• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The things you consider when picking a main

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
I think this deserves a new topic, and I am doing it. I've been thinking on the things I consider when I select and keep with a main character.

These are the things:

1. The love for the character
2. The fighting style
3. The "comfortable factor"
4. Power (to feel strong and competitive with the character).
5. Versatility and usefulness of special moves (including final smash)
6. Looks
7. The popularity (and cheapness) of the character vs being unique and fair

Sometimes, one of this points leads to the other, but it is not a must.
If you think there are other major factors that can be listed, post it!

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
Your post has no context. As it stands, this thread is about picking a main for casual play because you never bothered listing anything worth a **** for competitiveness.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
In order:

1: How good am I with the character?
-No point using a character you suck with, even if he's god tier.

2: How good is the character? (speed, power, KO moves, comboability, etc. that help determine tiers)
-Even better if the character you're good with is god tier.

3: Do I like the character?
-Even if the character is good, I might not like him, and would use him less frequently. I'm not a big fan of Peach, for instance, even though she was good in Melee.

4: How popular or cheap is the character?
-Not that I don't ues them, but I somehow feel bad about my favorite main (as I try to have at least three that I own with) being ridiculously gifted. For instance, I mained Doc. Mario in Melee, but I was also good with Marth, I just didn't like using him as much.

Also, Toon Link, Pit, and Olimar shall be my mains, I think. All three are very good, I like the characters, and I know how to use them fairly well (it's still too early to claim divinity).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I tend to look for a character that has quick smash attacks or balanced stats. Mario and Sonic have the averagely fast smash attacks, which I end up using frequently.

Fire52388

Smash Cadet
I think this deserves a new topic, and I am doing it. I've been thinking on the things I consider when you select and keep with a main character.

These are the things:

2. The fighting style
6. Looks

Sometimes, one of this points leads to the other, but it is not a must.
If you think there are other major factors that can be listed, post it!
I agree with 1-5 for sure. I have to admit, I do place a very small amount of emphasis on their natural play level (there are no tiers yet). For instance, if I happened to like ROB I would probably end up picking another character after being frustrated by lack of wins. I guess what it comes down to is I like to play a character that I can come in first or second pretty consistently when playing with friends. Other characters that I can't do this with I will usually throw in every now and then to fool around.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
These are the things:

2. The fighting style
6. Looks
1. I never really played a Sonic game before, I mean I have but not to an extreme amount. I think he is okay, but have never been a rabid fan. I really don't consider this, because I like Yoshi in Mario Kart, and he is probably my favorite Mario character, yet I despise him more then anything in any Smash game.

2. Yes, I suppose I like Sonic's fighting style, because he almost always has control over the match, and damages in a hit and run fashion.

3. I guess...

4. Literally speaking, Sonic is very weak, but I do feel competitive with him.

5. I only sort of like Sonic's B moves, since three of them are similar looking, but they get the job done, and play differently so it is all good. I usually play with items off, but his final smash is fine.

6. He looks fine, but that had no influence on maining him.

Luz

Smash Apprentice
A big focus for me is picking someone who isn't going to be super mained, like 'zomg everyone is Ike'. Of course, when you have your main as Zamus, you can bet that #6 is the main focus XD

But I'm choosing Snake because he looks like he has the most potential. Plus, I love Metal Gear Solid.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
1-Fun factor
2-Winning possibilities
3-Style and look

Im usually playing now as Poke trainer..... even when marth is still my main,,, i try my best to not play him , he doesnt fill anymore the first step.... i find marth BORING as hell in Brawl.... in comparison with his versatile melee counterpart.

Poke trainer is not as destructive as marth but is like 1000 times funnier.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I go by who is my favorite video game character in genereal, followed by awsomeness(not how "good " the character is) then how much I enjoy playing him/her, but the last one can also be the first reason/interchangeable.

Maku

Smash Apprentice
It's all about the fighting style and quickness of the character that matters too me.
that's why I choose Marth...

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
Your post has no context. As it stands, this thread is about picking a main for casual play because you never bothered listing anything worth a **** for competitiveness.
YOUR post has no context. So you are those kind of players that just consider POWER, which I listed.

My "casual" play as you say is always competitive. Everyone gives the best to win. So get the F...ck out of here, arrogant elitist.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
In order:

1: How good am I with the character?
-No point using a character you suck with, even if he's god tier.

2: How good is the character? (speed, power, KO moves, comboability, etc. that help determine tiers)
-Even better if the character you're good with is god tier.

3: Do I like the character?
-Even if the character is good, I might not like him, and would use him less frequently. I'm not a big fan of Peach, for instance, even though she was good in Melee.

4: How popular or cheap is the character?
-Not that I don't ues them, but I somehow feel bad about my favorite main (as I try to have at least three that I own with) being ridiculously gifted. For instance, I mained Doc. Mario in Melee, but I was also good with Marth, I just didn't like using him as much.

Also, Toon Link, Pit, and Olimar shall be my mains, I think. All three are very good, I like the characters, and I know how to use them fairly well (it's still too early to claim divinity).
Your 4th point is interesting. I thought of it, but I didn't know how to list it. In fact, I gave up fox, and sheik on Melee, because they were too popular and cheap. I will edit the original based on this.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Guys quit being moderator wannabes posting about repeat threads etc...

its annoying

Im still looking for my main and trying to choose between sonic fox and ike. I tend to think what matters more is how good you are with the character, not how good the character is.

I have to admit though my use of sonic is mostly because i think sonic is cool, because im not very good with him

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
To simplify what's been said, I chose who I like and with whom I play well. Turns out Ike, Snake, and Yoshi are pretty up there for me.

I used to use speed characters but now it's all about power!

Frown

poekmon
Strangely enough, I only go for characters with bright colours and childish looks, such as:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Wario
Ice Climbers
R.O.B.
Kirby
Dedede
C. Olimar
Pikachu
Pokémon Trainer
Lucario
Jigglypuff
Mr. Game and Watch

And the ones I don't like:

Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Samus
Pit
Meta Knight
Fox
Falco
WOLF
Marth
Ike
Snake
And Sonic. Everybody is hyped about Sonic. That's why I'm not.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Several Things, and not in any particular order:

1- How much I like the character. I've long since had a disdain for the space animals for some reason, but now in Brawl 2 out of the 3 (Fox and Wolf) I am considering as possible mains.

2- How well I play the character (I simply sucked with Marth in Melee, and Fox, and a few other "everyone has them" characters)

3- How often they are played; I kinda liked being "The Link guy'' at some of the tournaments I went to.

4- How they coincide with my playstyle, how their strengths/weaknesses compliment and detract from my own as a player

5- How cool they look

6- Since Brawl came out, I kind of find it a waste not to consider one of the newcomers as a main.

7- Learning curve vs. reward; I don't want to spend years mastering a character knowing that "even the best X can get trashed by a decently good Y"

RedTone

Smash Cadet
I have many factors that I have considered on choosing my main..some of them were mentioned many times in this thread, but the number one for me is:
How annoying can I be with the character?
I choose you, Pikachu! D:

EDIT: i don't spam thunder btw.. don't worry..

Top Bottom