• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The True Arena - Kirby Match-Up/Stage Discussion (Discussing: Villager!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
At 4:27 you weren't spaced properly. Yes your f-air was out but it wasn't hitting him and fair doesn't have a hit-box above you which is why you didn't trade with Falcon's up-tilt. Same for 5:53 with b-air.

So yeah, you whiffed both aerials which is why you got hit. :(
Oh, that's bad. I guess it's a bad idea risking a trade or just interupting the up-tilt. My issue in that match was just ignoring Final Cutter almost completely. Even then, I have a feeling that the up-tilt is low enough to hit below the ledge before Kirby can snap to it.

raizur

Smash Cadet
NNID
raizur
3DS FC
4425-1652-3596
While watching the videos, I might as well show the following moments from when I got meteor smashed by Captain Falcon's up-tilt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=031bvRYEPMk at 4:27 and 5:53. Clearly my f-air and b-air were active in their respective time frames. Or maybe Captain Falcon just hit from above and the moves weren't high enough to protect and/or the fact that practically all of Kirby's aerials have lower priority than his up-tilt.
What Gova said. Also, I'm pretty sure if you used a final cutter at 4:27, it's would've connected with Captain Falcon, becasue it has more range than the Falcon's up tilt. Also, I've noticed you didn't do a ledge trump to back air with Kirby in the video. Die to Captains Falcon's recovery, it's easy to tell how he will recover, take advantage of this and time the ledge trump to get yourself a back air, and possibly a stock off of him.

raizur

Smash Cadet
NNID
raizur
3DS FC
4425-1652-3596
While watching the videos, I might as well show the following moments from when I got meteor smashed by Captain Falcon's up-tilt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=031bvRYEPMk at 4:27 and 5:53. Clearly my f-air and b-air were active in their respective time frames. Or maybe Captain Falcon just hit from above and the moves weren't high enough to protect and/or the fact that practically all of Kirby's aerials have lower priority than his up-tilt.
What Gova said. Also, I'm pretty sure if you used a final cutter at 4:27, it's would've connected with Captain Falcon, becasue it has more range than the Falcon's up tilt. Also, I've noticed you didn't do a ledge trump to back air with Kirby in the video. Die to Captains Falcon's recovery, it's easy to tell how he will recover, take advantage of this and time the ledge trump to get yourself a back air, and possibly a stock off of him.

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
So just in case some of you are unaware... Kirby is basically the same, since there wasn't a major change in balancing across the roster. But it could give Kirby a better time, like Diddy Kong. His up-air and f-air were significantly nerfed in knockback, making him less threatening. That should be a better matchup for Kirby than previously.

The only thing to look for is Mewtwo. So far, he's an astoundingly solid character. Nice combo game, outranges Kirby, up-throw and back-throw easily KO Kirby, etc. This may be Mewtwo's advantage in the MU, but not too terribly bad, right?

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
Isn't a quicker inhale confirmed for this update? If so, does that improve matchups for kirby that are aided by Kirby getting an inhale (like Pikachu)? On that note: can some characters still get free punishes on inhale now?

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Yes, Inhale can be acted out quicker, I heard. Also, Kirby's down-throw does 10% instead of 6%. Honestly, I don't know if it improves his MUs against certain characters.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
So I have finally read through all of this thread... I did take notes on most of the discussion to summarize it, but kind of gave up near the end of the thread. I don't think I will continue doing that as it just makes reading the thread and discussing much more obnoxious...

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I think this MU is fairly close, simply because villager is easy as hell to combo, and a simple inhale (especially with the new update) you can counter his strategies.

Ponytail

Smash Rookie
I think this MU is fairly close, simply because villager is easy as hell to combo, and a simple inhale (especially with the new update) you can counter his strategies.
If you believe that, then I imagine the match-up would be more in Kirby's favor because Pocket, ironically, is a great weapon to be used against villager simply due to the sheer number of things that can be pocketed.

Personally, I can't guarantee an inhale on Villager ever. I find the Villager match-up very challenging although that mostly has to do with not facing him much.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
If you believe that, then I imagine the match-up would be more in Kirby's favor because Pocket, ironically, is a great weapon to be used against villager simply due to the sheer number of things that can be pocketed.

