• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I heard someone say that because it's religious that the religious should decide upon it, and on the side we can allow gays to have that legal bound if they are chosen to not to be married. That sounds logical at first, but my confusion is... who is deciding this? Why are they deciding this? How can they decide objectively that that is the Biblical truth? Some people are going to say a bunch of things don't apply to our time, but decide one particular piece in Leviticus to apply? And this will be applied to all of them? And like you say, how would gay Christians getting married affect the sanctity of a person who differed on that view with their own marriage and beliefs? One person told me that that's because it'd be insulting for anyone who shares the title Christian that disagrees... Does that come off as pretentious or prideful to anyone else? Unfortunately I wasn't able to convince anyone of the inexplicable bigotry they were applying to themselves, or even get an explanation as to how they would apply it to themselves precisely.

Then I saw one woman claim that homosexuals literally cannot love as well as heterosexuals can, and spoke VERY extensively and passionately about it (I was sent 58 messages in a row about it, in fact), making very insulting, baseless claims about homosexuals.

I'm so sorry homosexuals... seriously... Especially if you believe in the Bible and want to get married and not just have the legal bond, to the religious its more than just a piece of paper. You can be gay and have faith in that God and love that God. And all the time I hear that people shouldn't judge others because only God can judge people. But I almost never see that **** in practice. If it is a sin, let them burn in hell, they'd be going anyhow because they are gay and if you think them getting married is a sin you'd think them BEING gay is a sin, so what is the point of it all?! Bah, shame on me for asking, "Why?" when people make claims on FACEBOOK of all places. In the end I'm a fool too.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I'm pretty sure that the zeitgeist of people who are against gay marriage, believe that simply being gay is wrong as well.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I always found marriage to be an arbitrary practice anyway, merely being a cultural thing that holds no importance on its own. Humans are not like birds, nature doesn't expect us to remain monogamous to who we mate with. If we were, we wouldn't have established the idea of marriage in the first place. Nothing changes when you get married anymore than if you lived with your partner anyway. It's only society that pushes the idea onto us. And people wonder why the divorce rate is high.

Those devout anti-gay marriage people need to just **** off.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Holder, this is what i've learned after 12 years of catholic school (8 of them being in the worst 'christian' environment for impressionable children) and dealing with total idiots

people who claim to be christian cannot follow the basic guidelines of the religion they so fervently preach and "practice"
most of the bible quotes they use are quoted WRONG. Knowing even BASIC theology can tell you that
Plus, the bible that currently exists is a bible that, to put it bluntly, benefited white middle aged men of higher class or religious sects back in the middle ages. We are missing whole sections of what the bible used to be (sadly, women in the bible have been cut down a LOT u__u women in the bible have the BEST stories! Luckily Judith's stories survived u w u Read about her, shes the coolest and has the best Baroque period art painted after her)

The primary pillars of 99% of religions out there is the golden rule - love others as youd love yourself.
AAaaaaaaaaand sadly many "religious people" cannot follow that. It irks me because people are like "PRAISE JESUS" and then hate others and its like "WHAT NO JESUS SAID LOVE PEOPLE STAHP THAT YA GOOFBALL"

Gradeschool teacher was like that. She told my friend who is now openly lesbian that [my friend] was going to hell because of that, because her mom was bi, and because her parents were divorced.
The teacher got a divorce a few years later.

I'm lucky the high school I went to was run by nuns. Nuns back in the day were mean. Nuns now? Hilariously awesome. They taught my theology teachers when they were students at the high school. They seriously preached love and acceptance and that everyone should love and marry because WTF ARE WE DOING?! My high school was the coolest, most liberal catholic school 5ever and i miss it

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
I'm Catholic and I don't care whether my friends are gay, bi, Muslims, Jews, asian, black, hispanic, Buddhists or whatever.

However I do care if they are criminals.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Reading at the very end "5ever" reminded me of that story and made me chuckle, thank you Chrono. XD

Also I looked up Judith and saw several pictures of a guy getting his neck sliced through with a blade by a woman, and other pictures with her holding a head.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Yep. Judith was a bad***

Her village was being invaded, so she decided to seduce the enemy general Holofernes, get him black out drunk, and then slice his head off and bring it back to her village.

The old testament was a weird time for the bible.

Amen to that TheKalmarKing. And even if they are criminals, hate the sin, love the sinner.
Christianity (and most religions in general) are about love

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Funny, of all the times I've heard Bible stories I've never heard anyone mention that one. :laugh: You'd think that at least someone would mention something like that.

And I'll give an amen to hating the sin and not the sinner. It's downright logical. When I'm serious I don't say that I hate people, or even make a general claim as to what they are, like they are "this" or "that". People (in terms of identity) are a collection of memories of stuff, and this stuff gives them attributes (the attributes themselves can be distinct). You hate the attributes, they themselves aren't the attributes, not even all of them combined, they are also a person. It always annoys me when people will go straight up pissy-teenager on others and just hate certain individuals or a type of individual for an attribute (or attributes) they have. It's like putting a veil over your eyes that dyes hatred into everything that person is or even does, because all it takes is the thought, "I hate this person." Like injecting mind blinding poison. That is the one type of hate that burns the bridge between one individual and another. It is also the one hate that can't be explained, for it cannot be done without appealing to ultimately what they are not. Their attributes.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
He has a history of being hypercritical to people on here, but I don't find him to be incapable of being sensible, funny, or friendly. Speaking of Falcon, I haven't seen him around as of late. Granted, he might be elsewhere on the boards, I don't exactly venture into too many places.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Iirc he's been taking a computer break

Morino, thats the worst feeeeel
got one last week
nooooooooooooooooo its awful

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I always found marriage to be an arbitrary practice anyway, merely being a cultural thing that holds no importance on its own. Humans are not like birds, nature doesn't expect us to remain monogamous to who we mate with. If we were, we wouldn't have established the idea of marriage in the first place. Nothing changes when you get married anymore than if you lived with your partner anyway. It's only society that pushes the idea onto us. And people wonder why the divorce rate is high.

Those devout anti-gay marriage people need to just **** off.
Pretty much agree with this. People need to get it through their head that marriage isn't even a commitment anymore, marrying someone does not mean you'll spend the rest of your life with them. As with any other relationship you can just dump(and divorce) the peson once it doesn't work anymore.

I pitted them against each other. But not until I saw them put aside their differences did I see the true power they all share deep inside. I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I finally found my Melee disc yesterday after losing it a few years ago.

It was scratched beyond repair.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Last semester of college, and I'm going to have to take summer classes to be able to graduate, and even then, I might still need *one* course if I can't get an overload. At that point, I don't know what to do, and my college ain't cheap. :(

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
He has a history of being hypercritical to people on here, but I don't find him to be incapable of being sensible, funny, or friendly. Speaking of Falcon, I haven't seen him around as of late. Granted, he might be elsewhere on the boards, I don't exactly venture into too many places.
This forum is borderline dead to me at this point. I think if Teran and I find another place to settle that will be the end of it.

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Edit: My joke no longer makes any sense...It WAS funny, trust me

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
This is a bizarre and annoying glitch. I wont be using these forums until it is fixed.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Been trying to watch the Ghost in the Shell anime, not sure if I can finish the second season. Main character is just so ****ing boring and the **** that happens in this show boggles my mind sometimes.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Much better due to more of a focus on more interesting characters, some kinda eh episodes at parts though and the end was kinda like...wat.

Also what the **** is Motoko wearing. One day she's wearing a uniform the next eh doesn't feel it, she's a strong woman!

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
This is a bizarre and annoying glitch. I wont be using these forums until it is fixed.
April fools

Omg GitS <3 Motoko is one of my favorite anime protagonists u w u She's awesome

I'm currently in monday morning programming for games
I have a serious issue with this because this is not an april fools day thing...its real life.
MONDAY. 8am. PROGRAMMING.
AT ART SCHOOL.

I am not pleased. Theories of personalities makes up for that later tho

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I have a job interview today and I don't like any of the work shirts I have to wear under my suit. The ones I usually use are in storage.

I also miss being in the same country as my close friends. If it were yesterday I would have texted them one of them this instead of posting about it here.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Much better due to more of a focus on more interesting characters, some kinda eh episodes at parts though and the end was kinda like...wat.

Also what the **** is Motoko wearing. One day she's wearing a uniform the next eh doesn't feel it, she's a strong woman!
Did you watch the movie that comes before the series?

Is the movie canon?

If it is, she's actually the combination of 2 people or something so she probably does have some things messed up in her head

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I've read that the movies and the show are pretty much completely separate universes. I'm still willing to give the movies a try cuz I've heard they're pretty different.

The anime devotes entire episodes to what is essentially meaningless filler sometimes, and even then I enjoy those more than anything focusing on Ms.I HAVE NO PERSONALITY I'M TOUGH/DRESS LIKE A HOOKER. I actually can't think of a single real flaw she has shown in the anime, if there was one it certainly wasn't a very important one, she's essentially looked at as being flawless.

Oh **** it is April, gee I am behind on some things.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Nothing changes when you get married anymore than if you lived with your partner anyway. It's only society that pushes the idea onto us. And people wonder why the divorce rate is high.
That is so untrue I don't even know where to begin.

I have 4 Aunts/Uncles move in with their partner before getting married years later, and ALL OF THEM have said that it never felt real until after they got married. They were happy, but they weren't content. They felt like something was missing. They all wished they had gotten married sooner. They don't know why, but they never felt truly together until afterwards.

The divorce rate is high because society has confused love with lust. The lust and physical appearances blind people to who the person really is, and by the time the physical attraction wears off, they realize they don't like how the person really is. If a couple truly loved each other, they would want to sort out their differences and make their marriage work, not just "break up with extra paper work".

Back to the original topic, according to the Bible, sex is a mark of union and is only meant to be done after marriage. If done before marriage, it is called fornication, and is heavily condemned multiple times throughout the Bible, being on the same level of sin as ****, adultury and other immoralities.

Based on that alone, the religious people should want LGBTs to get married because it is WRONG to have sex before marriage... which is what ends up happening because of the laws that prevent them from getting married. If they believe LGBT marriage is wrong, which is worse? Sex before marriage, or a same sex married couple? At this point , you have to pick the "lesser of two evils".

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
That is so untrue I don't even know where to begin.

The divorce rate is high because society has confused love with lust. The lust and physical appearances blind people to who the person really is, and by the time the physical attraction wears off, they realize they don't like how the person really is. If a couple truly loved each other, they would want to sort out their differences and make their marriage work, not just "break up with extra paper work".
My father is a perfect example of another kind of divorce: the "Get really stupid and bad" syndrome. He's perpetually depressed, never happy, and he's taking so much meds his brain's probably going to implode someday. My mother did try to make things better, but it amounted to nothing in the end. Now he's just impulsive, overly irritated by any comment and constantly sad and angry for no particuliar reason. Yay.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
White Mage assumes sins are broken down into tier lists

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Did I just walk in on White Mage telling us that sex before marriage is a sin AND stating an opinion as if it were fact?

I sure hope no one actually engages the guy who has said things like LOL THE ILLUMINATI WERE BEHIND MASS SHOOTINGS.

Anyway, while swinging by the blog in which White Mage actually says that, I then finally realized the damage the terrible new site set up has done. You finally did it, you killed user blogs you mother****ers. Now there's this disgusting separate thing called BLOGS.

WHAT IS A BLOGS.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
White Mage assumes sins are broken down into tier lists
That's a pretty common and old belief to my understanding.

Anyways, to say that the reason for divorce is lust is a bit of an exaggeration, yeah? To say that is to say that the downfall of all relationships is lust, which we all know isn't true. Divorce rates are high because humans go from relationship to relationship constantly for an assortment of reasons.

And I can never understand people thinking divorce rates are high. I think the marriage success rate is VERY high. ~50% of marriages work? When you consider how many relationships the average person goes through in their lives... that's pretty damn good. Then again, it is also bad in the sense that sometimes a marriage means two people who would normally have left each other in the future might end up suffering each other instead because of the stigma around divorce and the inflated importance of what marriage is. Although, even the religious these days have no qualms with divorce because they understand that "marriage" is much less eternal devotion but rather a cultural concept that we grow up seeing a lot (with some legal stuff). The very feeling of not being "truly happy" without marriage is merely an aspect of inflating its purpose because of culture or a religious belief.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
While actions in society have varying levels of severity, sins don't. They are ALL treated as acts against God.

It's not like someone steps in front of the pearly gates, and greats a man with a clip board tallying up your sins

The whole "Lesser of two evils" attitude is self destructive

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
While actions in society have varying levels of severity, sins don't. They are ALL treated as acts against God.

It's not like someone steps in front of the pearly gates, and greats a man with a clip board tallying up your sins

The whole "Lesser of two evils" attitude is self destructive
No, there are mortal sins, eternal sins, venial sins, blah blah blah. There are the Deadly Sins, with Pride generally considered the original and the worst. I don't profess to know all of the examples or understand each one, and I'm not saying what everyone thinks, I'm just saying, the belief that there are different kinds of sin is definitely a thing and has been for a long time.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No, there are mortal sins, eternal sins, venial sins, blah blah blah. There are the Deadly Sins, with Pride generally considered the original and the worst. I don't profess to know all of the examples or understand each one, and I'm not saying what everyone thinks, I'm just saying, the belief that there are different kinds of sin is definitely a thing and has been for a long time.
Is that some Catholic thing or something?

Top Bottom