• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There really isn't any excuses for Nintendo NOT to meet demand.

naevorc

Smash Apprentice
Reggie made a comment that he was going to make sure they had plenty. But you never know.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo only have limited production facilities. They'll do what they can to get every copy they can on the shelf as is needed, but really they're still getting up to speed after the surprising success of the Wii.

COLDshiver

Smash Cadet
In theory, they should but it's unpredictable. Just like what Xenesis said, the surprising success of the wii caused shortages. But even though Nintendo has prepared for the huge amount of people buying it, you never know. Like Nintendo may have made a bajillion copies and it seems like it should almost be enough but then surprisingly it turned out that a bajillion bajillion people wanted it.

ElementSun

Smash Cadet
more copies of Super Smash are going to be sold in the U.S. than Wiis.

Yes, that is a paradox.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I'd say they've been producing US copies since maybe a week or two weeks ago. I'm pretty sure what's being used in the Best Buy tournaments are the final game. Halo 3 went into production about a month before launch and met demand for a worldwide launch. We should have more than enough copies for the NA market.

Finesse

Smash Rookie
It's not like Nintendo has unlimited supplies or resources to factors of production. This constraint to production goes for any firm or business, regardless of how much market share they take up in a given market. The idea that Nintendo "should" somehow just be able to cater to all consumers' needs and immediately fill demand because there's been this supposed "extra month" of production would be a very weak assumption. In effect, it could go either way; they may or may not satisfy North America's demand. Unless we're at Nintendo's head office overlooking production costs and other factors influencing the market, then we really don't know. Point is, we cannot just assume that just because Nintendo is considered a "big company" and that they had over a month between the Japanese and North American releases, that they would be able to somehow prevent shortages. I'm not saying that you're making that assumption, but I do believe many people in these forums seem to have this false notion. Again, Nintendo may have deeper pockets than most firms in the video game industry, but they also need to answer to larger costs than most as well.

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
Don't trust Reggie.

Reggie:"I can stand up hear and tell you,Super Smash Brothers will be released December 3rd in the US".

Try February 10th no wait,maybe March 9th.

And who starts a press conferences by saying "I'm happy,do you know why I'm happy?"

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I Would say they will have plenty to cover the pre orders and a good bit to try and cover the ones whom didn't pre order.

naevorc

Smash Apprentice
Don't trust Reggie.

Reggie:"I can stand up hear and tell you,Super Smash Brothers will be released December 3rd in the US".

Try February 10th no wait,maybe March 9th.

And who starts a press conferences by saying "I'm happy,do you know why I'm happy?"
Reggie isn't the one who decides the release date. Sakurai and his team are. It's done when it's done, period.

JustinAC

Smash Cadet
ITT: People who know nothing about accounting and supply chain management because they don't own a company of their own or haven't taken a college class.

JustinAC

Smash Cadet
Then why dont you explain?
There are plenty of formulas which accountants and managers use at companies which manufacture and sell a product, whether it be a small or a vast amount of customers. Companies cannot just simply produce an infinite amount of product because too often it will result in stale product sitting in inventory collecting dust. It is very important for companies to produce an adequate amount of units that will both satisfy the needs of the consumer as well as provide a profit for the period and not a loss due to too much extra inventory (it also costs money to keep excess product in inventory).

The problem is that the amount of product that Nintendo should produce is based on sales forecasts and it basically comes down to them predicting the percentage of Wii owners who will purchase brawl. Since nearly all of the Wiis that they sold to distributors are in the hands of a consumer, they don't have to worry about how many people actually own Wiis, but they will still need to try to create an accurate sales forecast to know what the right amount of product is.

It's simply not as cut and dry as everyone makes it out to be.

Finesse

Smash Rookie
There are plenty of formulas which accountants and managers use at companies which manufacture and sell a product, whether it be a small or a vast amount of customers. Companies cannot just simply produce an infinite amount of product because too often it will result in stale product sitting in inventory collecting dust. It is very important for companies to produce an adequate amount of units that will both satisfy the needs of the consumer as well as provide a profit for the period and not a loss due to too much extra inventory (it also costs money to keep excess product in inventory).

The problem is that the amount of product that Nintendo should produce is based on sales forecasts and it basically comes down to them predicting the percentage of Wii owners who will purchase brawl. Since nearly all of the Wiis that they sold to distributors are in the hands of a consumer, they don't have to worry about how many people actually own Wiis, but they will still need to try to create an accurate sales forecast to know what the right amount of product is.

It's simply not as cut and dry as everyone makes it out to be.
This is just about as accurate as it's going to get.. and hopefully more people can see it this way instead of having some sort of preconceived notion that Nintendo simply sits on their hands not pulling the lever fast enough for copies of Brawl to spew out between the Japanese release of Brawl and March 9th.
Again, that's not to say that everyone on these forums perceives it to be this way.

AznHalfCaucasian

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully Nintendo will make more Wiis while Brawl comes out, but I doubt it though

Supply and Demand analysis.

COLDshiver

Smash Cadet
My question is, can I get Brawl on the release date, even though I didn't pre-order? Will there be enough to meet pre-order and still be more for me?
Dunno, along with what Justin AC said, it will also depend on your area. My area will have plenty of supply because we have plenty of stores that will carry it (Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Circuit City, 2 Gamestops, just to name a few) and I never had a problem finding even Halo 3 or Guitar Hero 3. It will all depend on how many people in you area will buy it and how much your stores get. I have a friend who lived about 10 miles from my town and, although his stores get plenty, there are too many people wanting the game. He was able to get Halo 3 because he preorderd it but could not get Guitar hero 3 anywhere. He had to come over and we went to a Best Buy and found plenty of guitar hero 3's so it wasn't a problem. And also, another example, my Best Buy had 120 Wii's in stock on launch day. That's a lot! It was all gone though, the next day. Compared to other stores, like Walmart had 22 and Target had about 30-50. So it will depend on how many copies they are getting. If you are worried, definitely preorder if you can. If you can't, ask the stores, see how many copies they will be getting. If they don't know, ask next week, etc.

Top Bottom