• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There Aren't Many Dedede Guides, So Why Don't We Write One Together?

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Right now, there are only 5 guides to clobbaing with the king on Smashboards. Most of them are good, but don't necessarily all cover all of his aspects, and more variety would be nice.

So, we're working together to make an all-encompassing guide to all things Dedede! If you wish to contribute, feel free, just ask and we'll see where we can use you.

Current participants (Tentative)
Muskrat Catcher-Editor, FFA/Casual
SalsaSavant-Fundamentals and OP upkeep (assigned roles, etc)
DrizzyDrew-Art and animation as needed
CaptainVul-ATs and Combos
Atomicblast360- Intro
JimmyTheCaterpillar-Stages

Some other roles to be assigned...
Matchups
Mindsets
Frame Data (Though maybe we can get permission to borrow that one)
Customs
Seconds that compliment D3/When D3 is a good second
Teams
Video Compilation (Examples of good matches, maybe some video to demonstrate something, etc)

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I am in. The penguin needs more exposure. I create animations and I am working on a guide for kirby. It has a story behind it as I am animating it. Id love to do one with the penguin.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Seems we have enough people interested, assuming that one or two of the people who "liked" it are interested. I'm sure we can pick up a few more once the ball gets rolling, anyway.

So, here's some sample roles/sections:

Editor
Intro/Why Dedede?
Fundamentals
Combos
Advanced Techniques
Matchups
Mindsets
Frame Data (Though maybe we can get permission to borrow that one)
Stage selection
Customs
Seconds that compliment D3/When D3 is a good second
Teams
FFA/Casual guide
Art/Graphics
Video Compilation (Examples of good matches, maybe some video to demonstrate something, etc)

And I'm sure some of you can think of more...or why some of this is unnecessary.
I've got to get ready for work, but if anyone is interested in a role, go ahead and talk about it. Maybe give a general summary of what you are going to write. That way, we can start discussion.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
My top 3 would probably be editor, secondaries, and/or FFA/Casual guide. I am flexible though, and can do others, but I feel that there are other people that are better at the other categories.

ZeThundaRippa

Smash Cadet
Maine, you know, the place mistaken for Canada.
NNID
zethundarippa
3DS FC
5129-0353-6718
Would the one explaining customs explain their uses in teams, or would the guy explaining teams do that? Either way I've been trying to work on some team combos with a friend and wouldn't mind doing that. (general and character specific/explain combos with every member of the cast ie. Mario FLUDD to boost Jet Hammer, no one sees it coming). I don't mind doing Mindsets either if someone else is picked for teams.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
I might critique it, but I learned just about everything I know before I even started using the Boards. E.g. I love the Jet Hammer.

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
I guess I could help with combos and advanced techniques. I love to lab that stuff

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
Here is the basic guide for King Dedede
Step 1: push down on your control stick (this will cause your opponent to forfeit, due to them not being as perfect as King Dedede and his majestic crouch.)

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Ok, I will start on writing the FFA/casual guide now.
Also, @ JimmyTheCaterpillar JimmyTheCaterpillar can you also talk about 3DS stages in your section? Those rarely get talked about anymore so I don't really know where to go with DDD.
And another thing: who should post the actual guide? Should I do it since I want to be the editor? Do you want to do it, @ SalsaSavant SalsaSavant , or is there a way to let everyone work on the guide while it is on the site? Or maybe just write it here then transfer it over to the guides section when it is finished?

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Also, @ JimmyTheCaterpillar JimmyTheCaterpillar can you also talk about 3DS stages in your section? Those rarely get talked about anymore so I don't really know where to go with DDD.
And another thing: who should post the actual guide? Should I do it since I want to be the editor? Do you want to do it, @ SalsaSavant SalsaSavant , or is there a way to let everyone work on the guide while it is on the site? Or maybe just write it here then transfer it over to the guides section when it is finished?
Sure, I can do that too.

Also do you guys want me to cover team use as well?

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Sorry, haven't been able to get on for a while, work and stuff.

Anyway, I think this is okay for initial drafts.

DrizzyDrew-Art and animation as needed (None right now, I believe)
Atomicblast360- Intro
Muskrat-FFA/Casual and Editor
Jimmy-Stages
Me (Salsa)-Fundamentals and OP upkeep (assigned roles, etc)

I think I got everyone who wanted in. If this sounds good to people, we're good to go. Of course, this is just initial. I'd like for everyone to contribute in some way when revising. Give critique, add sections, etc.

Let's put everything up and edit on this thread, and then post it all at once. I personally don't care who posts as long as everyone gets credit.

I'll be in and out a bit thanks to some shake ups at work, but I don't necessarily need to be leader just because I made the thread. If anyone wants to take charge, don't wait for my permission!

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Sorry, haven't been able to get on for a while, work and stuff.

Anyway, I think this is okay for initial drafts.

DrizzyDrew-Art and animation as needed (None right now, I believe)
Atomicblast360- Intro
Muskrat-FFA/Casual and Editor
Jimmy-Stages
Me (Salsa)-Fundamentals and OP upkeep (assigned roles, etc)

I think I got everyone who wanted in. If this sounds good to people, we're good to go. Of course, this is just initial. I'd like for everyone to contribute in some way when revising. Give critique, add sections, etc.

Let's put everything up and edit on this thread, and then post it all at once. I personally don't care who posts as long as everyone gets credit.

I'll be in and out a bit thanks to some shake ups at work, but I don't necessarily need to be leader just because I made the thread. If anyone wants to take charge, don't wait for my permission!
I'd still like to cover DDDDubs if that's OK with you guys.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Ok, I have finished the FFA/Casual guide. I may still change it or add to it, and I am very open to criticism and suggestions. Also, I did make it a bit long, maybe I should cut some parts? Anyways, here it is:

Are you tired of hearing that Dedede is low tier? Well, in a casual free-for-all, Dedede is high tier, probably top tier! (in the nonexistant casual tier list). So, if Dedede is not already your casual main, or you want to know how to fully take advantage of Dedede's strengths in a FFA, this is the guide for you!

Dedede's FFA strengths/weaknesses
In a 4-8 player free-for-all, Dedede is very strong because he can finally take advantage of his pure strength and weight, much more than he can in 1v1. In addition, having such a huge disjointed weapon such as DDD's hammer is a huge benefit in FFA since you can safely hit multiple foes at the same time! All of DDD's specials get much better in a FFA, as detailed later, and his down-B and F-smash are enough reason to play him alone! Especially in time matches, DDD can steal KOs with his huge power and hitboxes, and will often end up with a significant amount of kills by the end of the match. In terms of stages with lots of janky things, such as disappearing platforms and stage hazards, DDD can dodge these things with ease due to his 4 jumps and amazing recovery. Ships approaching on the F-Zero stage? You can float above all of them!
However, with great power comes great responsibility. Dedede's biggest weakness in FFA is his immense size, so if you just run into a pile of fighters, you won't be able to stop getting hit until you are already flying off stage! Also, people will know that you have a huge advantage in FFA since you are DDD, so they will often single you out, and when DDD is facing a 2v1 or worse, he is almost helpless because you cannot protect your entire body at once! It is wise to stay out of chaotic frays, and stick on the sides of the battle and stick your hammer in there for safe, disjointed hits.

Extra useful specials:
All of the King's specials are even better in a FFA than they are in a 1v1.
Gordos get extra value in a FFA, because they can hit one player, then bounce off them onto another, and another, racking up a large amount of total damage!
Inhale is better in FFA as well, because you can scoop someone up, aim, and spit them into a large group of enemies with surprising knockback and great damage on everyone involved! Also, Dededecides are much easier and much more fun in FFAs, since at least one character involved usually has a weak recovery, and can be gimped very easily by spitting them under the stage, or far away from it. There is no shame in farming KOs off of that Little Mac.
The Super Dedede Jump is a great way to approach a group of fighters while dealing a lot of damage and is safe as long as they were not ready for it, which they usually are not as long as you don't spam it!
And then, we have the infamous Jet Hammer. This move is great for racking up kills with its insane knockback! Just charge it, walk up to an unsuspecting victim, and let it rip for easy points! The best time to use jet hammer is when you see someone get a grab. This way, you know that they will remain stationary for some time, and if you can hit them with jet hammer, you could grab two KOs in one!

Items:
When playing with items, Dedede actually has a disadvantage because he is such an easy target for things like bombs, beetles, and bats (oh my!). Here are some important items and how to play around them:

Capsules: People will throw these at you, so be ready to shield/airdodge, and possibly take the item inside if it doesn't explode.

Home run bat: If someone has a bat, do not challenge them by attacking, because you may just hit them when they have super armor, and then all hope is lost. Instead, try to inhale them. Also, this is a powerful item when thrown so be ready to dodge it!

Hammers: GRAB THIS ITEM AT ALL COSTS! HAVE YOU NOT SEEN DEDEDE WITH TWO HAMMERS? However, if you somehow do not get to the hammer first, curse the person that does and just try to fly away from them. If they try to follow you off the edge of a stage, they will likely die. You can also try to stick your hammer in and hit them, but its risky.

Ray gun: This item is really annoying! On a walk off, since Dedede is a fast faller and large, sometimes you cannot escape this item until you are carried all the way off stage, and you can lose stocks really early! Be ready to shield or dodge this item if someone has it, and try to waste their ammo.

Gust bellows: This is another annoying item, however Dedede can handle it pretty well. Just make sure that if you get pushed off stage, that you either recover high or low, and avoid the middle, or else you may find yourself out of jumps! But due to the nature of DDD's up-B, you can usually deal with this item. Also, remember that you can simply shield this item and you will not be pushed back! In fact, you can take advantage of this item by hitting people trying to recover, and stealing the KO, and still be able to make it back to the stage!

Bomb-ombs, sticky bombs, motion sensor bombs, etc: These are really powerful, so just play very carefully around them. Be ready to shield or airdodge, since you are the easiest target to throw it at.

Pitfall seeds/deku nuts: These are especially beneficial to DDD, because they can immobilize an opponent just long enough for an F-smash or Jet Hammer, so prioritize these items!

Smoke bombs: It is actually beneficial for DDD to be hit by a smoke bomb. You can walk up to people, charge an F-smash, and nobody will have any idea what you are doing, so they may approach, and eat a fully charged F-smash to the face! Very satisfying and very fun!

Beetles: Again, you are the easiest target for these annoying items, but remember that like gordos, these can be returned to their sender. The easiest way to do this is with gordos, Nair, D-tilt, or F-tilt, and you can steal a kill for yourself!

Boss Galaga: This item is scary if your opponent can throw you into it, so it is wise to try to destroy it before it comes down for a grab. Use your many jumps to try to land an U-air on it, which should destroy it. Even if you miss, you can make sure that the tractor beam appears high up, and make it difficult for your opponent to throw you into it.

Special flags: These are another really annoying item. It is very difficult for DDD to find the space to use these, due to his slow speed and large size, you can't run or hide while using it, so it is wise to just throw it off stage and not worry about it. Don't be greedy, and don't try to use it unless you have a very opportune situation.

The Smash ball: This goes without saying, but you really want this! Not only does your final smash a cover a relatively large area in front of you compared to most trapping final smashes, you really don't want to be on the receiving end of a final smash, since it is especially hard to dodge trapping and stage wide final smashes as DDD. However, most transformation final smashes that are not Wario-man can be dodged with lots of jumps, camping off stage, and Up-B escapes.

Strategy
Timed matches: Take advantage of your kill power, and go for the person with the highest percent. Wait until they are occupied, then hit them with a powerful move, or try to finish them off once they get launched off stage by using DDD's amazing edge guard game, which still applies in FFA. Also, if you see lightning, and a fighter flying at you while you are in the air, QUICK! DO A NAIR! I have stolen many KOs in the past by poking someone with a Nair before they die. Also, use Dededecides! Spitting characters with weak recovery far from the ledge, or under the stage is a great and hilarious way to rack up quick KOs! Even if you SD every once in a while, you will still profit!

Stock matches:
In these matches, you don't need to play nearly as aggressive. Instead, take advantage of DDD's survivability. Throw some gordos into a group of people, stick your hammer in there, and just try to get as much damage on your opponents as possible while keeping yourself safe. Dededecides in this mode are not suggested in the early stages of the match, because if you accidentally SD, it doesn't matter if you got 3 KOs in the process, you are closer to losing! However they are great for closing out a match once there are few fighters left, and you have a spare stock.

General strategy:
Do everything in your power to avoid being in the middle of the ruckus. Stay near the sides of the stage and take advantage of your gordos and hammer to safely put huge damage on your foes. When you see someone get a grab, go for them with a dash attack, jet hammer, or F-smash and pick up some easy KOs. Know that you are vulnerable to many items and be aware of who is holding them. Steal KOs, Dededecide, and the most important tip: You are King Dedede! Do everything in your power to have the most fun and hilarious time possible!

Last edited:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
*sigh* so before I made those video guides, I actually had a huge DDD guide written up - in-depth analysis on every move, frame data, combos, etc.. But then I was like "well shoot who reads those, youtube is where people really learn". And a few months later my hard drive crashed.

tldr, I'm no help. But when people are talking about "why to play D3", basic spacing, combos, etc...as that's what my first few vids cover in depth (and are all entirely in text already), can they be of help in any way?

Honestly - I'm half-waiting for the next patch. We know Nintendo's releasing more characters, and I feel this one has the best chance of a D3 buff. WHATEVER that chance is. Maybe if we all wish on more stars or something.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Are people still working on this? I want to know that this project is still alive before I start the secondaries section
I think it's fallen to the wayside. Personally, I got a new job and have had no time to keep it up. Don't know about the others, but unless we see more interest, this may be dead...

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I got a lot of spare time on my hands, and I still play this character. If ya'll wanna pitch ideas somewhere, just hit me up. We'll figure something out.

Soul Train Soul Train

Bud, you deserve wayyyyyyy more exposure. I still refer/defer to your Youtube stuff for anybody interested in learning about the mechanics of the character, be it for actually maining him or just learning his tech for the MU.

Your work isn't in vain.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

danijam

Smash Rookie
I will do dubs when I get a chance. I have won many doubles tourneys using d3.

Top Bottom