Personally, I can't guarantee an inhale on Villager ever. I find the Villager match-up very challenging although that mostly has to do with not facing him much.
Inhale beside the ledge, it blocks all options except for jump II'm pretty sure. Also, a lot of villagers like to use a gyro and run in behind it for pressure, you could get an inhale by pocketing the gyro and inhaling shorthopping to avoid the gyro and inhaling, so you covered all of their options that they were trying to cover you with.

Last edited:

Nilloce

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nilloce
3DS FC
3668-8417-8470
Inhale beside the ledge, it blocks all options except for jump II'm pretty sure. Also, a lot of villagers like to use a gyro and run in behind it for pressure, you could get an inhale by pocketing the gyro and inhaling.
How would you pocket a gyro... and then inhale?

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I honestly don't see how Kirby really loses to Mewtwo(I'm taking this from what I have experienced online, I know it's not the best way to determine a MU but I'm mostly explaining what I know, but it's been a bit since I faced a M2 so I may not be accurate)
He may outrange us, but he is a large target and he can't really camp us so approaching him isn't going to be that difficult. He does have some laggy moves that we can punish fairly easily and he is very light himself(how light? Someone said he was lighter then Rosa, but someone else said he was 2nd lightest.) Anyways, his tilits seem good no doubt, but that don't always save him if you can learn the pattern. Getting his Copy ability helps because if how Early it KOs( man is that move strong)But he has a reflector so it does mean we need to be careful and try and fake him out.
I cannot continue much more because of school.

His ariels are fast(his back Ariel KOs now?) and have the great range, but their hit boxes seem..... Weird, his Uair can't hit grounded opponents if I'm correct.

School is starting, gotta go

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
His ariels are fast(his back Ariel KOs now?) and have the great range, but their hit boxes seem..... Weird, his Uair can't hit grounded opponents if I'm correct.
Mewtwo's air game is pretty good, but man, his Bair's hitboxes are weird. Playing in FG yesterday and when a Mewtwo tried to gimp me I jumped above him and bair still hit me.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Villager relies mostly on using projectiles (Namely Lloid Rocket, Fair and Bair), which can make approaching as Kirby even harder, however, Kirby can inhale Villager and gain his Pocket ability, which makes all of his projectiles less useful agaisn't you, and pocketing the tree can be lethal (Not 100% sure about this, but i heard it can kill Villager at any percent), despite this, Villager still retains his pocketing, which can allow him to pocket after you use what you pocketed, and since Lloid rocket can be used even if you have one pocketed, Villlager can re-pocket a Lloid, and re-use it along with another Lloid, although, you can quickly pocket one of the Lloids and dodge Villager's followup if he had planned one (I.E. an aerial or a dash).
Aside from using pocket, pretty much Kirby is a bit better than Villager on "hand-to-hand" combat (No projectiles), as Villager's only strong aerials are his Uair and Dair, but only if it's 3 turnips, and Kirby doens't require any luck with aerials, aswell as how Kirby can follow up with any most of his aerials after landing (Such as Dair into a jab), while Villager can't, due to high ending lag, Kirby is also better when it comes to grabs, despite Villager having larger range, it has a lot of ending lag if it misses, the pummel is really slow, and most of his throws are really weak, and lack any followups (Sometimes they can follow up to Bair or Fair, but really rarely on Kirby), while Kirby, depsite having lower range, has a faster ending lag, a relaly quick pummel (Allowing atleast 1 or 2 pummels and a throw at low percentages) and really strong throws, and has a few followups to them (Fthrow into Fair, Bthrow into Bair, and Uthrow to Fair)
MI'd say it's 60:40 or 65:35 in Kirby's favour, i haven't really played agasin't many Villagers, so i might have exagerated some stuff.
What in your opinion is Kirby's best option against villagers who space with fairs bairs and nairs? I think I'm a relatively decent Kirby plater but I feel like I can't get in on Villager aerialy and have to rely on powershielding to grabs most of the time.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
What in your opinion is Kirby's best option against villagers who space with fairs bairs and nairs? I think I'm a relatively decent Kirby plater but I feel like I can't get in on Villager aerialy and have to rely on powershielding to grabs most of the time.
I find those moves hard to land on small characters so I would think ducking helps greatly

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Alright, first step to starting the Kirby boards up. This MU thread will be locked, a new one will be made. New MU ratios will be made because :4megaman: is 50:50 @Locke 06. Also, Asdioh ain't gonna own it anymore because he's worse than me at updating it, didn't think that was possible. GET OFF MH4U, JEEZ.

Bye, horrible MU ratios!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom