• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Week in Review Issue #17

Which Types would You like to see in a Pokemon Stadium 3

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The Week in Review Edition #17
5/05- 5/09

Banner by @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

Staff
Writers:

@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
@TumblrFamous
@---
@Opossum
@ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy
@Frostwraith

@ Pazzo. Pazzo.
@BigAxle

Guest Writer:
@ Rocket Raccoon Rocket Raccoon

Editor:
@Aerodrome

I would like to take this time to apologize for the lack of content in tWiR. Sadly, I have been very busy so I have not been able to give my 100% all to the articles. Wthin a few weeks, however, I think I will be able to dedicate more time to it. Again, I apologize and I hope you enhoy the articles.

I would like to say a big and huge thank you to:
Previous Issues

[collapse=Previous Issues]
To view the previous issues
Issue #1
Issue #2
Issue #3
Issue #4
Issue #5
Issue #6
Issue #7
Issue #8
Issue #9
Issue #10
Issue #11
Issue #12
Issue #13
Issue #13 Direct
Issue #14
Issue #15
Issue #16
[/collapse]

Want to help or contribute?

[collapse=Rules and Other Infos]This is the first edition of "The Week in Review". The Week in Review will be a series of articles I have made throughout the week concerning the Pic of Day through using posts, threads, and MiiVerse to pool information and opinions about Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS . However, the articles are not only limited to my own observation but to those of the larger Smash 4 community. Users are encouraged to submit articles and observations as well as opinions concerning the pictures that were updated throughout the week. I will explain how you can contribute later.

So what can you expect from this thread? On Friday, I will update the thread with a new article which will contain the Pic of the Day, other relevant images, information, I will also be pulling out interesting and thought provoking posts that have popped up throughout the week on the various threads such as the Wii U Discussion thread, 3DS Discussion Thread, MiiVerse Photo Thread, Roster Discussion Thread, character support threads as well as the Super Smash Bros, Wii U/3DS Backroom thus linking them altogether. In addition, I will also be adding up any information that Sakurai has revealed outside of the website/MiiVerse such as interviews and news articles.

I will open the thread on the weekend for people to talk about how the week went and comment on the articles. However, I will be closing the thread on Monday in order to prevent premature discussion about the weeks updates. I will be operating on Japanese Standard Time since both myself and Sakurai (OMG both of us in the same sentence?!?!?!) live on JST. View the JST Page in order to fully understand how time works.

Additionally, while this thread will focus on solely the Pic of the Day, I will sometimes allow pieces to be written about Smashboards, the Smash Community, MiiVerse, or Sakurai information. Additionally, once we have more information regarding the nature of the character, I will allow a user to write up an in-depth analysis of a character, veteran or newcomer. So come show your stuff!

Why is this thread needed?

We do have various discussion threads pertaining to various aspects of Smash. However, this is less of a discussion thread and more like a newsletter. I intend to present the facts and portray an unbiased review of the week. It will also serve as a hub to collect information, pictures, and articles that have been released in a weekly format thus allowing users to review the past weeks for better understanding how to predict future updates or to comb through information in an effective manner. It will also serve as a place to users to present their information, opinions, and observations in a semi-academical format. More information is listed below. If you see an interesting, funny, thought-provoking, or ridiculous post either on the SWF or on MiiVerse, PM me about it and I will include it! If you want me to remove you from a certain Tag, PM me and I will take you off.

Also, I wanted to use this space to allow users to be creative and constructive in speculating Smash in a more journalistic manner. I will not edit any posts except if they are inappropriate, bypass the censor, hateful in nature, or irrelevant.

How can I help?

You can contribute to this thread in many ways.
1) You can serve as a guest writer. This is done by contacting me via PM and apply to be a guest writer for the current week. I am able to allow or refuse the guest writer based on past credentials and reputation within the Smash 4 community so please keep that in mind.

After approval, I can either give you a piece to write OR you can choose one yourself. It should be focused on a particular Pic of the Day. Please promptly let me know which one you intend to. If I do not hear from you within a day, I will not accept an article. The article itself should be professionally written with little to no grammar or spelling mistakes. Any sources should be cited with a link to direct readers. While I understand some updates may be hard to write for, please write at least two paragraphs for each update. Unless it is an update of Luigi's nose but I am sure someone can find some Freudian psycho-analysis about that update. Please refer to the first edition post about how to write an article (though I am pretty sure many journalist/lit majors can do a much better job than I can lol).

2) You can help me gather posts that are excellent or at least interesting in nature. PM me any posts concerning a particular update and I will then add it to the articles. I frequent the above mentioned threads on a daily basis but I obviously miss things so I am heavily dependent on everyone getting me those great and thought-provoking posts. I want this thread to showcase what the brilliant minds in the Smash 4 community can do!

3) While you can discuss past and future weeks, please refrain from dissecting or analyzing the previous/future weeks and save that for the current week.

4) Could someone be a dear and make a banner for this thread. It's not urgent but a banner would be grand.[/collapse]

Table of Contents

1.1 Day #1: Bringin' the Roof DOWN!
3.1 Day #3: The MELTHA Attacks!
4.1 Day #4: Tea,! Unite Up!
5.1 Day #5:
6.1 Week Overview
7.1 Week in Review Interview: @BluePikmin11
8.1 We Want YOU to Vote! Results

Bringin' the Roof DOWN!!!
Day #1: Monday

Writer: Venus of the Desert Bloom

Sakurai started the week out with some new information regarding a previously released stage.

"Pic of the day. You can get up on the lights of this special ring. It's a perfect secret hiding place."
Additionally, he added another PotD and quote about it:

"And you can attack the lights and have them fall to the ground! That makes things dark. The lights are way up high, but even Little Mac can get up there by jumping off the ropes."
This definitely changes the dynamics of the stage as many thought this would be a straight forward stage in terms of design. Many felt this spelt doom for it being considered tournament legal.

@Morin0

I was really looking forward to this stage being tourney-legal...
@RascalTheCharizard

I'm sure someone already said this, but BANNED.
@bigbro2233

However, many failed to consider that:

The stage would have been banned anyway since it's a walk-off.
@Connery

However, some jumped tot he stage's defense and brought up one of the criticisms concerning new stage speculation:

BANNED!

More often than not, a stage is often labeled banned by the community even before more information is released. Some users had a bone to pick with that:

I honestly think we're way too quick to ban things.
@SmashShadow

Love it. Banning stages before the game is out.

Do you guys know why stages with walk off were banned in brawl and melee?

Some of the best CPs have hazzards in both games!

Try the stage or at the very least understand the game, before you start banning stages based on screen shots. If you are getting hit by the falling lights in a 1v1 I don't think you were going to win the match in the first place...
@<3

Walk-offs were banned because characters could get chain-thrown to their deaths, or waveshined for that matter.
@Time/Space Mage

@<3 went onto say...

Exactly. Walkoffs (and stages with walls) were banned in melee because of fox, and banned in brawl because of Dedede. (wave shine and dthrow chain grab respectively) They were not banned because people camp them, or because you can't edge gaurd on walk off stages.

Stage hazzards alone have NEVER been an issue in the competitive scene. Random game changing hazzards were the issue. (those of you who watched the smash brothers will sioght this as the reason items were off in melee). Thats why as a melee smasher coming over into brawl I am still very upset about all of the brawl stage bans which would have made a lot more character viable, but that a discussion for another day.

My favorite stage in melee was mute city, which had a very real game changing stage hazzard. It stayed legal because you had warning before it happened. But hey maybe thats banned now I don't know I played melee competitively 10 years ago so maybe that got banned out too.

Here is a list of melee stages that were legal with hazzards back when I played.

brinstar
Japes
great fox(corneria)
kongo jungle
mute city

And as far as I know the only stage that was banned for being "too campy" in melee is hyrule castle.

In the case of "the ring" stage it is a player activated hazzard. If sakurai's post was "sometimes the lights malfunction and fall! Be careful, its a 1 hit K.O.!" I wouldn't even be posting now, it makes sence to question something like that. This is a player activated hazzard; the furthest from random you can get.

If peach is up above you down smashing the lights over and over again and they hit you The hazzard didn't kill you, she out played you.

If someone is camping the edge of the stage and you let them grab you and back throw you. the walk off didn't kill you, you got out played.

I'm gonna sound like an old man here, but you guys new to the scene with out the history and experience backing the 'why's should be very wary about defining the competitive scene of a game that isn't out yet.
So far (at least if you are using the same logic as the previous titles) this stage has no ban worth qualities yet.
It is indeed too early to suggest that a stage may be banned or another with little information. However, when not considering the FD version, the lights and walk-off edges certainly hurts its chances at being seen as a competitive legal stage.

The quote implies that in order to get to the ceiling lights, using the ropes as a spring to launch oneself up is needed thought this would be for characters with poor jumping ability such as Little Mac and Bowser. However, it will be easier to get to the lights characters such as Diddy Kong, Zero Suit Samus, and potentially Ms. Fit who are great at jumping or characters like Kirby or Pit who have multiple jumps.

By attacking the lights, it brings the lights down. It most likely will deal a large amount of damage with the center point of the lights doing the most amount of damage. It also most likely does vertical knockback when it connects since you can see Little Mac getting hit upwards. It is possible that it could push out players when they are on the side but seeing as how Little Mac is near the edge of the lights, it most likely does vertical knockback. Bringing down the lights also adds the effect of turning them off thus obstructing players vision due to the darkness.

Some felt that this light addition harkens back to Donkey Kong Country 64; in particular the final stage where Donkey Kong faces against his enemy, King. K. Rool.

Some feel this potentially links to King K Rool being playable in Smash 4,

If the kremlings in the smashrun was'nt enough, I'm now convinced that King K. Rool is in this game. XD
@BowserK.Rool

If King K. Rool ever makes it into Smash, Sakurai needs to make a pic of the day with Diddy Kong dropping the lights on King K. Rool.
@MasterLuigi

While I am sure it is coincidental, it is interesting to see that connection.

