• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Controllers

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1477]The Top 5 Controllers[/drupal]

Where would games be without controllers? Nowhere, that's where. We'd probably be restricted to arcades, where a pocket of quarters would be lost in about twenty minuets. So I started tot think about controllers, what what were the best.

5: Nintendo 64 Controller:

At first glance, the N64 controller leads to reactions along the lines of "WTF!?" Regardless of how odd it looks, it turned out to be a really good controller. Although I'll admit that the directional buttons were hardly ever used, and the analog stick kind of felt stiff at times, it was still a great an inventive controller.

4: The Wiimote and Numchuck:

It really isn't the controller that's bad, it's the crazy crap that developers try and make it do. The wiimote and numchuck are fairly good controllers if you leave it to just simple shacking and such. My only complains are how the 1 and 2 buttons are way the hell out of reach, meaning that nothing too useful can ever be mapped to them. And not to mention that the speaker is ****. But even though it has these flaws, it's still a fairly good controller.

3: Xbox 360 Wireless Controller

I may give the 360 a lot of crap, but I don't hate it. I actually really like it's controller. It's lightweight, wireless, and has a really good layout. My only complains are the that the left and right bumpers feel like you have to press them harder than you have to, and that it eats through batteries faster than a Gameboy color.

2: The Gamecube controller:

Another odd looking controller from Nintendo, but like the other ones it works. It fits really comfortably in your hands, and while the whole "big A button tiny B button" thing looks kind of weird at first, it works because it's hard to get them confused. And... wow, now that I think about it I don't have any complains about something in my life. I feel.... strange.

1: The Playstation 2 Duelshock 2

this is my favorite out of all of the controllers ever made. First off, it's a little bigger than the previous model, so it's easier on the hands. The buttons feel great and well placed, the control sticks feel really good and not stiff. And... well, I can't think of anything I don't like about the Dualshock 2.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Sony controllers are not that awesome. I never got really along with them. My opinion, tho. GameCube forever.

finalark

SNORLAX
Sony controllers are not that awesome. I never got really along with them. My opinion, tho. GameCube forever.
I'd have to say that DS2 was the only one I'd consider worthwhile. DS1 was way to small and the control sticks were somewhat stiff, and the DS3 has really weird shoulder buttons and feels like I'm going to break it at any minuet.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Yeah the Gamecube's the better of those controllers in my hand, at least. The PS3 controllers are pretty comfy too. Xbox controller, lightweight? I wouldn't use that word to describe it really. And do the mouse and keyboard count? Maybe they're not number one in comfyness, but they do their job mighty well.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Dual Shock 2 felt awkward in my hands. Seriously I had to have them shaking to shake out the awkwardness.

The Game Cube, fits perfectly. The buttons are the right size, showing their priority.

Xbox 360 controller. Its okay. Some what okay for FPS's

Wiimote and Nunchuck. I reach the 1/2 buttons with my palm. Also the thing is wonderful in FPS's as I get a **** ton of satisfaction from a Head Shot.

N64 controller: 10 years and still working like a charm.

D

Deleted member

Everyone underestimates the awesome simplicity of old joystick controllers. It's a joystick with a button on it, who needs all of the fancy buttons on these newfangled controllers.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I can confidently say the worst controller I've ever used in my life is a standard PS2 controller (actually the PS3 one is even worse, but it's not much worse). Is that a Dualshock 2 or is that some other model? Either way, it's just awful. Here are my criticisms:

1. The Dpad is ridiculously awful. It has sharp triangular corners in the middle! This controller literally gives me blisters if I try to play with the dpad; I can't imagine what complete moron at Sony thought this was even close to usable. Even the super stiff NES dpad was something that took a few hours to really make your thumb sore on the edges; on a PS2 dpad my thumb gets sore in under 30 minutes. I really can't stress enough how horrible this is; I'd rather play a game on the microscopic Gamecube dpad than this piece of garbage.

2. The left stick and the dpad need to be reversed. You have to stretch your thumb to use the primary input for most 3d games (the majority of games on a modern console).

3. The sticks are awful. Sony actually managed to make a worse stick than the N64; it's incredible. Here's the problem with it. Don't press anything and just give the controller a good shake. If you are playing a fighting game and your controller isn't perfect, you should see your character jump. In other words, the sticks are WAY too sensitive, and precision gaming is radically harder with them than with literally any other control sticks. Honestly, I think the c-stick on Gamecube controllers might be about as good, and it was never designed to be used for anything important. Also, any input that is not an input all the way is ridiculous on them; it might as well be digital. As a last problem with them, they don't have any grip on them; it makes them a real joy to use with sweaty hands.

4. The shoulder buttons allow your fingers to "roll" off. Notice how L/R on the Gamecube controller have raised sides? Notice how the Xbox360 controller has those funky L2 and R2 buttons? The reason is that when you press them quickly, it's natural to push your finger back slightly on the controller. On every multi-shoulder button controller made by someone other than Sony, there's something to resist that. On the PS2 controller, it's sloped downward to make it easier to do.

5. Start and Select are terrible. They use the same "squishy" start and select buttons that the NES and SNES did. These are really bad if you want to hit them quickly at all, and they give really unsatisfying feedback when hit.

6. The face buttons don't "click". They aren't completely terrible, but I find the feedback from hitting them pretty subpar.

7. The face buttons have stupid names. It makes them obnoxious to refer to, and it leads to the really ridiculous "X and circle are sometimes switched around in terms of which is confirm and which is back".

8. The controller has a light on it that doesn't turn off eventually. That means, if I want to leave the console on in a room I intend to sleep in, I need to unplug the controller or cover it up. It's obnoxious, and it serves no real purpose. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but it is a minor inconvenience that no other controller puts me though.

I don't understand how anyone likes it; notice I had a complaint with literally every button on the controller. When used with games they are designed for, I can easily say the SNES, N64, Gamecube, Xbox360, Genesis, Dreamcast, Wii Remote, Wii Remote + Nunchuck, and Classic Controllers are all better. Heck, other than an extreme lack of buttons, even the rigid rectangular NES controller is better (and then you have the pretty cool NES2 controller). Then you have handheld gaming systems; I'm quite confident in saying all the Nintendo made ones work better as controllers. I haven't had the probable misfortune of getting to experience PSP styled controls, but knowing Sony, it may compete with the PS2 controller for being awful (just looking at the stick makes my finger sore).

Anyway, as per best, the best controller for 2D gaming is definitely the classic controller (with the second model coming out soon looking even better), and for 3D gaming, it's a toss up between the Gamecube controller and the Xbox360 controller.

Alleran

Smash Rookie
Standard X-Box Controller-

Sega Dreamcast Controller-

Nintendo Virtual Boy Controller-

This game's winner is.............X-BAWKS! "I fight for my friends."

Mumble

Smash Apprentice
Standard X-Box Controller-

Sega Dreamcast Controller-

Nintendo Virtual Boy Controller-

This game's winner is.............X-BAWKS! "I fight for my friends."
Haha I forgot how ridiculously ridiculous the size of the original xbox controller was :ohwell:

SNES and Gamecube are where its at.
:)

SyOn

Smash Journeyman
What's with all the Dual Shock 2 hate? D: I think it's the best controller by far, with the SNES controller a close second and the GC controller a far third.

Mumble

Smash Apprentice
What's with all the Dual Shock 2 hate? D: I think it's the best controller by far, with the SNES controller a close second and the GC controller a far third.
No clue, never played with a dualshock 2 so I wouldn't know. :(
Whats good about it?

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I liked the design and the way the hand fit around the N64 controller, but I just hate how terrible the analog stick is.

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
I dont know what a dual shock controller is, but in my experience Play Station controllers are the worst design Ive used (much worse than Xbox original) if only because the controller is too small. This causes problems because the way i have to hold it makes it nearly impossible to push buttons face buttons and shouder buttons at the same time. Im sure that PS owners are used to this and have a way around this (like not growing up j/k), but this doesnt change the simple matter of how bad the controller is designed.

I was also going to mention what Amazing Ampharos did his second point but hes already done so :p

Im not saying that dual shock is a bad controller, but simply that I suspect it is, because I have yet to see one thats actually different from the Play Station style of controller.

PS My Favourite controllers would be either Gamecube or Xbox (small) controller. I havnt used a 360 controller unfortunately but I think its probably got some improvement over the Xbox small in controller design.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
N64- The stick seems to mess up easily, then wiggles around by itself.

X-box, I don`t have one, but It looks like two fat potatoes

Dualshock 2- The buttons are a little hard to press.
Anyone that has an urge to smash these controllers when
they lose, the handles bite you back

Gamecube- I lik the gamecube, but the R/L buttons are a little hard to press,
and the Z button is tiny.

Wiimote/nunchuck-I like it except how the 1 and 2 buttons are far from reach.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
The Dualshock 2 is my favourite controller, then either the 6 button Mega Drive controller or Master System standard controller.
The DS2's D-pad is a bit awkward, but not for their functions, just the fact that they are shaped weird (i.e when the arrow is pointing down that is the up button, and the arrow pointing left is the right button). They also don't last that long, as I've probably gone through at least 6 of them in 7 years. But it's mainly the analog stick that goes wonky, and I blame DBZ Budokai 2's ridiculously implemented yet lulzy spin the analog sticks like a lunatic to kill your opponents.

The Wii+Nunchuck combo is good because it allows a lot of freedom, and it prevents hand cramps (unless your game is forcing you to flail your arms).

I never liked the XBox pad, it was always too bulky.
If the GC controller's shoulder buttons were better, then that would be one of my favourites- it's just that the L and R button can be fiddly, and the Z button is a very stiff button, although the DSlite's start and select buttons win the most hard to press button hands down XD.

And I hate my keyboard at this moment in time.....

Top Bottom