• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Survivor's Guide to Anti-theft

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
It's not as if we need to walk on eggshells in regards to theft. It happens. Sometimes it's an accident, other times it's intentional. Even careful people can lose stuff. I personally, have. So I want to give people a quick survivor's guide to keeping your stuff safe!! Now...I'm not opposed to stating the obvious. Some of this stuff is covered in other guides....as in they touched on it. Other stuff is common sense. However, we need to state things blatantly from time to time.

One thing I will say...better safe than sorry...post this up with your rules somewhere every time you make a thread. Whether you're the TO, or just the promoter.

On the TO side:
1.) As the TO, never leave the play area or your area unattended.
2.) If you have to leave, be sure there's someone there that can take your place. (That means HAVE ASSISTANTS)
3.) Offer a spot for people to place their belongings if they have to leave and don't have someone with them.
3.) Encourage people to tag/mark their systems CLEARLY. Keep note of where they have been placed
4.) If there are people involved in your venue, like mine, let them be an extra safe haven for belongings. (Assuming they have no problems for a short period of time.)
5.) Obviously keep an eye on and protect your own equipment, as you should already know where it is at all times and it should be marked, anyway.
6.) Make announcements if you see something unattended. Better safe than sorry.
7.) Pay attention to ANY changes made at stations. If you didn't approve of it or give the order, make sure you know why it's happening.
8.) This is blatantly obvious- Keep the pot in a safe place and ALWAYS check it periodically.
9.) Keep an eye out for suspicious characters, or people who aren't there to play. (Perhaps just observe)
10.) Always be aware of people's actions who may be under suspicion in the tournament scene.

On the Player Side:
1.) Always try to come with at least one other person
2.) Make an effort to get to know people at tournaments. That way if you come alone, you can leave stuff with a trusted associate. If not, know the TO, Venue Agents, and Assistants.
3.) Keep an eye on your stuff. Know where you placed it, or it has been placed for use.
4.) Take anything like controllers with you at all times!! Why are you leaving it?
5.) If you lend a controller out, either have a unique Marker on it, or know where it is. You know the player you lent it to. Show some responsibility on that end.
6.) Try bringing a game AND a system. It makes it VERY hard to lose something that comes as a pair. There's no excuse for you to have ANYONE switch your game out without your explicit approval.
7.) Let someone know (like the TO) if you're leaving for a bit. They can keep a closer eye on it.
8.) Never leave a bag unattended if you don't need to.
9.) Keep an eye out for anything that seems unusual. If you're a regular patron, you know who people come with, and/or actually know.
10.) If you know information that's sensitive or see something unattended, etc., just let the TO know, and keep an eye out as well. (Like persons under suspicion.)

These are 10 basic rules on each side that should minimize any sort of worry for theft at tournaments. While nothing is ever guaranteed, we can be proactive and prevent a lot more of the small incidents that happen. (Accidental or not.)

I hope this guide helps everyone out a little more. Yes, it SHOULD be common sense, but some stuff needs to be posted. Have fun, and Happy Gaming!!!

-Tempestt

Top Bottom