• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The worst recovery?

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
Olimar. Not enough pikmen will lower the range, and being a tether recovery is just plain bad. Ivysaur's a close second, and Yoshi in third, as although he doesn't have a good third jump, his first two give him a better chance then any tether recovery.

iankobe

Smash Lord
His recovery isn't the best, but it gets the job done well. Mario's recovery is GOOD in Brawl srsly.
I wouldn't even use the word GOOD for Mario's recovery.

Maybe a "BAD".

Seriously, Mario's isn't good at all. Not the worst obviously, but isn't so good either.

-Zangetsu-

BRoomer
BRoomer
Olimar
Link
Falco

But my idea of a "Bad Recovery" Is limited options of returning to a stage. Thus making you predictable.

Sure Falco can get back 2 ways but that up-B is simply not enough.
Link's Hookshot USED to be a good option for recovery but now his chain cant go as far and his Up-B leaves him the only option of returning high or trying to sweet spot. Just isn't enough.
Olimar is great everywhere, except at recovering, Best Whistle before you offer your Up-B up.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
Pit

I mean whats with that? Sakurai could have at least been a bit fairer with him.

And Metaknight. Its so unfair

Wolf. His sucks from what Ive seen. Then again, Wolf just sucks in general.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I wouldn't even use the word GOOD for Mario's recovery.

Maybe a "BAD".

Seriously, Mario's isn't good at all. Not the worst obviously, but isn't so good either.
Mario has many more options than most characters when recovering.

He can deflect projectile spam with the Cape.

He can deter ledgeguarders by throwing Fireballs. This is much easier to do in Brawl because of floaty physics.

Mario's extremely fast air game also enables counterattacks while he's recovering. While U-airing people was effective in Melee to deter spiking, this can be done more easily in Brawl because Mario can recover so much a greater distance.

Mario's Up-B is also one of the better ones in terms of recovery. Normal humans cannot react fast enough to intercept it. It also has very high priority and decent knockback, making it even more pointless to try to intercept it. If Mario chooses to land on the stage, it also has low landing lag.

Mario's recovery is no longer BAD in Brawl srsly. It's at MINIMUM average. The reason why his recovery was bad in Melee was because he could only BARELY recover in terms of distance, so he couldn't effectively utilize most of his options because he would then risk missing his recovery completely. In Brawl, this is NOT the case.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Since I've heard that Ike's recovery was better than I thought, my views on the worst recovery is limited to those that rely on tether recoveries (Olimar, Ivysaur, Zero Suit Samus).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Zero Suit Samus's recovery isn't completely tether based. Her Down-B actually acts a lot like any other Up-B would, THEN she can tether from that.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I am going to say Lucas/Ness both have the most gimpable recovery. But Ivysaur and Olimars are pretty easy to edgeguard as well.

I'm going to say Wolf's recovery is tricky but it's not that bad once you get used to it.

Ørion

Smash Ace
I disagree that zamus has a horrible recovery. Granted, it is not as good as many other characters, but its two jumps and then the tether reaches so far. + she can use her Down special to help.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I am going to say Lucas/Ness both have the most gimpable recovery. But Ivysaur and Olimars are pretty easy to edgeguard as well.

I'm going to say Wolf's recovery is tricky but it's not that bad once you get used to it.
Lucas and Ness's recovery isn't nearly as punishable as you may think it is. Especially Lucas's. You can't simply run into Lucas's PK thunder. The way to eliminate it is very matchup specific. And mind you, both Ness and Lucas can activate PKT2 pretty quickly if they are doing it right.

Olimar and Ivysaur simply die if you wait on the ledge however.

As for Wolf's recovery, it isn't all that good, but it isn't close to being the worst. It is terrible in terms of distance, but Wolf at least on certain stages can be extremely unpredictable with his Forward B, which has a lot of useful glitches.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
teather recoveries dont suck until high % because u can get back on stage by just pressing left or right T_T

pirkid

Smash Lord
Yoshi. He has no extra jump or Up B recovery. He is limited in options and therefore doesn't have a lot of room for variation in recovery.

His come back's suck.
Please tell me your joking.
/sarcasm detector broken

I would say, Olimar, and Ivysaur, like the rest of the posters on this thread.
But, I find DK's Up-B annoying as hell when I get sent downwards. T.T

Zanyruki

Smash Rookie
Olimar, because at least Ivy can side-B first to stop edgegaurding. In order to stop hit someone off the edge with Olimar, you have to have a purple pikman, down-b until he's at the front, wait until you're close enough to throw it, since purple pikman have the shortest range (so if you're already below the edge, you're screwed, while Ivy's side-B curves up towards the end), then you have to have enough pikman to reach the edge after throwing one away.

Though if solo Popo counted, he would win hands down.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I'm going to change my vote.
I still think Olimar and Ivysaur have sucky recoveries but I find that Bowsers and DK's are among the worst seeing as the barely gain any vertical height.
If they're knocked below the stage they're screwed.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I would have to say Ivysaur. While we're on the subject, I have a subject to ask. I know it's too early for a Brawl Tier list, but is it possible to get a Brawl Recovery Tier List at Christmas or something along those lines? I would honestly like to have one for Brawl.

Corigames

Smash Hero
You know what? I'm going to do something crazy and throw up Pit. Yeah, Pit. You know why? I was killed at under 30% twice today, early in the match because I went off to attack them and had to use my up B. They then used theirs and killed me because his DOESN'T COME BACK AFTER GETTING HIT!!! BS.

Any other character that uses Up B to recover at least gets theirs back...

Heevar_Lewlson

Smash Cadet
You know what? I'm going to do something crazy and throw up Pit. Yeah, Pit. You know why? I was killed at under 30% twice today, early in the match because I went off to attack them and had to use my up B. They then used theirs and killed me because his DOESN'T COME BACK AFTER GETTING HIT!!! BS.

Any other character that uses Up B to recover at least gets theirs back...
Normally if you Up-B on the ground, he'll do a little hop then fly around. I'm pretty sure if you jump then very very quickly Up-B, he'll use the wings while on the ground, then you can fly off to chase, and you'll still have all 3 jumps and another fresh Up-B. I think it's called Wing Refreshing? Doesn't help much if they hit you after the second Up-B though :p

And besides, after maining TP Link, I have absolutely no sympathy for any problems with any of the better recoveries (which would be what, almost all of them?) :laugh:

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
i would say olimar or any one of the spacies. yoshi, zamus, and ivysaur would follow
Olimar has the worst recover in the game in my opinion. Its hard for him to jump back to the stage with those little legs of his, and when he has to rely on his pikmin to catch the ledge for him, he can be edgehogged very easily.

Falco and Wolf also have bad recover in my opinion, Falco's being worse.

Yoshi accually has a pretty good recovery in this game. His second jump is beastly long for starters and his eggs are able to carry him the extra distance or get people off the edge for him.

Zamus also has a good recovery in my opinion. That whip is a painfully long tether recovery and she still has a third jump with her down B.

Ivysaur's jumps are not so good if I remember, but at least he has a tether recovery.

Top Bottom