• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Third Party Controllers?

Recoil

Smash Journeyman
Hi, I'm wondering if it was worth it to buy a third party gc controller for brawl? I've heard that they lag or die or quickly, so I was wondering your opinion on them.

I saw a couple at swap meet brand new with the exact same style as the official nintendo ones but without the nintendo name on the top for only 15 dollars, while @ gamestop, the used crappy ones are also 15 dollars... or should I fork over 20+ dollars for a completely new first party one? :|

Corigames

Smash Hero
3rd party controllers aren't normally used because:
A) Ones with turbo buttons or other 'special' features are usually banned
B) Are lower quality and break much faster
C) Have lower then good control sticks (IMO)

freetyme

Smash Cadet
If you're using a GC controller I'd just stick with the normal ones and buy an extension cable (they go for a couple bucks on amazon). I personally use the Nyko Wireless "Wing" Classic controller when I'm playing Brawl. Or my normal wired classic controller with Nyko grips. (combined with my nyko wii chargers I think that NYKO has enough of my money by now)

But as GC controllers go I really haven't found a third-party solution I like. Mostly because the GC is so well designed to begin with. If I were you, I would just stick with the normal GC. Forget the wavebird. . . it's cool but lags some too.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
If you want a GC Controller, just buy an original, so you don't EVER have to worry in tourneys if your controller gets banned because your controller could have unknown features like Autofire. You also will never have to worry about the build quality.

Recoil

Smash Journeyman
I currently have an original one from the GC itself but I pretty much borrowed it from a friend, and the Swapmeet one I'm pretty sure it has no turbo button.

So, what about buying a used one from Gamestop? Still worth it?

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
dont buy a used controller you never know what its been through
used games is another story because u can tell by the disk
but things can be pretty ****ed up on a gc controller without even knowing it
so get an official nintendo brand new controller its worth it

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
dont buy a used controller you never know what its been through
used games is another story because u can tell by the disk
but things can be pretty ****ed up on a gc controller without even knowing it
so get an official nintendo brand new controller its worth it
You should also ask the clerk/workers to test the used controller on a nearby TV if they have one......

They should still sell good GC controllers, I see quite a few of them around.

Top Bottom