air. The move is basically the exact same thing as U-air except for the hitboxes aiming downward rather than upward. Seriously, U-air is 17 frames of landing lag yet D-air is 25? What's up with that.:ohwell:
Because DAir can meteor and pretty much every meteor in the game has relatively high landing lag and a late autocancel window (barring Yoshi's FAir because it's dumb). The issue is more that its autocancel window is once again far too late and it doesn't even have an early enough FAF to do a NAir before landing from full hop (unlike BAir and UAir). This is why I suggested for it to autocancel on full hop in my change list.

As an aside to @ Berserker. Berserker. the reason why I didn't include faster startup on BAir in my list is because I feel BAir doesn't need it. BAir's slow startup actually gives it a unique niche in being able to punish various defensive options at once as invincibility will usually end around the time the BAir comes out. Also there are so many other good things about that move it seems somewhat unnecessary. Good damage, phenomenal range and Hitbox coverage, safe on block if spaced decently or in Buster and is probably his best kill move barring Air Slash. Only real issue is again the stupid autocancel window.

Oh and apologies for not using the other thread for my list. I wanted to share it but wasn't sure where at the time.

Last edited:
Nah. It's cool. Don't worry

Also, all d-airs must have a lot of landing lag. Idk why. It's the law of Sakurai

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Hey folks! Kinda fun new thing I found. You know how you can buffer art deactivation? Well for the movement-based arts, if you try to move as soon as you can and you've buffered a deactivation, Shulk will keep the movement property right after deactivating.

For example, if you've grabbed someone with Speed, buffer the deactivation during the throw animation and try running/walking as soon as the throw ends. Speed will shut off, but Shulk will keep the movement buff (it gradually wears off while running, but it seemed to stay intact while walking) WHILE GETTING HIS VANILLA DAMAGE BACK, allowing for better damage on follow ups. Beyond this I'm not too sure Shulk gets much else from this (Jump doesn't change your power and Shield makes you slower so it's meh.), but it's a neat little optimization like say, if your art's about to run out anyways. And heck if I know the Shulk boards you guys will find something else it could be good for.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Hey folks! Kinda fun new thing I found. You know how you can buffer art deactivation? Well for the movement-based arts, if you try to move as soon as you can and you've buffered a deactivation, Shulk will keep the movement property right after deactivating.

For example, if you've grabbed someone with Speed, buffer the deactivation during the throw animation and try running/walking as soon as the throw ends. Speed will shut off, but Shulk will keep the movement buff (it gradually wears off while running, but it seemed to stay intact while walking) WHILE GETTING HIS VANILLA DAMAGE BACK, allowing for better damage on follow ups. Beyond this I'm not too sure Shulk gets much else from this (Jump doesn't change your power and Shield makes you slower so it's meh.), but it's a neat little optimization like say, if your art's about to run out anyways. And heck if I know the Shulk boards you guys will find something else it could be good for.
I don't really buffer an art deactivation in mid-combo moment, but that is a swell idea. I feel you're correct that we may not get much advantage from buffering Shield art deactivation but there could be a use perhaps. Jump & Speed arts seem to do this best. A scenario that's similar to what I've mentioned before in this post was that I would deactivate Jump art off-stage & quickly cycle to Shield art. The catch is that I'm drifting in a way that I have Jump's air speed & fall speed as Vanilla Shulk while I'm cycling to Shield. Once Shield art is activated I just keep holding towards the stage to drift, possessing Jump art's mobility in the air now as Shield Shulk drifting, which looks fantastic & guarantees you'll recover from low with Shield art's knockback defense with any Air Slash variation. This looks best to do with MAS due to the move's nature to recover from very low.

I kinda feel dumb for not messing around with this. I keep forgetting too much >.<

Buster art n-air > Buffered deactivation/switch into speed art + grab > D-throw > F-air > Air Slash deals 32% damage. I think I should tinker around with this more often. It'd make my idea of speed=neutral, buster=advantage, WAY more realistic

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

I discovered the technique back in January, but I never thought to use the running version with D-throw combos and the like! Here's the video I made, which primarily focuses on the walking aspect.

My current thoughts...

1) I would do this at the end of your monado art's duration if you do not want to waste arts.

2) Should be nice with hyper arts. Short-lasting durations with lots of mobility buffs. Obviously nearly useless with decisive.

3) I like your idea of buffering the deactivation with a down throw or something. It's only useful with combos where you either run or jump out of the attack, but it seems good. In particular, I like that it helps the Hyper Speed D-throw -> dash -> Fair combo deal more damage while still remaining a true combo. Has about the same combo percents. In addition, it gives the the opportunity to double jump before I reach the ground and then follow up with another aerial, this time MALLC'd into hyper buster or hyper smash! With regular arts Speed D-throw -> Fair, this might make things more consistent against an opponent who DI's up.

4) Hyper Speed D-tilt -> Dash -> Fair is now working against another Shulk at 80%, whereas you are usually too low to reach him.

5) I love how far hyper speed with a walk slides with this. !!! It's even more than a hyper speed pivot grab, and it has the benefit of carrying opponents over the edge rather than having you stop at it.

6) Using it with a run could throw off opponents due to the slowing down as you approach.

I'm going to be using it a bit more now, experimentally. I hope we can find more uses!

I have a weekly to go to tomorrow. I might play around with buffering deactivation more in my friendlies or matches. I have some nifty ideas like buffering from speed art into buster art or jump art, vice versa. Like I said, it'd make my idea of using certain arts at certain states much more realistic and easier

I agree with erico. This is amazing with hyper arts :D

Last edited:

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
But...how can we buffer a deactivation if it requires three three impute and in this game you can only buffer one imput at time? Do we have to press the special button for one second for it to work?

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Man, all these nice techniques I want to use, but can't until I get the regular game down pat... Where I struggle most is aerial spacing and defending against grabs. Any tips on how to fix myself up in those areas?

Finally I understand what buffering is. I wasn't sure for a while, but that video cleared it up for me. Thanks erico!
Anther's Ladder is still showing me that I am a mere grasshopper. Still, I like the friendliness of people there. At least there isn't any crap going on like I found at Pokemon Showdown... Would you believe that a moderator there once muted me for a whole hour for expressing a dissenting opinion on my favorite character from an anime...?

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
Man, all these nice techniques I want to use, but can't until I get the regular game down pat... Where I struggle most is aerial spacing and defending against grabs. Any tips on how to fix myself up in those areas?

Finally I understand what buffering is. I wasn't sure for a while, but that video cleared it up for me. Thanks erico!
Anther's Ladder is still showing me that I am a mere grasshopper. Still, I like the friendliness of people there. At least there isn't any crap going on like I found at Pokemon Showdown... Would you believe that a moderator there once muted me for a whole hour for expressing a dissenting opinion on my favorite character from an anime...?
Don't take wifi too seriously. When you can, always play offline. I can only play online because no one in a range of 30 Kilometres even knows what smash is, and that makes me very sad since I can't improve that much online and I have bad online habits, and all this makes me a terrible wifi scrub. I wish I could play at least one or two people, but man, Italy sucks in too many ways you can't even imagine. Here Smash is generally considered a "****ty kiddy game" and no one wants to have relationship with an idiot nerd who spends all of his time learning stupid frame data and other numbers.
TL; DR Don't play wifi if you can, and if you can't, you're not alone at least

EDIT: I just realised this isn't the social thread lol. Feel free to cancel the post if you want.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
But...how can we buffer a deactivation if it requires three three impute and in this game you can only buffer one imput at time? Do we have to press the special button for one second for it to work?
I mash it three times before the animation ends and it shuts off when it's over so I guess Shulk's an exception? Or you can buffer multiple inputs, but most characters can only do one thing at a time while Monado Arts doesn't have an animation getting in the way? Regardless, it works, and that's all you need to know.

Just master his hitboxes. Like, just check Mace/Masonomace's horizontal range data. Aerial spacing is something that you get used to the more you use Shulk's aerials. As for defending against grabs, in case if they're close, jab is your best option. Or just spot dodge. Not sure if pivot f-tilt works because if they're too close, they'll beat you to the punch. Just jab or spot dodge. If the opponent is really dash grab happy (in a predictable way), just b-air his ass

Last edited:
B-air for recovering, whoo. Whenever you're using jump art, you always need to be careful with your second jump because it's your only way with recovering horizontally with jump art Shulk. WELL, the thing with air slash is that although with jump art, it is a good recovery but it has issues with sweetspotting the ledge and because of this, some characters can actually hit Shulk before he can even grab the ledge (Greninja and Mario's water specials, Some meteor smashes if timed right, d-tilts, some d-smashes, etc). How about mixing up between either double jumping to recover high, air slash to recover from low, or a rising b-air? I mean, b-air does beat everything and for as long as you mix it up between double jumping, and recovering, you're opponent may not expect it despite being frame 18. Main issue with this is of course, frame 18. If they don't get confused, you will get shielded and you will be punished afterwards. Basically, use rising b-air (with jump art) with the same mentality when you're using b-air for basically anything. That mentality being: "Use b-air when your opponent does something"

I only thought about this because some of the people I play with tend to ready their attacks. Like, some of them charge their smash attack against me hoping that they'll hit me once I use air slash (and miss the ledge snap) or they just have the habit of always throwing out an attack when I recover so I was like, "Hm... Maybe I should just use b-air while jumping back on stage. I'd probably beat out their attack anyway"

So yeah. I know b-air is godlike and all that. Thing is, if you **** it up, you're most likely dead and the punishment for ****ing up b-air recovering is faaar worse than using b-air when your opponent isn't doing **** on stage. Thoughts?

F-air could work but the horizontal range isn't as much so... eh

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
B-air for recovering, whoo. Whenever you're using jump art, you always need to be careful with your second jump because it's your only way with recovering horizontally with jump art Shulk. WELL, the thing with air slash is that although with jump art, it is a good recovery but it has issues with sweetspotting the ledge and because of this, some characters can actually hit Shulk before he can even grab the ledge (Greninja and Mario's water specials, Some meteor smashes if timed right, d-tilts, some d-smashes, etc). How about mixing up between either double jumping to recover high, air slash to recover from low, or a rising b-air? I mean, b-air does beat everything and for as long as you mix it up between double jumping, and recovering, you're opponent may not expect it despite being frame 18. Main issue with this is of course, frame 18. If they don't get confused, you will get shielded and you will be punished afterwards. Basically, use rising b-air (with jump art) with the same mentality when you're using b-air for basically anything. That mentality being: "Use b-air when your opponent does something"

I only thought about this because some of the people I play with tend to ready their attacks. Like, some of them charge their smash attack against me hoping that they'll hit me once I use air slash (and miss the ledge snap) or they just have the habit of always throwing out an attack when I recover so I was like, "Hm... Maybe I should just use b-air while jumping back on stage. I'd probably beat out their attack anyway"

So yeah. I know b-air is godlike and all that. Thing is, if you **** it up, you're most likely dead and the punishment for ****ing up b-air recovering is faaar worse than using b-air when your opponent isn't doing **** on stage. Thoughts?

I can confirm that covering your recovery from below in Jump art with B-Air works, and is very satisfying to pull off. I did this once yesterday on Anther's, and made it look like I wanted to grab the ledge with my second jump, but B-Aired and landed on the stage after hitting him. (I think it was a ZSS... :O ) I wouldn't throw it out willy-nilly though, as you stated.

Slowly, I'm learning to B-reverse my Air Slash toward the ledge. I always get in trouble if I don't.

Also, when customs are allowed, I see no reason why one should not opt for Back Slash Charge. It may have less KB, but that super armor makes recovery possible while precluding being projectile-gimped.

Also, when customs are allowed, I see no reason why one should not opt for Back Slash Charge. It may have less KB, but that super armor makes recovery possible while precluding being projectile-gimped.
Back slash charge is pretty bad man

Idk, it's so punishable :c

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
I have been using b air to hit opponents who are charging/executing attacks. It works for the most time.

Though have this case when playing against my friend (who is a good captain falcon main)
Now he knows he runs the chance to get hit, so if the doesn't edge-guard me, he pays attention if Im going to attack, so he either shields b air. or waits, then proceed to execute an U tilt, which spikes.

For now, I learned to time the height of air slash with Jump art to prevent being spiked.

I suppose if someone doesn't come to edge guard you, and its doing an attack that isn't FLUDD or one with good range, you can actually space Air Slash and hit them with the first and/or second strike.

And yeah, BSC is not good. Its a free grab for the opponent if you dont hit the back...

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
The fact it has less KB isn't certainly a downside because you should never never use BS to attack. Generally, you should never use normal BS for anything. But BSC has that nice frame one super armor that could potentially help escaping juggles, which are one of the biggest Shulk's weaknesses, against Floaty opponents (read:Rosalina). So yeah, I see little to no reason using BS over BSC.

EDIT: The fact is that with BS you can only hit people. But it's so unsafe that someone who can punish BSC can punish also BS on whiff, let's be real. Instead, BSC helps in an other situation where it can be useful.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Good to see the discussion progress. I might be able to attend offline tournaments soon, so I'll be utilizing many months of knowledge granted by you all. I hope to make you proud.

Awesomesauce. Like Erico said, this is known, but I don't think it's widely used. It works best with Jump and Speed.

With Jump, it's a free recovery + art switch if you have your double jump. Press B twice before you jump, then quickly jump and press it a final time to deactivate the art while rising with Jump art's usual height.

Keep in mind that you still maintain its falling speed too, but that shouldn't normally be a problem. If you're fast enough, you can switch arts as you're rising, and have it activate before you land/grab ledge.

With Speed, I tend to favor doing it out of throws or after full hop f-air.

The strongest aerial spacing game possible with Shulk is one that lacks alacrity. What I mean by that is, don't get overzealous. When you play your spacing game well, your opponent will learn to respect it. When they respect it, you have to start "forcing" them to disrespect it again.

If that doesn't make any sense, think of it this way. Shulk's range in the air can be defined by a bubble. A fairly wide bubble at that. But any it takes quite a bit of time for most parts of that bubble to even have a hitbox, which is what gives them meaning.

If your opponent knows when that hitbox is going to appear on that bubble, the hitbox can be rendered pointless. That is, it can be interrupted if the opponent can catch you before your start up frames finish.

How do you counteract this? Don't always throw out an aerial. Try to stay grounded, but recognize good opportunities to take to the air. You will get grabbed a lot less often.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Lots of quoting of others, so if you don't wanna read all of my post, just read what I've quoted from ya.

Whenever you're using jump art, you always need to be careful with your second jump because it's your only way with recovering horizontally with jump art Shulk.
Objection!, we also have our amazing drifting speed along with fall speed to use for recovering horizontally.:smirk:
WELL, the thing with air slash is that although with jump art, it is a good recovery but it has issues with sweetspotting the ledge and because of this, some characters can actually hit Shulk before he can even grab the ledge (Greninja and Mario's water specials, Some meteor smashes if timed right, d-tilts, some d-smashes, etc).
This issue can be alleviated with several of these remedies:
1. Master Jump art's Air Slash height by being within very close distance of the ledge in order to ledge-snap with the 2nd hit's input

2. Use an aerial while you're Doublejumping towards the ledge & utilize the aerial's FAF so that you can buffer inputting Air Slash's 1st hit to instantly snap to the ledge. In your case with B-air, let's use B-air for the aerial example

3. Delay the Air Slash from recovering low as much as you possibly can. Jump art increases the vertical height to both hits of Air Slash, so it's definitely doable to use this remedy over the others if you're dealing with a move possessing a wind-box
How about mixing up between either double jumping to recover high, air slash to recover from low, or a rising b-air? I mean, b-air does beat everything and for as long as you mix it up between double jumping, and recovering, you're opponent may not expect it despite being frame 18. Main issue with this is of course, frame 18. If they don't get confused, you will get shielded and you will be punished afterwards. Basically, use rising b-air (with jump art) with the same mentality when you're using b-air for basically anything. That mentality being: "Use b-air when your opponent does something"
Personally for me, it kinda depends on the opponent's position near the ledge, watching them & recovering with the Jump art active. On one hand that the opponent is very close to the ledge but waiting patiently until I'm at about mid-way level with the ledge, I stay cautious but if the character has a slow run speed, I opt to Doublejump over them & drift towards the center stage. Those slow running characters include:
:4bowserjr::4dedede::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4link::4megaman::4miigun::4olimar::4villager: or :4zelda:

Now, in the case that the opponent is near the ledge but won't commit to going off-stage and / or doesn't have any formidable tools to use against me recovering from low, then I'm going to recover from the mid-low - very low range. What I do here is input a rising Doublejump + whichever aerial that isn't N-air or D-air, but N-air & D-air can get a use although it's very seldom. Anyway, I'd always say do F-air or B-air for mid-low & U-air from very low. F-air is for covering ourselves from mid-low because it allows Shulk to immediately snap to the ledge by using the FAF that is 41 by using Air Slash as soon as the F-air finishes. As for U-air from very low, it's a given considering that U-air is like using an airborne U-smash protecting directly above us, & that I use a rising Doublejump + U-air to poke through the lip / stage's ledge area in order to deal unsuspecting damage or hit their bubble shield telling them, "respect me & get away from my ledge".

I wouldn't say that B-air being that it's frame 18 is the issue 'cus frame 18 is when I would say the hitbox takes place in front of Shulk, which has terrible horizontal range.:p Frame 19 or perhaps Frame 20 is probably when the solid Blade 12% occurs behind Shulk. But, the thing with using B-air as a coverage move similarly to using F-air from mid-low I would say is dependent on Shulk's direction he's facing obviously, & whether the opponent has already respected our ledge-space or not. B-air has a very thin hitbox from behind, so it doesn't outdo F-air's wide coverage since F-air has a worthy hitbox that begins almost directly above Shulk that I use for poking through the stage's lip area. So B-air's sourspot taking place on the Frame 21-22 window while also having more horizontal hitbox range than F-air, I'd use B-air to poke the opponent standing on the floor to make them respect our ledge even more (My friend I play offline tells me that Shulk's B-air is the "pokey" with good reasons XD. I've done this kind of situation frequently to the point that we can't even see the B-air attack because it's stabbing through the stage hitting the character within range nearby). Now as far Shulk's direction he faces goes, it most likely varies on the attack or throw that launches off-stage since there are throws that launch us facing towards the blastline such as Villager's & Shulk's B-throw. Jigglypuff's B-throw does this too so I'll just say that B-throws have this common launch effect, as well as any other potential directional throws that do the same. The other factor we can use to turn our direction around manually is with the Jump art's activation; just make sure to be drifting without being in the tumble falling state while cycling to Jump, & then tap the joystick towards the blastline to make Shulk face that direction thus we can setup into a rising Doublejump + B-air for edge-guard breaking their edge-guard. A friendly warning is to be careful of the B-Reverse from the art's activation, for it can put a slight damper on you if you're not aware of the sudden shift of movement taking place.

Aside from that, the other times that the opponent tries to do something like you mentioned at this quote's ending, I do like using a rising Doublejump + B-air to cover myself. It's quite helpful when you cover all that horizontal range in between you & the opponent coming toward you.

It's a good thought. There are times my opponent does ready a move that would be so punishable if I could just jump up there & reach their move in time to Vision counter it, but y'know.:urg: So anyways, I approve of B-air edge-guard breaking for coverage & challenging moves, but I think that it's kind of a risk if B-air's timing is a stranger to someone who'd want to use it in that manner.

If I wanted to be safe edge-guard breaking their attack or whatever they prepare while being close enough tot he ledge, I'll just F-air the lip area or Shark them by inputting U-air to stab from below. That's just me though. In the end, I'd use B-air's sourspot just to poke them from a range beyond what F-air couldn't reach, that or something else.
-------
What I would want to discuss more about this topic is the fact that using B-air in this kind of way begins first with us facing away from the stage. That first step is required before trying this strategy & the opponent who doesn't ready an attack & sees this against them for the first time may keep it in mind & watch out for it at anytime we're facing towards the blastline. When they see Shulk facing away from the stage, they may not even think to challenge with anything.:shades:
There's a customs thread y'know.:p
Back slash charge is pretty bad man

Idk, it's so punishable :c
Masonomace said: There's a customs thread y'know.:p
Though I have this case when playing against my friend (who is a good captain falcon main)
Now he knows he runs the chance to get hit, so if the doesn't edge-guard me, he pays attention if Im going to attack, so he either shields b air. or waits, then proceed to execute an U tilt, which spikes.
I'd say to use F-air or U-air in that case. If he reacts against B-air with his oos option, then he's probably aware of B-air's slim & yet far-reaching hitbox. Instead of B-air, I'd choose to use F-air because you'll be able to snap to the ledge with Air Slash if you're utilizing F-air's FAF that is 41, or if you're choosing to slash through the stage's ledge area, then F-air is perfect for that.
And yeah, BSC is not good. Its a free grab for the opponent if you dont hit the back...
Masonomace said: There's a customs thread y'know.:p
The fact it has less KB isn't certainly a downside because you should never never use BS to attack. Generally, you should never use normal BS for anything. But BSC has that nice frame one super armor that could potentially help escaping juggles, which are one of the biggest Shulk's weaknesses, against Floaty opponents (read:Rosalina). So yeah, I see little to no reason using BS over BSC.

EDIT: The fact is that with BS you can only hit people. But it's so unsafe that someone who can punish BSC can punish also BS on whiff, let's be real. Instead, BSC helps in an other situation where it can be useful.
I like this as Erico & I have been talking about BSC lately, but there's a customs thread that we all can post at discussing about BSC.:p

Last edited:

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
I'd say to use F-air or U-air in that case. If he reacts against B-air with his oos option, then he's probably aware of B-air's slim & yet far-reaching hitbox. Instead of B-air, I'd choose to use F-air because you'll be able to snap to the ledge with Air Slash if you're utilizing F-air's FAF that is 41, or if you're choosing to slash through the stage's ledge area, then F-air is perfect for that.
Yeah, I have been using F air to get back.

It works due to the range, and the uptilt doesn't reach me.

Also he thinks he can greet me with a charged F smash attack, but Fair range beats him.
I would use Vision, but its on the air :<

Poking with might work on some stages. I will give it a try.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I just posted these images to the customs thread for a helpful observation about AS AAS & MAS, but since we like Air Slash so much, I present these images to you guys to see advantageous & educational visuals for delaying our Air Slash. These images are for helping us maximize our vertical height or our horizontal distance when AS1 is delayed:

When Facing Left

When Facing Right

I would use Vision, but its on the air :<
Eventually when I get down to testing which moves Shulk is able to Vision punish, I'll also to getting around testing aerial Vision's horizontal range when you're Ledge-jumping & quickly inputting Vision to counterattack right at the ledge's height. It's in a way that you don't land on the stage to be grounded while countering, but if it means that we're able to punish their attack in time & from a distance the Vision attack can reach, then it's better than any aerial of ours that we'd use to swat them away. I'll get to that & come back with what I find.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Alright, I was messing around with buffering Monado Art deactivations, and I found some very practical and useful strings. Notice I said strings, though some of these are very close to being true combos, as at their very core most of these use the Speed down throw into forward air. I also have not had the chance to test these against a human opponent. Anyway, all of these strings use down throw and exploit buffered Monado Art deactivations. For now, I'll just call this technique "Monado Art Down Throw Deactivation" or "MADTD".

This is a KO string from a speed down throw at mid percent. Basically, during the down throw animation, press B three times so that when the animation ends, Speed will automatically be deactivated. However, you will still have the speed buff for a short time after deactivation, allowing you to quickly dash up and continue the combo. After this, Jump is started up at just the right time to MALLC a forward air when you land. After this is just two more forward airs. This is an example of the best that can happen with a buffered deactivation into another Art. Notice how Dark Pit jumps into the last forward air. The last forward air is less guaranteed than the rest, so watch out for airdodges.

You can also perform a Speed to Jump MADTD at low percents, as shown by this clip.

With MADTD, Buster down throw gets some neat followups with the help of Jump.

Proper use of MADTD near the ledge can yield devastating results.

You can also MADTD into Speed instead of Jump. I don't believe it's feasible to go past Speed, unfortunately.

And finally, here is a "kill confirm" with a Buster to Vanilla MADTD. That's in quotes because it's not a true combo. Nevertheless, it's a nice option.

Again, please understand that this was tested in one night vs. a CPU, and therefore DI was not really factor. However, I'm cautiously optimistic about this technique, as it gives Shulk much better throw followups and even KO strings. I encourage you guys to try this out and come up with your own uses for MADTD. Heck, you might not even need a down thrown to find use in buffering Monado Art deactivations.

Edit: MADTD has been renamed "Monado Art Buffered Deactivation" or "MABD" because applications were found using moves other than down throw.

Last edited:
Alright, I was messing around with buffering Monado Art deactivations, and I found some very practical and useful strings. Notice I said strings, though some of these are very close to being true combos, as at their very core most of these use the Speed down throw into forward air. I also have not had the chance to test these against a human opponent. Anyway, all of these strings use down throw and exploit buffered Monado Art deactivations. For now, I'll just call this technique "Monado Art Down Throw Deactivation" or "MADTD".

This is a KO string from a speed down throw at mid percent. Basically, during the down throw animation, press B three times so that when the animation ends, Speed will automatically be deactivated. However, you will still have the speed buff for a short time after deactivation, allowing you to quickly dash up and continue the combo. After this, Jump is started up at just the right time to MALLC a forward air when you land. After this is just two more forward airs. This is an example of the best that can happen with a buffered deactivation into another Art. Notice how Dark Pit jumps into the last forward air. The last forward air is less guaranteed than the rest, so watch out for airdodges.

You can also perform a Speed to Jump MADTD at low percents, as shown by this clip.

With MADTD, Buster down throw gets some neat followups with the help of Jump.

Proper use of MADTD near the ledge can yield devastating results.

You can also MADTD into Speed instead of Jump. I don't believe it's feasible to go past Speed, unfortunately.

And finally, here is a "kill confirm" with a Buster to Vanilla MADTD. That's in quotes because it's not a true combo. Nevertheless, it's a nice option.

Again, please understand that this was tested in one night vs. a CPU, and therefore DI was not really factor. However, I'm cautiously optimistic about this technique, as it gives Shulk much better throw followups and even KO strings. I encourage you guys to try this out and come up with your own uses for MADTD. Heck, you might not even need a down thrown to find use in buffering Monado Art deactivations.
Oh my gawd. This looks amazing....

Gonna try this out and master this tech. Good job ExcaliburGuy :D

Edit: Been busy figuring out uses for pivot f-tilt/f-tilt. I'll post 'em later but I'll grind with this tech first

-----

MADTD buster sets up perfectly into air slash

Also: http://smashboards.com/threads/this-is-the-monados-power-metagame-discussion.369285/#post-17625986

You'll notice that there's something new in my post but it's WIP

Last edited:

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
So, I met this Shulk today at my locals. I was playing as Sheik, and instead of starting with Speed or Buster like every other Shulk I've faced, he started with Smash. I thought this guy was a total noob when I saw this, but after he proved to be a quite skilled Shulk main, I realized what was going on. With Smash, I could not do the fthrow -> bouncing fish (combo that all Sheiks go for at the start for a free 20%). On the second stock, he knew that since I knew this wasn't an option, he could DI expecting either a fair or an uair. Also, my combo game was limited due to the fact that he fell out of several strings thanks to the increased KB.

He actually ended up winning, and I've no doubt I would have won if he started with Buster or Speed.

I'm sure it is still a dumb idea to do this, but damn if it didn't catch me off guard. Thought I'd share it with you guys regardless of it being a silly gimmick, because I'd never seen it before. He obviously knew the matchup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom