• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Zero Suit/Samus in Shorts Social

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Eheheh you're running into the same issues as I did when I tried to test the BnB percentages.
I hope you're more stubborn than I was.
And yes, I bought a turbo controller to get stuff done with my feet.
I'm 10 years onto college on a mission to get a PhD. Stubborn is a character feature of mine at this point, heh. Do you have any turbo controller recommendations?

I've also considered inventing a device that's spliced into a gamecube controller cord that can take inputs, record them, and repeat them when prompted by the press of a foot pedal. For instance... you go into training and want to practice the ZSS boost kick option select vs a Sheik fair barrage. Set up training mode and start the input recording, then input sheik to roll to the nearest edge on FD (wherever training mode starts her), then short hop and fair you a bunch. Once the input is in, have training mode reset, press the foot pedal, and sheik does what was programmed. You are now free to practice your response each time you reset training mode.

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
I'm 10 years onto college on a mission to get a PhD. Stubborn is a character feature of mine at this point, heh. Do you have any turbo controller recommendations?

I've also considered inventing a device that's spliced into a gamecube controller cord that can take inputs, record them, and repeat them when prompted by the press of a foot pedal. For instance... you go into training and want to practice the ZSS boost kick option select vs a Sheik fair barrage. Set up training mode and start the input recording, then input sheik to roll to the nearest edge on FD (wherever training mode starts her), then short hop and fair you a bunch. Once the input is in, have training mode reset, press the foot pedal, and sheik does what was programmed. You are now free to practice your response each time you reset training mode.
That sounds very interesting, maybe you could do something with the WaveBird adapter and just emit a signal with your inputs? I don't know if that's possible, just tossing out ideas.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever

I've got one of those gamecube shaped pro controllers that go into a wii mote. It's allright I guess but nothing to write home about.
Also the thing you mentioned about recording inputs, that **** should be standard to training mode. I remember games like Soul Calibur on GC having it.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
I've got one of those gamecube shaped pro controllers that go into a wii mote. It's allright I guess but nothing to write home about.
Also the thing you mentioned about recording inputs, that **** should be standard to training mode. I remember games like Soul Calibur on GC having it.
Should be standard.... But uhh. Nintendo tries. They try.

Rad, I'll look into that and whatever other options I can get my hands on. I think it'd be a real nice benefit to have something like a percent viability compendium of these combos on one's phone that can be checked (or memorized and recalled) when characters are picked. Granted, it also might be just useful to play normal (since grab opportunities may not be plentiful) and note the percent when you grab someone. If you have the numbers in mind, you'll have a good idea of what to do next.

It also would be fun to take a controller, rubber band the control stick away from ZSS and see what options exist when someone DI's the throw.

Effectively, I want to do ALL the research. I just wish I had more time, ha ha.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Should be standard.... But uhh. Nintendo tries. They try.

Rad, I'll look into that and whatever other options I can get my hands on. I think it'd be a real nice benefit to have something like a percent viability compendium of these combos on one's phone that can be checked (or memorized and recalled) when characters are picked. Granted, it also might be just useful to play normal (since grab opportunities may not be plentiful) and note the percent when you grab someone. If you have the numbers in mind, you'll have a good idea of what to do next.

It also would be fun to take a controller, rubber band the control stick away from ZSS and see what options exist when someone DI's the throw.

Effectively, I want to do ALL the research. I just wish I had more time, ha ha.
Yeah same here. Stupid studying and work getting in the way all the time.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Speaking of the Simon Belmont...

Zair comes out in 9 frames and lasts until frame 19.
Side B comes out in 22 frames and lasts until frame 32.

Take the difference in end hitbox times and you get 13 frames. Why is that cool? That's the rough invulnerability time of an air dodge. So if you believe someone's trying to react to punishes with air dodges, approach in the air and start up side B. If they twitch and air dodge, they'll likely get hit.

Not sure if this is entirely a viable mindgame, but with improved damage and knockback over Zair, it may be worth looking into for as a mix up.

=====

Side note reminder - our down B is intangible from frame 3 - 12. I'm sort of curious if we have counter options with it. For instance, Yoshi's down B has 45 end frames if I'm counting right, and it passes through you very quickly. The kick on flip kick comes out on frame 19, though we'd probably be more like frame 29 since we'd wait until we kick at ground-height. Either way... I'm wondering two things: what's the minimum frame count for kicking at approximate ground height, and what moves have enough end lag to warrant trying to effectively do a flip kick counter.

Cause if that works... we could counter things like Marth's fsmash, we may be able to jump OoS and flip kick between hits of Link's fsmash (shield stun pending, I haven't run the numbers), Little Mac's fsmash OR KO Punch, our own grab (lol)...

The list goes on. More research required, I guess. Counter Kicking would be a radical addition to our flip kick arsenal :-D.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Using side-b over zair actually makes a lot of sense in a lot more scenarios than I would've anticipated.
I think the average well-versed ZSS opponent doesn't get shut down by zair as much anymore... that awkward whiff THAT SHOULD'VE TOTALLY HIT WTF and you eat an up smash/dash grab.

Side-b definitely... won't have that issue, albeit it suffering different ones.

From what I've seen in practice with side-b is... unless the opponent is within your side-b's range and forward rolls behind you from it... you're pretty well off.
I think a character even at Mario's mobility specs doesn't have a punish for well spaced side-b reliably.

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
ZSS Counter Kick: Proof of Concept

This definitely works! I even had a few accidental flutter kicks occur during testing that ZSS just... Passed through.

This definitely warrants more testing. So does an interesting combo I thought up...

At zero: grab, down throw, back air, footstool, land, down smash, grab, down throw, up air, up air, boost kick.

Here are the million dollar questions: does the footstool force the for to the ground? And does that force a stand if you don't jab luck once? If the answer is yes to both, this has zero to death capability.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Here are the million dollar questions: does the footstool force the for to the ground? And does that force a stand if you don't jab luck once? If the answer is yes to both, this has zero to death capability.
Footstools will force the foe to fall for a brief moment where they cannot jump/attack/dodge/tech. It does not force normal getup, but maybe we can land fast enough with something to jab reset. I know Paralyzer will jab reset and maybe the first hit of Fair?

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Footstools will force the foe to fall for a brief moment where they cannot jump/attack/dodge/tech. It does not force normal getup, but maybe we can land fast enough with something to jab reset. I know Paralyzer will jab reset and maybe the first hit of Fair?
Huh. I did not know that we had any jab lock moves. Cool. I'll look into it sometime after work tomorrow. Uh. Today.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
afaik anything that causes a pratfall off a platform also Jab locks. Therefore.. it should be possible to use paralyzer to get them to pratfall and then use Paralyzer again to Jab lock them which can be followed up with a down smash. Quite stunning, wouldn't you say?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Ive mentioned it before but dair is secret OP. if you get hit by pikachu fair and he fairs in such a way that he doesnt get the last hit, DIing down and downairing gets you the hitbox immediately which is a punish. yesterday i played against sheik and did the same thing getting fair stringed, DI'd towards the ground/towards and dair'd, the hitbox is huge and i think it comes out the same frame u hit the ground, so it could be possible that its actually a 1frame combo breaker if youre super close to the ground??? i might be wrong on the frame data but i have faith that this is broken

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Ive mentioned it before but dair is secret OP. if you get hit by pikachu fair and he fairs in such a way that he doesnt get the last hit, DIing down and downairing gets you the hitbox immediately which is a punish. yesterday i played against sheik and did the same thing getting fair stringed, DI'd towards the ground/towards and dair'd, the hitbox is huge and i think it comes out the same frame u hit the ground, so it could be possible that its actually a 1frame combo breaker if youre super close to the ground??? i might be wrong on the frame data but i have faith that this is broken
Huh. That's interesting! Down air landing does trigger in 1 frame and it is transcendent (does not interact with other hitboxes).

However, I wonder if it's possible to get the landing frame alone. If you need to go through the wind up for the kick, then land, then it takes 14 + 1 frame to get this done, which would make it a poor counter move since every other aerial move comes out faster. This warrants testing, as do many other things. If she indeed has a 1 frame combo break, that would be insane.

Last edited:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
worth noting is dairs hitbox. even if its 15 frames, which is relatively slow, its humongous and gives u low profile too. probs way less useful but still situationally cool

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
I believe the hitbox comes out if you suffer dair landing lag and the landing lag window is 4-49.
Am I reading this right to say that the grounded hitbox can come out on frame 4?

Our air dodge provides invulnerability on frame 2, and also causes a large amount of landing lag... but without a hitbox. So, 2 frame difference plus a hitbox. Could still be interesting. It certainly can't HURT to mash dair in a Sheik fair string (unless you are off stage).

Last edited:

BottlesChan

Smash Rookie
Which skin do you guys use? I'm not sure which I like the most. Default, black, blue short shorts, or orange short shorts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

So, like, a friend be, liek, "zss should be at least top 5". I mean, her juggling game is out of whack, you can do pretty good stuff off of grabs (the aformentioned out of whack airgame). But, like, that's sort of it. Not to take a handwave against it, I just really think her ground game holds her back that much. Am I doing something wrong, or is this an actual, common problem? I suffer a ton, against short characters. Jab's quick, but it lacks range. F-Tilt's in a similiar department, but I don't think it fulfills it's role as a spacing tool that well. There's also the slight fact that she's not the best at breaking out of a combo (happens to me against Sheik, probably not the best example).

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Which skin do you guys use? I'm not sure which I like the most. Default, black, blue short shorts, or orange short shorts.
Blue Shorts, Red Alt and Black Alt.

I wish there was a Justin Bailey skin or one based off her suit at the end of Super Metroid for her and it would be perfect

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
The footstool combo is a bust. The victim, after the down throw to back air, is high enough to either jump out, or has more than enough time to avoid a falling paralyzer.

Sad day.

Oh, but for the foe with poor awareness, this is nearly true: down throw, back air, drift and neutral air land, turn around down smash, grab, up air, up air, boost kick.

It only works from zero, and you have to watch their di because the neutral air and down smash bits are avoidable. But if it's a fast faller on t&c and they panic a bit? That's a stock.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
How many times in your life have you paralyzer shot someone into a down smash in smash 4 (that because they landed can double up) and felt like a gazillion dollars?

ZSS is a top-tierish disposition character.
She has a lot of options, A LOTTTTT
She is very very well compensated for her WEAKNESSES. Our mid range, out of shield and damage output/kill power are bonkers in comparison to a hyper majority of the cast.
Her weaknesses can be played around with player skill, they're not fatal.

She is high risk high reward for a lot of things, we should be thankful we're allowed to play a character like this (where we can play around our constraints while still achieving bat **** crazy results).
Is she 2nd in the game? Maybe.
Right now? Probably.

ZSS only seems to have minor flaws against Sheik and Pikachu. While having hard match ups elsewhere as well (Ness) but everything is very very doable.
Other characters have it worse than us. Are we getting culled by Luigi? No. Are we getting culled by Rosalina? No.

There are very very very few characters in this cast who do well against both of them, let alone BEATING BOTH OF THEM.

Our 16 frame/full second cooldown grab is a downer but probably not as much of a downer as everyone else trying to get past fireballs.

D

Deleted member 189823

Well, then, I'm really doing something wrong. And I just don't get it. What's her neutral like? What the hell do we do at neutral? Do I just spam N-Air (which I have to be perfect with, otherwise I get grabbed...).

BottlesChan

Smash Rookie
How do you act with anything out of flip kick besides the attack itself? I can't seem to jump or up b after using down b.

BottlesChan

Smash Rookie
I try that and the only option I have is a regular up b. I can't jump after down b. Am I mistaken that it is possible to do anything other than up b?

David Viran

Smash Lord
You just wait for flip jump to end or land. You have all your options after it ends but sometimes the timing is hard because if you do it too early you get the kick. Jumping should be no problem if you use like y to jump or something tho because you can mash it.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Well, then, I'm really doing something wrong. And I just don't get it. What's her neutral like? What the hell do we do at neutral? Do I just spam N-Air (which I have to be perfect with, otherwise I get grabbed...).
her neutral is a combination between paralyer/nair/zair for walling/zoning. falling uairs for aerial approaches against some chars (utilt/usmash if you r grounded), and NOT CHALLENGING SHIELDS. (read: using defenive options (i.e. downb, rolls) to reset the situation)
see, you're right that nair is very punishable on shield safe for good spacing, thats why empty jumps are gdlk. If you see a shield as zss, you need to let it be. short hop > downB instead of aerial if they go for a shield approach - reset back to midrange and overwhelm. the trick is that you can never win a game purely with defensive options. eventually they are going to have to attack/grab, and that is where you beat them. that and because of ur godlike midrange game u can punish them trying to approach

you do have things you can do on shields. well spaced aerials, CROSSUP AERIALS have been the crutch of my pressure game (learning crossup nair with the backwards hitbox is gdlk cuz it punishes rolls too), ftilt, spaced dsmash, zair, charged paralyzers at range...

our oos is... decent. any character with a low profile dtilt can pretty much destroy our shield with dece spacing tho lol. think sheik, pikachu... outside of that, we have no lasting hitboxes to **** with spotdodges/rolls/airdodges, so that is a matter of requiring crazy on point tech skill to punish consistently throughout a day of playing.

see matter of fact is that zss struggles with defensive options (shield, invulnerabilities, low profile). learn to work around them rather than try to work through them and you're golden.

i think our worst mus are greninja (cant kill: his aerials have lasting hitboxes > cant really bair/fair // upb can be combo broken with substitute i think it is + he destroys our midrange with shurikens, has good offensive pressure with low profile and tilts), pikachu (a pika that doesnt use jolts and pressures with tilts), sheik (good fair spacing = unpunishable even with upb, low profile, hard to kill cuz lasting aerial hitboxes), and i can see the case for post-patch DK, with a bit of rage he kills with a grab from 70-80% - tho we win the neutral really hard.
outside of that, mus like capt falcon, ness, & mario are EXTREMELY swingy cuz while you generally win neutral, they kill so well (esp mario with roll usmash against short hops) and rage can change the outcome drastically.

just to come back to dair for a second, @ Shadó Chimera / シャドーキメラ Shadó Chimera / シャドーキメラ where do you find the info when dairs hitbox comes out? I just don't see why it'd have to be after those 4 frames of landing lag instead of occuring before that

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Barely just got home, won a tournament, yay~
Before any of you ask, I bet you nothing of anything was saved or recorded. RIP

Decided I would bring out the Zero Suit (which has been a personal lab monkey only character for me for 2ish months) after pools and each subsequent game I played things got easier and easier (yay snowballing tournament focus). I also went with playing music only throughout games, first time in 6? years

I... heavily implemented sh air dodge today... not in the "my name is shulk in jump mode on wifi or bad marth/lucina/etc on wifi" type, but as my go to option in CQC in dancing around people. Nair was getting me meh results (against Ike... and Falcon) so I just went with back air or up air instead for the rest of the day... up air has surprisingly good amount of horizontal range; I think nairing in neutral is probably a cardinal zero suit sin at this stage, expect hate from me if I see you doing it.
Side-b on occasion and not caring about getting dash attacked as a punish in most character's cases when I'm already shuffling hard because what else am I going to do (I literally fell out of every multi hit move today as well... tilt stick is a whole new world for me oh my god). I was shield poking people quite frequently, sh ff uair on a platform into a brief wait second up air spaced well poked 75% of the time on my BF/SV/lylat matches.

I played pools with Roy and lost to a TEN YEAR OLD Donkey Kong (so mad) but it switched on the focus. Only dropped games in bracket in Winner's Finals to Sonic, he went with hard shielding game two when he realised I wasn't being campy (an apparent contrast to the other local ZSS), and third game on lylat was a bust (bad stage in the MU imo). Lot of crossing up and really late landing aerials outside grab range into roll/spot dodge/jab/wait, broke them down.

Unfortunately somethingsomething health, already have a large headache and will be having a pretty ughh tomorrow, hopefully not more than a day!

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Barely just got home, won a tournament, yay~
Before any of you ask, I bet you nothing of anything was saved or recorded. RIP

Decided I would bring out the Zero Suit (which has been a personal lab monkey only character for me for 2ish months) after pools and each subsequent game I played things got easier and easier (yay snowballing tournament focus). I also went with playing music only throughout games, first time in 6? years

I... heavily implemented sh air dodge today... not in the "my name is shulk in jump mode on wifi or bad marth/lucina/etc on wifi" type, but as my go to option in CQC in dancing around people. Nair was getting me meh results (against Ike... and Falcon) so I just went with back air or up air instead for the rest of the day... up air has surprisingly good amount of horizontal range; I think nairing in neutral is probably a cardinal zero suit sin at this stage, expect hate from me if I see you doing it.
Side-b on occasion and not caring about getting dash attacked as a punish in most character's cases when I'm already shuffling hard because what else am I going to do (I literally fell out of every multi hit move today as well... tilt stick is a whole new world for me oh my god). I was shield poking people quite frequently, sh ff uair on a platform into a brief wait second up air spaced well poked 75% of the time on my BF/SV/lylat matches.

I played pools with Roy and lost to a TEN YEAR OLD Donkey Kong (so mad) but it switched on the focus. Only dropped games in bracket in Winner's Finals to Sonic, he went with hard shielding game two when he realised I wasn't being campy (an apparent contrast to the other local ZSS), and third game on lylat was a bust (bad stage in the MU imo). Lot of crossing up and really late landing aerials outside grab range into roll/spot dodge/jab/wait, broke them down.

Unfortunately somethingsomething health, already have a large headache and will be having a pretty ughh tomorrow, hopefully not more than a day!
Congrats! Next time bring your camera!
That said, I feel like the reward on hit from nAir is way too good to drop it too hard, but mixing it up is important anyway.

David Viran

Smash Lord
her neutral is a combination between paralyer/nair/zair for walling/zoning. falling uairs for aerial approaches against some chars (utilt/usmash if you r grounded), and NOT CHALLENGING SHIELDS. (read: using defenive options (i.e. downb, rolls) to reset the situation)
see, you're right that nair is very punishable on shield safe for good spacing, thats why empty jumps are gdlk. If you see a shield as zss, you need to let it be. short hop > downB instead of aerial if they go for a shield approach - reset back to midrange and overwhelm. the trick is that you can never win a game purely with defensive options. eventually they are going to have to attack/grab, and that is where you beat them. that and because of ur godlike midrange game u can punish them trying to approach

you do have things you can do on shields. well spaced aerials, CROSSUP AERIALS have been the crutch of my pressure game (learning crossup nair with the backwards hitbox is gdlk cuz it punishes rolls too), ftilt, spaced dsmash, zair, charged paralyzers at range...

our oos is... decent. any character with a low profile dtilt can pretty much destroy our shield with dece spacing tho lol. think sheik, pikachu... outside of that, we have no lasting hitboxes to **** with spotdodges/rolls/airdodges, so that is a matter of requiring crazy on point tech skill to punish consistently throughout a day of playing.

see matter of fact is that zss struggles with defensive options (shield, invulnerabilities, low profile). learn to work around them rather than try to work through them and you're golden.

i think our worst mus are greninja (cant kill: his aerials have lasting hitboxes > cant really bair/fair // upb can be combo broken with substitute i think it is + he destroys our midrange with shurikens, has good offensive pressure with low profile and tilts), pikachu (a pika that doesnt use jolts and pressures with tilts), sheik (good fair spacing = unpunishable even with upb, low profile, hard to kill cuz lasting aerial hitboxes), and i can see the case for post-patch DK, with a bit of rage he kills with a grab from 70-80% - tho we win the neutral really hard.
outside of that, mus like capt falcon, ness, & mario are EXTREMELY swingy cuz while you generally win neutral, they kill so well (esp mario with roll usmash against short hops) and rage can change the outcome drastically.

just to come back to dair for a second, @ Shadó Chimera / シャドーキメラ Shadó Chimera / シャドーキメラ where do you find the info when dairs hitbox comes out? I just don't see why it'd have to be after those 4 frames of landing lag instead of occuring before that
I'm sad at the lack of mention of bair pressured. Disagree with you on zss's oos options. They are amazing. Up b hits all the way to the ground and is a frame 4 oos option. Having jab, utilt, usmash, and even grab. Also we can kill greninja because I feel Bair is our most important kill move and that still works.

Last edited:
NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Dair landing hitbox comes out the 1st frame you hit the ground, but in order for you to get a landing dair you have to be in the air using dair for 3 frames or it will autocancel instead.

Seibertron

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone i'm new here, been practicing the game competitively for a while, but I live in a small Canadian town, so theres no smash scene anywhere near me. I main zss, would anyone like to play with me online sometime? Also what are some of her best/worst matchups?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Congrats! Next time bring your camera!
That said, I feel like the reward on hit from nAir is way too good to drop it too hard, but mixing it up is important anyway.
Nair is good but I think it's best relegated to when you have control of a match (high pressure, cornering people, free jump ins, opponent isn't in a complete defense state). Sizable amount of nairs would've still been used, but the realisation behind it right now is it's complete lack of variability in usage; I always talk about certain characters (usually low tiers) have single really good powerful options, but as people get used to the match up and realise that it is the "ONLY OPTION" that gets used it becomes a lot weaker if people play around it, and when the character doesn't have an alternative that's when they're low tier. When it comes to us and nair we're always short hopping waiting and then slow/fast fall nairing into the ground, it's clunky and can be hard to space at various vertical heights, it exposes her body through it's animation a lot more than her up air and back air do which flatten out her body. For the most part at best it has 5 frames of variability to it and it lacks last moment reflexive alterations.

Meanwhile, never thinking to myself "I need to get dis nair doe" I would get landing up airs, which gives you a second up air, fair, etc etc. Fair auto cancelled into trapping a landing/fall with nair into something that kills them.
Going a little further on the whole SH AD thing, it's ZSS next best defensive option after shield. As we're all experienced before, people look for our jumps for punishes and whatnot and the sheer baiting power of sh air dodge into landing WIN aerial worked way too often. People will adjust to this, but the adjustment will be the best type: respect, respecting the fact that us jumping isn't a free dash in/positional advantage punish. If it looked precarious to land with an aerial after SHAD, a fast fall crossover/tilt, double jumping (seriously not as easy to capitalize on as people make out; make it a double jump AD and never rarely get up air or up smash punished from the opponent), I even threw out side-b or flip jumped away a few times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom