• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) This is a pretty big state of emergency. Skull Girls is about to surpass Melee!

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Everybody just calm down, Melee will be at EVO this year

We raised a huge sum of money with the latest fundraiser WITHOUT any support from Nintendo or the makers of the game

We can easily do it again, we just need to organize another fundraiser and people need to hold off their donations until then

I suggest we organize a fundraiser at the very end of this run, let's snipe them

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I agree entirely with having another big fundraiser.

Time to show the FGC what clutch means.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
By the way, the "new" end-date of the fundraiser (31st at 11:59 PST) is very convenient for Skullgirls. Their big donation drive occurred during the Salty Cupcakes Stream, hosted by head Skullgirls developer Mike Z. The Salty Cupcakes stream is also a weekly Skullgirls tournament that attracts top Skullgirls players from the west coast and occurs every Thursday evening, meaning they'll be able to have another donation drive the day of and up until the donations close for EVO's 8th game. On top of that, that stream is based in California, which is PST, although Las Vegas also shares that timezone. Though technically our stream is also based in PST, we've got members from EST as well as people calling in from all over the continent and possibly world. It seems just a bit too convenient for them to me.

We can still win, though. As many others have said, we need to hold off on donating until we get organized. This isn't over by any means. I have faith both in us as a community and the ability of our leaders to organize & motivate us to win this. Let's do it, folks. For Melee!

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I moved the forum over to the Breast Cancer Research Drive subforum that is now located in the Melee Forums. Let's try to keep everything in one forum so we can keep all the information close together and easily viewable for everyone.

#teamgoku

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Soo not to break the mood but.. I don't know if people realized... it's not like we are against some massive amounts of SK fans here. We are against the dev himself. Which, you know, isn't really the most fair way to do it. I'd imagine that if Nintendo cared about a 12yr old game they could throw 100k in a moment but I thought that this wasn't what this "popularity contest" was thought to be.

Because, you know, in the end, the first facebook pool was made for this very reason, and I guess what EVO should've cared in the end is "what do people want as 8th games?".
And I don't know how things have shifted to "let's make those who have a bigger pocket win a spot". I know it's for charity, so that's pretty good. But as I said before, of course a dev, especially an indie one,perfectly knows that EVO is also a marketing investment. Because that's what it is for them.
So yeah, I've gotta say that it ****ing sucks, and I hope we win this.

zmx

Smash Lord
Soo not to break the mood but.. I don't know if people realized... it's not like we are against some massive amounts of SK fans here. We are against the dev himself. Which, you know, isn't really the most fair way to do it. I'd imagine that if Nintendo cared about a 12yr old game they could throw 100k in a moment but I thought that this wasn't what this "popularity contest" was thought to be.

Because, you know, in the end, the first facebook pool was made for this very reason, and I guess what EVO should've cared in the end is "what do people want as 8th games?".
And I don't know how things have shifted to "let's make those who have a bigger pocket win a spot". I know it's for charity, so that's pretty good. But as I said before, of course a dev, especially an indie one,perfectly knows that EVO is also a marketing investment. Because that's what it is for them.
So yeah, I've gotta say that it ****ing sucks, and I hope we win this.
Developers are not allowed to donate. Mike Z did not donate afaik.
He only promoted the drive which is well within the rules to do.

With that being said I agree. The biggest advantage SG has over Smash is the actual devs. promoting the contest and giving incentives to donate which Nintendo wouldn't do in a million years. Heck if Sakurai promoted this like once on his Twitter, that alone would probably be enough to seal the deal for Melee. But it's just not going to happen.

Laijin

Smash Hero
On the flip side, do you think when we win this contest we can show Nintendo at the amount of money raised and be like "HA. LOOK AT WHAT WE'VE DONE. PROUD OF US YET?"
Like we're talking to an extremely neglecting and abusing father lol

Bones0

Smash Legend
apparently they have a stream with the voice actors doing custom messages for ppl or something. so gay
Who cares? I say we fight fire with fire.

Quick, someone contact Fuzzyness!

5k is not a lead!
Literally LOLed at this. XD

I'm the cheapest person in the world, but even I can't stand to see Melee lose like this, so I'm definitely donating. Has anyone actually TRIED tweeting Sakurai about this simply asking for some moral support? Like someone said, even if he just tweeted the donation link and said "It's for a good cause!" the donations would go through the roof.

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
They'll be reaching 21k in a few minutes, i'm kind of sad, they don't understand we deserve this, i already donated like 90$ so far, will try to donate more, next week

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone actually TRIED tweeting Sakurai about this simply asking for some moral support? Like someone said, even if he just tweeted the donation link and said "It's for a good cause!" the donations would go through the roof.
please!!!!! do this! just try!

zmx

Smash Lord
Alright, let's all bombard Sakurai's twitter.

Btw just so you all know, Sakurai has been getting annoyed recently and has pledged to stay off Twitter mostly for a while and just work on Smash 4.

I guess it's still worth a shot though even if the odds are near impossible he'd agree to this even if he saw it.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Getting in contact with Sakurai is not happening. Don't waste your time, guys.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Don't be so pessimistic. I'm sure Sakurai won't dismiss Breast Cancer. You would have to be a certian kind of ******* to say "psh breast cancer who cares".
Especially when its related to HIS GAME and Breast Cancer.

Its worth a shot

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Or he just won't reply at all.

But it's not like we have anything to lose in trying to contact him.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
How are they beating us??? If i could, i would done a lot of money!

lets keep fighting, its not over. Im still shocked how skullgirls got THAT much money!

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'm in on the spirit bomb, Ramen noodles for a year? sounds good

how many broke college gamers does it take to to cure breast cancer?

Shimesaba

Smash Apprentice
I sent Sakurai a tweet about the drive with a link to the SRK page explaining things about a week ago, and he never acknowledged it.

That said, if anyone else wants to try their luck, I'm happy to do any necessary Japanese translation.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I've just done the same actually, in English though.

Think he wouldn't even bother with that?

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Developers are not allowed to donate. Mike Z did not donate afaik.
He only promoted the drive which is well within the rules to do.

With that being said I agree. The biggest advantage SG has over Smash is the actual devs. promoting the contest and giving incentives to donate which Nintendo wouldn't do in a million years. Heck if Sakurai promoted this like once on his Twitter, that alone would probably be enough to seal the deal for Melee. But it's just not going to happen.
That is not true. One thing is to say it publically, another is to make it done by someone that you know. If you read his posts, he even talks about other matches that I am making sure they wait and do it later. I really don't see the difference between putting your own money and getting the development team involved (and even the VAs involved... so if I got involved Smash's combat designer is ok?? Smh) , really... but anyway... we got this

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
All this skullgirls support makes me mad. Im sorry to any Skullgirls players but i REALLY think melee deserves this. Skillgirls is so new and will have its time to shine. Melee is pretty old and it needs a large event like this. If I can get a friend to let me use their paypal, Im gonna donate my winnings from the last melee tourney I played at, the first tourney that I won money at. 30 Bucks :)

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
In my opinion i think melee deserves the victory, is there something wrong with what i said?

Jonas

Smash Champion
Just look at this extremely untasteful comment left by the Skull Girls twitter. So disgusted by them. We can't lose to a bunch of douchebags.
If you're insulted by the "real fighting game" comments, then it's because you don't actually think your game is a real fighting game, and you're self conscious about it for some reason. Like, imagine you were in the SF4 community and someone called your game out on not being a "real fighting game." Would you be insulted? No, you'd laugh at the fool because you knew your game was just as much a fighting game as any.

Whether you think Melee is an actual fighting game or not, you need to stop taking these comments seriously because
A) who cares what some a**hole on the internet thinks?
B) it's just a label that doesn't say anything about the quality of the game so nobody really gives a s***. It brings up the debate of whether it has a place at EVO, but that's irrelevant right now, since the EVO staff are willing to adopt it into the line-up this year.

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
Its not the fact that they think melee isnt a real "fighting" game, its just the fact that they got pretty cocky because they were gaining money quickly. We have the greater community and I think that we can take them.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
One thing to keep in mind is that the number right now on SG's donation amount page is definitely not the last of it; it looks like there's another donation drive planned (no telling if it will be as big as the last one, but I have a feeling if they have another "surprise" as an incentive, it might be)... so even though their donations have slowed to a crawl in comparison to ours, we have to think as if we're still going to lose even if we manage to match their current 21k (to be safe, I'm going to assume they're going to be able to add at least 5k to their current amount).

Don't get cocky, and don't strain relations between the communities! Their rogue tweet gave us a huge boost (including the 2 day stream), so we should assume that anything inflammatory on our end that gets picked up by their community will have a similar effect. Keep things polite and civil! With that being said, let's do our best to get as high as possible.

Atlus8

Smash Master
One thing to keep in mind is that the number right now on SG's donation amount page is definitely not the last of it; it looks like there's another donation drive planned (no telling if it will be as big as the last one, but I have a feeling if they have another "surprise" as an incentive, it might be)... so even though their donations have slowed to a crawl in comparison to ours, we have to think as if we're still going to lose even if we manage to match their current 21k (to be safe, I'm going to assume they're going to be able to add at least 5k to their current amount).

Don't get cocky, and don't strain relations between the communities! Their rogue tweet gave us a huge boost (including the 2 day stream), so we should assume that anything inflammatory on our end that gets picked up by their community will have a similar effect. Keep things polite and civil! With that being said, let's do our best to get as high as possible.
**** yeah! What this person said!

:phone:

Top Bottom