• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There is still hope to rid us of the horrid .5 second delay!

Ghettoman

Smash Apprentice
Check this out: http://ggpo.net/blog/online/

Here's a part taken from the page if you dont want to check the link.

"GGPO.net is a new approach to online fighting games. Traditional networking algorithms used to compensate for network latency result in either slower than normal gameplay or an excessive amount of delay (or lag) tacked onto the beginning of each move. GGPO.net uses a novel way to hide latency which lets the game run at full speed without adding any delay to any of your moves. So your timing doesn’t change and combos come out like butter. It’s almost like playing head-to-head in your living room!

GGPO.net is currently in Public Alpha. This means we there are a quite a few bugs to be worked out in the matchmaking system, but the state of the networking code is rock solid (solid enough to open to the public, at least). Expect frequent server crashes, resets, and other random events which may disrupt your game. If this bothers you, come back when we’re in Public Beta. =)"

So, maybe we will be able to play Smash normally one day. Just maybe.

crazysh0cker

Smash Rookie
I've gotten use to the .5 delay >.< It doesn't really bother me...

Its kind of like a challenge..but maybe thats just me...

Maybe you haven't played TENKAICHI 3 online haha...(WORST EVER) and yet I still got use to that >.<.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Isn't GGPO for emulated games? Also, I've had quite a few matches lately with little to no input lag. Have you messed around with your router and forwarded the right ports or set your Wii to DMZ?

spyk90

Smash Cadet
I really hope they implement some kind of system to remove ALL delay. It's throwing off my game with people I meet in real life.

I was wondering if Japan's version of Brawl is experiencing this .5 second delay also?

espiochamaeleo

Smash Cadet
The delay only has to do with latency. In Japan internet connections are much faster and the data generally has a shorter distance to travel (Japan being a smaller country by far), so it's pretty much "win-win" for them. Once the US internet providers start offering fiber optic connections in more locations and at cheaper prices, and people actually upgrade their service, Brawl will play much better online. You can get matches where input delay isn't noticeable, but really only using "With Friends" and with people you know to have good connections.

Also, GGPO could only work with Brawl if a Wii emulator was created. Of course, there would be a lot more on the developer's minds than getting netplay to work. Technically the techniques and code used in GGPO could be ported for use on the Wii, but Brawl is out and Nintendo isn't going to make an "Improved online version" unless they recall every copy sold and restructure their Brawl servers to use the GGPO code, not to mention they would have to pay Ponder (the GGPO coder) to use it.

TL;DR: Forward ports/set DMZ, get a better connection, make your friends get better connections.

Unexplanetory

Smash Cadet
if the lag isnt going to be fixed then I want a refund on my wii and brawl copy. the Wii is a piece of **** and only got my purchase for Brawl online.

edit: before i get flamed for connection 8mbs down, 1 mbs up

espiochamaeleo

Smash Cadet
Like I said before, it's entirely based on your connection AND everyone else who is in the game's connections. If theirs are slow, you will experience lag. There is nothing wrong with Brawl or the Wii, blame the US's slow adoption of better networking technology if you need something to be angry with.

PKFire199

Smash Rookie
That's not true. Nintendo used what's called network smoothing in Brawl, and (of course) they don't allow you to turn smoothing on or off. This helps reduce lag spikes, but in exchange, there's a guaranteed delay that can't be reduced no matter how fast your connection is or how close to your opponent you are. The Wii is a piece of crap, and Brawl has one of the worse online implementations I've ever seen. Even if this service does work as intended, there's no way in hell Nintendo is actually going to change Brawl to utilize it. Just like there's no way in hell that they'll patch the game to fix the horribly broken characters.

Top Bottom