• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Uniqueness Tier List: Captain Falcon, Robin, Lucina, Shulk, and Meta-Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I suppose I should throw in a few ways Ridley can be unique. While it is true that some characters could possibly have similarities to him, I'll mostly focus on the positives of Ridley's inclusion. Since that's what this thread seems to be going for.

Ridley

Positives:

- Air Based Heavyweight: While we do have Jigglypuff, Peach and Meta-Knight as some air based fighters, they are all lighter weight characters. What Ridley can do is offer a heavier alternative to this playstyle. That alone makes him standout from the rest. It's not often you get to see characters mix and match two different types of playstyle archetypes. I would say that this is the preferred playstyle many had in mind with Ridley, as it fits the character rather well.

- Command Grabs: Ridley has been seen in a few games to snatch his opponents and toss them around in various ways. As seen in games like Super Metroid, Metroid Other M, and even Super Smash Bros Brawl. So it's something that a few fans recognize him for. Not many characters in Smash have command grabs, with Bowser, Ganon, Falcon coming to mind. But Ridley could take this to the next level. Perhaps acting as the grappler of Smash.

- Glass Cannon: Another possible playstyle that Ridley could take advantage of is the "Glass Cannon" playstyle. Ridley, like most villain characters, is seen as a powerful threat. So it would make sense that he'd be a strong fighter. But most of his incarnations show him to be a skinny dragon, with his ribs and other bones still being somewhat visible. So a "scrawny" looking dragon like him might not be able to take a hit all that well. So a "Glass Cannon" playstyle would fit the character visually. Sort of like "He can dish it out, but he can't take it" mentality.

- Killer Keep-away: Smash has no shortage of projectiles and often some characters take liberties to ensure a more unique or perhaps more balanced moveset. What I'm suggesting for this playstyle is that Ridley could use projectiles from his many incarnations if he was made into a heavy Keep-away fighter. His most common form of projectile are fast, bouncing fireballs, not unlike Mario's or Luigi's. I would suggest that these are made weaker, but faster than the Mario Bros. Fireballs. In Metroid Prime, Ridley can shoot a flurry of missiles at his enemy, this could have him shoot a quick burst of missiles, that go after each target on the stage. Again, this should be a weak attack. Also in Metroid Prime, Ridley can unleash a powerful beam of Kinetic Energy straight forward. This attack would be a slow, but devastating finisher. One last projectile I would mention was seen in Metroid Other M. Where Ridley charges up a large Fireball that sets the entire stage ablaze. This would work well as a Final Smash for Ridley. It's powerful, and it's simple to understand.

Negatives:

Heavyweight: It isn't so much that Smash has too many of these, rather that many of them, aren't really good. Ridley most definitely fits into the category of heavyweight, despite his boney figure. So if he were to be included, it's possible that he might have a hard time competing with the rest of the cast, much like Bowser, DK, or Brawl Ganon tend to do.

Fire Breathing Lizard: Both Bowser and Charizard shoot fire from their mouths and are giant, heavy lizards. Ridley could also fit into this category. One issue that comes from this is that Ridley could end up borrowing moves from either of these characters. Which in turn, makes it harder for some to warm up to him. Now, this isn't a garuentee, but it's still something I felt like it needed noting as whether or not Ridley would be unique.

Overall: I'd say that Ridley would be a "A-" in terms of uniqueness.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I think it would be appropriate if his specials were built for air combat, and lagged a lot if used on the ground. Since he's lanky, I could see him over-extending while trying to use a move on the ground, but in the air it would be graceful and quick. No other character has a build that's like his, so I have a hard time imagining him as not unique. I feel like "A" is a fair rank. Sure we have a few flying characters, but I still think Ridley brings something new to the table.
He definitely can bring something new to the table for a "flying" character as he would be the only one who is legitimately able to fly. As I mentioned before in my Ridley uniqueness post (back on page 2), to answer BluePikmin's questions, he should have some sort of ability to stay airborne indefinitely.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Speaking from a purely aesthetic standpoint, Ridley would be one of the most unique characters in the series. Unlike Charizard, who is really built more like Bowser overall, Ridley has incredibly long limbs which would probably cause him to stand/run on all fours, but take a more erect stance when jumping/flying. His mannerisms would overall be quite bestial and ferocious, something only Bowser and maybe Charizard really have displayed up until this point.

One unique "gimmick" I can suggest would be for Ridley to change weight depending on whether he's on the ground or in the air, with a grounded Ridley being the heaviest character (or second after Bowser), and an aerial Ridley being lighter (more along the lines of Ike or someone similar). This would help make him harder to knock around when he's on the ground, where he'd be slower, and it'd balance his horrifying speed and aggressiveness while in the air, giving opponents the chance to fight back.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
I think Ridley could have an excellent grab game and even include some aerial grabs unique to his character. I picture him being really sluggish in the air but with a good vertical recovery. he'd be floaty but really heavy, and he'd be large like Bowser. his tail could serve as a good disjointed hitbox, and that combined with his amazing potential projectile game would make him an excellent spacing character. he'd probably move really fast on the ground and could attack aggressively and rack up a lot of damage, but to counter this, he'd have awful defense because of his size, sluggishness in the air, and poor horizontal recovery. he'd have hardly any options out of shield/shield pressure, so once a character is able to outspace him and poke through his aggressive game, it would be all but over.

so basically, in bullet point format:

-unparalleled grab/grapple game on the ground and in the air
-good spacing with projectiles and disjointed hitbox tail
-really fast, good aggressive game on the ground
-good vertical recovery and maybe a glide, but poor horizontal recovery and sluggish aerial movement
-abysmal defensive game

Thekewlusername was actually able to elaborate more on basically exactly everything I was going to say about Ridley, haha, but I wanted to throw my two cents in anyway.

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
He definitely can bring something new to the table for a "flying" character as he would be the only one who is legitimately able to fly. As I mentioned before in my Ridley uniqueness post (back on page 2), to answer BluePikmin's questions, he should have some sort of ability to stay airborne indefinitely.
I went back and read that post. I really like that idea of flight mode. It could be really fast, but he'd have a hard time turning around maybe? It would fit his fast play style in the air, but keep it from being broken since it would be hard to control.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I think Ridley could have an excellent grab game and even include some aerial grabs unique to his character. I picture him being really sluggish in the air but with a good vertical recovery. he'd be floaty but really heavy, and he'd be large like Bowser. his tail could serve as a good disjointed hitbox, and that combined with his amazing potential projectile game would make him an excellent spacing character. he'd probably move really fast on the ground and could attack aggressively and rack up a lot of damage, but to counter this, he'd have awful defense because of his size, sluggishness in the air, and poor horizontal recovery. he'd have hardly any options out of shield/shield pressure, so once a character is able to outspace him and poke through his aggressive game, it would be all but over.

so basically, in bullet point format:

-unparalleled grab/grapple game on the ground and in the air
-good spacing with projectiles and disjointed hitbox tail
-really fast, good aggressive game on the ground
-good vertical recovery and maybe a glide, but poor horizontal recovery and sluggish aerial movement
-abysmal defensive game

Thekewlusername was actually able to elaborate more on basically exactly everything I was going to say about Ridley, haha, but I wanted to throw my two cents in anyway.
Cool ideas, but I don't agree with Ridley being floaty/sluggish in the air. That is not what Ridley is about. He is an aerial monster.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
Cool ideas, but I don't agree with Ridley being floaty/sluggish in the air. That is not what Ridley is about. He is an aerial monster.
he could have like, a really high jump, and then his down-air would be that tail spike and it'd work like Link's down-air, only he could do it better and consecutively, and it'd really **** up opponents on the ground. he'd have good counter-options in the air, I think. he'd just be really slow. and I think him being floaty would help his recovery, but I can see him being a fast-faller just as well.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think being a fast aerial character makes him a very damn OP character. I think he should be slow, just for balance purposes.

And how do you guys feel about Ridley being big as a character, I think that would make him automatically unique.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
I think being a fast aerial character makes him a very damn OP character. I think he should be slow, just for balance purposes.

And how do you guys feel about Ridley being big as a character, I think that would make him automatically unique.
yeah the reason I suggest that Ridley be floaty and slow in the air was for balance. he could still have good aerial options but it'd be easy to combat them.

also, when you say 'big' do you mean like actual Metroid big? or like big character big?

Cpt.

Smash Lord

One word, "Sonic".

He just needs to be balanced (which is very easy by the way). He is fast in the air and can stay there, the down side is that he isn't super strong like most big characters and/or has less knock back. He is also a loser on the ground more so than Bowser in Brawl.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I don't know, we already have big characters, like Ganondorf. I suppose it would certainly add to his potential uniqueness as that is the predominant reason many don't see him as a practical addition.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Just noting that in terms of uniqueness, Ridley would be the first large-frame non-human character from one of the darker Nintendo series. As of now we have Bowser, DK, Dedede, and Charizard. All large-frame characters, and all from relatively light-hearted series. In a way, Bowser almost filled this role back in Melee when he was all monster roars and scaly and hunched over. Brawl though gave him less intense roars and that goofy dancing taunt, and Smash 4 is his more familiar and less serious style.

Ridley could effectively be what Melee Bowser was, but even greater.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Just noting that in terms of uniqueness, Ridley would be the first large-frame non-human character from one of the darker Nintendo series. As of now we have Bowser, DK, Dedede, and Charizard. All large-frame characters, and all from relatively light-hearted series. In a way, Bowser almost filled this role back in Melee when he was all monster roars and scaly and hunched over. Brawl though gave him less intense roars and that goofy dancing taunt, and Smash 4 is his more familiar and less serious style.

Ridley could effectively be what Melee Bowser was, but even greater.
Much, much greater.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I see you guys were discussing potential sizes so I decided to grab this from the Ridely topic
Edit: Oh the pic was made by Angelglory by the way. Just wanted to make sure credit was given ^^

Anyway In my opinion it would be interesting having a heavy character biased on air combat would be interesting. The only problem that hurts his uniqueness I see is the fact that we already got 2 fire breathing lizards/a hand full of heavy antagonists. Other than that he would make a cool charter so I'd imagine him at least being around a B+ uniqueness wise.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I see you guys were discussing potential sizes so I decided to grab this from the Ridely topic
Edit: Oh the pic was made by Angelglory by the way. Just wanted to make sure credit was given ^^

Anyway In my opinion it would be interesting having a heavy character biased on air combat would be interesting. The only problem that hurts his uniqueness I see is the fact that we already got 2 fire breathing lizards/a hand full of heavy antagonists. Other than that he would make a cool charter so I'd imagine him at least being around a B+ uniqueness wise.
Ridley doesn't really breath fire. He shoots plasma balls from his mouth.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Say how do you give URL links names? I see in Cpt.'s sig that he can link to his Youtube channel with the name YouTube.
I want to link to the days for anyone who wants to look back to a certain character's day, just when Brawler610 links back days in RTCR.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Say how do you give URL links names? I see in Cpt.'s sig that he can link to his Youtube channel with the name YouTube.
I want to link to the days for anyone who wants to look back to a certain character's day, just when Brawler610 links back days in RTCR.
Select it, type over it.
DO NOT MAKE TYPOS OR ELSE YOU MUST DO IT OVER AGAIN.
Backspacing = Death

Last edited:

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan

man... call me crazy, but I think the Ridley from Other M is okay. yeah, I'd rather see a classic interpretation of Ridley, but I don't think I'd be as angry as other people if he looks like he does on the left.

just sayin'. I mean, I'm just a weird dude, so don't take anything I say seriously. I'm just sayin'.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
@ LiteTheIronMan LiteTheIronMan
I wouldn't be mad if we got Other M Ridley.
I mean, Ridley is Ridley (even if it's not actually Ridley).
I mean, look at that dude. Supes Ridley looks all emaciated and stuff. dude needs to eat a cheeseburger or some ****. Other M Ridley looks like he's been pumpin' some iron, yo.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Yeah like Louie G. said you select the word, then you press the link button near where you can post images.

man... call me crazy, but I think the Ridley from Other M is okay. yeah, I'd rather see a classic interpretation of Ridley, but I don't think I'd be as angry as other people if he looks like he does on the left.

just sayin'. I mean, I'm just a weird dude, so don't take anything I say seriously. I'm just sayin'.
I think he looks worse graphically, but has some better physical features like the neck.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
While I don't think Ridley doesn't really offer much new move set wise, he does offer unique stats (example: Despite looking big, he is more of middleweight than anything.)
I'd say B.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
I think he looks worse graphically, but has some better physical features like the neck.
man, but Other M had some weird textures and artifacts. clean up that model for Smash 4 and it'll look pretty great.

unrelated, how long have we been able to tag dudes in posts?

Cpt.

Smash Lord
man, but Other M had some weird textures and artifacts. clean up that model for Smash 4 and it'll look pretty great.

unrelated, how long have we been able to tag dudes in posts?
You just have to add the at symbol right? Hasn't always been up? (well I did join only a few weeks ago).

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Now that we got the big 4 out of the way, who might we analyze next?

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
I forgot to grade Ridley. I'd give him an A+ for uniqueness. because Ridley.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
Haha as much as I'd like to give him that, I don't realistically think he'd be that high. I'm still deciding though. Got plenty of time.
can I change my vote? can I put it at S? S+? SS? SS+? cuz I'd vote higher if I can vote higher, yo.

edit: you must think I'm joking, too.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ridley has the capability to be the first aerially-inclined heavy character. He would be very sluggish and very much a target on the ground, but lightning fast and very deadly in the air.. He would also be the first character to have a flying grab (as in, he can actually fly with someone in tow), as well as the new largest character in the roster. His spear-like tail also gives him the capability for Mewtwo-esque space control and staggering range on his attacks.

Of course, for all of those advantages, Ridley is still very large and likely wouldn't be as heavy as characters like Bowser or DeDeDe since his size is more attributed to his strange proportions rather than his bulk. These two qualities would make him a difficult character to master, but the reward would be tenfold because of his terrific recovery-gimping abilities and amazing air game. He would be a character that would have unreal offensive (and defensive, if we're talking recovery) capabilities in his element, but suffer from various weaknesses outside of it that would ultimately balance the character and make him much harder to use than a simple character like Mario (essentially making him a super-buff and actually-cool Jigglypuff).

Beyond all of that, Ridley is also another character that walks on all-fours, which we have very few of in the roster, and those that do are in the small-kindasmall category. Ridley would be the first large quadruped. He's also the only "big" villain, along with K. Rool, that hasn't been represented yet, despite the fact that Metroid and Donkey Kong are both very large, popular, and profitable franchises, and have been with Nintendo for a very long time while still continuing to churn out great games.

Besides the fact that they're both dragons that breathe fire (or plasma, in Ridley's case), Charizard and Ridley have very little in common.
Here ya'll go. I've been using this a lot since I made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom