• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Uniqueness Tier List: Captain Falcon, Robin, Lucina, Shulk, and Meta-Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I agree with Blue, we should probably start with the Top 10 from RTC.
That would be Little Mac, Palutena, K. Rool, Ridley, Takamaru, Mii, Shulk, Dixie Kong, Pac-Man, and Chrom.

@ ToothiestAura ToothiestAura
I like it! Personally, I wouldn't group Luigi in D Tier though (if only because of my personal bias).
Characters like Luigi or Wolf really don't have that much in common with the characters besides a few moves, so I would personally put them in C Tier and save D Tier for characters like Roy or Pichu.
Yeah Wolf may have similar looking moves to Fox, but when you play the two they feel incredibly different.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Little Mac
(I am using BluePikmin11's questions)

1. How many diverse options does this character have?
Little Mac has a possible Star Mechanic where hits (and or dodges) are used to collect stars which strengthen or change his specials (or other moves). I suggest his B move being Star Punch which is the sole way to gather stars. Three stars max; they appear above his stocks. Each other special has four stages: regular, one star, two star, three star. Each special depletes one star unless Little Mac has three stars, then all are depleted.

Some have argued that his moveset only involving punches counts as unique. While technically this would be true because no other character does this; conceptually this has been done already to some extent with Wii Fit Trainer. She uses yoga positions for a majority of moves.

2. Is their moves or abilities diverse from the rest of the Smash cast?
The Star Mechanic proposed versions all seem as if they would be a reward mechanic which would be the opposite of Lucario's. While Lucario gains strength the more he is punished; Little Mac is rewarded for punishing his opponent. This is different enough.

However, his "only punching" uniqueness (I would argue) is not diverse enough from Wii Fit Trainer's yoga pose trait.

3. Has the concept of the character been done before?
The Star Mechanic would be unique. The "punching only" feel of the character has been done in spiritual concept.
3a. If it has been done before, is the character's way of doing it unique on it's own.
Wii Fit Trainer has a similar style that Little Mac would potentially have. She looks like she has big hitboxes and is able to string together hits by her video. She focuses on one main stye (yoga poses). Now it is one thing for a newcomer to have a somewhat similar style to a veteran. But two non-clone newcomers having a similar feel might appear stagnant and a waste of a spot.

4. Is the character's abilities and moves provide enough to be entertaining?
Suggested movesets usually include at least two (if not all four) specials that are fist versions of Marth's specials. This stacked with a "punching=only" moveset might give audiences a more-to-be-desired attitude toward him.

5. How visually different is the character in terms of body shape and looks?
Being a short, realistic human I think he stands out enough in the visual department.

6. Does it fit the character well enough?
His Star mechanic and "punching-only" moveset do fit him.

Rating out of Ten (Uniqueness): 6 *(edit) After reading other posts I decided that because Little Mac would probably use a Sta Mechanic (which would be entirely new) he should be ranked higher. His new score is 7.5 (his "punching" only style and possible already-done specials holding him back still).

*The Star mechanic is what puts him above average. The inverse of Lucario's mechanic is interesting.
*BUT, he seems like he would be to similar to Wii Fit Trainer in: having a "monotone" fighting style and basing his playstyle on rushing in and starting up combos to overwhelm his opponent.
*Also, his specials might be a little reminiscent of Marth's specials.

MOVESET

Little Mac's playstyle is about building up and unleashing his inner strength. He has average jumps, speed, and rolls, but a spectacular quick sidestep. While his weight is also average, his power has a chance to be great. His Up and Forward Smash can be hard hitting as well as his back aerial. But his specials are where he has the potential to truly shine. While starting off as utility moves, his specials can morph into star-studded finishers.

Little Mac's throws are designed as mini-games between himself and the opponent he grabs.

Mechanic Star Power: Star Punch gains stars. Stars fuel the other specials. A star appears above Little Mac's icon near the percentage. Boxing gloves glow brighter with the number of acquired stars. Maximum of three. Using a special, other than B, will eat up one star UNLESS you have three stars. A fully charged special will use all three stars.

Specials
B Star Punch: A quick punch. Designed to tack on during combos. Adds a star to Little Mac's Star Meter.
Side B Star Dash: Charges half the distance of a Fox Illusion and throws a straight punch.
1 Star: Charges half the distance of a Fox Illusion and throws a straight punch that stuns, followed by flurry of punches.
2 Star: Charges half the distance of a Fox Illusion and throws a straight punch that stuns, followed by flurry of punches that stuns, and concludes with Little Mac throwing a big hook.
3 Star: Charges half the distance of a Fox Illusion and throws a straight punch that stuns, followed by flurry of punches that stuns, then a big hook that stuns, and concludes with an uppercut. Will always eat through a full shield.
Up B Star Uppercut: Similar to Mario's Up B with a greater emphasis on covering horizontal distance. Hits opponent up.
1 Star: Small explosion of light at height of jump from his glove.
2 Star: Larger explosion of tiny stars at height of jump from his glove for an even bigger pop and some splash damage.
3 Star: Biggest explosion of stars for big KO potential at tip of glove and big area of splash damage.
Down B Star Counter: Blocks with gloves and counters with an uppercut. This counter does not factor in the blocked attack from the opponent. Rather the power of the counter comes from stars. Unlike other counters, this one sends the enemy into the air. Straight up. More stars, equal more power.

Ground Moves
A: Jab, can be repeated.
Toward A: Right hook, press of A results in follow-up left hook
Down A: Crouches and jabs, can be used repeatedly with press of A
Up A: Leans back and sends two quick circular punches upwards as if hitting a speed bag. Can be repeated.
Down Smash: Rotating backhand. Quick but not very powerful, good keep away move.
Up Smash: Big jumping uppercut.
Forward Smash: Leaps back slightly and follows up with a strong straight punch.
Dash A: Pushes with both gloves. Good for clearing a little bit of distance.

Aerial Moves
Back Air: Pulls elbow back and then spins around with a big punch. Slow startup.
Down Air: Looks down, spreads legs slightly and throws two quick solid punches down in succession.
Up Air: Throws a straight punch upwards causing Little Mac to rise a little bit the first time he uses it.
Forward Air: Throws a diagonal punch forward that hits opponents away and slightly downward
Neutral Aerial: Does a slow aerial spin as he throws a blur of punches to rack up damage.

Throws:
A: Gut Punch
Forward Throw: Little Mac starts to pull back a fist. A press of any button will cause him to punch. Further the pull, the further the enemy goes. However, the enemy can breakout, interrupting the punch.
Down Throw: Punch to the chin causing the enemy to drop.
Up Throw: Does a squat while lifting the opponent above his head and then machines gun punches upwards sending enemy into the sky after tacking on good damage.
Back Throw: Jumps onto of enemy and starts to punch downwards. Enemy can move at this point and must try to shake Little Mac off. Higher percentage means Little Mac can stay on longer for more beatings. Quickly mashing B results in quicker punches. Can jump off at any time.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I like it! Personally, I wouldn't group Luigi in D Tier though (if only because of my personal bias).
Characters like Luigi or Wolf really don't have that much in common with the characters besides a few moves, so I would personally put them in C Tier and save D Tier for characters like Roy or Pichu.
Fair enough, perhaps Luigi in Melee or SSB64 would be a better fit.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Great job on the Little Mac analysis! ^_^
Well thought out, as you said, punching is not really unique on its on for a full-on moveset, so that does derive from his uniqueness as several characters have done it before. But the risk and reward idea does make the character feel like a fun character. I see potential in this thread, we may be able to figure it all out.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
As unique as Mac could be, he could also be the "sword-less" Marth or heck, a mix between Falcon and Luigi (Having similar neutral and side Capt. Falcon specials, and similar up and down Luigi specials, though I find this one HIGHLY unlikely.)
But, if he does wind up being one of the above, the star thing can make him the Pichu of SSB4: an almost semi-clone character thanks to a gimmick unique to him.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would argue that even though Little Mac may not have the most exciting potential, his uniqueness would fare at about a 7.5.
A boxer is a staple to the fighting game genre, and the fact that Smash doesn't have one is a bit funny.
And I don't see too many similarities to Mac and Marth. The only other person I've heard that from is Saturn.

@ Depressed Gengar Depressed Gengar
Pichu is a straight up clone, not an "almost semi-clone".
I highly doubt that Mac would end up a mix of Captain Falcon and Luigi. I'm going to guess you haven't played Punch Out?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Except Marth would focus on hitting on the tip of the sword to get the most out of his character, whereas Little Mac focuses on racking up damage to earn better stats. So he's slightly different from Marth, he's just only using his boxing gloves instead of a sword.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Except Marth would focus on hitting on the tip of the sword, whereas Little Mac focuses on racking up damage to earn better stats. So he's slightly different from Marth, he's just only using his boxing gloves instead of a sword.
Not to mension he is smaller so if anything it would be like a Link to TL comparison.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
No, he's completely different than Marth.
Marth is a swordsman, and although he is also about racking up damage with his sword, it's a bit of a slower process than I have in mind for Mac.
Mac would be a sort of hit and run character, similarly to Sonic. You could run up quick to someone, stun them with a punch, hit them a few more times to get a combo and maybe send them flying if you have a star. Then you run, and repeat.
And his high risk high reward style is definitely something not yet seen in Smash Bros. The star system could be very interesting and a lot of fun.
I see what you mean by the Marth similarities (a punch like shield break, a counter attack, an uppercut like Marth's recovery) but in the long run Mac would feel and look so different while doing this that nobody would put the two together.
Not to mension he is smaller so if anything it would be like a Link to TL comparison.
Well that's in Brawl. I really want him sized up this time, to match his Punch Out Wii size of about 5 ft 7.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
So do you wanna have time limit on how long a character's uniqueness should be rated?
I say we should at least rate 1-3 characters a day depending on how fast and well the process goes.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So do you wanna have time limit on how long a character's uniqueness should be rated?
I say we should at least rate 1-3 characters a day depending on how fast and well the process goes.
Yeah, I think it really depends on who the character is and what discussions they start.
Mac will be a day or two since I want this thread to get some more attention. Then we can speed things up.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I can work on Ridley based off of your questions.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Say are we able to change the thread title so we notify people what character it is, some people may come here because they best know the character very well if we are able to change the title.

I can work on Ridley based off of your questions.
Sure, go ahead. That's why I left them up there for you guys to use. ^_^

For this day, were should focus on the Elite 4.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
My comparison to Marth was based on specials that I have seen in moveset designs.

*Chargeable B; can possibly punish shields
*Combo Attack with fists
*Counter
*Rising with punch

Of course this is all speculation. But I have yet to see really unique specials.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
This is pretty cool but I have to argue we can't really discuss how "unique" a character is? I feel uniqueness is in the "eye of the beholder" per se. For example, Sakurai clearly surprised us with WFT and Mr. Game and Watch of all things, I bet you if people were to bring those characters up prior to reveal there really wouldn't be any "potential" according to us. Then there are characters like Fox and Captain Falcon who were never seen out of the cockpit. I'm inclined to think no one would have thought of IC's being 2 characters instead of one. Even characters we think are unique probably won't end up working the way they do. I mean, did anybody think of Megaman not using any punches? Or what about Ganondorf? He has plenty of potential....but he's a clone. This being said we can't really dictate what character is "unique" because Sakurai has the final say not us.

We may think a character is unique but he might not. He might completely blindside us with a character choice because we didn't think of said character even having any "potential". It's certainly fun to discuss, but just putting it out there that "potential" is really Sakurai's call.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
For Mac's Standard B, I always imagined him to do a quick punch. You could do multiple quick punches in a row, but the move cannot be charged.
It doesn't do much damage, but it can stun the opponent for a short amount of time.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I think I'd like a shot at that
[collapse= Rhythm Heaven Character]
Rhythm Heaven Character

Many people bring up the possibility of a rhythm-based moveset, where hitting to the beat of the music powers up your attack. However, I'm pretty sure this is both technologically and conceptually impossible, especially since a song doesn't usually have a singe defined beat. The alternative is a timing-based moveset where you're required to string your attacks in the right amount of time. Too late or too early and you won't do as much damage and your combos will falter. This is similar to Marth's Dancing Blade from Melee. This timing gimmick could be applied to all of the specials, and perhaps also the smash attacks. What they attack with is another thing that separate them from others, as most ideas include them using objects or people from all the different minigames in the series as weapons.
Wrestler is the exception, in which his identity is using actual wrestling moves as a grappling character.

2. Are their moves or abilities diverse from the rest of the Smash cast?
Partially. A timing based moveset is something that's not yet been done, but moves that require good timing are spread all throughout the series as things like Link's Fsmash, and most notably, Marth's side special. In fact, the idea of this whole thing originated from Marth. Also, the use of various objects as attacks is treeded water with both G&W and Villager doing just that.
Wrestling is something characters have touched upon, but never fully realized. Bowser's done it in his side-special and down-throw, while Captain Falcon/Ganondorf both have moves that consist of latching onto opponents.

In terms of full movesets: no.

4. Are the character's abilities and moves provide enough to be entertaining?
Timing based movesets being fun is something debatable. A first-time player probably wouldn't have a fun time playing using moves he has no idea how to pull off. However, Olimar has the same effect on newer players so it's not something that the series hasn't seen.
Wrestling as a moveset would be something stylish, relatable, and entertaining to watch. I could see Wrestler being a popular character if he is added.

I'll divide this up.
Rhythm Girl and Karate Joe both suffer from the fact that WFT share some attributes with them. Rhythm Girl is another nameless girl who often appears with white skin, and Karate Joe is either fully monochromatic or blue, depending on how he's depicted. However, I believe they can be rendered to look unique enough.
Marshall is a much more simple design and only risks looking similar to Kirby, which is a large stretch. He'd probably be the most identifiable Rhythm Heaven character too.
Wrestler is very similar to Captain Falcon in body structure, but his wider shoulders and generally more cartoony look set him apart enough.

For Rhythm Girl and Marshall, the fact that they don't do much of anything in the games they appear in allows them to pull off more farfetched things. I think it fits them very well, Marshall especially.
Karate Joe has more of a problem, considering he has a set series of actions he does in game. It would look a little jarring to see someone you'd assume to have a karate-style moveset and end up with him fighting using a badminton and trampoline.
And while Wrestler doesn't actually do any wrestling in the game he's from, it's pretty easy to excuse him considering his appearance.

Overall Rating: 7/10 (Rhythm Girl, Karate Joe, Marshall), 6/10 (Wrestler)[/collapse]
I collapsed this because I didn't realize we were talking about Little Mac specifically at the moment.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Overall, I'd say Little Mac would probably fall into either the A or B tiers.
I will hold of my judgement until I've seen more, though.

I think we should probably only do one character a day to be fair. And also announce said character's day in advance. So people know to post movesets and ideas for the character. Perhaps announce it a few days in advance so people have time to get ready. Giving Mac a few days is probably a good idea.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think we should probably only do one character a day to be fair. And also announce said character's day in advance. So people know to post movesets and ideas for the character. Perhaps announce it a few days in advance so people have time to get ready. Giving Mac a few days is probably a good idea.
Good idea.
Maybe instead of doing the Elite Four, we should instead do Mac today, maybe Palutena tomorrow or the next day, and so forth.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
This is pretty cool but I have to argue we can't really discuss how "unique" a character is? I feel uniqueness is in the "eye of the beholder" per se. For example, Sakurai clearly surprised us with WFT and Mr. Game and Watch of all things, I bet you if people were to bring those characters up prior to reveal there really wouldn't be any "potential" according to us. Then there are characters like Fox and Captain Falcon who were never seen out of the cockpit. I'm inclined to think no one would have thought of IC's being 2 characters instead of one. Even characters we think are unique probably won't end up working the way they do. I mean, did anybody think of Megaman not using any punches? Or what about Ganondorf? He has plenty of potential....but he's a clone. This being said we can't really dictate what character is "unique" because Sakurai has the final say not us.

We may think a character is unique but he might not. He might completely blindside us with a character choice because we didn't think of said character even having any "potential". It's certainly fun to discuss, but just putting it out there that "potential" is really Sakurai's call.
I think mainly because they were the stars of Nintendo at the 64 times, he probably want to create a moveset based on things they normally wouldn't do. Ice Climbers is debatable though, was it more known of a two player game than it was a single player?

I think I'd like a shot at that
[collapse= Rhythm Heaven Character]
Rhythm Heaven Character

Many people bring up the possibility of a rhythm-based moveset, where hitting to the beat of the music powers up your attack. However, I'm pretty sure this is both technologically and conceptually impossible, especially since a song doesn't usually have a singe defined beat. The alternative is a timing-based moveset where you're required to string your attacks in the right amount of time. Too late or too early and you won't do as much damage and your combos will falter. This is similar to Marth's Dancing Blade from Melee. This timing gimmick could be applied to all of the specials, and perhaps also the smash attacks. What they attack with is another thing that separate them from others, as most ideas include them using objects or people from all the different minigames in the series as weapons.
Wrestler is the exception, in which his identity is using actual wrestling moves as a grappling character.

2. Are their moves or abilities diverse from the rest of the Smash cast?
Partially. A timing based moveset is something that's not yet been done, but moves that require good timing are spread all throughout the series as things like Link's Fsmash, and most notably, Marth's side special. In fact, the idea of this whole thing originated from Marth. Also, the use of various objects as attacks is treeded water with both G&W and Villager doing just that.
Wrestling is something characters have touched upon, but never fully realized. Bowser's done it in his side-special and down-throw, while Captain Falcon/Ganondorf both have moves that consist of latching onto opponents.

In terms of full movesets: no.

4. Are the character's abilities and moves provide enough to be entertaining?
Timing based movesets being fun is something debatable. A first-time player probably wouldn't have a fun time playing using moves he has no idea how to pull off. However, Olimar has the same effect on newer players so it's not something that the series hasn't seen.
Wrestling as a moveset would be something stylish, relatable, and entertaining to watch. I could see Wrestler being a popular character if he is added.

I'll divide this up.
Rhythm Girl and Karate Joe both suffer from the fact that WFT share some attributes with them. Rhythm Girl is another nameless girl who often appears with white skin, and Karate Joe is either fully monochromatic or blue, depending on how he's depicted. However, I believe they can be rendered to look unique enough.
Marshall is a much more simple design and only risks looking similar to Kirby, which is a large stretch. He'd probably be the most identifiable Rhythm Heaven character too.
Wrestler is very similar to Captain Falcon in body structure, but his wider shoulders and generally more cartoony look set him apart enough.

For Rhythm Girl and Marshall, the fact that they don't do much of anything in the games they appear in allows them to pull off more farfetched things. I think it fits them very well, Marshall especially.
Karate Joe has more of a problem, considering he has a set series of actions he does in game. It would look a little jarring to see someone you'd assume to have a karate-style moveset and end up with him fighting using a badminton and trampoline.
And while Wrestler doesn't actually do any wrestling in the game he's from, it's pretty easy to excuse him considering his appearance.

Overall Rating: 7/10 (Rhythm Girl, Karate Joe, Marshall), 6/10 (Wrestler)[/collapse]
I collapsed this because I didn't realize we were talking about Little Mac specifically at the moment.
Great analysis, I say if the moves are timed right, you could get the most and maximum damage if timed right. A bit of a Mother 3 battle system feel.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel like what would really set Mac apart is not his punching moveset, but obviously the star system.
@ Bowserlick Bowserlick brought up an interesting point about it essentially being the opposite of Lucario's aura mechanic.
I feel like stars would be received by pulling off specific moves such as Mac's counter. My idea for the counter is that when a character attacks, Mac can slide back and rush forward, landing a strong uppercut and gaining a star.

Cpt.

Smash Lord

Ridley could potentially have quite a few options. He could be an all out sky-terror if they make is flying ability extremely good. He could have the ability to stay infinitely in the air if they figure out a way to balance it. Something could be made from his ability to change the pigments in his skin. He could also have some kind of a regeneration mechanic if you want to get crazy where each time he dies, he comes back as a different Ridley (regular, meta, omega) staying in omega mode after the cycle completes or he could have the whole other M life cycle (which sounds bad IMO). Getting even more creative he could have something like a blood lust mechanic where the more hits he gets in a combo the more damage the next consecutive move gets (this would fit well with Ridley's personality/viciousness). Being the space pirate leader (an unlikely yet possible ability) he could command different space pirate troops (this one would be a little weird though).

I think that the sky-terror option is the best one of these.

Although there are already many air oriented characters in smash (Kirby, Jiggs, Dx3, Pit, Metaknight) I believe that Ridley could still use this ability very differently than many veterans. The thing that would standout the most in Ridley's flight compared to the rest is that he could be permanently airborne. While character like Kirby and Dx3 have many jumps, the are jumping and that is that. Pit and Metaknight on the other hand and actually flying when they jump, but still they can only fly so much.

To picture this ability I would advise you to think of it more like Peach's floating ability. Ridley would be able to hold his flight/position in the air. To make this different than Peach you would press a button to activate Ridley's flight and the same button to stop flying. Let's just say his up B could do this. Once in flight, Ridley will not stop unless hit hard enough or the player switches back to ground mode. Another difference to Peach is that he would fly permanently once the mode is activated. On the other hand (to balance this) similar to Peach when flying, Ridley would not be far off the ground. In this mode he would only stay about one full jump away from the ground (or in between a full jump and short hop). This way he could still be easily hit by other characters fairly easily. In order to get higher up Ridley could then use his jumps to ascend, but would fall back down to his normal flying height once the jumps are used up. While in the air, like Peach, Ridley's default a moves would be his air moves.

Sure a lot of the smash cast can pseudo "fly", but none of the cast members posses the actual bird like flight ability that Ridley naturally has.

Potential moveset:

B: Plasma breath/charge
SB: a grab unique to Ridley's location
UB: Fly/Fall
DB: Air attack

As I mentioned before his ability is similar to Peach's, yet it is different enough for me to say that it hasn't.

3a. If it has been done before, is the character's way of doing it unique on it's own.

Different than Peach, taking small amounts of damage will not knock Ridley out of his flying mode and there is no limit to how long he could be airborne. Also instead of levitating he would be soaring above the stage and would thus change animations when moving compared to staying still. Also unlike Peach, Ridley would be significantly better at aerial combat compared to ground combat.

4. Does the character's abilities and moves provide enough to be entertaining?

Hell yes it does! Who wouldn't want to play as Ridley and be able to switch between a Bowser like monster and an aerial monstrosity?

The likes of Ridley and his design have never been seen before in smash. He is bulky like that of a heavy weight, but skinny like Marth. He is a humanoid monster and the only other character comparable to his looks would be a mixture of a Bowser dressed in Metaknight armor. He could also been seen as slightly similar to charizard.

In the Metroid series, being a brutal sky-terror is what Ridley is most known for (besides being horrifying) and that is just what this ability would make him.

Rating: 8.5/10

What do you guys think about his uniqueness?

Edit: Added moveset

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Great work @ Cpt. Cpt. , but maybe you should hold that one off until a few days from now.
We decided to limit it to one character a day so that we could focus more and reach a verdict faster.

Morbi

Scavenger
Little Mac, I don't actually think he needs to be unique, as long as he isn't bland, that is a victory. The star system idea sounds pretty cool, something I would advocate. I wouldn't mind an elemental Mac, it doesn't really have anything to do with Punch Out, but I thought it would be pretty cool if he could use elemental punches. You could give him the old Roy treatment and just make all of his punches and kicks ignite people. :awesome:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Little Mac, I don't actually think he needs to be unique, as long as he isn't bland, that is a victory. The star system idea sounds pretty cool, something I would advocate. I wouldn't mind an elemental Mac, it doesn't really have anything to do with Punch Out, but I thought it would be pretty cool if he could use elemental punches. You could give him the old Roy treatment and just make all of his punches and kicks ignite people. :awesome:
Coming from an avid Punch Out fan, it wouldn't feel like Mac to give him elemental punches.
It just isn't like Mac at all, and personally I don't think he needs it. He would be more unique as the "clean fighter" that he is in the actual Punch Out games.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I think we should give a character 3-5 days to discuss. Seems reasonable IMO.
Also, technically, Fox was based off of the Arwing, soon it's not like his moves came out of nowhere.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Ridley could potentially have quite a few options. He could be an all out sky-terror if they make is flying ability extremely good. He could have the ability to stay infinitely in the air if they figure out a way to balance it. Something could be made from his ability to change the pigments in his skin. He could also have some kind of a regeneration mechanic if you want to get crazy where each time he dies, he comes back as a different Ridley (regular, meta, omega) staying in omega mode after the cycle completes or he could have the whole other M life cycle (which sounds bad IMO). Getting even more creative he could have something like a blood lust mechanic where the more hits he gets in a combo the more damage the next consecutive move gets (this would fit well with Ridley's personality/viciousness). Being the space pirate leader (an unlikely yet possible ability) he could command different space pirate troops (this one would be a little weird though).

I think that the sky-terror option is the best one of these.

Although there are already many air oriented characters in smash (Kirby, Jiggs, Dx3, Pit, Metaknight) I believe that Ridley could still use this ability very differently than many veterans. The thing that would standout the most in Ridley's flight compared to the rest is that he could be permanently airborne. While character like Kirby and Dx3 have many jumps, the are jumping and that is that. Pit and Metaknight on the other hand and actually flying when they jump, but still they can only fly so much.

To picture this ability I would advise you to think of it more like Peach's floating ability. Ridley would be able to hold his flight/position in the air. To make this different than Peach you would press a button to activate Ridley's flight and the same button to stop flying. Let's just say his up B could do this. Once in flight, Ridley will not stop unless hit hard enough or the player switches back to ground mode. Another difference to Peach is that he would fly permanently once the mode is activated. On the other hand (to balance this) similar to Peach when flying, Ridley would not be far off the ground. In this mode he would only stay about one full jump away from the ground (or in between a full jump and short hop). This way he could still be easily hit by other characters fairly easily. In order to get higher up Ridley could then use his jumps to ascend, but would fall back down to his normal flying height once the jumps are used up. While in the air, like Peach, Ridley's default a moves would be his air moves.

Sure a lot of the smash cast can pseudo "fly", but none of the cast members posses the actual bird like flight ability that Ridley naturally has.

Potential moveset:

B: Plasma breath/charge
SB: a grab unique to Ridley's location
UB: Fly/Fall
DB: Air attack

As I mentioned before his ability is similar to Peach's, yet it is different enough for me to say that it hasn't.

Different than Peach, taking small amounts of damage will not knock Ridley out of his flying mode and there is no limit to how long he could be airborne. Also instead of levitating he would be soaring above the stage and would thus change animations when moving compared to staying still. Also unlike Peach, Ridley would be significantly better at aerial combat compared to ground combat.

4. Does the character's abilities and moves provide enough to be entertaining?

Hell yes it does! Who wouldn't want to play as Ridley and be able to switch between a Bowser like monster and an aerial monstrosity?

The likes of Ridley and his design have never been seen before in smash. He is bulky like that of a heavy weight, but skinny like Marth. He is a humanoid monster and the only other character comparable to his looks would be a mixture of a Bowser dressed in Metaknight armor.

In the Metroid series, being a brutal sky-terror is what Ridley is most known for (besides being horrifying) and that is just what this ability would make him.

Rating: 8.5/10

What do you guys think about his uniqueness?
I would argue that he has a pretty similar body structure to Charizard, but based on that analysis, he seems like a completely different character. I think you did great on this analysis.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Great work @ Cpt. Cpt. , but maybe you should hold that one off until a few days from now.
We decided to limit it to one character a day so that we could focus more and reach a verdict faster.
Ah I see, I can save this somewhere and repost it tomorrow if you want.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Ah I see, I can save this somewhere and repost it tomorrow if you want.
Just come back to this page when it's Ridley's day and quote yourself.
Then we can have a true Ridley discussion.
I think we should give a character 3-5 days to discuss. Seems reasonable IMO.
Also, technically, Fox was based off of the Arwing, soon it's not like his moves came out of nowhere.
3-5 days is a little bit long in my eyes. 1-2 seems about right, but maybe a little longer for Mac since this thread is hot off the presses.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Just come back to this page when it's Ridley's day and quote yourself.
Then we can have a true Ridley discussion.

3-5 days is a little bit long in my eyes. 1-2 seems about right, but maybe a little longer for Mac since this thread is hot off the presses.
Alright will do. If I miss the day somehow make sure to quote it for me.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey guys, maybe we should do themed weeks.
This week's theme is the Elite Four. We discuss the Smashboards elites.
Then we can do say, retro week, where we talk about Takamaru, Mach Rider, Lip, Muddy, and Sable.
Then Melee vet week, where we can talk about how unique the cut Melee vets were, and possible overhauls that they can receive to become unique.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Hey guys, maybe we should do themed weeks.
This week's theme is the Elite Four. We discuss the Smashboards elites.
Then we can do say, retro week, where we talk about Takamaru, Mach Rider, Lip, Muddy, and Sable.
Then Melee vet week, where we can talk about how unique the cut Melee vets were, and possible overhauls that they can receive to become unique.
Hmm.. this does seem like an interesting idea though. We'll see.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
And eventually when we run out of ideas, we can go back to past ideas and review, or just do random characters.
Another week could be unrepped IPs, such as Golden Sun and Xenoblade.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
We should totally plan the whole thing.
There could be a Mario character week, a Kirby character week, and a Metroid week.
Which do you want to start with after elite 4 week, we need a schedule.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
@ Bowserlick Bowserlick

The star mechanic sounds really cool. I hope they add something like that if they put him in. I haven't played one of Little Mac's games, but based on what you said he sounds more like a 7/10 to me on diversity (at least playstyle wise).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom