• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Them's Fightin' Herds (Fighting is Magic)

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer

Them's Fightin' Herds is an upcoming fighting game where cute, magic, hoofed animals beat each other up. It's the spiritual successor to the long-ago C&D'd Fighting is Magic, developed by the Mane6 devteam with character's created by MLP's Lauren Faust herself. Due to the generosity of backers in the Skullgirls Indiegogo campaign, Mane6 were given free use of the same engine used in Skullgirls to develop Them's Fightin' Herds. So if Skullgirls at all tickles your fancy, give this one a shot. Every character and their moveset is inspired by those in the game's predecessor, overhauled to fit into this new, unique universe.

Let's talk about development, get hyped, gawk at these cuties, and discuss hoof-wrastlin' techniques.

Mane6's Website:
http://www.mane6.com/
Indiegogo Campaign:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/them-s-fightin-herds/x/12225911
Steam Greenlight:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=523129840
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqjFdfIuhTkaSTgiRUiyig

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ORIGINAL POST (for the sake of the thread continuity):

The past couple months have been pretty busy for the Fighting is Magic devteam, what with getting cease and desisted by Hasbro and all. Mane 6 has gained a lot of support after what seemed like the end, and the game's risen up and is moving on to something new.

For those that don't know, Mane6 was originally doing a fan-made, non-profit, fighting game using pony characters from MLP: FiM that gained extreme popularity among the fanbase. They were almost done with the main cast after a couple years working on it before Hasbro hit them with a C&D and they were forced to stop. Now they're taking their ideas and creating an entirely new game with new characters, but still using the planned 4-legged style combat they had. They've gotten a lot of support for their project, due to putting in a lot more effort than you'd expect of a fan game with very high quality.

Those of us who have followed Mane6 since the start and happen to have premium have been talking about it's developments in the My Little Pony thread in the Disco Room, since that's still the only place to talk about anything pony related. This game is no longer entirely about ponies though, so I'm making this thread in a place where everyone can talk about it.

When the game gets a new title, I'll update the thread title accordingly.

IN THE MEANTIME

HOT TOPICS:
- Hasbro C&D'd Fighting is Magic. Rate your level of mad.
- Lauren Faust joins the team as the game's new character designer. Mite b cool.
- Skullgirls Kickstarter campaign reached it's goal for giving Mane6 their game's engine for free. Amazing to see so much support and we'll see what the new engine has in store for them.

Mane6's Website Here:
http://www.mane6.com/

Here's some of silhouettes of some of Lauren's character concepts. Predicting now that the alpaca will be OP.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​

Also feel free to talk about the previous incarnation of the game I suppose, though there's not a lot to be said on it since it's pretty old now. The original EVO alpha build is plenty fun, even if it's pretty broken, considering it's from pretty early in development. Download links come and go, so do some searching if you want it. Otherwise, poke me about it. You'll also need something like xpadder to really enjoy it with a stick/pad/whatever because Fighter Maker 2000 (which Mane6 used for the original engine) was terrible at controller support.

These have a good rundown on everything for it:
http://fightingismagic.wikidot.com/
http://i.imgur.com/sbodKuX.jpg

Last edited:

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
My level of madness was over 9000 but hey, I wasn't that surprised. Warner did the same with Terrordrome.

Also the third character looks pretty cool. With the Skullgirls engine, s/he's gonna look great.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
I was thinking about how mad I should be this morning. If fan-***** ****** didn't submit it to EVO, it wouldn't have caused such a ruckus.

Only Faust gives it 1% interest. Otherwise I have -250% care about this ****.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
No longer mlp, but still worth the wait for me.

And I honestly expected hasbro to stop them because who the **** wouldn't when it comes to copyright. Sad, but w/e.

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
It's cause it's wasn't really widely publicized. Only those in the brony community such as EqD and DHN gave links to the Mane6 site and their updates.

It was the uproar that Fighting is Magic that was winning the EVO charity by a landslide merited a couple of (game) news articles that probably finally caught Hasbro's attention.

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
Insert that end of credits notifation that any likeliness or association to anything living or not is purely unintentional -- thingy.

Especially all the characters should be four-legged.

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
Two years later. Sounds like either more legal hoops to get around or that Lauren has been busy the whole time to provide assistance to Mane6.
But after the Fighting is Magic Fan Tribute version, the feels just isn't as there.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm interested in it as a game on it's own. The pony artstyle is just a bonus. I'm sure references won't be in short supply either.

Besides, mods.

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
I honestly don't really want to pay for it.
Otherwise I'd say only one my of group just needs it and that's all my city needs.
:phone:

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
My gosh, I've been dying to make a thread about this for the last few days and then I see this. Thank you.

Seriously though, this game looks like a very solid fighter and I would love to get my hands on it ASAP.

Oh, for anyone wondering, their FAQ says that their open to porting the game to other OS/Consoles once their initial goal is reached.

Last edited:

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I plan on becoming the best Arizona player. She is my waifu. MM me.
Also there was some old match making system for Fighting is Magic... Is that still active? Checked a few days ago and there was no one there.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Never was into MLP, but it's awesome on what the project's become and that it isn't gone. The sprites and animations look pretty cool, but I think one of the neatest things to me was the dynamic music changes in matches

There aren't too many fighting games that do this now, so it's neat seeing it brought back but the idea taken even further.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
The game has been officially Greenlit on Steam and has passed the 200k mark. Almost halfway there overall as of this post!

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Honestly somewhat nervous. Crowdfunded games get their biggest burst of support at the start and it tapers off. I hope it can pull off the other half over the next couple weeks.

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
And delays. And unforeseen programming oversight.
But hey, Steam bound, sale camping.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
I'm so glad I found this thread! I've followed Mane6 almost from the beginning of their last project. I really want this game to happen, but I'm getting nervous with their crowdfund now. Only 10 more days and they're at 63%... I can probably throw enough money to get the beta.

Also, alpaca hype. Paprika best ungulate.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
Six days left and it's at 82%. There's been a boost in donations for the last few days. Here's to hoping it makes its goal.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
109% ...I was worried for a moment but dang didn't think they'd get so much in such a short time o.o;

Top Bottom