• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Teachy TV: Ivysaur Video and Critique Thread

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
That set against Hungrybox was intense. Such an amazing game of spacing. I was nervous watching even though I knew the outcome lol. Thanks for the videos. Are the matches you played after going to be uploaded too?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I would assume so, but I didn't record them; they were on the Twitch stream for SmashStudios; I imagine you could find them in the archives if you didn't want to wait for them to put them up in a YouTube video (assuming they're doing that).

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
I was about to post my vids from TO9, but you beat me to it Reflex, thanks.
I felt so nervous the whole time, since it was my first BIG tournament, which is evident by just how much I SD in my matches. Any general advice for playing more calmly/confidently in big tournaments guys?

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
I would assume so, but I didn't record them; they were on the Twitch stream for SmashStudios; I imagine you could find them in the archives if you didn't want to wait for them to put them up in a YouTube video (assuming they're doing that).
For some reason the twitch stream archive only has the melee portion saved, but maybe we'll see them uploaded on youtube.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I was about to post my vids from TO9, but you beat me to it Reflex, thanks.
I felt so nervous the whole time, since it was my first BIG tournament, which is evident by just how much I SD in my matches. Any general advice for playing more calmly/confidently in big tournaments guys?
Mental preparation for tournaments is something I think people really ought to do more. It's all fine improving your gameplay/consistency but it means nothing if you can't perform in tournament.

I strongly recommend doing something that HugS calls smash cardio. The method is to play tournament-style sets for hours on end with a training partner, without any breaks, barring the occasional toilet/water break that you would have in tournaments. By training in a tournament style setting, you are mentally preparing yourself to deal with nerves and play well under pressure, as well as physically preparing your execution to remain strong. Chances are, when it comes down to the wire in tournament you will both be choking to some extent, your goal is to minimize that. This also helps a lot when it comes to "tournament stamina", a lot of people get burned out pretty quickly when they're in a large bracket, you'll quickly notice that by doing this you don't really suffer from fatigue much, which is a huge advantage to have.

Make sure you are in good shape on the day. Sleep well, have a good breakfast, get to the tournament early. If you're stressed out or feeling bad it's going to have an impact on your performance. Likewise, if you're feeling good you're far more likely to remain calm. Also, consider looking at techniques that are designed to help you remain calm/focused, like meditation.

Finally, I'd suggest focus the mental aspect of your game on actually playing well, noting what your opponent is doing, noting what you are doing that is working and what isn't working. Actively consider your position and how to maximise your chances of winning. Absolutely make sure you drive out external factors such as "this guy is better than me", "I shouldn't be losing" or "I'm playing bad" and do not go into matches with expectations like "I will definitely win" or "I will probably lose", the former can get ugly when things don't go your way and the latter is setting you up with a poor defeatist mindset before you even get the chance to play your opponent.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
[Project: M] lambnadr (Ivysaur) vs Snice (Mario)
http://youtu.be/e_78DLs3b5o

[Project: M] Attila (Donkey) vs lambnadr (Ivysaur)
http://youtu.be/ZUhB81QIfmc

[Project: M] lambnadr (Ivysaur) vs Raziek (Ike/Snake)
http://youtu.be/YW6JL3rQfr0

[Project: M] Croi (MK) vs lambnadr (Ivysaur) WF
http://youtu.be/tIZfSmstwi8

[Project: M] Croi (MK) vs lambnadr (Ivysaur) GF
http://youtu.be/dzps7RYivUg

Before you guys say "Man this guy is bad" when you watch the first match, my only excuse is that I ****ing hate lag, even when it's the "official evo" monitor.

Note: GF had to be best of 3 due to time constraints.

The_AceSox

Smash Rookie
Before you guys say "Man this guy is bad" when you watch the first match, my only excuse is that I ****ing hate lag, even when it's the "official evo" monitor.

Note: GF had to be best of 3 due to time constraints.
As a new ivysaur player really enjoyed these vids. Gave me a good idea on what to focus on practicing. Congrats on the win btw!

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
In a controlled environment such as Reflex's video it seems easy, but in a real match where the opponent doesn't usually extend their recovery pass the ledge it's definitely less practical. In most cases, I find there's just better options to edge guard such as Down Smash, Uair spike, Dair, Fair, and ofcourse everyone's favourite, Bair.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
In a controlled environment such as Reflex's video it seems easy, but in a real match where the opponent doesn't usually extend their recovery pass the ledge it's definitely less practical. In most cases, I find there's just better options to edge guard such as Down Smash, Uair spike, Dair, Fair, and ofcourse everyone's favourite, Bair.
Is Uair a spike? I thought it was a Meteor, but please let me know! Bair is freaking amazing by the way, so amazing I forget to use it

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
I played at xanadu last week and got beat up by 2 different squirtles. Anybody know the matchup?

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I played at xanadu last week and got beat up by 2 different squirtles. Anybody know the matchup?
The one time I played a Squirtle I had no idea what to do either, but by the end of the first match I was just pivot grabbing his Side B approaches and he couldn't get in unless I screwed up the timing. Of course, this was 2.6 not 3.0, but the pivot grab should still be just as effective.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
The windbox is actually pretty useful in teams. It screws up short-hop distances and L-Cancel timings. Everytime it's happened it's been accidental but I feel like someone astute could find uses for it.

QraQ

Smash Ace
Fair has enough spacing and can dig through Squirtle's guard frames. I'd say cut down on razor leaf against Squirtle seeing as it doesn't do much to his approach and does a lot to your cooldown.
If you pop Squirtle up at low % don't get tricked into a counter side-B, seems like a very popular option for counterattack (and neutral game) by Squirt players.

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
Finally got around to recording some games. Just friendlies, and the first Fox I've ever played against. I'd appreciate anybody who can give some critique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcruqMlPkjw

There's more in the series, 8 videos so far. Working on getting a few more uploaded where he goes Roy and Marth. My computer crashed so I'm hoping to get that fixed.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Finally got around to recording some games. Just friendlies, and the first Fox I've ever played against. I'd appreciate anybody who can give some critique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcruqMlPkjw

There's more in the series, 8 videos so far. Working on getting a few more uploaded where he goes Roy and Marth. My computer crashed so I'm hoping to get that fixed.
Just watching the beginning I'm noticing you've got a pretty good feel for Ivy's combos but you've got really static movement, like you're uncomfortable or something. Same goes for the fox you're playing with. I mean, I saw him DD a little bit and WD but when it comes to effectively employing those he drops off. Also both of you guys do that thing where you don't know what to do when close to your opponent so you just dodge away. That's a bad habit that you gotta squelch because better players will tech chase for days.

This is just a semi wild guess, so correct me if I'm way off, but do you and the guy your playing with play with the characters you were playing in the vid much more than with any other character? Because to me your play is strange because it's really solid in some regards, and appears a little basic in other areas, and the only time I've seen that is with some of the people I play with where they just rep 1 character.

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
Last year I played almost exclusively Ivy, but since 3.0 it's been pretty much all Roy. The other guy says he just started playing Fox a few days before this video, he plays mostly Marth, Roy, Ganon, and Falco otherwise (although I have a suspicion that he hasn't really tried any others). I'm trying to pick up more characters, I want to try to focus on maybe a new character every month or something. That's just an idea, but I've played Roy almost exclusively for about 3 months, and Ivy for all of 2013 lol. Not that I have many people to play with anyway. For that reason, I've only played my "good" characters (Roy and Ivy) against him, because we don't always have the opportunity.

Can you explain the static movement? How much did you watch? I'm trying to get a feel of where in the video you noticed it. I do recognize my movement becomes less fluid when I'm closer to him. Could you watch this and tell me if you notice similar things? I've played Roy a lot more recently than Ivy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVHIRJcLi18

How does playing fewer characters more often affect me in that way? Isn't that the point of having a main?

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Last year I played almost exclusively Ivy, but since 3.0 it's been pretty much all Roy. The other guy says he just started playing Fox a few days before this video, he plays mostly Marth, Roy, Ganon, and Falco otherwise (although I have a suspicion that he hasn't really tried any others). I'm trying to pick up more characters, I want to try to focus on maybe a new character every month or something. That's just an idea, but I've played Roy almost exclusively for about 3 months, and Ivy for all of 2013 lol. Not that I have many people to play with anyway. For that reason, I've only played my "good" characters (Roy and Ivy) against him, because we don't always have the opportunity.

Can you explain the static movement? How much did you watch? I'm trying to get a feel of where in the video you noticed it. I do recognize my movement becomes less fluid when I'm closer to him. Could you watch this and tell me if you notice similar things? I've played Roy a lot more recently than Ivy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVHIRJcLi18

How does playing fewer characters more often affect me in that way? Isn't that the point of having a main?
Well for instance I'm noticing that you have some moments of really fluid movement. Like WDing up from the ledge. But on the flip side of that you have some weird stuff like walking instead of dashing when you're in close. You also go into your shield a lot, which is a fantastic option, but I feel that you use it as a substitute for a good close range game.

I think what it is is that you've got an alright approach game and a notable combo game but your transitioning from one to the other is rusty, and you don't really know what to do in close if you're not actively comboing them.

A good thing to practice and incorporate would be wave dashing out of shield. It would let you convert some of your moments where you're awkwardly sitting in shield without knowing how to move from shielding to out of shield.

Also you and the other guy you play with seem to be unsure of a lot of your attacks. Like you'll connect with something, but the following combo will be a bit jilted or disjointed because you're not ready to string more stuff together. Same goes with your tech chasing. Your grab game is also really uncomfortable. Like you'll walk forward two steps and then try and grab a second after you've stopped in place. It all feels like it lacks flow. You need to commit to what you're doing and do it confidently. That way your reads will pay off.

The reason this summary of your play is without concise points is I'm writing as I watch through. The main way I can tell both you and the other guy have got some chops is in between stocks you guys get beautiful movement, but the moment the other person gets back to the stage it's back to choppy attacks and engagement.

Last edited:

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
LOL. I can agree with all of that. I know that I need to act more confidently, too. I guess I'm struggling to find a balance between reading my opponent and attacking with a read of my own, or playing safe. I do a lot of unsafe stuff.

I really appreciate the insight and compliments.

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
Denti is quickly becoming a top tier Ivy. He's always been pretty good, but he's been getting damn good recently. I was watching him put in some serious work at BR10, such a shame the footage from the great sets he played was not archived.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Smash down South 2 (UK) :
X1 vs Beta (Ike)

The NSA 2 (USA) :
The Derrit vs The NZA (Ness)

I'll edit with videos of me getting bopped at Smash'Archy (France) when the videos are online so check back the thread =3
There was also a couple other tournaments featuring Ivysaurs this week end, I asked in the respective result threads for youtube channels to subscribe to. Denti won a tourney, it'd be great to have the replays.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Thanks for putting that up Teneban - I wasn't very proud of this match going back and watching it, but maybe I can get some advice. A) How the hell do you get out of PK fire? B) what is a safe way to edgeguard Ness' up B? b-air only works at plus 120, seeing as otherwise he can still recover.

Thanks and please respond!

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
Thanks for putting that up Teneban - I wasn't very proud of this match going back and watching it, but maybe I can get some advice. A) How the hell do you get out of PK fire? B) what is a safe way to edgeguard Ness' up B? b-air only works at plus 120, seeing as otherwise he can still recover.

Thanks and please respond!
A) You can get out of PK fire by either:

1. Buffer roll away when on the ground or
2. SDI up and out of the fire

Either way, if you get hit by the fire and you aren't shielding, chances are Ness is going to follow up.

B) The way I see it, what you can do is have your back to Ness when you see him start his PK Thunder, then bair as soon as you think he'll launch. Think of it as Fox's up b except longer. You can also try bairing onto the stage from the ledge as soon as Ness launches. That way if Ness recovers high, you can just throw out another bair or go for a kill move.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
A) You can get out of PK fire by either:

1. Buffer roll away when on the ground or
2. SDI up and out of the fire

Either way, if you get hit by the fire and you aren't shielding, chances are Ness is going to follow up.

B) The way I see it, what you can do is have your back to Ness when you see him start his PK Thunder, then bair as soon as you think he'll launch. Think of it as Fox's up b except longer. You can also try bairing onto the stage from the ledge as soon as Ness launches. That way if Ness recovers high, you can just throw out another bair or go for a kill move.
Yeah I'm starting to think 'shield -> roll out' is the way to go. For B) you misunderstand, I know you can bair is but that won't consistently kill him. He can also recover high even at high percents, so it's not always ideal. I watched TheReflexWonder's video on windbox, and could see that as an option if he sets up unsafely.

TreK

Is "that guy"
The roll trick works, but it still gives Ness an absurd amount of stage control. If avoiding it altogether is an option, go for it.

He did recover a lot more often than he should have been able to though. In the first match, the only instance where you even tried to threaten him with a bair was when he was already too far to recover in the first place.
A bair won't immediately kill at low percentages, but it will push him farther, in a place where recovering high may not be an option for him anymore (especially if he spent his DJ already), and consequently, where edgehogging may become an option for you.
Other than that good job, I'm totally stealing that opener at the beginning of the first match lol

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Doing a fall-off razor leaf from platforms is also really good, because it allows you to dash immediately when you hit the ground without worrying about timing, and puts it slightly higher than a sh razor leaf. I was trying to do that honestly lol

TreK

Is "that guy"
Double post ?
More vidjos !

Trek vs *Zen (Charizard)
Trek vs charby (Marth)

I'd like to have those critiqued please :3
From what I've seen, I need to work on my ledge game a lot, and probably try not to SD as much in matches that could potentially have won me money :C
But an outsider's perspective would be welcome.

Top Bottom