• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on brawl's Final Roster Amount

-KW-

Smash Apprentice
This might not mean anything, but in SSB, we had 12 Characters. Then in Melee, we had 25. 12x2+1=25.

By this logic, if they do that pattern again..

25x2+1=51. That'd mean we're getting 51 Characters in Brawl.

THis may be coincidential, but hey, who knows. More likely than the 35 Character bull****.
No way in hell we'd only get 35 Characters.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hmm... 51 just seems like an odd number, maybe 50, but then again, what characters would make sense, to add to the existing number that wouldnt involve any odd third parties which make more third partys than the apparent limit of 3?

26 - Luigi
27 - Gannondorf
28 - Captain Falcon
29 - Krystal
30 - Ridley
31 - K. rool
32 - Geno
33 - Isaac
34 - Lucario
35 - Jiggs
36 - Ness
I forgot : Marth, G&W, we all know theyre coming back, but I cant give them a number because it'd be over 51, so just imagine them witha number in your heads.

The above are the most likely imo, or unofficially confirmed

Now, for the others that would make sense

37 - AC Villager (Why dont we call him Ace? it has a btter ring to it. Animal Crosser Extraordinaire (See? A C E )

38 - Wolf (Starfox needs a villain)
39 - Cel Link
40 - Bowser Junior
41 - Mewtwo (His chances are slim now, but I'm still rooting for him
42 - Takamaru
43 - Sukapon

And thats it. I cant get up to 51 without adding those that make no sense or seeminlg have no chance anymore - examples :

44 - Sora
45 - Megaman (Cmon, he's pretty much deconfirmed now, saying he's not is denial)
46 - Bomberman
47 - Lip
48 - Pacman :ugh:
49 - Simon
50 - Leon
51 - SSB original? Nah

See? The unwanted third party and a few others extravaganza, bah.

THis just wouldnt work. Maybe the first 43 would, plus Marth and G&W, but after that, no. So 45 is my number.

Rakath

Smash Ace
The range I give is as such: 38-52

The 38 is based on a set growth (25 - 12 = X 25 + X = Y Y = 38), 52 is a Proportional growth (25/12= X 25 x X = Y Y=51.6=52).

However my theory is 40-44... 45 tops...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Eh, no more theories, huh? The game'll be out in four days. Left wait till then. When it's confirmed.
Thank you for this quote. The only thing that I hope is that there won't be a retarted amount of false rumors when the game comes out. To bad that won't happen. :(

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
More likely than the 35 Character bull****.
No way in hell we'd only get 35 Characters.
It's actually not anymore likely than any other random number. You can't figure out a pattern based on only two past examples. And even if you could, Sakurai wouldn't have gone by that logic. He added the characters he wanted to add—period.

And 35 characters is a perfectly reasonable number. In my opinion, people who say things like "ONLY 35 characters?!" are. . . greedy. It's fine to want more characters than that, but to expect it seems kinda bratty to me. I think most people just don't realize how many characters that really is. I mean, look at the Dojo. There are only about 25 characters revealed so far and we've already got 12 newcomers to try out.

It boggles my mind that so many people find 35 to be such a small number when we were all able to coast on 25 characters in Melee for 6 years.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Thank you for this quote. The only thing that I hope is that there won't be a retarted amount of false rumors when the game comes out. To bad that won't happen. :(
lol. Your quoting me made me see a mistake.

Yeah, thats not gonna happen. Everyone from 2chan's gonna be making false rosters to mess with us. I know it already.

The Legend Of Zelda

Smash Cadet
Apologies in advance if this point has already been raised...

I'd go crazy if we got 50 or more characters in Brawl. But, that might honestly be expecting a little much.

As long as we're reducing the roster spots to formula, we could also say... SSB had 12 characters, and an additional 12 were added for Melee to give us 24. Maybe an additional 12 could be added with each sequel, bringing us to 36 in Brawl and 48 in SSB4. Or, since you might assume that the more characters there are, the more difficult balancing becomes, adding the same number on each go-round would become more and more demanding.

So, we had a 100% increase in characters from SSB to Melee; maybe whatever the increase from Melee to Brawl is will give us some idea where a pattern, if any exists, might take us to for SSB4. For instance, if Brawl does have 48-50 characters, it would keep doubling. If it has 36 characters, then the increase dropped from 100% down to 50%. Perhaps our number would get cut in half again with SSB4, and we can hope for only 42 characters.

Basically, even if you do believe that roster sizes are determined by some formula, I don't think we've got enough data yet to determine what that formula would be. Brawl's release should make devising one much easier.

TLOZ

FireCrack

Smash Journeyman
Bah, that's a poor extrapolation.

The best way to gain an "esitmate" using extrapolations would be to compare the starter/hidden character ratios, and even then it's still preety much a stab in the dark...

Rakath

Smash Ace
It's actually not anymore likely than any other random number. You can't figure out a pattern based on only two past examples. And even if you could, Sakurai wouldn't have gone by that logic. He added the characters he wanted to add—period.

And 35 characters is a perfectly reasonable number. In my opinion, people who say things like "ONLY 35 characters?!" are. . . greedy. It's fine to want more characters than that, but to expect it seems kinda bratty to me. I think most people just don't realize how many characters that really is. I mean, look at the Dojo. There are only about 25 characters revealed so far and we've already got 12 newcomers to try out.

It boggles my mind that so many people find 35 to be such a small number when we were all able to coast on 25 characters in Melee for 6 years.
Here's why the 35 is a lackluster based on how the 35 is sold.

64 to Melee: 14 Starting (4 new characters) 25 total (9 hidden new characters).
Compared to the 8/12 split of 64, we hit the ground running with 2 more starting that 64's total. We could coast on 25 in Melee for 6 years because comeparison gives us a 208% cast.
The 35 Roster: 21 Starting (9 new characters) 35 total (5 hidden new characters).
Beyond that, the five new characters include ROB. Someone shown as a lackluster minion in SSE, a character of striking design and behavior as Fox (who screams clone), and Lucario... who is alright.

Most of the 'new' was shown in the flashy site, making the hiddens quite lackluster as a 'bunch of characters we all know'. Now, let's go with a good list 42 (Example - I do realize how it its debunked due to lack of Ness, but for this it'll work... let's say Sukapon = Ness and Ray Mk2 = Isaac for kicks.)

Staring Roster: 21 (9 new characters) 42 total (11 hidden new characters).

Bit more respectable Shock and Awe cast. Bit more surprise in store when unllocking things. The 35 list is like the previews of a movie giving you the surprise ending and the best fight scene...

FireCrack

Smash Journeyman
^Aye, you'd expect newcomers to be a bit more biased into the unlockables...

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
At the least we should expect 40+. That is assuming the 35 "leaked" roster is a fake and that the number of secret characters will be 17 since the starting roster will be 23. Sounds like a lot, although if you think about it, it really isn't it. Off the top of my head the unlockables I expect are: Luigi, Geno, Paper Mario/Bowser Jr, King K. Rool, Captain Falcon, Ness, Claus, Isaac, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Mewtwo, Ridley, Krystal, Falco/Wolf, Marth, WW Link/Midna, Ganondorf, Mr Game & Watch, Takamaru/Sukapon and Megaman. That would be 20, plus Sonic and Snake, 22 for a total of 45 characters. If you ask me that would be the perfect amount, as well as the perfect roster. Might not happen, but I hope Sakurai can do as well as this one.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Well... since I never did bother to answer the OP, I mostly agree with that 42 list I linked to (except replacing Ray Mk2 and Sukapon with Ness and Isaac). But if the castlist reaches 50 then we are certainly getting everyone with 2 votes or more on the Sakurai list should be playable (except for 2 characters for being hard to work and a that Fire Emblem character for not being Mia or Sheeda).

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Sakurai's been focusing a lot on new modes, and SSE. If SSE is to be as good as expected Sakurai has most likely spent a great deal of time during Brawl's development on that. I don't think we'll be getting 52 characters. 35- 40 sounds right.

Top Bottom