• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The True Flame of Bowser - BACK ON!!

KishSquared

Smash Master
The Flame of Bowser has been lost to time. However, in its wake lies none other than the TRUE FLAME OF BOWSER.

July 14th, 2012
River Valley Church
55855 Bittersweet Road
Mishawaka, IN 46545

Schedule:
10am Venue opens, good times begin!
11am P:M Doubles
2pm P:M Singles
5pm Melee Singles
7pm P:M Crews??? Or Melee Doubles, depending on interest
10pm Cleanup and out!

Entry Fees:
Venue: $3 (waived if you bring a setup)
P:M/Melee Singles: $5
Doubles: $5 per person
Crews: Free!

Payout:
1st place: 60%
2nd place: 30%
3rd place: 10%

Ruleset (thanks to Sethlon for giving me a base for this, totally without his knowledge!):

1. 4 Stocks
2. 8 Minute Time Limit
3. Items set to “Off” and “None”
4. Buffer set to OFF
5. Dave’s ORIGINAL Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage already played upon unless agreed upon by both players.
6. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament with no refund. (seriously, it's awesome that my short-hop mod is banned even though it was never actually made)
7. In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by:
a. Whoever has more remaining stock left.
b. If stocks of both players are the same, the winner will then be determined by whoever has less percent.
c. If the match ends with both players dying at the same time or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, an identical rematch of the previous match will be played out. Same characters and same stage.
8. Sets will be best out of 3 games. Loser's Finals, Winner's Finals, and Grand Finals will be best out of 5.

Addendum for Doubles
1. Team Attack set to “On”
2. Life stealing is allowed. (Note that lifestealing in Project: M is done by pressing A+B, rather than start)
3. In the event of a game going to time, the winner will be determined by:
a. Whichever team has more remaining stock.
b. If both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
Character/Stage Selection Process
1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans two stages.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Singles Stagelist:
STARTERS:
Battlefield
Dreamland
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Yoshi's Story (Melee)

COUNTER-PICK:
Metal Cavern
Pictochat
Skyworld
WarioWare, inc.
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Dracula's Castle
Hyrule Castle
Skyloft
Green Hill Zone
Kongo Jungle 64
Halberd
Port Town Aero Dive

BANNED:
Everything Else

Doubles Stagelist: Same as singles, but Skyloft banned due to lag issues.

Melee Rules: FC rules in effect!

***STAGELIST NOT SET IN STONE!!!***
Feel free to debate stages, as P:M tournaments are really just getting going.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
<3 the Kishes

I would recommend banning Skyloft in teams, it unfortunately lags with four people on screen at once.

KishSquared

Smash Master
So is P:M shunned in the Midwest!? :)

If anyone is interested but needs Melee to come, post and let me know. I'd really love to host a P:M-focused tournament, but I can add other events if that means people will actually come.

:phone:

KishSquared

Smash Master
Admittedly, I was thinking more about the Chicago/Indy/Detroit areas :)

I might as well officially cancel this, looks like no one in the area wants to travel for P:M. Makes me sad, but what can you do? If anyone wants to do a P:M Smashfest sometime, please PM me!

Tink

Smash Hero
im very surprised this got nooo interest....alot of chicago ppl really like projectM ://.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
We're still very open to running a smashfest in town if people want to come in.

Myself, I'll be coming to Chi-town this weekend.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Stay tuned... I'm suddenly finding that there is indeed interest. It's late in the game but if I can locate a venue, I'll still host it. The 5 people that show up will have a load of fun.

And yes, we'll add Melee in because Prime insists people want that.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Okay, based on popular demand... (tries hard not to notice the 13 posts in the thread, 6 of which are mine...) I guess we're back! I'm locking down the venue tomorrow and will post any changes to the above schedule.

We'll add Melee in and just use FC rules for that. We'll start with singles and do a doubles tournament if we have enough time/buy-in.

Anyone who comes, please bring a Wii/Brawl! And preferably an SD card with P:M loaded on it. TVs would be good too, but I have quite a few for FC that we can borrow.

jeffgordon24

Smash Rookie
Oh man I wish I would have seen this sooner I would have expressed my interest in coming, I've been dying to play some Smash but lack people I know to play. I can count on my hand the number of Project M matches I've played but it plays enough like Melee that it should be straightforward to learn.

KishSquared

Smash Master
We'll have Melee! P:M is the focus of this tournament, but Melee will follow.

Venue finalization to come on Monday - I couldn't break away from work to get over there and do it yesterday :(

KishPrime

BRoomer
Jeff's also going to change the date to the 14th to try and pull in some more people from Chicago. Looking good! We've got some outside-the-boards interest as well.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Okay, yes, I'm changing the date to avoid conflict with the Chicago biweekly. Also, it seems like there are a plethora of other tournaments in the area on the 7th, just in case that was throttling interest.

July 14th, we'll have plenty of room for whoever wants to come. Lot of time for friendlies, both in Melee and Project M. Hope to see someone there!

Rat

Smash Lord
I'll talk about it at the next bi-weekly. See if people are interested in coming. Cause i like that P:M. Who's the competition though.

KishPrime

BRoomer
I didn't even play the character I've played the most in PM (Zelda), screwed around with Pit in bracket, and still took 7th last weekend. And I've basically got single-digit wins all-time over Squared with any of my characters. So Squared is your competition. :p

We might get some Fort Wayne guys up as well.

KishSquared

Smash Master
I'm excited to know it will be more than me and Prime, duking it out in the combined RR/losers/winners/semis/finals. Though that would be eternally epic.

I'm looking forward to seeing what P:M looks like on a competitive level. I've yet to see it in person.

Everyone - bring your friends! As a special bonus, if you bring two or more friends, KishPrime will sign your controller.

KishPrime

BRoomer
But only if you bring two or more friends.

And only if the controller is generic-brand. No elitist Nintendo-brand controllers for my signature.

ORLY

Smash Master
sveet, rat, and i were talking about carpooling to this

but we haven't spoken about it yet

would we maybe be able to get housing if we wanted to stick around for the night and party with the kishes?

Tink

Smash Hero
yo...i should be righttt on the way for you guys coming, so u should round out your car with me in it! lmk

ORLY

Smash Master
this is unrelated to tink posting about a ride, but i forgot that i have a bachelor party to go to that day

.. completely forgot.

KishSquared

Smash Master
So... which one wins? :)

I unfortunately can't provide housing. I'm of the 'three kids under 5' type of household, so would be a tad too much chaos for me. For future events, this might be an option if I can land a babysitter.

The good news is we'll have lots of time to party. Church is open from 10-10, which should afford plenty of time for Smash shenanigans. I doubt the tournament will go much past 7-8, so friendlies can abound thereafter.

Hoping to see lots of people Saturday. But 'lots', I definitely mean more than 5 :)

ORLY

Smash Master
the bachelor party is going to have to win for me, unfortunately

and man you kishes are so cray

kids and marriage and still loving on smash

shoutouts to the kish wives

KishSquared

Smash Master
Important information!

Please park on the north side of the church and enter into Door F, which faces the east (toward the street).

Also, my cell number is 574-485-3056. Call or text as needed!

:phone:

KishSquared

Smash Master
Okay, results! I'm not sure there's a point in making a dedicated results thread, unless I have to? I don't know how rules work anymore.

Turnout was low due to a great number of last-minute cancellations, but it was good times had by all! Many thanks to the guys who traveled into town for this. I'll plan to host another one in September, this time with more people!

P:M Singles
KishSquared :bowserbrawl:
LanceinthePants :dkbrawl:
Tak :foxbrawl: :falconbrawl:
Pedro :mariobrawl: :sheikbrawl: :dededebrawl:
X :foxbrawl: :falcobrawl:
Cory :falconbrawl:

P:M Doubles
KishSquared and Pedro
Franky and Cory
X and IronSquid

Melee Singles