• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This is hopeless.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
For about 3 and a half months, I've been anticipating the release of brawl. In fact, I structured my whole schedule around it. Things were exciting, and I was excited.

I needed a place to go to have some sort of outlook or venting ground or something. So I joined SWF. My friend Enigma was already a member, so I said, "Why the hell not?" I came here to discuss and talk about something I was passionate towards. Have fun. Have anticipation.

35 roster got revealed... People had disagreements. Whatever. Things cooled. Game was released. Now look at this.

I'm disappointed. Here me out. This isn't a tirade. This isn't like every other thread where the person says they're not going on a tirade, and that's exactly what they do, because they want to feel special about themselves, and be quoted a dozen times to feel like they've made an accomplishment, when really everyone else on the forum is going "there are other arguments", yet no one seems to care.

I'm disappointed with all of this. Honestly. It's getting to the point where it's just depressing to come here. You understand what's going on at this point? GAF is laughing at this forum. We're being compared to GameFAQS, on and OFF this forum. We're being compared to GameFAQS. I'll repeat this one more time. WE'RE BEING COMPARED TO GAMEFAQS. The Forum where you find such lovely posts as "WHO WOULD WIN IN A FIGHT!!! BANKAI ICHIGO, SONIC, OR THE FLASH?!"

What now? I come here everyday, and it's the same post. The same ****ING post. "Guys! The 35 roster is disappointing!" "**** YOU SAKURAI!" "Shut up WHINERS!" "Lol I'm gonna act all cynical and **** to get my point across." And every time someone tries to correct it, people ignore their topic and use it for their own personal gain. Someone will post "Guys, cheer up, it'll be okay." and two posts afterwards "SAKURAI HAD THIS MUCH TIME AND EFFORT AND HE WASTED IT! **** HIM!"

Jesus, really? Really? are you serious? There's no point in calling people ungrateful, there's no point in calling people stuck up. Because they won't listen to each other. They dive around it. No matter HOW Much evidence you show them, no matter what you do, they want their way. This is just spoiled person fest.

There are intelligent people here. Aeris, Card, Gimpy, Chrono and such. But for every intelligent person, there's someone like Fawriel, who insists on being a **** to everyone who doesn't agree with him. Really? So if I like the roster, I'm automatically a ******? Thanks.

And not just him, there are tons of people who literally just want to COMPLAIN. Just COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN. Sure, you can express disappointment, but there's a point to where you're just being redundant. That goes for both sides. There's a point where what you've been repeating has already been answered and people have moved on, yet you're bringing it up again, or not clarifying enough to move an argument forward and you're stuck on it. And then instead of clarifying, you flame the other person, because the more of a douche you are, the farther you think people will trust you. You'll get someone quoting you saying "Good job, you've done well.. keep posting." You'll get people agreeing with everything you say. Literally everything. Someone could write "I LOVE KILLING PUPPIES! Oh and the thirty five roster sucks and everyone who likes it should be STABBED!"

Watch. That would be quoted. Something along the lines of "I agree with everything you've just said. It's so true, blah blah, Roster." Just to promote something. It's literally politics. That's what's this has turned into. POLITICS. Agreeing with one party of people, just because they share a small similar goal, instead of making up your mind yourself, and discussing it. There's no discussions anymore. Just arguments. Just people yelling and screaming. Arguments.

And it won't stop. Something in me begs it to, but I've name dropped 5 people at this point(including Fawriel, who looks like he'll flame me as well, and call me an idiot for not having the same opinion he does), and it's a near certainty this will go off topic, and my original post in this thread will be ignored. Chrono predicted that people would go crazy, and asked them to keep calm, and no one listened.

No one ever listened. This isn't a discussion board, and while Fatmanonice wants some valiant discussion, we really can't have any at this point. No one's giving their OWN opinion. They're forming cliques and starting flamewars. This isn't High school. This isn't Washington DC. This is Smashboards.

It's place where we should be able to debate civily, without resulting to low blows. It's a place where we should look at something, and talk about it with integrity instead of making guess judges(AKA, calling something MELEE 2.0. I'm not talking about roster wise, people literally are saying everything in this game is MELEE 2.0 because they're pissed with the roster, when they haven't even played it.) and yelling at each other. A message board isn't meant for pushing someone's opinions out, it's for sharing them. As corny as it sounds, it's true, and that's what this board has lost, and that's what I've felt so depressed about.

What is my take on it? I'm fine with the roster. I got over it. I prepped myself for it, and if anything happened I was ready. (Btw, if you skipped to this part in the post, because I know some of you will, read the whole thing.) I think people are forgetting that Sakurai made the whole game and not just the roster, and I think he gave us a lot. I don't think people should call him a failure, because he's done a lot for us. It's not like he looked at the board, and ignored us just for a laugh. Whatever, that's my opinion, I could elaborate but that would ruin the point. I'm not going to PUSH this opinion on anyone else. I'll be honest, even I've been guilty of being a **** on this board a few times. I'll admit it.

But honestly, this isn't getting anywhere. It's hopeless. The sad thing is, all I wanted to do, was go to a place where I could talk about my favorite game, instead of getting into an argument every other thread. I guess I was wrong.

Fallen Pit

Smash Rookie
bravo....this is so true. Its depressing to even check the general discussion because all you'll find is " 35 roster" a bazillion times. We should discuss the game and leave out the why I like or hate the 35 roster. We need to get over it.

Qinopio

Smash Journeyman
I totally agree with you. I don't even like visiting here anymore. People seriously need to shut up and realize that this is an awesome, incredible game, even though it doesn't have X or Y character. It's totally going to surpass Melee, and I'm really excited.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Give it a few days, and everyone who doesn't care will be gone. It can only be like this for so long, just let it sink in for a while.

Ced The Lad

Smash Apprentice
Do you honestly think anyone will read all of that?
I did. It wasn't hard.

At any rate, Red. You have to remember that many of the people from gamefaqs snuck past border patrol and crossed over here a while ago. It was inevitable considering this site for the time being, was the source for the most leaks.

And really, it has always been complainers that bark the loudest. Those who encourage typically don't talk as loud or don't talk at all. Many people don't seem to say much when they like something. They just continue to be happy and move on without a fuss.

My personal belief though is that most of the hatred is from not playing the game. I have not yet heard someone who has the game complain about the roster at all. It's mostly just us who don't have the experience of playing. No worries, man. When w get the game everything will go back to the way the fandom was during melee.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I did... It was a decent post, but something about it screams for the mods and flamers...

Anyhow, there are some good points, but I think it fits the redundancy that it was trying point out... I've seen posts that say the same thing, and it won't mean anything soon once people calm down...or when Brawl comes out... :/

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
Don't be childish, it will be 'Yes' and 'No'... like everything else on these boards.

Yup, it seems that is the state of the boards as of now. People can't seem to type anything without it being deemed as an insult. This game will be better than Melee no doubt. If you don't like the game no one if forcing you to buy it, nor to get so invloved either folks.

Personally I feel rather than locking all these old threads of the past that they ought to be removed. Consider spring cleaning, only with redudant threads no longer needed ( Is the Geno, Bomberman, Krystal or any 35 roster thread still need?).

You may not like the destination, but surely you enjoyed the ride.

Good post, look forward to one day battling you online one day, also have a cookie.

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
I did. Thank you. At least someone here sees sense!

This bickering MUST stop. For those of you unhappy with the roster...get over it. There's absolutely NOTHING you can do. Say hateful things about Sakurai and us, whatever, but it won't change anything. Accept it, because there's nothing else you can do. If you are happy with the roster, be polite about it. "Holier than thou" attitudes won't help. Get over yourself!

You could say I'm very indignant about how the boards have been behaving (and not just technically, though it has been getting better as of late). Smashboards is a beacon of reason and rational thought! Or was until recently. Become that shining example once again!

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It will all eventually pass, the nature of this kind of thing. For me it's simply not passing fast enough XD

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
wow......

just wow really

with the huge influx of gamefaqs members over here its not that we are incompetent or whiners, its that gamefaqs is leaking into our forum and our image is being tarnished.

people will complain and bicker ofcourse...its human nature, but keeep in mind this is smashboards. This is one of the best run forums. The Mods here are fair, gracious, yet stern! You'd be hard pressed to find a better online smash community, or a better online community for that matter.

Unfortunately, this really does summarize the antics of the Brawl Boards. A majority of the people here can't think about anything else besides fulfilling their self gratifications, and complain about them not being a reality. I assumed that the irrational behavior, arguments, and constant odious debating would end, but things didn't change. These people don't understand the development sacrifices made for this game.

I simply wish that these boards will eventually become like the Melee boards, but that isn't going to be happening at this rate.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Exactly what I thought, only in my mind it sounded much shorter ;)...
Anyways, good thing you wrote this, finally someone who doesn't act like Smash Bros is their most hated game...
This is a forum to talk about the game we all love, not the game we all shall throw stones at!!

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I'm going to be one of those "prophets" and predict that once the game comes out to the USA, people will have finally gotten over their ego's and everyone will be playing the game. Sure, there will be people complaining and arguing, but it'll be over new stuff and not over the same old bull**** on these boards right now.

I (at 1st) thought you crossed the line when you compared this place to GameFAQs, then I took a second look at this enviroment...yeah, its not as bad as GameFAQs, but this place has become depressing. GameFAQs' boards make me angry, right now Smashboards make me gloomy. Never before would I have though so many people would go to arms over a Smash title like this!

If somebody disagrees with the state of this game, I just let them talk. I don't argue with people. If I did, I'd be in a flame war right now with everyone who doesn't like Lucario, Wolf, and R.O.B. (three characters I did want in this game). Meh, I try not to let these pessimist get to me because the game is what it is, and the optimists aren't saints, either. At the very least, I do have my own opinion of the game and I'm not letting anyone change that.

You have posted the best thread I've read on any website forum today. It made my day.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Thats why I left the brawl boards. But then I came back. Anyway... wait what? Fawriel? What did he do? Have you even heard A Link to the snitch?

drengist

Smash Journeyman
I see, you made a complaining thread where you basically complain about complaining. Although you proved yourself capable to reasoning and writing sentences that make sense, you kind of made yourself look silly.

I think everybody's suffering from the post-release trauma. The game so higly anticipated like Brawl cannot ever live up to its expectations at first, but after enough time people get tired of complaining. Just wait and see.

Have you seen Gimpy, Yoko or Mic commenting on the recent event? I haven't. They're doing the right thing by staying away from these boards for awhile, and you ought to do same thing if you're so angry.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
I see, you made a complaining thread where you basically complain about complaining. Although you proved yourself capable to reasoning and writing sentences that make sense, you kind of made yourself look silly.

I think everybody's suffering from the post-release trauma. The game so higly anticipated like Brawl cannot ever live up to its expectations at first, but after enough time people get tired of complaining. Just wait and see.

Have you seen Gimpy, Yoko or Mic commenting on the recent event? I haven't. They're doing the right thing by staying away from these boards for awhile, and you ought to do same thing if you're so angry.
very true. complaining about complaining... how noble

Zan-kun

Smash Rookie
For awhile now, I've felt the same. This board has become so childish. When I joined a few years back, it was straight up Melee discussion with hardcore debates on gameplay tactics, match ups, whatever new advanced tech that became viable. I loved it.

Nowadays Smashboards is essentially, like stated before, like GameFAQS. Especially when people were ignorant to whatever changes that were made to the game. "It just not like Melee!" No ****, really? "No L canceling or wavedashing, Brawl fails" Wow, really? Even though it took a few years before these things came together instead of a few days that you haven't even played yet.

Jebus, if this keeps up, I don't want to be associated with the Smash community. There has been far more meaningful discussion about gameplay in a single thread on another forum than there has been on the entirety of Smashboards for months. I hope you guys can pull yourselves together, instead of complaining about a freaking roster.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
wow, you finally said what everyone was thinking; that everyone should just get over the disappointment or happiness from the roster, and move on.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
The frustration of seeing so many complaint threads a day will be eased to me with the knowledge that once the game DOES come out, everyone will forget about it and just talk about how awesome it is.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Heh, what? Since when do I insult people who have a different opinion? You're either exaggerating gravely or I went on a blind rampage that I can't recall. I don't even remember saying anything to you...
Tell me what the situation was and I'll tell you what you did to tick me off, but I can guarantee you that it had nothing to do with an inability to accept other people's opinions.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm honestly interested in what the situation was. I had been quite irritable the past few days, so it might be that I went off on a perceived "n00b" for little to no reason. I don't like being an *******, so I want to see if my post was justified or not.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Haha. Considering that I've been running around here and being flamed myself for not 100% agreeing on the roster and not jumping bandwagon when everything came up I think you're going to have to rethink that. We're the ones that are being stereotyped into the stupid image of someone who complains cause "2350723057 characters didn't get in brawlz!!1" Guess what everyone? We're not, and I feel completely turned to getting the short end of the stick in this game with the roster. Most of the people who are upset about the roster are not whining about how ****ty the game is because we know it's not.

And btw, you must be mistaken because Fawriel is one of the nicest people I know of in this forum full of elitist tourney*** pricks.

KingKraken

Smash Journeyman
As "dissapointing" as SOME (not all) of the members of SWF can be, please understand that with Brawl's release in Japan many new members have come here in search of the self proclaimed "American Smash Community". With this in mind, remember that (unfortunately) not all new members read the FAQ's on this board, so they don't know how this forum is run. Also, many of them come from sites such as GameFAQs, as you stated, so they are used to this level of spam. In the future, instead of further contributing to the problem and making an intirely new thread, I suggest that you politely explain to them how things are run, or even direct them to the FAQ post.

Discord002

Smash Rookie
This last week has been rough for many brawl fans. We have been getting constant updates, and tons of info (both correct and fake). New characters popped up all over the place, and a big bunch of the community got too carried away. Alot of people began to just focus on the characters, and lost track of the rest of the game. Most of them will get over it, some wont buy the game, and a few will stay mad about it forever. Not much the rest of us can do with it. I expect the angry posts will be gone soon tho, at least when the US version is released.

Im glad i read this post, at least theres some people here thats still serious. Alot of good replies in this thread as well. Also a good thing that you made a long post, as most of the "OMG I HAET ROB" (and the rest of their kind) wont read anything thats longer than 3 sentences and doesnt have caps lock on.

Looking forward to brawling and discussing with everyone here.

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think we need the mods should lock all the ******** whining topics they serve no useful purpose, and they don't do anything for the forum. and I also think repeating offenders she be suspended, but I'm not in a position of power so I'm gonna shut my trap.

Dojo999

Smash Journeyman
I think some people are just mad because they don't actually have the game. They know they have to wait another month and a half to get the actual thing, so they're trying to convince themselves that it sucks to ease the pain. Trying to tell themselves they don't want it. Notice that you don't hear anything from the lucky few who were actually able to obtain the game.

But yeah, you're right. It's a lot of arguments lately. People who feel the need to express their own specific reasons as to why brawl is not good. And even the people starting threads to cuss out those whiners, even those threads are starting to clutter, cause their not getting through to the intended audience. But oh well, hopefully it will die down soon.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
This last week has been rough for many brawl fans. We have been getting constant updates, and tons of info (both correct and fake). New characters popped up all over the place, and a big bunch of the community got too carried away. Alot of people began to just focus on the characters, and lost track of the rest of the game. Most of them will get over it, some wont buy the game, and a few will stay mad about it forever. Not much the rest of us can do with it. I expect the angry posts will be gone soon tho, at least when the US version is released.

Im glad i read this post, at least theres some people here thats still serious. Alot of good replies in this thread as well. Also a good thing that you made a long post, as most of the "OMG I HAET ROB" (and the rest of their kind) wont read anything thats longer than 3 sentences and doesnt have caps lock on.

Wait what? What is your problem? People don't like the roster because of how half ***** it is and you start saying **** like that? Its people like you that start bloody arguments and flame wars I mean you just joined this bloody forum today. and you think you can start judging other people? Seriously, if all your going to post is stupid arrogant flame bait like that then its best if you just leave.

S2

Smash Lord
You know what?

In a few months when people start getting good at Brawl, we aren't going to take this newb #&@# anymore.

The board was filled with an unusual amount of people simply because of the Brawl roster reveal. Most of these new members are not tournament players and SWF will not appeal to them once roster complaining and speculation goes away.

Mods are quicker to close trolling here. Both character boards and the general board will become tournament strategy forums, just like what happened with Melee.

The reason we are getting compared to GFAQs is because we got flooded by their members during the last couple months.

This board doesn't tolerate the whining of non-tourney players like GFAQS does. When we get the game and the trolls here start making topics about "ANTI advanced techs", they'll get topics locked, warned, and they'll go back to GFAQS where the mods don't care.

It's a phase and anyone who has a very low post count or a membership that isn't a year old is probably a GFAQer who is just passing through. Sorry if I offended any legitimate tourney players who simply hadn't registered on the boards till recently.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion

lol....some will stay mad forever.... >.>

lol....doubt it...lmao

each and every able person on smash boards will buy a copy if they can afford it.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
You know what?

In a few months when people start getting good at Brawl, we aren't going to take this newb #&@# anymore.

The board was filled with an unusual amount of people simply because of the Brawl roster reveal. Most of these new members are not tournament players and SWF will not appeal to them once roster complaining and speculation goes away.

Mods are quicker to close trolling here. Both character boards and the general board will become tournament strategy forums, just like what happened with Melee.

The reason we are getting compared to GFAQs is because we got flooded by their members during the last couple months.

This board doesn't tolerate the whining of non-tourney players like GFAQS does. When we get the game and the trolls here start making topics about "ANTI advanced techs", they'll get topics locked, warned, and they'll go back to GFAQS where the mods don't care.

It's a phase and anyone who has a very low post count or a membership that isn't a year old is probably a GFAQer who is just passing through. Sorry if I offended any legitimate tourney players who simply hadn't registered on the boards till recently.
Dont forget people who are on thier third account ; )

Antinegative

Smash Apprentice
I think the bottom line is what has already been said a few times. If all the complaining (be it valid or not) is upsetting you then just give it some time and avoid the boards for awhile. Even the most rabid roster haters will eventually settle down and the boards will go back to being largely positive as we slip back into "I can't wait to get this game" mode.

Top Bottom