• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

They really got lazy with the trophies this time around

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
As for the trophies, I agree fully that they skimped on them and this also created an insanely unequal trophy representation. Kirby got a bunch, 10 of them being Kirbys, while MOTHER and F-Zero barely get anything. You might me remember me complaining a while back about the lack of MOTHER trophies. Eventually, we ended up on the subject of improper representation which every series but Mario and Kirby have been subject to.
Yeah, the Kirby trophy outbreak is probably due to the fact that Sakurai himself worked on the games. It's probably also the reason that Kirby got two more characters when it's one of Nintendo's less popular series. I am a big fan of Kirby, don't get me wrong, nor am I trying to say Sakurai is evil and out to get us; I'm just saying that Sakurai probably has a bias, and it shows.

I do rather wish MOTHER had gotten more trophies.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I see where you're coming from, and I agree that Trophies don't matter that much, but the lack of effort really shows a little too much. If they're lazy about it, it shouldn't show, especially not with such a widely awaited game.

Seriously, what bothers me the most is the obvious lack of effort here.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
There is over 500 trophies in brawl. Now, a single model can take days to complete (modeling, texturing ect). Those people have to get payed so I don't want to hear people saying 'they should have hired more 3d artists'
In the end it's a lot easier, cheaper and faster to recycle models. Besides, would you rather have the dev team focus on making all those trophies perfect, or would you rather them focus on SSE, gameplay, internet gameplay ect...
Normally I'd agree with you, but I could hardly call the SSE great. And there was definite room for roster and possibly stage improvement. And why the hell isn't there any SM Galaxy representation? It wasn't the best thing ever, but it certainly topped Sunshine! And still Mario keeps his half-decade-old Fludd. Not to mention stickers, lame masterpiece demos, a very limited stage builder, a trophy diorama mode with camera and trophy positioning restrictions, the fact that every single battle with items on turns into a "grab the Dragoon parts" fest...
The list goes on...we get crappy, unrepresentative trophies in exchange for pretty much nothing. What does Yeta have to do with the history of Zelda? Why is there no Epona? Why does a Hammer Bro get the spot of Mario AT while Bowser Jr. weeps in the shadows? Why do all the FE reps have blue hair and swords? Why do we have TWO Links? Why everything about Kirby and nothing about Nintendo's history? I mean, most of these "decisions" don't even make logical nor practical sense...

I really could have lived with crappy trophies. But it seems to me that there was very little "focus" on anything--the trophies are merely a reflection on the overall quality of the game. Too much **** and not enough substance. I will still play multiplayer like mad, but I will always be unhappy with all of the extra crap they added that kept it from being much better than it is.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I really could have lived with crappy trophies. But it seems to me that there was very little "focus" on anything--the trophies are merely a reflection on the overall quality of the game. Too much **** and not enough substance. I will still play multiplayer like mad, but I will always be unhappy with all of the extra crap they added that kept it from being much better than it is.
This is a very good point.

We were all so happy about how much junk they crammed into the game, but only until we actually got the game and realized that the amount of content took away from the quality of it. If they had removed the stickers altogether (they're 2D trophies without the descriptions which can give you extra powers in the SSE...did we need them? No.), put a little extra effort into the trophies (notice I said 'little') and put the rest of the effort into the core of the game (stages, stage builder, and characters) they probably would've been able to add completely new movesets. I'm not complaining about the clones, but Sakurai didn't want them so their presence clearly indicates that they didn't have enough time or didn't put enough effort in.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I don't see why the trophies aren't that interesting to some of you. In fact, I love the trophies from more recent games. Hell, so far it's been exciting just to collect Metroid Prime trophies because Metroid Prime is such an awesome game.
I love Metroid Prime... but are you freaking serious? It excites you to get models you can find in the game? Is that exciting? It was much more exciting to get the Ridley trophy in Melee... I really wanted a Mother Brain trophy this time around too.

Are people seriously complaining that Brawl didn't include trophies that were in Melee? Why would you want to see the the same trophy/character again? Once is enough; if you want to view those trophies, view them in Melee. There's no need to waste the space in Brawl.
Brilliant. NOT. Once is not enough in certain cases. Not EVERY trophy from Melee had to return, but many of those trophies did deserve to come back. They didn't have to get rid of all of them. Like the Paula and Poo trophies, for example. Waste the space? Yeah right. Not even a waste of time. Had they wanted to save time by recycling models, fine... I don't care, but don't neglect every single 2-D character because they didn't get a 3D model made for the game.

It's just a case of people being to critical of Brawl....AGAIN. C'mon people, realize that Brawl is mostly a showcase for Nintendo characters; an encylopedia of sorts. Did you really expect the game to have 500 trophies and make every one over-specific and elaborate?
No. The Melee trophies weren't even elaborate, but they were better than Brawl's. Marin's trophy? (relatively) Sub-par modeling. Awesome? Yeah. Zant's trophy? Meh.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I just thought of one specific example:

When I first saw Mewtwo's trophy in Brawl, it was in a video. At the time, I was multitasking and looking at trophies in Melee. Now, I looked at Mewtwo's trophy in Melee...then back to Brawl...and noticed that the Melee trophy actually looks better, at least to me.

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
I agree. The first Fire Emblem released in NA was released for the GBA in 2D. We only have Lyn from the game and we only have a trophy of her since she's an assist trophy. She isn't the only hero/heroine of the game. Where's Eliwood, or Hector? So many of the trophies are from old games.. Fire Emblem shouldn't be an exception. I could care less about all the newer Fire Emblem characters. Well, Ike's an exception. Since he's, y'know, playable.

cdilink

Smash Apprentice
They could just remove those ****ty useless advertising masterpieces and put more trophies.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Hm....Trophies are crap? Don't care. Stickers are useless? Don't care. Masterpieces are advertisments? Well, how do you think they make money? Now for the one thing I do care about: Characters! Roy, Mewtwo, and Pichu should have returned. And poor Pichu didn't even have character data found in the code, just a trophy. And the trophies are really pointless. Oh look, I have an Aura Storm trophy! Oh yeah, do you have this awesome Giga Bowser Trophy? Utterly pointless crap. The real appeal lies in the gameplay. Ever wonder why SSB is still played today when it doesn't have trophies? I end my rant now.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Yeah, they did. It's kind of dumb, but at least they've got a good number of trophies. They should've remembered, though... quality over quantity. :p

It really is disappointing to know that only like two Zelda games even got trophies... >>;

The Green Marth

Smash Cadet
Seriously.
In melee, pretty much every trophy, besides the adventure/all star trophies, were built entirely from scratch. So you had many pieces of nintendo memorabilia, old and new, got to see characters you never heard of before, and saw old characters you remember in beautiful 3d.

In brawl, that isn't the case.

Instead of actually putting effort into the trophies this time, they decided to take the cheap way out; almost every trophy in brawl are RECYCLED from past 3d models. Whats even worse is that if you never had a 3d game, then guess what? You a'int gettin' any trophy! So as a result, we only have LoZ trophies from WW and TP, and no trophies from ALttP, or any of the 2d zelda games. Heck, even Oot, or any N64 game, don't have any trophy representation.
It's pretty easy to see where every trophy was recylced from; almost all of the Pokemon trophies are recycled from Pokemon Colosseum/XD, star fox from assault/command, Kirby from Air Ride and that upcoming Wii kirby game, heck, we only have fire emblem trophies from PoR/RD, instead of the good, 2d fire emblem games, which really blows, since FE has a LARGE cast of characters that I would love to see in 3d. And heck, look at mother! the Mother series has NO 3d games, besides that canceled n64 game, so they REALLY got screwed over in the trophy department.
And don't even get me started on the "Other" set of trophies. Virtually all of the misc characters are either recent characters, who had 3d models, or ATs. So there's pretty much little to no "Whoa! Where are those guys from!? They look cool!" feel you got from seeing Donbe and Hikari, Mach Rider, Ayumi Taichibana, Maruho, or Ray MK II. Pretty much every Misc trophy are from recent games, that you've already heard of, sans Ouendan for some casual people.

Really, the only non-recycled trophies are Ouendan, the EBA, Ashely robbins, Stapy, and those things from Magical starsign, but even they already had 3d models to build apon.

It probably is a small thing to complain about, but it truely is a disappointment that the trophies are so limited this time around, ESPECIALLY since we have that super-special-awesome diorama mode. I may be the minority, but I'm sure other people have to agree with me here.
i agree 100%. glad SOMEONE said something about this

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
They could just remove those ****ty useless advertising masterpieces and put more trophies.
Yeah, does anyone actually get any use out of those demos? It's fun occasionally, maybe, but it hardly gives you a feel for the game.

Hm....Trophies are crap? Don't care. Stickers are useless? Don't care. Masterpieces are advertisments? Well, how do you think they make money? Now for the one thing I do care about: Characters! Roy, Mewtwo, and Pichu should have returned. And poor Pichu didn't even have character data found in the code, just a trophy. And the trophies are really pointless. Oh look, I have an Aura Storm trophy! Oh yeah, do you have this awesome Giga Bowser Trophy? Utterly pointless crap. The real appeal lies in the gameplay. Ever wonder why SSB is still played today when it doesn't have trophies? I end my rant now.
Yes, they make money by advertisements; but keep in mind that we already spent a good $50 on Brawl so we can...get an advertisement? It's rather ironic.

I agree though, gameplay is what really matters. But that's all the more reason to care about adding in all of this useless stuff, because they spend more time on that than the actual gameplay.

I agree that Roy and Mewtwo wouldn't have been bad to have return, but Roy's no big deal and people would go nuts if there were another 1st gen Pokemon. Why? I'm not sure, the original 150 will always be the best, but I've heard people complaining that there's only one playable character from any gen except for first.

And Pichu...you're probably the only person I've met that actually likes Pichu. No offense, but I never got a feel for Pichu in Melee, and he/she wasn't that good. Doing damage to yourself when you do an electric attack? Very light on top of it? Not that much more powerful than Pikachu (at least that I found)?

Mostly, I agree with you though, the only reason to collect trophies/stickers is so you can say you've beaten the game, once you collect them all, you'll only look at them on a whim every few years. At least, that's what the majority of people do.

Top Bottom