• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Universal Cosmic Destroyer": Giygas for Super Smash Bros.!

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman

Yup, you read that correctly! I indeed propose for Giygas to join the battle! However, to avoid any confusion, I want THIS Giygas, and not THIS Giygas. To further clear any confusion, this version of Giygas is his Mother 1 self, dubbed "Giegue" in the unreleased Mother 1 translation. But, Giegue has appeared in a released English translation of Mother 2 under the name "Giygas", so that's what I'll be calling him.
So who is Giygas anyways?

If this is the question you're asking, you are a terrible person for not having played any games in the MOTHER/EarthBound franchise. (Just kidding, I love you. Please don't leave me.)

Also, SPOILERS.
So anyways, to quote EarthBound Wiki:
"Giygas was an alien raised from infancy by a woman named Maria and her husband George, both of whom were abducted from Earth in 1909 (dated as the early 1900s in the unreleased English translation of Mother and in Mother 1 + 2).
During this time, George studied the alien's PSI powers without their permission, culminating with their escape back to Earth.
Once he matured, Giygas was tasked by his people to ensure that PSI never spread onto Earth. However, Giygas did not want to betray those who raised him, particularly Maria.
In the end, he was forced to detach himself from Maria and begin preparations for the invasion of Earth. Sometime before the invasion, Giygas comes across the Apple of Enlightenment, a fruit that shows the future.
Giygas learns of his inevitable defeat at the hands of Ness, and so he attacks Earth twenty years before this would occur in order to disprove the prophecy."

Giygas is then defeated at the hands of Maria and George's grandson, Ninten, who did so by singing a lullaby that Maria used to sing to him.
In EarthBound, Giygas is once again influencing the world and Ness's arsehole of a neighbor Pokey, and is planning out his attack from the past. He has become an Embodiement of Evil, and now must be contained inside 'The Devil's Machine". However, Ness, Paula, Jeff and Poo defeat him nonetheless.​

So why would you want Giygas anyways?

So, now that we (FINALLY) have both Lucas, a Mother 3 rep, and Ness, an EarthBound rep, in Smash Bros., it would be neat to have Mother 1 representation. And since I personally think that Ninten looks exactly like Ness, I really think Giygas would be a neat addition.
Plus, it's always nice to add antagonist representation for a franchise that lacks one in the Smash Bros. roster (I'm looking at you Metroid).

So what could Giygas offer?

I think Giygas could, like all the other MOTHER characters in smash, have a wide variety of PSI-based attacks (I mean, he belongs to the first species to bear PSI) and, like all the other MOTHER characters in smash, borrow a few from other characters. However, unlike Ness and Lucas, his specials could be things we haven't seen before. My ideas are:
-Up Special: PSI Teleportation. Works like all the other teleport moves, except that he gets more momentum when he comes out of the portal. Maybe it'll damage other people if he comes into contact with them after coming out of the portal. Giygas takes the position of Starmen during this move, as a reference to the fact that they teleport around in EarthBound.

-Down Special: PSI Shield. Similar to the Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing. When forming the Shield, Giygas is left pretty vulnerable, as it takes some time to form. If it is successfully performed, Giygas will earn a shield that drastically improves his defense. The Shield breaks after Giygas is hit enough times. However, if Giygas has been hit whilst forming the Shield, it will corrupt and Giygas will receive about 5/4 of the damage given whilst forming his shield instead of a Shield.

-Neutral Special/Side Special: You cannot Grasp the true form of Giygas's attack. This is one of the odder suggestions. I wanted some way to translate that attack he had in both Mother 1 and EarthBound into Smash, and it's pretty hard. Various ideas I had for this were
*The effect of the attack is always random. But the effects cannot be deduced simply by looking at the victim. For example, if the effect on the victim was to place a flower on his head, the flower will be invisible. And maybe just have the side special be PK beam or something.
*Depending on how many times the neutral special button has been pressed in a row, Giygas's side special will have different effects that only the player playing Giygas can predict.
Oh, and try to guess what his Final Smash should be. Come on.
Well, here it is:

Final Smash: Devil's MachineGiygas is suddenly contained into the Devil's machine. After the lead player's face flashes on the heart of the machine, the Devil's Machine breaks and Giygas will now look like the above. He will now cover the entire stage and warp around like he did in EarthBound. By pressing any button, a large ring of PSI will close in somewhere on the stage, the direction chosen by the Giygas player. Whoever is hit will be infected by various effects, such as:
-Being Flowered
-Becoming huge
-Becoming stunned.
-Becoming asleep
- PSI Flash-like properties
-Becoming metal
Also, any hit player will receive considerable damage when hit by a ring. The closer they are to the center of a ring, the more damage they take.
After a while, Giygas will turn back into his, Mewtwo-like self and all effects inflicted onto players will be removed.

Well, that's about it! Please feel free to leave suggestions, better ideas, criticism, and reasons why Giygas is an odd choice (because honestly he would be rather odd).
Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

EarthboundHero

Smash Ace
NNID
DutMob_A1
Yo This!!!! This needs to be a thing. I feel Earthbound is over looked because it looks like a kid's game. But idk I feel Nintendo is trying to do hella **** with Earthbound lately. They've been milking the fact that there hasn't been an offical translations of all 3 games. So that might act as a spoiler

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Would be the best obscure-ish character ever.

Getting an original design just for smash would be cool too. However it would need to based off of what little depictions we do get of him in mother.

Can we make him the new skull kid or geno of the dlc generation?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This idea is good but would curse the entire Smash Bros roster!

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
Count me in! I've been wanting Mother 1 representation for so long. Getting Giygas or Ninten would be the best thing ever.

D

Deleted member

Err... Excuse me?
If Giygas, the destroyer of memes and bane of existance enters the World of Trophies, it will only spell D-O-O-M for our heroes. They would have to get on the level of TAS-empowered Foxes to save the universe before Giygas destroys it.

It doesn't even matter what kind of evil Giygas we may be speaking of here. I must call in all Arwings to protect us from this potential threat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
If Giygas, the destroyer of memes and bane of existance enters the World of Trophies, it will only spell D-O-O-M for our heroes. They would have to get on the level of TAS-empowered Foxes to save the universe before Giygas destroys it.

It doesn't even matter what kind of evil Giygas we may be speaking of here. I must call in all Arwings to protect us from this potential threat.
Oh.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
wow, i had no idea there was a thread for this. i don't think he has much of a chance to be honet but giygas from mother 1 has been one of my most wanted characters for ages

Top Bottom