• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things you thought about "tiers" before knowing about the competetive scene

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
I think tiers are not as important as the get made out to be. I mean obviously fox is better than kirby or pichu, but it also depends on what kind of strategy you use. For example I'm a lot better with Mewtwo than a lot of characters who are in tiers above him because I use his moves to evade attacks and then just throw items at my opponnet, so it is not hard to beat characters who have mostly close ranged attacks. As for Marth, i'm absolutely terrible with him even though he is supposedly the 3rd best in melee.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The first I heard about "Tiers" was the first time I condemned them and I never really stopped doing so.
I was never blissfully ignorant enough to assume that every game had perfect balance. Some characters are, indeed, superior, but anyone who honestly believed that such balance could be quantified and ordered by a finite number of people of finite skill was condemned in my eyes.

I have become a lot more accepting in my time here but the underlying fact remains. The fact that Melee can keep going and keep having new stars shows that it's bigger than any of us. To think you can reduce everything to percentages is a little absurd and to believe that you can do so accurately is utterly ridiculous.

But, if you're wanting to talk about character strengths, I had very little opinion back then. Kirby was obviously the best character but not for any strength reasons, simply because he had the most visually and mechanically distinct attacks. He was wacky and he had personality and I could actually play as him.
The only characters I had a power level opinion on were Roy, clearly a bad Marth, Ganondorf, a horrendously slow falcon and thus one of the worst, and the Links, down there with him because they were lacking in virtually every area (only 2 jumps, predictable recovery move, lots of endlag on grab, slow item throwing and mediocre damage). Oh and Ice Climbers, their 2 on 1 ability made them broken.
Besides Link, I'd say I did ok.

Last edited:

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I honestly thought the tier lists were based on how much a character is used, but I was wrong.

I always thought Pikachu and Kirby were OP as well, but again I was wrong (Even though I still main them competitively)

Top Bottom