• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The things you don't get in life.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Of course politicians are supposed to be for the people, so there really shouldn't have to be that many requirements other than an incentive to do what's right.
I never understood why they keep looking out for themselves and go "**** the country"...

That kinda defeats the purpose...

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Well they're selfish and self preserving :p :laugh:
I couldn't agree more... :)

Shame, isn't it? :(

Ryan Ludovic said:
I disagree, I feel that obama has done many things that are corrupt, and unfair. Look up preventive detention on google.
So why is almost everyone hailing Obama like a god? BUSH was corrupt. Glad they finally came to their senses and started hating his ***. Late, but still about time!

Ryan Ludovic said:
my opinion on why is that the government is corrupt, and only accepts those who are corrupt.
LOL

UberMario

Smash Master
Because the media hails him as such, it's ridiculous and it's CLEARY getting to the current President's head. He's done WAY to many interviews and not enough work.

Bush wasn't that bad. Not the best, but not the worst.

President Obama has caused our country to go into more debt than we ever had. What used to be only about 10-100 million debt before his inauguration is now at nearly 2 trillion.

Now getting off to something non-political, does anyone think that the major sports leagues are tearing themselves apart as of the past few years? Most notably racing?

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Bush wasn't that bad. Not the best, but not the worst.

President Obama has caused our country to go into more debt than we ever had. What used to be only about 10-100 million debt before his inauguration is now at nearly 2 trillion.
What on earth are you talking about?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero

UberMario

Smash Master
Woops, my bad, but Obama's still spiking the debt even higher then it was to begin with, and that chart doesn't show that much of this year.

(No matter WHAT party it is, bailouts never work, it's just a waste of money. Economies can go back up [eventually] on their own, it's happened countless times in civilization)

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
[Stupidly spent] Bailout money, it didn't come out of nowhere.
Woops, my bad, but Obama's still spiking the debt even higher then it was to begin with, and that chart doesn't show that much of this year.

(No matter WHAT party it is, bailouts never work, it's just a waste of money. Economies can go back up [eventually] on their own, it's happened countless times in civilization)
I knew what you were talking about, I meant your numbers, like Crashic pointed out.

Obama assumed the presidency near the end of fiscal year 2009. In the first couple months of fiscal year 2008, it was $157 billion (http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/88xx/doc8878/12-2007-MBR.htm). In the first quarter of fiscal year 2009, it had jumped to $485 billion (http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/99xx/doc9959/01-2009-MBR.htm). If you have to blame a president for the trend, Obama's not the right one; he wasn't even in office. Lack of a bailout, whether right or wrong, would not have reversed the trend that was already taking place.

Moreover, the CBO already predicted (in January 2009, before Obama took office) that that federal deficit would continue to increase until sometime around 2010 (http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/99xx/doc9958/01-08-Outlook_Testimony.pdf)

If you want to look at the national debt, it was about $5.6 trillion in 2001, about $11 trillion at the very beginning of 2009, and is currently about $12 trillion. Take from that what you will.

Moreover, whether or not the bailout was right or not, or whether it was properly executed, is a little more complicated than "economies go back up on their own in all civilizations". I think you should leave budget stuff to economists.

UberMario

Smash Master
Very well, but everything has ebb and flow.

Another thing I don't understand is why do most people hate math (not referring to any of the recent posts whatsoever) so much?

starmatrix

Smash Cadet

Another thing I don't understand is why do most people hate math (not referring to any of the recent posts whatsoever) so much?
Sometimes people hate things because they can't understand or do them, math is no exception. Most of us are forced to take it in school, and thus can cause frustration, lower grade average etc.

I don't get dreams. Honestly, some can be so random. :dizzy:

BBQTV

Smash Master
you doing your own thing everythings fine then you have some stupid class you dont give a **** about and have to take

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I don't get why some people don't say thank you when you hold the door for them.

UberMario

Smash Master
Same reason people cuss at you when they enter a road without obeying the stop sign, they're idiots.

(Anyone feel like answering my other questions two pages back?)

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
What I was saying was that most people can look at a Tuna or a Minnow or an Anchovie and say "It's a FISH!".
Even though they aren't related, society lumps them all under "fish" instead of viewing them seperately.

But if you see a rabbit do you say "hey look, it's a MAMMAL!"? Of course not.
Took me a moment to understand what you were saying.

If you were at sea, and you saw a particular fish, would you always call it by it's specific name?

UberMario

Smash Master
If I could tell what it was, then probably yes.

I can understand when you do not see them well (such as when you're in a boat and looking over the side), but when they're in tanks right next to you (like in aquariums and fish tanks) the differences can be obvious, such as the difference between a baracuda and a swordfish, or a gourami and a tetra.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
And are you aware that part of that flow is the direct result of government (specifically the Feds) involvement? The feds decision to print more money and raise and lower interest rates directly effects the economic flow, from inflation, deflation, recession and growth, without the Fed, the ebb and flow that economist now see as natural wouldn't be there. Its the whole reason we don't have the big 'bubble burst' that was the Great Depression. That's the whole role of the Fed, to keep the bubble from popping to big from the market growing bigger than it can handle. Because of about 20 to 30 years of good times, mass deregulation was practiced starting with the Clinton era, and we took it too far, and now that's the system we are in.

Smash Master
If I could tell what it was, then probably yes.

I can understand when you do not see them well (such as when you're in a boat and looking over the side), but when they're in tanks right next to you (like in aquariums and fish tanks) the differences can be obvious, such as the difference between a baracuda and a swordfish, or a gourami and a tetra.
Fish look similar. Mammals don't. It takes more education to be able to distinguish different fish than it does to distinguish different mammals. The costs of this distinction typically outweigh the benefits. One notable exception is in food. There, it is more beneficial to distinguish between different types of fish because they taste different, so we do so.

In your example, I can imagine most people would say something like "Shark" and "Swordfish" because that's a pretty easy distinction. I've never heard of a gourami or a tetra.

As far as the math thing goes, I love math, even though I'm horrible at it. I think the basic idea is that math doesn't allow for creativity, and the Arts don't allow for logic. Left brained people will therefore prefer math, and right brained people will prefer art.

BBQTV

Smash Master
math doesn't allow for creativity, and the Arts don't allow for logic. Left brained people will therefore prefer math, and right brained people will prefer art.
yep this right here

Snail

Smash Lord
The reason I personally dislike maths is because everyone's forced to take them, regardless of whether we're planning to use them or not. I've known for years that I would never study maths, physics or anything of the sort, yet they continue to force algebra up my throat like there's no tomorrow. It makes no sense - why can people drop stuff like history yet everyone is forced to take maths?

BBQTV

Smash Master
you doing your own thing everythings fine then you have some stupid class you dont give a **** about and have to take
The reason I personally dislike maths is because everyone's forced to take them, regardless of whether we're planning to use them or not. I've known for years that I would never study maths, physics or anything of the sort, yet they continue to force algebra up my throat like there's no tomorrow. It makes no sense - why can people drop stuff like history yet everyone is forced to take maths?
i know how you feel

Omis

my friends were skinny
The reason you dont know the names of fish is because there a lot more of them than mammals and you see mammals a lot more often and are thusly a lot more likely to know what their names are.

UberMario

Smash Master
Well, I know them lol.

@starmatrix:

I find that [my] dreams relate to something that has occured recently, reinterpreted wildly.

On a more useful note, whenever I have a nightmare, I wake up with my head off the bed or one of my arms or legs asleep, so I guess nightmares are for preventing circulation issues. (At least for me)

BBQTV

Smash Master
whenever i have a dream sometimes in my dreams its hard to move when im running sometimes

Smash Master
You realize the math people are required to take language arts, right?

Personally, I find that the ability to say complex things in simple terms is better than the ability to say simple things in complex terms. Math > Language.

BBQTV

Smash Master
Yeah I have the exact same feeling. You know you can run faster, but for some reason you can't..
yeah this right here. im a C.C/track guy so i know what i can do but in a dreams i run like ****

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Seriously, why are there dreams that seem to "give you want you want/fulfill a wish"? And why are those specifically so... REALISTIC LOOKING with few distortions?

Why do we dream anyway?

UberMario

Smash Master
To give us a reason to sleep.

I'd imagine people wouldn't find going to bed nearly as entertaining without it.
(I know what you're going to say [to no one in general] DO NOT say it)

starmatrix

Smash Cadet
To give us a reason to sleep.

I'd imagine people wouldn't find going to bed nearly as entertaining without it.
(I know what you're going to say [to no one in general] DO NOT say it)
Lol I never thought that dreaming was a reason for me to sleep, usually I sleep because I'm tired. :)

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Seriously, why are there dreams that seem to "give you want you want/fulfill a wish"? And why are those specifically so... REALISTIC LOOKING with few distortions?

Why do we dream anyway?
There are various different theories of why we dream. One theory is Freud's 'repression' theory. Which is that dreams are the time where we can act out our deepest desires without the Over-I or I interfering. A defense mechanism that protects us from becoming crazed or overly depressed.

Then there is the Activation Synthesis theory which states that the pons generates random neural activity, and while the frontal cortex tries to make sense of it all, it can only do some much as mentally constructing.

The Housekeeping hypothesis is that dreams act as a eraser to contitive happening of the day.

Rosaland Curturight believed that dreaming is a way to deal with our problems in a very introspective way. The dreams are representations of various situations that may have troubled us. By dreaming, we can place ourselves how we truly feel of a particular situation.

Gestalt psychologist believe that dreams are reconstructions of events linked to emotions. Every object is a representitve of the dreamer. This would mean that dreams are a way to symbolize our emotions, actions, troubles, and feelings.
~~~~

I don't get why people play golf.

UberMario

Smash Master
A defense mechanism that protects us from becoming crazed or overly depressed.
LOL The first time I read this line I was under the impression that dreams make you become insane and unstable.

About Golf: Neither do I, it's fun still

About MK: It's not like I didn't see that coming, DeDeDe was a shoe in, and Rick has only been in two games (he's still awesome though). Meta has been in more games than any other antagonist other than DeDeDe.

Top Bottom