• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thirty Days of Life - Competitive Discussion Thread

Latch

Smash Apprentice
There isn't really a rule. I would say 1 pummel after 70, 2 after 120... lol. Pretty much what sync said though - I like just throwing my opponent away for the most part. Blue uthrow is probably the most reliable/earliest kill throw imo.... but I always stale my f/bthrow because getting the opponent offstage is easy/free damage (so I'm a bit bias there :p ). I usually assume my opponent knows which way to DI by the time I can input throws, because by the time we grab and have the pikmin go out / retrieve the opponent and we're able to throw... they should already be holding the correct direction. ^^;
I think purple Uthrow is the earliest kill throw, but blue is most reliable since the grab range is ~300X more than with purple lol. Ya I usually throw at least 3 pikmin offstage towards the opponent whenever they are offstage. I am always surprised by how many opponents don't get them off until they are back onstage, even though their nairs would remove them instantly (pika, MK, oli, ICs, DK, etc).

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Not really. Most of his A.T.s can be found in Deflowered! and the rest (like Usmash OoS, JC reverse Usmash, etc.) are universal.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Only if you find a way to do all three at the same time. :p
Olimar would be banned the next day, too.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Ya it's a pretty **** move... I hate when my minions turn on me while I'm playing a char with a reflector. I feel so bad to kill them and I always forget to whistle them off.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Of course you can C-stick and grab at the same time. Just hold shield. :rolleyes:

Sync.

Smash Champion
One of the biggest things about getting better is adapting! Always be ready to adapt. This game is rock paper scissors especially if you play Olimar! Always be smart and be sure to mix it up constantly!

Latch

Smash Apprentice
One of the biggest things about getting better is adapting! Always be ready to adapt. This game is rock paper scissors especially if you play Olimar! Always be smart and be sure to mix it up constantly!
...random...
Also rock-paper-scissors is sooo mainstream. Pros go with rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock

SethT

Smash Ace
Today I learned the real power of mindgames and rock paper scissors. Everytime it came down to rock paper scissors to decide something, i'd always go rock and pretend to frustrated at why I'd always lose, biding my time until the day where I needed to win something.

Today was that day, for the last delicious piece of fried sushi, I busted out the scissors netting myself the last piece.

I just felt I needed to express my long awaited success.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Today I learned the real power of mindgames and rock paper scissors. Everytime it came down to rock paper scissors to decide something, i'd always go rock and pretend to frustrated at why I'd always lose, biding my time until the day where I needed to win something.

Today was that day, for the last delicious piece of fried sushi, I busted out the scissors netting myself the last piece.

I just felt I needed to express my long awaited success.
Same strategy works in tourneys! Always SD every stock in every match, then when you get to GF you don't SD and instead win. Pro strat right there

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Okay, so getting on a topic suitable for this topic...
I've recently been finding that certain things (playing against a random scrub with another character between matches, using the restroom before each match) really help me concentrate.

RANDOM FACTS I WASN'T AWARE OF TIME:

Can't remember if this was ever mentioned but this blurb in Deflowered! is incorrect:

"1% Armor phenomena:
For reasons unknown, 1% damage attacks do not affect a pikmin’s HP as normal attacks do. While taking many 1% attacks, the live at a much higher percent than 2% attacks."

Also, pikmin don't take damage from attacks if they actually clank (tried Fox's jab against a Dsmash on uneven terrain).

Learning is fun.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
That would make sense, since characters already don't take damage when a move clanks. And yeah, I never tested the 1% armor thing, I just remember it being in NC_Echo's guide way back when. Not surprised that it's incorrect, though.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
...Did you learn something, Latch? If so, it counts as learning.
I'm a bit confused about why you're comparing shield dropping to platform canceling. They both have very different applications.

So... I'd like to talk about how little things make a huge difference.
As many of you know, my internet connection is horrible (worse than 97% of internet connections in America, according to two speed tests), so I've really only had my videos to analyze. I apologize for not using a video of higher-level players and it's going to be pretty rambling because I'm tired as HELL.

After getting Fthrown, DI away, airdodge, Fsmash
Easy 14% and distance. Had I not charged in like an idiot to press my perceived advantage, it would have been a good chance to put the situation back toward normal a bit.

Notice that it works later after picking a defensive option failed.

Delaying tosses to sort
Obvious advantage is obvious.

Foxtrot, Hyphen Usmash
Free kill. They expect a dashing Usmash, but the foxtrot adds a slight delay.
Could just charge it, but that leaves less room for error when predicting the landing and telegraphs your attack a bit.

Fair counter
Nietono uses Fair a lot. There's a good reason for that.
Comes out on Frame 7, good range, decent launch angle, covers landings well, etc.
Hell, the landing lag is 15 frames, only a tiny bit longer than the cooldown on Usmash (after the hitbubble disappears).
Anyway, since the move starts high and comes down, it's also ideal for hitting over certain other moves, no?

There's also delaying Fair to the last second and FFing it while advancing. Couldn't find an example where I got it to work, but it's worked in the past. Makes them think that you're going to empty SH into an Fsmash, giving a false sense of security in their ability to punish your laggy move. Plus, it makes Olimar look like a cobra rearing up to strike or something, super sexy.

Pikmin Toss to Fair

If they're conditioned to expect a Fair, the low cooldown of pikmin toss allows for that slight delay that punishes many defensive options.

Also wow, Fair can be so safe on-shield.

Drifting
Basically, just use whistle, airdodge and basic aerial movement to make them think that you're going one way. Doesn't always have to be a double whistle bounce or anything like that. Feels a bit more like you're in control compared to plain whistle bouncing.

See also: 1:56 (put the Marth in a bad position), 2:24 (drifting gone wrong, the dangers of autopilot)

Uair to sort pikmin
Allows you to stay mobile while sorting (compared to Usmash/Dsmash), gives you a good peek at your line, pretty fast.
Just be careful with timing fastfalling. 30 frame landing lag is actually kind of painful.
Also, don't stop Uairing offstage when momentum canceling until you get a purple to the front.

If other people want to do this with their videos, it'd be pretty nifty. It'd really help me specifically in gleaning tactics from you guys (since my internet connection is GARBAGE and I'd only have to load specific points), as well as helping the community as a whole by pointing useful things out.
No matter how stupid it seems to you, point it out. I've pointed out some dumb stuff and stuff that I KNOW every other Olimar knows about, but everyone can use a refresher.

Also, feel free to point out when something I'm saying is useless bull****. It's the only way to come to a full understanding.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Oops I must be using the wrong term... what's it called when you platform cancel using down and shield instead of Dair? That's what I meant by shield dropping. Also, nice info clover! I really need to start Uair sorting, especially whilst recovering. Stage spiking people hangin on the edge with a fat purple pikmin is soooo much fun XD

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
In what I was referring to, you execute the initial dash animation by tapping in a direction and allowing the control stick to return to a neutral position (the foxtrot part), then executing a dashing Usmash.
So basically, it'd be more like "Dash -> Dash -> Usmash".

People often expect an Olimar to Usmash, Dash grab, or SH Fair immediately, so that foxtrot can bait out an airdodge/spotdodge or just force them to hold their shield out a little longer just by the slight delay it causes.

Keep in mind that many of these aren't official terms and more just little mindgames and things (though obviously "foxtrot" is an official term). ^^;

Seriously, I think we should share little things like this more often. Rich did it in his threads and I got a bit out of it.

zyth

Smash Lord
so i noticed somethin the other day practicin with my friend. if u FF Dair into Diddys up-b then u get hit by his rocket as your hittin him, saving urself from suicide and in most cases, spiking diddy. has this been noted by anyone else before?

Asa

Smash Hero
you don't have to fast fall it, just hit him with a dair

what do you guys think of bair? if you hit someone at the base of the pikmin it'll throw the opponent in front of olimar, setting up for some interesting followups

Sync.

Smash Champion
so i noticed somethin the other day practicin with my friend. if u FF Dair into Diddys up-b then u get hit by his rocket as your hittin him, saving urself from suicide and in most cases, spiking diddy. has this been noted by anyone else before?
Yes, it's part of the MU. The safer option is to invincible nair from the ledge. It's safer and you usually don't blow up. I wouldn't suggest doing this often though, unless you have a great lead or it's low risk, high reward.

:phone:

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Uugg :urg: i really suck with all these acronyms
Does anybody know wut FF means?

and actualy is there a smash acronym thread?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Fast fall

Put them all in one post and I'll answer your questions.

Top Bottom