• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I've played far too much Smash Tour to be proud of.

Also, yo! I'm hosting an IRL tournament today and I'm excited, you guys can tune in in about 4 hours at http://www.twitch.tv/vitalityevents

Pools start at 11am AEST.

Edit: I hope Luco checks this thread and tunes in because this will be the first time we have Waveguider vs Scabe :O

Last edited:

Jya

Smash Rookie
Do EB, M3, then M1 in that order. Only do M1 if you REALLY liked the first two.

Don't get me wrong, I loved M1, but it hasn't aged well and I can see it frustrating some people. I like it, but I can't recommend it to everyone.

IMO EB = M3 > M1
It's a clsoe call between the latest 2 games, but I honestly think it's a preference thing.
Aye aye captain!

Qoo

Smash Rookie
NNID
salvaheck
3DS FC
0275-7958-0610
omfg i tried playing m1 and i died before i got to the graveyard like 4 times is it supposed to be this hard or does rng just hate me

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
omfg i tried playing m1 and i died before i got to the graveyard like 4 times is it supposed to be this hard or does rng just hate me
It's a classic Nintendo game. Yannow, back when they really didn't hold your hand for anything and brutal **** hit the fan on a regular basis XP

I think think the term for that these days is "hard mode."

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It's a classic Nintendo game. Yannow, back when they really didn't hold your hand for anything and brutal **** hit the fan on a regular basis XP

Lol ya. Back in those days...

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
The game gets significantly easier (still, don't let your guard down) once you get Loid on your team. Then it gets even easier once you start finding boomerangs, and even more manageable once Ana joins your team AND gets relevant PSI moves (this takes a while though).

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I still believe the game should've given us some kind of maps for the dungeons. I know mazes are made to force people to think a little, but the Rocket Factory and Magicant's grotto are REALLY twisted XD
I still managed to overcome them, through :-p

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Well, Ness officially became my third main. Might as well familiarize myself to the Ness boards.

To start, I shall post this 7% to death combo.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, Ness officially became my third main. Might as well familiarize myself to the Ness boards.

To start, I shall post this 7% to death combo.

Not bad. But kinda situational, considering the edge was right there. But I won't go on the offensive.

Welcome to the Ness boards!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
videos of comboes are supposed to be situational. that's what makes them fun to watch.
Ya, I guess.

Yay more clips from me~

RIP Diddy.

Now it's Shul- Flying Time?
^He was mashing Down-B after the airdodges, if I got Vision'd PKT2 I would've cried lol
Way to make use of PKT2. Meanwhile I'm still trying to work a double PKT. Can't get the 2nd one without grabbing the edge with the first! I mean, yes it's better in a match to get it the first time but I still want to learn it for that one time it will count...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Gonna post this here because it's fun, but a question: since Ness's PK Fire is angled downwards, he can sort of edgeguard with it right? Considering Fox and Falco's recoveries... yeah... This happened to Shofu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNwReg27xhw&feature=player_detailpage#t=225.
Somewhat, yes. If an opponent hangs on an edge too long as well, PK Fire is a good option. If the opponent hangs on an edge too long, PK Fire might hit them at just the right distance, and could actually kinda semi-spike. I was able to do it against a friend, but don't have a replay to show you.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Not bad. But kinda situational, considering the edge was right there. But I won't go on the offensive.

Welcome to the Ness boards!
Honestly, I won't consider muself part of the Ness boards until I player Mother 2. (Which shouldn't take too long)

Qoo

Smash Rookie
NNID
salvaheck
3DS FC
0275-7958-0610

haha i guess youre right but even smt games dont feel like this x_x

Tikao

Smash Ace
that shulk trajectory thing is something pkt2 related, i somehow got the same thing against a cpu, hit him somewhere on the left, he instantly teleported to the right under the edge and got nearly stagespiked, but he just died normaly to the right

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Honestly, I won't consider muself part of the Ness boards until I player Mother 2. (Which shouldn't take too long)
Lol. Guess that means I'm not part of them either. But I will be picking up EarthBound pretty soon as well for my birthday at the end of the month.

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
I actually picked up MH4U pretty quickly for it being my first MH game. It does take some getting used to and there is a ton of information that you need to read outside the game but it's quite an interesting and unique game. It's been a pleasure learning the game thus far.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
@ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch The reason that Smiles and Tears video is called '8 melodies' is... well, because it IS the 8 melodies. Earthbound and Mother have 2 separate '8 melodies' tracks, and Smiles and Tears is basically a super remix of EB's one. It's why M3 has '16 melodies', because you'll notice it combines the first two (and then kinda goes on to include the Love theme, but still :p ).

@ Pazx Pazx You should have tagged me buddy! But I'm so sorry, this place stopped sending me alerts so I had to catch up on a couple of pages. I'll be more attentive in future, that sounds like it would've been awesome to watch. D: Thankyou for thinking of me though, it makes me really happy! =D

As for M1, I'm playing the unmodded version and yeah it's difficult. But it's fun, and I think I'll really enjoy it. Its movement is a bit tough though yeah.

I would play the games in order of EB, M3 and then M1 like EB360 said. Earthbound in many ways takes the conventions of M1 and refines them, so M1 does have a lot of stuff you see in EB but yeah EB's versions of them are usually more fleshed out (such as the conversations with your dad on the phone). EB has a lot of great humour and a much cooler interface (the HP counter system for instance, or the way the enemies run around all the time) to work with, and some really great teachings and morals. M3 then continues on that, you'll still see a lot of nods to previous Mother games and to top it off you'll have this big emotional rollercoaster of a story that's really quite powerful. Then once you go back to M1 you get where all the humour and story came from whilst forgiving it for the fact that it hasn't aged so well (they had to skip over many balance sections). That said if you really are sure you have the patience and commitment to go through M1 first, then that's also cool. :grin:

And yeah @ Ffamran Ffamran , I remember this was something we were discussing a little while ago. Sounds like it's getting used more often. :o

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
@ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch The reason that Smiles and Tears video is called '8 melodies' is... well, because it IS the 8 melodies. Earthbound and Mother have 2 separate '8 melodies' tracks, and Smiles and Tears is basically a super remix of EB's one. It's why M3 has '16 melodies', because you'll notice it combines the first two (and then kinda goes on to include the Love theme, but still :p ).

@ Pazx Pazx You should have tagged me buddy! But I'm so sorry, this place stopped sending me alerts so I had to catch up on a couple of pages. I'll be more attentive in future, that sounds like it would've been awesome to watch. D: Thankyou for thinking of me though, it makes me really happy! =D

As for M1, I'm playing the unmodded version and yeah it's difficult. But it's fun, and I think I'll really enjoy it. Its movement is a bit tough though yeah.

I would play the games in order of EB, M3 and then M1 like EB360 said. Earthbound in many ways takes the conventions of M1 and refines them, so M1 does have a lot of stuff you see in EB but yeah EB's versions of them are usually more fleshed out (such as the conversations with your dad on the phone). EB has a lot of great humour and a much cooler interface (the HP counter system for instance, or the way the enemies run around all the time) to work with, and some really great teachings and morals. M3 then continues on that, you'll still see a lot of nods to previous Mother games and to top it off you'll have this big emotional rollercoaster of a story that's really quite powerful. Then once you go back to M1 you get where all the humour and story came from whilst forgiving it for the fact that it hasn't aged so well (they had to skip over many balance sections). That said if you really are sure you have the patience and commitment to go through M1 first, then that's also cool. :grin:

And yeah @ Ffamran Ffamran , I remember this was something we were discussing a little while ago. Sounds like it's getting used more often. :o
Like I said, a bit confused by this series' music, but the music is REALLY good. Thanks for clearing that up though.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Which game in the Mother series should I start with? Mother 2, 3 or the first one?

ilysm

sleepy
The good thing about MOTHER is that you by no means need to play them in order, but I personally had a great experience starting with the first one and ending with MOTHER 3. It was cool to see the series as a whole develop and grow, not just the plot by itself. :)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
most people here will probadly say Mother 2 -> Mother 3 -> Mother 1 is the way to go
Honestly I dunno which I'll play after EarthBound (Mother 2 for those of you who don't know, though that population may be small). I guess whichever I get next, if I get either of them since I've heard Mother 1 is in all Japanese and Mother 3 never came to the U.S.A..

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
So I've had a lot on my plate lately but in another month or two I'm looking to get back into competitive smash. Hopefully I can be less dead until then

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Patch is out now, the question is did it affect Ness in any way? I'll try to notice any changes but no guarantees since I'll be trying out Mewtwo as well.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Patch is out now, the question is did it affect Ness in any way? I'll try to notice any changes but no guarantees since I'll be trying out Mewtwo as well.
Talking of Mewtwo, beware of jugglers : our poor Psychic type friend is a bit like a Ganondorf, but he is way more lighter, from what I saw when facing some.
Still, that guy might be more unfair than Palutena : he has a chargeable projectile, a reflector that can connect into a Dtilt or a fair and a Special that makes people unconcious XD

P.s. : I didn't feel like anything changed at all...
Someone get on that please.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Talking of Mewtwo, beware of jugglers : our poor Psychic type friend is a bit like a Ganondorf, but he is way more lighter, from what I saw when facing some.
Still, that guy might be more unfair than Palutena : he has a chargeable projectile, a reflector that can connect into a Dtilt or a fair and a Special that makes people unconcious XD

P.s. : I didn't feel like anything changed at all...
Someone get on that please.
After today, I can't go online until I get Mewtwo. I'd rather see him for myself first than see how he plays before I myself can play him. Even though we got a good glimpse of it in his trailer.

I hope nothing to Ness has changed, he's fine as is for now.

Meanwhile on the G&W boards they're debating on whether his Up Tilt was nerfed or not...

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
RECKLESS! *tackelhugz*

So I think we might have a kill throw contender, if you know what I mean. ;)

I'm investigating Ness now. The only major thing I can see is that Dthrow now has an aesthetic that shakes the screen slightly. Was it also reduced from 9% to 7%? Not sure.

Dair seems to have just a tiny bit less ending lag. I can FH use it and fast fall after it whilst landing safely. Doing a SH Dair still sucks though.

Did Fthrow always do 11%? Actually can we get pre-patch numbers on all of Ness' throws? Post-patch, Dthrow is 7%, Fthrow is 11%, Uthrow is 10% and Bthrow is 11%. Bthrow doesn't seem to have changed, it's just as powerful as ever. Rage is also still very much in the game so we don't have to worry about that at all. Was Bair always a whopping 15% though? Uair 13%? Gaaaah I wish we had numbersssss :p

Last edited:

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure the throw percents are accurate, they were similar in Brawl as well. In fact I've always preferred to fthrow/uthrow people at mid percents over dthrow since they add more damage and dthrow no longer reliably connects with other moves past the low percents.

Aerial damage seems accurate too, Ness' aerials have always been really good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom