• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Jigglypuff Compendium aka Mahou Man Sam's Stuff About Puff

Rockenos

Smash Apprentice
FIRST! Some important links!
Alex's Puff Stuff: consistently updated blog relating to Jigglypuff tech
Jigglypuff Frame Data by Stratocaster, Standardtoaster, SuperDoodleMan and Massive
The Jigglypuff R&D Facebook Group
Really good Magic the Gathering article about mindsets and a concept called "Bruce". I've already posted some commentary on this before.
There is also a Jigglypuff Skype group! Add me on Skype (Rockenos) and ask for an invite!

Use Control+F to search for what you’re looking for!

Table of Contents

· Introduction 1.0

· Moves 2.0

· General Strategy 3.0

· Stages 4.0

· Character Matchups 5.0

· Doubles! 6.0

· Frame Data 7.0

· Videos 8.0

· Conclusion 9.0

Introduction 1.0

Hello Puff players, this is Mahou Man Sam, and I'm undertaking a pretty big project. I want to create the one-stop Jigglypuff guide for players of all skill levels.
"But Sam! There's already plenty of Puff guides!"
Yes, indeed, but many of these are outdated and all of them are incomplete in some way. I'm going to attempt to have this organized and complete, with links to other guides and really have all the known information about Jigglypuff compiled.

Note: This is a living document for the time being. It's going to take me a long time to fully compile all of this information, but input and suggestions are welcome.

Moves 2.0

Rollout: B (12(6?)-18%)
I am unsure if this move’s lowest damage value is 6 or 12. In my attempts, I could only get it to do 12% damage as the lowest value, but the Smash Bros Wiki says the range is 6-18. The Wiki is more likely to be right than I am here, but 6 seems awfully low. Hopefully a data-junkie will step in and educate us at some point.
Rollout is a chargeable move that causes Jigglypuff to spin at high speeds and launch herself across the surface of a stage upon release of the B button. Holding down the B button increases the strength and roll distance over time. After coming into contact with an opponent, Jigglypuff will bounce into the air and enter a special state in which she is unable to act, similar to the helpless state. This move can sweetspot the edge, however I do not believe there is a situation in which that is optimal. I suppose it can sometimes be used to scare an opponent.
Hungrybox has recently been using it on the grass transformation of Pokemon Stadium against Foxes to positive effect.
There is a lot of confusion about the benefit of using this move on a grassy surface. Allow me to clear this all up. Jigglypuff does not gain any speed when moving along a grassy surface while in Rollout. She does, however, gain the ability to change directions much more quickly than she normally does for some reason. This has been illustrated with Yoshi by aMSa here and is also applicable to Jigglypuff. The only legal stage this works on is the grass transformation of Pokemon Stadium. It also works on Yoshi's Island (pipes stage).
This move does give Jigglypuff the ability to move very quickly across a great distance, which she does not have otherwise. This can certainly be helpful versus Fox in very narrow situations to close the gap between the two characters.

Sing: B + Up
Jigglypuff sings, putting any grounded opponent near her to sleep. This move takes nearly three full seconds to complete, and is very easily punishable. Sing has no left/right animation and therefore can grab the ledge from any orientation. Sing can be used to sweetspot the ledge when coming from below to avoid certain attacks that would otherwise catch Puff’s fat jump. It’s a fairly niche option, however, as most moves people will use that cover the ledge will also cover this.

Rest: B + Down (28%)
Jigglypuff’s coolest, sexiest, awesomeist, adjectiveist move.
Jigglypuff goes to sleep, dealing massive damage and knockback to any character within its hitbox the frame after its input. Jigglypuff then sits asleep and unable to act for just over four seconds. Jigglypuff is invincible during frames 1-26 of this move.
This move is the centerpiece of Jigglypuff’s punish game, capable of killing opponents from very early percents on nearly every legal stage. Many of Jigglypuffs moves combo into this against different characters, however I will go into further detail about this in the character matchup section. This move is also the primary reason why Puff’s matchups tend to be fairly polarized; her ability to Rest her opponent or lack thereof is actually a fairly simple way to determine how favorable the matchup is for her. This is obviously an oversimplification, but again, this will be detailed later.

Pound: B + Forward (13%)
Oh look it’s that dumb move Sam used to throw out 24/7 and get beat up for.
Puff shoves her way through the air, causing a lot of hitstun and decent damage. Pound can be angled either upwards or downwards. It’s a great move for recovery, and should be used after every jump when it’s not punishable (something you’ll just have to learn from playing) angled upwards to gain you valuable height. There are niche situations in which it should be forgone even when not punishable; when getting back to the stage faster is more important than getting back safely. Pound can also be used as a mixup on stage, as the windup, while slow (12 frames), can actually be fairly hard to react to if your opponent does not expect it. Hopefully my Dazzle will magically work again soon so I can post a video of some applications of this.

Jab: A (3%)
Puff smacks her lowly foe across the face, a recurring concept in the Jigglypuff moveset. This move is primarily used to force a slow getup from an opponent who missed their tech. After jabbing a missed tech, Puff can dash forward and jump to rest their opponent, often resulting in a kill. S0ft has talked about applications of this move in the neutral game. It can be used to mess up a space animal who spams techskill and lead to a grab. It's very situational, but considering Puff's neutral versus Fox is nearly entirely devoid of viable options, it's certainly something to keep in mind.

Jab, Second Hit: A, A (3%)
A face smack. Then another. You usually don't want this, but if you jabbed them and they shielded it, you might as well throw it out and pray for a shield poke. After that, you probably grab them no matter what. Sounds risky though, stay away from this move. Interesting tidbit in case you were unaware: the first hit of jab does not stale the second hit.

Headbutt: Up Smash (14-19%)
Jigglypuff brings her head over her body very quickly, sending opponents up. This attack is often used to kill floaty opponents, and is easily combo'd from an l-canceled dair against most characters. You can drill in neutral vs Marth at high percent and upsmash him, sometimes even if he's shielding. This works super well because Marths will typically try to play very grounded against Puff. It's also great for similar reasons in the ditto and versus Peach. It can sometimes even be used versus other characters, because at higher percents it will put you in a favorable position even when it doesn't kill, and can lead to back air or some other followup. Dis move real gud anyway next move

Sexy Split: Down Smash (12-16%)
Jigglypuff kicks downwards on both sides simultaneously. This move's fairly fast too, but the hitbox is in a fairly niche position. It can be fun to kill Falcon or some other characters with this by sitting on the edge and using it, but you should probably just grab the ledge. I'm sure this move has some undiscovered potential, as it isn't used much, hits on frame 9, and gives her legs invincibility on frames 9 and 10. I'm sure I'll be updating this section very soon.

Doctor Robotnik: Forward Smash (17-23%)
Jiggs thrusts her entire body forward, allowing her foot to lead her to glory. Everyone who's played against Puff enough has learned to fear the randy f-smash. This is typically your strongest kill move outside of Rest.
Less than affectionately called the "Doctor Robotnik" by my dumb friends, random-seeming f-smashes have always been a part of every strong Puff player's game. Catching unaware spacies with this move in neutral is an art form. Of course, you can always just charge it up and let it go after a jab reset.

Rest Inc: Up Tilt (9%)
A kick that hits behind and above Jigglypuff. Pretty much every character in the game can be Rested after being hit by this move. It can be fairly difficult to get on Marth though (He'll try to jump out and it's fairly tight at most percents). The main drawback of this move is that it's really hard to land in neutral because of where the hitbox is and you simply don't have ways to uptilt some characters. For example, there's really no reason a Sheik should ever get uptilted by a Puff. It'll still happen sometimes, but Sheik really doesn't wanna be in that range of Puff and should definitely be making adjustments if she's getting hit by it. Uptilt is also awful against shields. Upair can sometimes combo into it, and vice versa. It can also shield poke fairly well, making it a solid tool in your tomahawk game.

Low Kick: Down Tilt (10%)
This is the part of the guide where someone links me to Bulbapedia and points out that Jigglypuff cannot actually learn Low Kick. Jigglypuff ducks and kicks a little in front of her. This move is kinda fast and certainly has potential, but it lasts a super long time (38 frames) and isn't used much in the current metagame. Perhaps this will change some day.

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku: Forward Tilt (10%)
Yooooooooooo this move is legit. It's cute af, can go mid, high or low (usually high), and only takes 27 frames, which is a reasonable amount. This is another of Puff's moves that has untapped potential. It's sometimes used in similar situations as when I recommended Jab in neutral, but very rarely. Pretty much every time I do this on accident, things work out okay so I pretend I did it on purpose. Some day, I won't be pretending.

Olé!: Dash Attack (12%)
A running headbutt! This move comes out super fast (hitbox on frame 4)!! It's a great move all around, really. You can use it in neutral as a mixup to punish them not shielding when you run at them. You can use it to techchase when you don't think your grab will get there. You can use it to punish wavedashes. At high percents, this will knock opponents into very unfavorable situations, made even more unfavorable by how difficult the move is to reactively DI. Puffs should really use this move more.

The Sex Kick: Neutral Air (8-12%)
This move has low knockback the longer it stays out and higher knockback at the beginning. It's fast, coming out at frame 6, and can be auto-canceled from a full jump or a short hop. The applications of comboing this move into Rest have not been fully explored, but here's a quick clip of an interesting way to use it. This move can sometimes be combo'd into forward smash if your opponent DI's it incorrectly. This move is also pretty much always good in neutral. Spam this **** and be in awe of your glorious aerial mobility. Drift in and out with it! It's also great for recovering! Use this move against Marth in particular (but in some situations against every character) when you're coming down from above to cover some of Marth's options to hinder you. This move is an all around fantastic tool.

The Anime Girl: Up Air (11%)
Definitely looks like Puff is striking some kind of anime pose. Haruhi definitely stole her moves from Jigglypuff. Up air is great for comboing and juggling midair opponents. It also is Jigglypuff's primary tech-chasing tool (on platform). This move has strong knockback and can certainly be used to kill floaty characters off the top. It makes some matchups absurdly difficult for your opponent. For example, Luigi and Marth both cannot challenge your upair if they're above you. Your spacing has to be perfect though, so be sure to practice hitting with the topmost part of the hitbox!

Or Wait is This the Tatsu?: Down Air (1-11%)
Spin to win, baby! Puff's down air rules! It also kinda sucks! This move is a mediocre neutral tool that can result in huge punishes. What I mean by that is, it's very difficult to land on opponents as it is very blatantly telegraphed, but the reward is high. Dair is also difficult to l-cancel, because the timing has lots of variations. Your l-cancel timing depends on a lot of variables, so teaching yourself to l-cancel this move reactively is an important skill. L-canceling is stupid! L-canceling on reaction is stupider! The world continues to turn. Anyways, after landing a dair on a grounded opponent, you can usually get either a grab or an upsmash (just go for whichever is more likely to kill). Dair can also be used offstage to edgeguard, but it is nearly always not correct.

Drop Kick: Forward Air (12%)
I actually really like using this move even though it's kinda butt. Your back air is much better, but this move is awesome for off-stage shenanigans. The light hit is great for tapping spacies out of their upB's, and it's also a solid move to spam while regrabbing ledge. On the stage, this move is pretty much just what you use when you want to back air but are facing your opponent for some reason. Maybe Falco is drowning you in lasers. Maybe you're just bad. Either way, you're forward airing, and it's probably not going great for you. Rise above. Turn around and bair.

The "Everyone to Ever Play Jigglypuff Ever" Special: Back Air (idk the percent yet)
Forgot to do this. No, seriously. I'll write a detailed analysis later, but for now, just know that this is your bread and butter. Back air is probably your best move, and is pretty much the only reason you win many of the matchups you do.

Forward Throw: (12%)
This is your most damaging throw. That's actually surprisingly relevant for when you grab a character upon whom you do not get throw followups. Upthrow is usually better because it puts your opponent into an unfavorable position, but in the ditto and against Peach, this throw will be your go-to when backthrow won't get them offstage. This move can also be kinda hard to DI if you do it right away, so throwing your opponent forward and then jumping after them with something can sometimes be good.

Back Throw: (10%)
This is your throw with the most knockback. Chuck people offstage and enjoy your free edgeguard! Also, one thing I've noticed is... ugh this is gonna be hard to explain, I'm gonna have to make a video at some point. Basically, if you're standing on the right portion of FD (That is, somewhere between the middle and the right ledge, where using backthrow will not send your opponent offstage), and you backthrow a Fox or Falco, they'll almost always techroll inwards. You can then regrab them and upthrow. This also applies to the left side, I'm not sure why I made that distinction earlier but I don't feel like editing it. Sorry! But yeah backthrow is great, and just keep in mind that even if it won't throw them off, you can often tech-chase from it.

Down Throw: (8%)
This is my go-to throw against Sheik. It's great to use in the middle of Battlefield on the bottom of the stage, as it forces Sheik to DI to a platform, giving you a tech-chase opportunity. You can Rest nearly every top tier out of this if they DI this throw incorrectly. This works on Falco, Fox, Sheik and Falcon, and probably works on other characters as well. That said, it's absurdly easy to DI, as you have tons of time to react to it. An interesting thing I've seen Hungrybox do is down throw on the ledge facing offstage against Fox/Falco. They're forced to either DI offstage into a ledgeguard or be Rested, and because it's such an unorthodox move, they will sometimes get confused and DI onto the stage, giving you the free kill. Because forward throw doesn't have very much knockback, I think this is a pretty cool mixup. Still, forward throw can be somewhat difficult to react to, as I said earlier, so if you think they'll hold down for whatever reason, maybe that's still what you should opt for. Cool stuff anyways!

Up Throw: (11%)
The bane of ****ters everywhere. Technically the bane of good players too, but come on, why are you getting grabbed by Puff? Up throw, double jump, Rest. I wonder if the number of times I've input that is in the thousands or tens of thousands. Anyways, if your opponent isn't a simian and can DI, you still get good times usually. On FD, I believe you can always get an upair after upthrow on Fox/Falco regardless of how well they DI. It's difficult with perfect DI though; you have to dash immediately and then do a shorthop upair. From there, you can usually get the Rest (or uptilt Rest). On a stage with platforms, you force a techchase opportunity. Please always cover roll in! People will do it more often than you think, and that's a free Rest no matter where you used upthrow from. The only time you don't get a follow up is when you're here and your opponent DI's perfectly to the right (or left in the mirrored version of this) and techs away. Up throw is also good against lighter characters (particularly Marth and Luigi) who have a difficult time when they're above you. This can lead to upair juggling and a free neutral win for a practiced Puff.

Spot Dodge:
Well, you're invulnerable on the same frame as your forward roll, and you're actionable before your forward roll would be finished... So I guess this probably has a use? I dunno man, I'll ask the Puff group about this. I'm sure there's some idiot move you can spot dodge to Rest.

Forward Roll/Backwards Roll:
Jigglypuff's forward roll is almost always better than her backwards roll. Obviously not enough that it'd be worth it to roll in the wrong direction, just keep it in mind though. Check the frame data for specifics. Puff's roll is not that bad, and is often a good choice when you're getting shield pressured by a spacie. It definitely also has applications in doubles, as the confusion can make it more difficult to punish. This is still a roll, of course, so stay away.

Air Dodge:
Jigglypuff's airdoge is sooooooooooooooooooo good! I honestly don't know all of it's applications; it is just such a versatile and amazing move. You're invincible for a decent amount of time, and you have tons of air mobility while using it. It can be great for crossing people up and escaping from situations that Puff's normally air mobility cannot handle. I would be greatly surprised is some real tech comes about involving this within the next year and becomes a staple of Puff's play. For the time being, we'll just have to wait. Oh, also, you can use the air mobility to run to the ledge and refresh jumps and invincibility, it's surprisingly difficult for your opponent to challenge.

General Strategy 3.0

Stages 4.0

-Battlefield
This stage is pretty neutral in all of Puff's matchups. I like it a lot, as other characters will sometimes fall victim to its notorious ledges. Puff, however, has no such issues. That, combined with the fairly neutral platform heights and blast zones, make this a fine stage. There are certainly some matchups where it's not entirely preferable (for example, Falcon is probably more comfortable with you here than you are), but with the remainder of the current stagelist being so lackluster, there is little that can be done about it. You will typically strike to here, although lately I haven't been striking here versus Foxes, as they've been willing to fight me on Dreamland. I'm unsure whether Yoshi's, Dreamland or Battlefield is the best starting stage versus Fox (They'll ban Fountain), but I believe it depends on the way the player your facing plays. Fox varies in play style greatly, so it's possible you could play against a very campy Fox and not want to fight on Dreamland. You might not take a super aggressive Fox to Yoshi's because of the close blast zones. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of Yoshi's in the matchup, as the disadvantages are hardly made up for by the fact that your upthrow+Rest can kill at 0 on either side of the stage regardless of DI. So I suppose that means we take campy Foxes to Battlefield for game 1.

-Final Destination
This stage suckkkkssss! It sucks! Butt tier bull**** horse ****ery of a stage. This stage is pretty much bad for you in every matchup, but I think it could be considered neutral versus Falcon and Peach. Final D inherently forces neutral interaction by being devoid of platforms to which you can escape. Puff is definitely not favored in this head-to-head fighting style, as she does not have a very strong neutral in most matchups. I don't really feel the need to go into each matchup and explain why it's bad, as it's essentially the same for all of them. "X character has much better tools than you and will run away and use them. It's still doable here, but you have to trick them into giving you center stage or letting you get in on them". This stage becomes slightly better against spacies who can't DI upthrow I guess. Otherwise please don't go here.

-Dreamland
Puff's signature stage, popularized by Mang0 and Hbox. This stage is pretty great, but the fact that it's so big kinda sucks when your opponent's objective is to run away from you. That said, I think you really want the platforms, so it's certainly better than FD, and the far away blast zones tend to favor you more than nearly any other character in the game. I would not recommend taking Peach here, as she'll live even longer than you do, and there's no reason to give her extra percent to work with when you should just be beating her up and killing her at 60-80%. You probably also shouldn't take campy Foxes here if you think you're going to get ultra laser camped, but I haven't given up on this stage yet in that respect. I think it's possible for Puff to keep up with Fox on this stage, but only time will tell whether or not I'm right. For now, follow your heart man.

-Fountain of Dreams
Yay! I will take anyone here. Lots of characters have grown to feel comfortable here, as a few characters have a tough time here so it can be a strong counterpick (namely versus Falcons, but as I understand, they've been getting new tech to make this stage work for them). I don't care though! Peach can downsmash on platforms real well? Who cares? Puff's not gonna be anywhere near that area in this matchup! Marth can't kill you hear as early as Yoshi's, but it's possible Battlefield could be a better choice versus him, as I believe the blast zones are more favorable. The occasional lack of platforms can sometimes be a huge advantage for you though, as Marth has to adjust his grab-punish game based on whether or not there are platforms on a dime, while you just get to upthrow him far away and get upair followups regardless of whether or not the platforms are there to help. This stage is sex. Backthrow people offstage and drink their tears.

-Yoshi's Story
Tied with Final D for our worst neutral stage. While there aren't any major flaws that stand out and make us unviable here, a lot of small things come together to give us a hard time. Firstly, the blastzones suck. They're very close to the stage, so everyone will die earlier. Since our recovery is unparalleled, this is negative for us, and mitigates a fairly large advantage Puff normally has. Randall (the cloud), while predictable if you know the timer, will mess up edgeguards occasionally. They can usually be salvaged, but simply put, the chance of Randall assisting Puff in recovering approaches 0%, while the chances of him assisting any other top tier are much higher. Peach is probably very rarely helped by Randall as well, so I suppose we'll have her as an exception. The only other notable features of this stage are the slanted ends of the stage near the ledge, which can be used to duck under lasers sometimes, and the Shy Guys, which do dumb stuff sometimes and are unhelpful. I guess maybe you can use dumb Melee's dumb physics to dumb extend a dumb Rest through a dumb shyguy to hit your dumb opponent, but I think that's a fairly dumb line of play. Anyways, since the blast zones are so close, gimping Fox can be a bit easier here. His UpB is so big that there are actually times on this stage where he'll die off the side where on other stages he'd still be able to make it back. That character... that character's real good. Too summarize, you can take a campy Fox, a Peach, or perhaps a Sheik here, depending on how they play (although I wouldn't really want to fight sheik here. In fact just don't do it. Unless it's like a Best of 5 and it's this or FD or some ****). "But Falcun dusnt hav spaec to run awae!" Yeah. But he also kills you at 40. Your choice man. Same deal with Doc and Icies. You... You don't wanna know how early Icies' upsmash kills here...

-Pokemon Stadium
why

-Kongo Jungle 64
This is a great counterpick for Puff in doubles. It was also used fairly frequently as a counterpick for us in singles back when it was legal. I typically play doubles with a Peach main, and our primary strat is to rely on people forgetting this is still legal in doubles usually and then counterpicking them here and controlling the middle area.

-Green Greens
When was the last time you played on Green Greens? Probably longer ago than it should be. Green Greens is actually an awesome stage with lots of crazy stuff going for it. While obviously not viable in tournament, it can actually be an extremely fun stage for singles and doubles as long as no one tries to be ultra degenerate and camp super hard. Jigglypuff is probably not great here, as she's not great at getting to the Apples super quickly, but she has the benefit of accusing her opponent of camping if they run away too much. This drastically improves your Fox and Falco matchups, and gimps can be quickly acquired through tricky gap play. The side blast zones are awfully close to the stage, so forward smashes and your horizontal throws will kill much earlier.

Character Matchups 5.0

"i was a sheltered child
i didn't know the world was so cruel
that falco's lasers were just business as usual"
-SDR Troubleshooter

Doubles! 6.0

Frame Data 7.0

Pretty much everything that needs to be said about this has been said before. This is an amazing thread.
That said, I kind of have my own input for this section. On my phone, I have a list of frame data that I believe is worthy of memorization. Not all of it is explicitly necessary, and there are certainly things that aren't listed here that could be useful to know. I believe this information is relevant enough to include here, and I believe that any Jigglypuff who puts in the effort to memorize this information will see improvement as a player.

Uptilt hits on frame 8
Dash attack hits on frame 4
Upsmash hits on frame 7
Dsmash hits on frame 9, her legs are invincible on frames 9 and 10.
Nair- total 49. Hit: 6-28. Auto cancel: <5, >29 Lcanceled: 10
Uair- total 39. Hit: 9-12. IASA: 38. Auto cancel: <8, >37 Lcaneled: 10
Bair- total 39. Hit: 9-12. IASA: 31. Auto cancel: <8, >25 Lcanceled: 10
Dair- total 49. Hit: 5-27, with gaps. Auto cancel: <4, >39 Lcanceled: 15
Fair- total 39. Hit: 7-22. IASA: 35. Auto cancel: <6, >34 Lcanceled: 10
Forward roll becomes invulnerable two frames earlier than back roll (but loses invulnerability one frame earlier.)
Rest- 1-26 invincible frames. 249 frames total.

Interesting tidbit from Sheridan: "Jigglypuff has a 5 frame jumpsquat and 10 frame lag from WD. 15 frames.
However, she only has 14 frames of lag from simply letting go of shield (only Peach and Zelda also have this little lag).
So while you can't space when you drop your shield, it is actually faster than WD out of shield, and has the added bonus that you don't have to do 2 frame-perfect inputs to minimize the lag; in practice dropping shield could be 2-4 frames faster."
A couple potential applications of this: Drop shield->dash attack is a fairly fast OOS option. If Marth poorly spaces a forward smash on your shield, you may be able to drop shield and forward smash it if you don't want to Rest for whatever reason.

Videos 8.0

Here's a ****ty, unedited video of me discussing general Jigglypuff theory. Mostly about how Jigglypuff cannot play truly "optimally" and be successful.

Conclusion 9.0

Thanks to RPK aka Pink for the formatting of my moves list.
Thanks to S0ft and Hungrybox for all the advice and information they've given me over the years.

Taking a break for now, will edit soon.

Last edited:

Rockenos

Smash Apprentice
I have no idea if there's still a size cap on text posts so I'll reserve this just in case

Rockenos

Smash Apprentice
You didn't mention Back air at all.
Wow... I actually forgot LOL
So much work and school now that Summer's over, I haven't really had time to add to the guide. I'll be on it again soon though now that the craziness has settled down a bit.

Top Bottom