• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory of blocking in Brawl

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Yhea keep the bubbles but make them look better (and make it so that if other players land on it after a jump they bounce).

keko_keko

Smash Cadet
Thought i'd chuck this in the fire.

In the first trailer when meta-knight strikes pit, pit blocks it using his sword then strikes back. Perhaps block, perhaps counter or maybe just trailer animation?

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Definately trailer animation. We all know hat's nothing close to gameplay.

The bubble will return and that's all I have to say.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Yhea thats defiantly trailer animation just a fight scene.
And i want the bubbles to return but this time make them much better and detailed.

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they're ditching bubbles for the more traditional high/low block? Might work into the whole crawling action...

Personally I'd love to never see those bubbles again. They look awful. However, I can't argue that they function well... in fact, they're a great idea, really... but they're so ugly!

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Yhea and that why im saying make them look better add more detail maybe (i mean at least different colors) and they could even have each character have their own personal sheild as well (Like mew two could have a psychic barrier and and stuff)

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Someone thought that was a shield as well on The Hylia but that doesnt look like a shield and it hit Mario plus it looks all bumpy and stuff.

Sariku

Smash Master
Keep the Bubble, thats what I say. Theres no reason to change it. The bubble is the most simple way to do it, I mean. How would Mario gaurd his whole body 360 degrees? In a fireshield? No, cause fire can still hurt him.

Baka^ni

Smash Cadet
In the November 2006 video there is a glimpse of a shield. After Meta knight's intro when kirby does his up B. Metaknight rolls behind him, but if you look at metaknight before he rolls you see the same barrier that is around mario in the picture on the update.

Note: Unless you slow down the speed or pause it at the right time you wont see it.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Yhea they seem to be putting electricity whenever a character gets hit this time round.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
I only read some of the first page.. but did you know that inside the bubble shields, the characters actually do their character-specific guarding pose?

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Yhea they do that but i always thought that was more of them just holding the bubble lol

experiment111

Smash Journeyman
I would prefer a more transparent shield. The one in the pic looks a bit out of place like the centre of it is just in front of mario, thats if it IS actually a shield.
The shields were a gd way of blockin in melee so y fix wht aint broke?

Bobby Emerald

Smash Apprentice
Aherm... I'm pretty sure they're just both doing their own ground-dodge moves, and it ended up looking like a neat little pose. I wouldn't get too excited. XD

Seconded. I mean, look at Link! He is definitely ground-dodging what could be MetaKnight's Dair. I think Snake is also ground-dodging Zamus's possible foward tilt.

Repryx

Smash Champion
No Bubble sheild thingys? Then they would probably have Something like Focus Blocking where you Block at the point of force....I dunno.....I think the sheilds will come back

worldjem7

Smash Ace
The Truth?

I've been reading this thread and it has given me some thought, so I checked the videos again and I found something in the Worldwide Japan November trailer. I thought that it might be hard to see so I made an edited version to show where exactly the "bubble" is.

Original Pit Bubble
Edited Pit Bubble
Original Snake Bubble
Edited Snake Bubble

In both of these instances, the character is about to roll.
(Pit @ 1:08 min. frame 17/30)
(Snake @ 1:35 min. frame 02/30)

If you don't believe me, or you still think otherwise, you can check out the videos for yourself, and if you try hard enough you'll be able to see the transition from Standing to Bubble to Roll. Best way to get the EXACT frame would be to use something like Sony Vegas, Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media Player because they let you slow down the video and even lets you stop it on each individual frame.

So if I am correct, then this means that there WILL be a sort of bubble but it won't be as "distracting" or "ugly" as its predecessors.

I look forward to your comments.

P.S. The frame I saw the bubble on may differ from the exact frame that you see so you might want to look around a couple +/- frames, but I assure you that it WILL be there.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I've been reading this thread and it has given me some thought, so I checked the videos again and I found something in the Worldwide Japan November trailer. I thought that it might be hard to see so I made an edited version to show where exactly the "bubble" is.

Original Pit Bubble
Edited Pit Bubble
Original Snake Bubble
Edited Snake Bubble

If you don't believe me, or you still think otherwise, you can check out the videos for yourself, and if you try hard enough you'll be able to see the transition from Standing to Bubble to Roll. Best way to get the EXACT frame would be to use something like Sony Vegas, Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media Player because they let you slow down the video and even lets you stop it on each individual frame.

So if I am correct, then this means that there WILL be a sort of bubble but it won't be as "distracting" or "ugly" as its predecessors.

P.S. The frame I saw the bubble on may differ from the exact frame that you see so you might want to look around a couple +/- frames, but I assure you that it WILL be there.
Nice find, worldjem. It looks like they're not giving up on the shield defense system since it worked well for the previous games.

red stone

Smash Ace
worldjem, i applaud you for your catch of observation. however, that doesn't look like a bubble and is dome shaped. sheild being dome shaped would not feel like melee at all. i think that's more of a power essence, you know like when someone is charging up, you can see their aura, i think that's more of what the white dome is. i could be wrong though. i'll let other people decide what it is

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
It looks like impact animation from snake landing on the ground.
Though, that doesnt explain Pit's.
Anything is possible.

Also,

@Original Poster: Thats more than clearly a spot-dodge, imo.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
It looks like impact animation from snake landing on the ground.
Though, that doesnt explain Pit's.
Anything is possible.

Also,

@Original Poster: Thats more than clearly a spot-dodge, imo.
I took these pictures myself DIRECTLY from the video, I even gave you the times at which they are about to roll. Watch the video again, Snake isn't falling or dodging. He just hit Pit in the air.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
I took these pictures myself DIRECTLY from the video, I even gave you the times at which they are about to roll. Watch the video again, Snake isn't falling or dodging. He just hit Pit in the air.
i for one believe you are right

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps when you shield in brawl, it takes a second for the visible bubble to fade in all the way, so when you immediately dodge, you only have time to see the faint outlines indicated above. It would make the shields a little less visually abrasive without changing the game mechanics (aside from it being difficult to recognize a shield for the first fraction of a second).

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Perhaps when you shield in brawl, it takes a second for the visible bubble to fade in all the way, so when you immediately dodge, you only have time to see the faint outlines indicated above. It would make the shields a little less visually abrasive without changing the game mechanics (aside from it being difficult to recognize a shield for the first fraction of a second).
Makes sense to me.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I for one really can't tell, it does seem a bit too large to be a bubble shield... But since in Melee the shield gets smaller.. Maybe it starts real faint.. then starts getting more solid as it closes in and then the shield forms.

So I think you've got something there, I looked at it myself though it was really really quick.

Mike2000

Smash Cadet

Original Pit Bubble
Edited Pit Bubble
Original Snake Bubble
Edited Snake Bubble

Pit looks like he might roll from that picture. Snake though looks like he just landed after jumping. I'm not saying this is entirely true but this is what I saw.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
I prefer the bubble since you can move it around a little and it's not completely invincible. Personal blocks sound like a headache, "How would Kirby block? How would Pikachu block?" etc etc.
Well, Kirby would be easy. Just go through Kirby Superstar and pick a block.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
It's possible they're using clear shields just for the demo pictures, but the idea of a near-invisible shield may be logical enough for mainstream gameplay. The bubble shields work great, no reason to change them in function. Changing them to transparent could serve a few minor purposes.
A) Looks better in screenshots, camera modes, etc
B) Shows off the character models more than just a random colored bubble coming from nowhere. Why make the detailed, rendered Link only to have him hiding behind some featureless red ball?
C) You can't see them from a mile away. Imagine only being able to tell some one is shielding by knowing what to look for. The newbies whack away at this posing character wondering why they can't hit him, while the vet comes along, grabs him and throws him up for a combo. Deflecting projectiles with a timed shield goes from a simple bounce game to something akin to the end of the first Matrix with the bullet stopping.
D) Programming wise, giving everyone a unique shield would be a straight week of pain and coding with mixed results. Giving everyone the clear shield is just as canon-friendly as the personal shields, but it takes less time. Which is easier, making everyone a personally inscribed cupcake with custom frosting and flavors, or giving everyone a universal cupcake that won't offend them or clash with their lifestyle?
Man I suck at metaphors.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
hmm, maybe you should look again... at EVERYTHING

@ Luigi Smash Master & anyone else who forgot to read what I said and only looked at the pictures

None of the characters are "spot-dodging" or "landing" or "doing a kick" etc. Watch the second Brawl video AGAIN, and actually pay attention to what is happening in the video instead of pissing yourselves happy at the sight of Snake, Pit, Meta Knight, Wario, and visually-enhanced returning characters.

I thought I had made myself clear the first time, but obviously some people either:

A) Don't like to read
B) Pick exactly what they WANT to read so they can post "blah blah blah"
or
C) They have the attention-span of your garden-variety hamster and only remembered the pretty pictures (and/or words) that they saw on their trip through this thread.

None of which show much, if any, intelligence the poster may or may not have.

This is a FORUM... You WILL have to READ what is WRITTEN HERE.

If you're going to post a reply-- oh I'm sorry, what I meant to say is: If you're going to post AN INTELLIGENT reply, make sure you actually READ EXACTLY what the person said so that you don't sound like a total dumb*ss!!

Also, it wouldn't kill you to do some research either.

Top Bottom