Things Confirmed for Monday:
1. The Boxing Ring will allow players to jump onto the lights and knock them down to the ground.​

The MELTHA Attacks

Day #2: Tuesday
Writer: @ Rocket Raccoon Rocket Raccoon

Tuesday's picture shows us a bit more new information about Smash Run, specifically a new Smash Run enemy. It shows us a Met from the Mega Man series and is the first third-party enemy ever to be included in Smash Bros. The other enemy also appears to be a Octorok from the Legend of Zelda series.

Pic of the day. Members of the Enemies That Love to Hide Association, here are Octorok and Met. Calmly grab them while they're ducking.
In other words, Sakurai is stating that there is only one way to beat the Met and Octoroks. You have to grab when they are ducking.

Met (AKA Metall or Mettaur) is a reappearing Mechaniloid enemy in the Mega Man franchise dating back to the original games and have appeared in every game (except in the Mega Man Legends series.) Mets contain hard hats that are indestructible when hiding and shoot Mega Buster-like pellets when attacking.
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Met

Even in Legend of Zelda hiding enemies are extremely common. Octoroks are known for shooting at rocks at Link unexpectedly while Link is fighting and have appeared in almost every Zelda game except for Twilight Princess, Link's Crossbrow Training and Zelda on the Game & Watch. In Skyward Sword, you can kill the attacking Octorok by putting Link's shield up at the moment it is about to make contact with Link or by simply doing a vertical slice at the rock.
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Octorok

Users commented on the PotD. Some users had wishes for hiding enemies they want to fight in Smash Run.

If only you could grab Mets with Gutsman's weapon in Megaman 1.
@Ragna22

Now we just need Boo.
@TingleZC

It'd be nice to see a Sonic enemy appear in the Smash Run too like the Moto Bug. I think that'd be pretty cool
@DarkFoxTeam

Moto Bug​

"Pic of the Day. Members of the Enemies That Love to Hide Association."

UrghhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH​
Stupid hiding enemies drive me nuts
@itsameluigi1290

If a Sonic enemy did appear in the "Enemies That Love to Hide Association" I think this little bugger would be a good fit:
@Gombukelp

I'm probably guessing that that Octorok came from Skyward Sword, since I never did play that game before.
@ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy

Things confirmed for Tuesday:

1. Octorok confirmed to be an enemy on Smash Run.
2. Only way to kill hiding enemies is to grab them.

Team! Unite Up!
05/07/2014

Day #3: Wednesday
Writer: @ Pazzo. Pazzo.

Wednesday’s Pic of the day brought us a look at another one of the wonderful HD trophies that will appear in Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U.

Sakurai said:
Pic of the day. Fight! The Wonderful 100!! We also made trophies of some of the other Wonderful Ones.
Wonder-Red, a character from the Wonderful 101, a Wii U exclusive title from PlatinumGames, makes his debut in a Smash Bros. game. But to the dismay of some, he’s not playable.

Wonder-Red is the main hero of The Wonderful 101, and a member of the CENTINELS Planetary Secret Service. His real name is Will Wedgewood, and he is a school teacher outside of being a superhero.
http://the-wonderful-101.wikia.com/wiki/Wonder-Red

Being on of the main characters of a Wii U exclusive game, many people expected Wonder-Red to show up in some form. A few even considered him a strong candidate for a playable character. Not only did Sakurai remove any hope of him playable, but also the chances of a few other characters in the Wonderful 101.

Here’s what a few of the users on Smashboards had to say about the disconfirmation of Wonder Red:

Poor, poor Wonder Red supporters. That's two blunt de-confirmations in the span of a week.
@Chris Baker

AW SNAP. Based-Samurai deconfirmin' characters left and right.
@BeatNinja

Mac did 101 sit-ups for nothing.
@IsmaR

So first he got a hidden location, then hiding enemies, and now a hero with a hidden identity. What Sakurai hide from us tomorrow...
@relaxedexcorcist

Not interested in W101 so it doesn't matter to me. But Wonder Red being officially deconfirmed before Ridley? That's because Ridley's so badass the blonde bombshell chases HIM. He'll be at E3!
@R0Y

Imagine if both WR and Dillon are secretly in the game and this is just their trophy, and he's showing us to throw us off the trail.

Not that I believe in conspiracy theories but... that'd be pretty badass.
@Radical Beam

Lest we forget, Wonder Red.

*Plays Amazing Grace on bagpipes*

Anywho, let's see some Mii trophies soon now :D
@Yonder

Well, another character out of the running.

Better brace yourselves for Sakurai's ban hammer as the release date creeps closer.
@FalKoopa

Regardless, Wonder Red’s deconfirmation will serve as a morbid augury for other characters, doomed to trophy and assist trophy status.

But as the french say:

“C’est la vie.*”

*Such is life.

Things Confirmed for Wednesday:

1. Wonder Red appears as a trophy.
2. Other characters from the Wonderful 101 appears as trophies.

What is this, 20 Questions, Sakurai?
Day #4: Thursday

Writer: @BigAxle

Yet another two part Pic of the Day was shown today. This image gives us some details about the Bullet Bill item, first shown during promotional images. He put a twist on today’s POTD, first showing the first one only, as a question, later adding the second one showing its effect. As we’ve only seen images of the new item, this gives new info regarding items in general and the effect of the Bullet Bill. The Bullet Bill also appears in Smash Run as an enemy.

The First POTD:

Sakurai said:
"Pic of the day. Bullet Bill here is an item. Can you guess what happens when you use it?"
The Second POTD:

Sakurai said:
"Answer: You turn into Bullet Bill and go full speed ahead!"
The Bullet Bill is an infamous offensive weapon in the Mario Kart games, originating from the original Super Mario Bros. They have always had eyes in the game, although older artwork and models depict them with a mouth. From New Super Mario Bros onward, Bullet Bills now only have eyes and arms. For those unfamiliar with the Bullet Bill, here’s a quick synopsis:

MarioWiki said:
Bullet Bills are bullet-like projectiles with menacing looks and arms that appear in theMarioseries. They are shot out ofBill Blasters, and are usually under Bowser's control, acting as enemies ofMariosince their debut inSuper Mario Bros.. Ever sinceSuper Mario 64, Bullet Bills have had the ability to home in on Mario, also like a missile. These enemies can be found throughout many of the classicMario games and in newer games, where they have increasingly been items, mostly in theMario Kartseries. Other games depict them as sentient being with emotions, and some talk in the cartoons.
The Bullet Bills became items as of Mario Kart DS, being a rare item that was usually only obtained in the lower positions. Once it is used, a player will automatically be controlled by a fast moving Bullet Bill, knocking everything in its path, with the exception of players with a Star effect. The time they travel is relative to the position of the player. A player at first will have minimal moments to be under the effect of the Bullet Bill. They are generally one of the most annoying items to deal with, as it allows for a player to go from 12th place all the way to 1st, depending on how close the players are.

In Smash Bros, it appears it will have a slightly shorter effect. Judging by the arrow in the second pic, it appears that the Bullet Bill will be angled for a short moment and then fired (and by fired I mean you turn into a Bullet Bill and hurt any enemy in your path) with what looks like to be moderate damage.

However, while the first image appears to have no info, it has a small aesthetic element in it. It appears that an item, much like the original Smash Bros. for N64, will place a small arrow above an item pointing to the item’s status in-game. However, unlike Smash 64, the arrows here appear to be much smaller to not obstruct the play field. This is likely included to help differentiate from a hazard to an item.

Here’s a sample of a few user’s thoughts:

Mario Kart Items in Smash.

How delightfully evil.
@TingleZC

So, people will be able to fly off the stage? Can this item be used as a recovery? My question is how far it goes, and if you'll return to the stage.
@mgblue90

The more overpowered items, the better.
@R.O.B.

Now we get to see how it is to be a bullet bill in a game. Now we can understand its pain when it misses and it's utter joy when you hit.
@Nietendodude

Things Confirmed for Thursday:

1. Items will have a small arrow to indicate their status in-game, like the original Smash Bros.
2. Bullet Bill can be angled and will do moderate damage.
3. The player directly turns into a Bullet Bill to attack.​

Dragoon Away!
Day #5: Friday

Writer: Venus of the Desert Bloom

With the wave of previously confirmed content via Direct subsiding, this week showed us some interesting new updates. In particular, Friday update was the return of a well-known item that was brought to Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

The Dragoon!

Unless you don't remember, the Dragoon was an item that could be collected in parts. Upon completion, it would create an extremely powerful and fast vehicle that players could use to strike down their opponents. For more information of Dragoon, visit it's Smash Bros. Wiki page: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Dragoon

With the Dragoon, players can defeat their opponents in one hit. It is a very powerful vehicle and it returns to the Smash with a few visual upgrades but it is unknown if the Dragoon itself was upgraded or downgraded. Here is what Sakurai had to say about it:

"Pic of the day. Uniting three parts will complete the legendary Air Ride machine…the Dragoon! It's back! But we didn't just leave it the way it was, and added some nice touches to the design of the targeting screen. It is, of course, in stereoscopic 3D on the 3DS."
And indeed the targeting screen has been altered from its last rendition:

Some sort of alien scrawl or hieroglyphics adorn the screen while intense flames burn on the sides. The flames themselves seem more pronounced and dramatic then in Brawl. Additionally, Sakurai also commented that the targeting screen would feature stereoscopic 3D which will most likely appear elsewhere in the game. It is currently unknown how much of the game will be in actual 3D.

Sakurai also added another comment and picture about the Dragoon itself:

"Just the target screen felt lacking so here's a pic of the Dragoon itself. I wanna get on it. I wanna get on and ride it."
The Dragoon, aside from HD enhancements, remains fairly unchanged and stays true to its Kirby model. Here is a picture of the Dragoon model from Brawl:

Personally, I would of rather seen the Hydra replace the Dragoon.

Fans reacted positively to the news though many felt they were expecting it.

Wait so this item is for the WiiU also right? This is one of my favorite items.
@AIM0001

Oh yeah and Dragoon looks awesome in HD, makes me want a Kirby Air Ride remake or sequel.
@Ragna22

I was kinda hoping Hydra would also be included; same item, it's just randomly set to one or the other at the beginning of the match.
@Reality_Ciak

Well for me I guess it's kind of new. I don't recall seeing the Dragoon Piece in the Direct.

I can't wait for this chaotic mini-game of theft and death to be reborn.
@KingofPhantoms47

I always enjoyed the meta-game influence that the Dragoon brought, but at the same time, I already knew it was coming back, so it was a really redundant Friday picture. I suppose that isn't anything new though.
@MorbidAltruism

What a beautiful item. A beautiful ****ty item.
@The Drilling Juggernaut

Ugh, Dragoon. I have never liked that thing.
@KenithTheGatherer

I thought the first pic was DK's final smash for a second.
@relaxedexcorcist

I thought that as well when I first saw the picture. Overall, the new targeting system looks amazing and it is good to see older items return.

Things confirmed for Friday

1. The Dragoon returns and it has 3 parts
2. The targeting system has been upgraded visually

Overview
This week was fairly calm considering the storm that is brewing this June. With the news of the E3 focus on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS; many fans are looking forward to that mostly. Still, the PotD's continue to be posted and generally earlier than before. In Japan Standard Time, the average update time has been between 3 pm and 3:45 pm which is a lot earlier than the 4-5 pm update times prior.

Monday showed us the Boxing Ring again and how it's possible to jump up to the lights and cause them to crash down. Tuesday confirmed that Octorok and MET will appear as enemies within Smash Run and can only be defeated by grabbing them from their hide outs. Wednesday revealed that the Wonderful 101 will be represented as trophies and, in particular, Wonder Red was showcased. Thursday confirmed that Bullet Bill will become an item and will transform the wielder into an actual Bullet Bill. Finally. Friday showed us that the Dragoon will return with an enhanced targeting system display. Overall, a mellow week in regards to updates and reveals without any upsets or hype. However, the hype storm is brewing off the shores of E3 and will hit land early June so brace for impact, stock up on necessities, and prepare for the hypestorm.​

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Week in Review Interview of the Week

@BluePikmin11

BluePikmin11 is both a well-known and active poster in the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS forums. While he is active in many areas, he is most active in the Character Discussion category. He is commonly seen in the Character Discussion thread and is notable for his intense support for the characters Prince Sable and Dr. Kawashima of which he is the owner of both support threads. BluePikmin11 is also the owner of other threads such as the Uniqueness Tier List, Possible Newcomers and Veteran Reveals at E3, and the Best Drawings of the Smash MiiVerse Community as well other threads that could fill a box. I hope you enjoy this interview and hopefully you get to know the pikmin that is bliue.

1) How long have you been a member on Smashboards and why did you join?
I’ve been a year-long member of Smash since January 5th of 2013. The original purpose of me joining this fantastic forums was actually because I just wanted to speculate the prediction roster just like everyone else. It was getting kind of closer to the Smash Bros reveal at E3, I figured that I should join and get help from other speculators so I can get the correct roster Sakurai is developing. Like everyone else, I was first part of the Krystal, Isaac, Sora, Bowser Jr. pure bias bandwagon of prediction rosters. I really had no idea what choices I was adding, I did not even know who Andy, Isa Jo, and plenty of others were, which feels embarrassing to me the more I think about it more.

2) What is your favorite part of Smashboards? What is your least favorite part?
That’s a tough one. My favorite part of being here in Smashboards is people discovering new wants for Smash 4. I know plenty of people like Hippotasauce, who researched and played the game Kaeru No Tame ni wa Naru and loved it, and MorbidAltruism whom seemingly converted into a Kawashima supporter after reading through the doctor’s support thread. Moments like those make me feel warm and happy like melted butter and make me glad that I’m here in Smashboards almost every day to watch the magic happen. My least favorite moment is probably the character disconfirmations that people salute to in the Character Graveyard and their support threads. With some people really setting their bar for certain newcomers (that I think won’t happen), I’m secretly hoping that their newcomer gets more prominent exposure and importance so that they can be happy someday. Some support threads that I really felt bad for were Lip’s and Starfy’s both whose support threads are owned by Young Horsetail. Luckily Young doesn’t have to fade away forever though, he still has Palutena to feel happy about.

3) Will you be getting Super Smash Bros. for Wii U or 3DS?
Most definitely, I currently am enjoying my Wii U and 3DS with playing Azran Legacy and Tropical Freeze (which I haven’t played yet due to being very busy). My console and portable is just waiting to get those games out, I absolutely can’t wait to play them.

4) Who are your Mains in 64/Melee/Brawl? Who do you plan to main in Smash 4?
My mains have been mostly Ness/Kirby/Ice Climbers and most of the time Olimar. The usefulness of the Pikmin and the ability to annoy people with the little creatures is what I love about the Hocotate captain the most. I plan on maining them along with Wii Fit Trainer and Villager; they look like characters I can play as and master online to troll people.

5) Who is your most wanted newcomer for Smash 4? More than one answer is ok.
My most wanted newcomer is a tie between Prince Sable (From a Japan only game called For the Frog the Bell Tolls) and Dr. Kawashima (From the popular Brain Age series). I was first introduced to Prince Sable back at summer of 2013 when the Sable support thread was pretty active at the time. I became more curious about Sable’s game the more people that had him on his roster. I first remember exactly having him in a prediction roster about version exclusive characters (which is deconfirmed at this point), tTat was the time when I wanted to watch WaddlrD’s YouTube playthrough of the game. I instantly fell in love with the game and began downloading almost every music track, the characters and gameplay is simple and fun with many of it’s humorous moments. I’ve been advocating for him so much now, hoping that Sakurai chooses the right pair of revivable retros.

Dr. Kawashima is another story. When Wii Fit Trainer was confirmed to be playable, I had that gut feeling that we would still be getting more surprises in the rosters. As the months went by, learning about more characters, I came across Kawashima as a possible suggestion. I have played Brain Age games before, so I had some familiarity with him. The more I researched about his games and the more I realized the moveset potential he had that Sakurai could choose because of that (Which was one of the main reasons Wii Fit Trainer and Villager was included), the more frequently I putted him in my prediction roster. Although many would likely be against this inclusion due to some “realistic” issue, I still prevail on putting him on my roster, mainly because there’s just that inevitable feeling of Sakurai adding this polygonal floating head with hands and the variety of newcomers Sakurai is adding, I still feel this will be one of them. The concept of a fighting professor head alone just sells me and slowly became one of my most wanted newcomers in a long time. I probably would like to see him more than Sable, just for the crushing reactions.

6) What stages would you like to see included in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS? Past stages included?
I’d like to see Pushmo Park as a stage. I think Pushmo has one of the most interesting designs that could be a lot of fun as a stage with Mallo as a stage hazard. Maybe you could attack the blocks to push the blocks. There’s plenty of potential for it. I think most have suggest Gaur Plains, any Xenoblade stage will do, but personally I would like to see a batte field containing Mechonis and Bionis fighting in the background. If Ness is back, Onett better be back, I love the car hazards and very encouraging music that fuels my competitive side, literally the only stage I care to see return.

7) What would you like to see improved or expanded from Super Smash Bros. Brawl?
Ganondorf needs that revamp for sure, I would like to see the LttP version of Ganon, the most defining feature of Classic Ganon is the trident, it’s something I would like to see Sakurai reveal at E3. I would be sold with the character roster even without my most wanted newcomers if he gets that revamp. I’d like to see Ness get a brand new moveset, encompassing what made Lucas a great character, with PS-i Magnet getting an additional function that would help Ness not stay low tier.

8) What was your most favorite Smash Bros. I moment/memory?
For me was doing so well and actually comboing hardcore with Zelda, ending the match with her F-Air, the only moment I feel proud of doing in Brawl.

9) Where did your username come from?
My username originally came from an old competitive Smash forum called Brawl Rankings (Not too sure if it’s alive today), that was the time when I wanted to try out Pikmin 2 since I played Olimar so many times. After renting and trying the game out, I began falling in love with the series. That’s when my old username slowly changed from smash99 to BluePikmin11. I have been using this name since then on other gaming websites and forums.

10) You joined near the start of the Smash4 hype. How has it progressed since then? Do you have any observations about concerning the evolution of Smash 4 speculation?
Much has changed since then, as stated before, I have been at the time when E3 was 6 months away from the reveal. We really went on a very safe level, lots of sword-based characters and popular characters were on rosters. Ever since the E3 reveal (Especially when it came to Wii Fit Trainer), not much progress has evolved. Some speculators are still playing it safe with their roster as they got their predictions wrong twice with Greninja, Rosalina and other deconfirmations. I have a feeling we’ll be seeing more wrong rosters as E3 comes closer, don’t blame it on me if you guys play it safe when Sakurai is doing the opposite.

11) Is there a video game that you would like to see be made into a movie (or vice versa?)
I’d like to see For the Frog the Bell Tolls get anime shorts when Sakurai potential revives the franchise. I’d like to see a Xeno movie directed by Monolith Soft themselves, it could be very interesting to watch. What I would like to see the most is probably a FE:A anime, that alone would make me keep in touch and follow.

12) Is there any type of food that you like that others nay consider strange or disgusting?
SPAM meat and other every kind of meat goes well with rice! (Except raw hard beef)

13) Please tell us one thing about yourself that we may not know?
I was born in Japan, living the enjoyment of walking through advanced cities, while visiting the Japanese Pokemon Centers every so often or going to the Japanese Mario Kart Arcade GP while getting popcorn from the Doreamon machine. Life there is very fun and so bizarre, I’m hoping to come back there one day for vacation, I’m pretty curious of what the atmosphere is like now since I left in 2006.

Thank you BluePikmin11 for taking the time to fill out the interview! Check back next week for another edition of the Interview of the Week. Who will be it next time?

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We want YOU to Vote! Results

What sort of player would you like to see invited to the Invitational?

Last week, I polled readers on who they would like to see chosen for the Super Smash Bros. Invitational that will be held at E3 this June. The options ranged from only pro players to only casual players, a mixture of both, some of the top Nintendo executives and personal, and even you. Let's take a look at the results.

What sort of player would you like to see invited to the Invitational?

1. Top Pro players (i.e. Mew2King, Mang0, Armada, etc)
    37 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Casual players (chosen randomly via application)
    1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. A mixture of professional and casual players (8 and 8)
    7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. Top Nintendo staff (Reggie, Iwata, Sakurai, etc)
    8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. Celebrities (actors, singers, personalities, or even gamer celebrities)
    1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. Chosen randomly from the crowd at E3
    1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. Chosen via lotto
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Me!!!!
    6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  9. I don't really care. I don't plan to watch it.
    1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  10. Other
    4 vote(s)
    6.1%
These results showed us some interesting results. Coming out on top was the first option " Top Pro players (i.e. Mew2King, Mang0, Armada, etc) " at 37 votes or 56.1% of the total votes. This accounts for more than half of the votes. I feel this is a representative off who readers want to see in this Invitational. And by pro players, I am referring to players such as Mew2King, Armada, Mang0, Ally, ADHD, and so on. This would allow the elite of the competitive world to try the game publicly as well as a chance for Nintendo to reach out to the competitive scene - something that has been lacking for quite some years now. However, this could also backfire on Nintendo has poor publicity on the game could potentially hurt sales and opinions of the game before the game actually comes out. As well, the pro players may stick with out the characters they know well and may not try out the newer characters. This is dependent on the rules of the Invitational. However, could help as a form of constructive criticism where Nintendo could address some portions of the game that the pro players felt were lacking. Regardless, it could go either way but with pro players being invited, it would give everyone a clearer picture to how this game is played, its mechanics, and overall feeling.

Coming in second was Top Nintendo staff (Reggie, Iwata, Sakurai, etc) It had 8 votes or 12.1% of the total.
I found this to be a little surprising but it makes sense as obviously the Nintendo executives and personal would give high remarks to the game. Plus, Sakurai would obviously win the tournament overall with his one handed game playing.

Coming in third place was A mixture of professional and casual players (8 and 8) It had votes or 10.6% of the total votes.
This seems to be the agreed stance for many casual players (and by casual players - I am referring to players who do not rank in tournaments or competitive events). Having an evened number of players would definitely give an evened perspective on the game overall though I am fairly certain that having unseasoned players go against pro players would be pretty unfair seeing as, most likely, the pro players will win.

Fourth place was awarded to the option Me!!!! It has 6 votes or 9.1% of the total votes
I said I wouldn't count this one but is interesting to see how many actually voted for it. I think that obviously people want to be the one who is invited but considering that Best Buy will be hosting local tournaments, many can have that honor. Still, the lure of the spotlight might bring out the desires of some individuals.

Finally...
Other had 4 votes or 6.1% of the total
Celenrities, Casual Players, Chosen Randomly from the Crowd, and I don't really care all got 1 vote or 1.5% of the total.

And lonely Chosen via Lotto got zero votes or 0% of the total.

I feel that many fans would like to see the pro players included in some way for the Inivitational as it will give us some window into how the game will be in terms of mechanics, game play, and aspects. Casual players would like to see a mixture of Competetitive and Casuals while some want to see the higher ups at Nintendo have a go at it. Additionally, some voted for "Other"

I voted Other on the poll because there was no "all of the above" option. I want pro players, casual, top Nintendo staff, celebrities, random people from the crowd and a lotto, and of course, I'd love to go, as well. Regardless, I plan on watching it no matter who is invited.
Jumpman84

If you voted for "Other" and want to be included into this section, please let me know!

We want YOU! to Vote!

Which Types would You like to see in a Pokemon Stadium 3

A Pokemon Stadium 3 is very likely to appear given that Pokemon Stadium was in Melee and Pokemon Stadium 2 was in Brawl. In the Pokemon Stadium stages, the stage will transform to resemble one of four types:

For Pokemon Stadium 1
Grass (lush jungles and plants.)
Water (Geysers and ponds)
Fire (Things on fire)
Rock (Hills and mounds of dirt)
For Pokemon Stadium 2
Electric (conveyor belts and appliances. Electivire and Magnezone)
Flying (Air turbines. Drifloon, Hoppip, and Skarmony)
Ground (Mountain and rock with a hut. Cubone, Dugtrio, fossil
Ice (Ice and snow. Snorunt and Snover and Sakurai's cat)
So what types do you think should appear for Pokemon Stadium 3? You will be able to choose four of them total. Kepe note that Pokemon will most likely be included into the stage transformations as well.

1. Normal
  2. Fighting
  3. Bug
  4. Psychic
  5. Ghost
  6. Steel
  7. Dark
  8. Dragon
  9. Poison
  10. Fairy
  11. ???
Let us know which 4 should appear as transformation portions of Pokemon Stadium 3. Also, feel free to let us know what you envision for each transformation phase such as appearance and Pokemon! I will publish it in the next issue of We want YOU to Vote!​

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This was left on my WiR desk earlier this week and just labeled.....

"*laughs*"

Digging through its contents, I was amazed at the treasure trophy I have stumbled upon. I quickly translated a random entry into English and held onto it until today. Thus, I present to you, Smashboardians.....

Sakurai's Dairy

I was able to translate some more pages which were rich in content, stuff about his kitties, and laughing. Rich and succulent.

5/7/14: Dear Diary,

"Just finished posting today's pic on Miiverse. It was a pic of some superhero from a Wii U game... I think it's called the Wonderful 100, but I could be wrong. As the launch of Smash Bros. 4 approaches, I'm disconfirming characters left and right. While it may be mean, It gives me a little pleasure in seeing the fans writhing in agony over their favorite characters become assist trophies, regular trophies, or stage hazards, or stickers.... gosh, I need some sleep.

I'd love to take a break, but my contract with Hiroshi Yamauchi's ghost keeps me working 24/7 with only one-week long break a year until Smash 4 reaches 1 million sales. They need it, after all, the company took huge losses. I get people coming in my office daily begging me to save the company with Smash 4... we'll see.

Iwata has become even MORE scary lately. I swear, if the black smoke cloud and demonic club last week weren't enough, I'm positive that the over sized warlord armor is. When I asked him what's going on, he said it's because he's 'Trying to appeal to the Hardcore Market". I blame Reggie.

My spy from the internet reported today. He says a lot of fans are found on a "Smashboards", a Smash Bros. fan website. I was touched, but when I saw the user's messages, I became upset. So I've sent 20 teams of hackers to bring it to it's knees. The infamous "Site Down for Maintenance" will now constantly be up. I'll show those Hardcores... I'll show them all!"
*The Diary from here descended into madness from here. It also contained some scribbles of his cats dressed up as the Smash cast. On side was written, "Potential newcomer".

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Misc Information/Requests
The WiR is a huge commitment for me. I typically spend anywhere from an hour to 5 hours of my day making sure the WiR is as good as it can be. But I do have a job that I constantly have to prepare and study for as long as taking online classes myself and studying Japanese to further my career. Not to mention I have a social life, a wife, and commitments that conflicts with the WiR.

Therefore, I depend A LOT on outside help. If you would like to help write a WiR, please contact me via Private Message and we can work out the details. If you have any idea or would like to contribute something different, I am open to ideas. For example, the veteran analysis was entirely @APC99’s idea. I could also use some help in finding quotes, watching threads, and proofreading. If you see some interesting posts that you think may help me in writing the WiR, simply quote it in a Private Message or quote/tag me in your post on that thread. That way, I am sure to read it and within its context.

Secondly, I want to open to three Requests I have for people. If you are interested in helping out, please put "____________ Submission" so I know what you are applying for.

Little Mac Newcomer Analysis

Are you planning on maining Mac? Was he one of your most wanted characters? Or are you interested in writing about him? I am looking for a capable writer to help cover the Little Mac analysis.

If you want to write up a analysis on Little Mac, hit me up on PM.

Pit Veteran Analysis

Were you a Pit main back in Brawl? Are you looking forward to trying out Pit's new moves? Show your enthusiasm for the warrior by writing up a veteran analysis! Contact me and we can discuss the details.

Potential Character Analysis: Ridley

Are you an avid supporter of Ridley! Show your knowledge of the space dragon by writing up an analysis of how Ridley would be incorporated into Smash! Everything from move sets, stats, game play, and more! Contact me for more details!

Stage Analysis

Are you interested in writing about stages? Feel free to contact me and apply to write about a Stage Analysis!

Here is a list that you can choose from!

1. Spirit Train

2. Tomodachi Collection

3. Arena Ferox

4. Mario Galaxy

5. Windy Hill

6. Garden of Hope

Let me know if you are able to write an analysis for either one of these stages!​

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom : I may be up for doing an article for the Mario Galaxy stage, but until I return from my family business matter, I can't really start on it. At the latest, it may not be until May 14 that I'll get to making the article.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Week 17 = In the bag.

My choices for the Poke staduim 3 were fighting, ghost and fairy. Fighting would appear as a dojo, ghost as a haunted house, and fairy as a fountain in the woods.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Dat diary. Still humorous as all get out. :laugh:

As for the poll, Pschic, Ghost, Dark, and Fairy pl0x. Basically a more supernatural, and no I am not talking about the TV show, theme.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
There is actually one Octorok in Twilight Princess, it can be found in a hidden area by swimming along the river in the middle of the town Link's house is near.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I accidentally only chose Poison on the poll. I meant to do Poison, Dark, Dragon, and Fairy. Oh well.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I accidentally only chose Poison on the poll. I meant to do Poison, Dark, Dragon, and Fairy. Oh well.
Are you unable to go back and add another vote? I will look into it for you. If not, I will just add your votes in that you mentioned above when I tally them all up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom