• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U The stages in Smash 4 are ridiculous!

D

Deleted member 245254

It's not just me is it? I feel like every single stage has some gimmick or hazard that screws over play. Then, the ones that don't have those kinds of things, are crappy stages like Wii Fit and Wuhu Island (Really?).
It's like, you think "Huh this stage could be lega-Nope. Nevermind"
It's almost as if Sakurai is just going ham for the stages because he made "Omega" modes for them. Forcing us to that for almost everything.
Sorry, but I don't agree with you at all. If you really feel this way it's my opinion that you have very little in observational skills.

Fisaulerod

Smash Rookie
We don't even know all the stages, but:

Starters:
-FD
-BF
-Lylat
-Town and City
-Smashville (?, maybe redundant)

Counters:
-Halberd
-Castle Siege
-Pilot Wings (?)
-Delfino (?)
-Kongo (?)

Just wait til the game is released, probably we'll have more competitive stages.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
We have so many competitively viable stages from the looks of it and that makes me love the crap out of it.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Battlefield
Big Battlefield
Smashville
Town and City
FD

Five legal ones already. And I'd wager a few more to be CPs. Isn't this the same amount Melee or Brawl has total?
Town & City is legal? Doesn't it have platforms, that if you stay on for too long, will eventually change and pull you off screen?

I doubt that will be legal for long.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Town & City is legal? Doesn't it have platforms, that if you stay on for too long, will eventually change and pull you off screen?

I doubt that will be legal for long.
Well, If you stay on Randall you'll fall off and die.

Same as that dood on Yoshi's Island

And Smashvilles pulls you really close to the blastzone so you can just backthrow for easy KOs

And Pokemon Stadium from Melee has the pit

And Whispy Wood blows air ...

My point is that there are tiny "interferences" in past legal stages, but I think Town and City's are not that bad - they're not an instant kill. And I think players will be able to visually see "oh dang, platforms are leaving" with the other stage clues. It's kind of beneficial, as it doesn't provoke camping up there and forces movement. Also, it changes the layout a but while you fight and isn't extremely intrusive about it. But I could totally be wrong and they may have changed it from E3? Who knows, but I'm on the boat where I think it'll be fine for legality. :)

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
The stage list looks fine. A hazard or two is not enough to pass judgement on a stage, especially if it's an easily avoided one that doesn't hamper the match.

You have to look deeply into this stuff before passing judgement.

Anthuhny

Smash Cadet
I'm definitely with the OP on this one, I know that the game is suppose to be a party game but at least make it a fair party game. Some of these stages are pretty unfair even with items turned off.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
This is true, but you're forgetting one thing: Platforms.

While having an FD version is nice, some of us like having variance in stage design and geometry. It's one of the reasons why I personally loved Lylat cruise in Brawl. You can platform cancel with 3 available platforms, and the angles of the wings allow you to fast fall into them for some mix ups since you'll slide from the momentum.

Even though we have that stage back, I wouldn't mind having some NEW legal stages.
Miiverse stage, battlefield big battlefield, town and city. Platforms, boom. The point is that there doesn't need to be a ton of these stages, since people who value competitiveness won't (or shouldn't) care too much about great deals of variety.

Miiverse stage, battlefield big battlefield, town and city. Platforms, boom. The point is that there doesn't need to be a ton of these stages, since people who value competitiveness won't (or shouldn't) care too much about great deals of variety.
So I shouldn't be able to enjoy a variety of beautiful stages with platforms? That's bull****.

I'm a competitive player, and the presumption that just because someone plays at that level wouldn't enjoy having a scenic view is ridiculous. We aren't numb to what the game has to offer, which is exactly why For Glory was created, contrary to your belief. The only issue was that it was not properly executed, and even having the same thing with the ability to mimic battlefield would be welcomed.

Hell, why do we need more crazy stages than we already have? And please don't say "smash's priority is to be a party game etc.", it's not, it's a game that can be tailored to any player. Especially since we have had several national tournaments in the United States, access to the GameCube controller exclusively for smash, and the fact that it's being released in the states first, one can easily interpret this game as a tournament based fighter.

Personally, I like seeing everything. The look, feel and sound of the stage alters my gameplay and thinking mid game and creates a scenario.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
one can easily interpret this game as a tournament based fighter.
Sakurai disagrees with you. He designed the game firstly as a fun fighter with a low learning curve. Easy to play but hard to master sort of thing so everyone can have fun. I think the Final Destination stages are his response to the tournament scene but that's only a secondary thing. He has spoken about this.

Morbi

Scavenger
I do not enjoy the stage list to be utterly honest; however, the stage list is not necessarily bad either. Okay, it is pretty bad, that has not stopped us before though.

Sakurai disagrees with you. He designed the game firstly as a fun fighter with a low learning curve. Easy to play but hard to master sort of thing so everyone can have fun. I think the Final Destination stages are his response to the tournament scene but that's only a secondary thing. He has spoken about this.
That is not entirely relevant.

the8thark

Smash Lord
That is not entirely relevant.
How is what I said not relevant? I just told him, the game creator talked about how much the tournament scene went into making the game. You don't need to interpret anything, you just listen to Sakurai's words to know.
But still I'd like to hear your opinion on why this is not relevant. Maybe I can learn something.

Last edited:
How is what I said not relevant? I just told him, the game creator talked about how much the tournament scene went into making the game. You don't need to interpret anything, you just listen to Sakurai's words to know.
But still I'd like to hear your opinion on why this is not relevant. Maybe I can learn something.
It's not relevant. Because this isn't about what Sakurai perceives the game to be, it's about why the stages are made the way they are, but the basis by which one could draw such a conclusion, and the reasoning is abysmal. As much as you can say the game doesn't need the stages, having 45 stages that promote frantic and insane play is hypocritical, especially since this game is supposedly balanced.

Balance, not being character based, is also affected by content; having something for everyone in proportionate amounts. Having crazy stages isn't for everyone, same with items, same with having no items. This game is supposed to be flexible, and having a bunch of features that constantly interfere with gameplay ruins the flexibility.

This game could be what it wants to be, but these stages seem to be forcing the game into one direction, leaving the remnants of how the game can be as table scraps. I should be able to make the game as competitive as I can make the game crazy, not only that, I should be able to fully enjoy it in that fashion. Isn't that only fair?

Last edited:

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Battlefield
Big Battlefield
Smashville
Town and City
FD

Five legal ones already. And I'd wager a few more to be CPs. Isn't this the same amount Melee or Brawl has total?
There has to be more....I'm willing to wager some Omega stages won't be viable since some have weird differences to the real FD, no underside and whatnot.

Also, you're ALAX!!!!! Whoa!!!

I'm sorry.....

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
I'd hardly call a staple of the series "ridiculous", stage hazards can make a stage really fun.

But I would like the option to turn them off, sometimes you don't want to play the Omega stage but also don't feel like encountering the stage hazards. I know my friend hates the Flying Men in Magicant and I personally find the Yellow Devil really annoying in the Dr Wily stage, but I like everything else in the non-omega version just fine, so having that option would be great.

Worst upcoming Stage Hazard? Ridley. He's too big

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
I think my biggest issue is there are some stages with admitedly cool design choices and great franchise music or just a franchise I personally favor. So for example Gaur Plain, something that, albeit not 100% legal could have still been somewhat viable but now with Metal Face it's completely closed for the basic version. I tend to want to stay to competitive rules via stage choices, that is, sure my own choice, but I do like variety as many others have commented here before.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
So I shouldn't be able to enjoy a variety of beautiful stages with platforms? That's bull****.

I'm a competitive player, and the presumption that just because someone plays at that level wouldn't enjoy having a scenic view is ridiculous. We aren't numb to what the game has to offer, which is exactly why For Glory was created, contrary to your belief. The only issue was that it was not properly executed, and even having the same thing with the ability to mimic battlefield would be welcomed.

Hell, why do we need more crazy stages than we already have? And please don't say "smash's priority is to be a party game etc.", it's not, it's a game that can be tailored to any player. Especially since we have had several national tournaments in the United States, access to the GameCube controller exclusively for smash, and the fact that it's being released in the states first, one can easily interpret this game as a tournament based fighter.

Personally, I like seeing everything. The look, feel and sound of the stage alters my gameplay and thinking mid game and creates a scenario.
What's my belief? That For Glory wasn't created to be numb to what the game's other content is? I'm at least attempting to be civil here by not putting words in your mouth; even though you gain nothing from doing so, it wouldn't hurt to extend me the same courtesy.

That aside, here's my retort.
"Smash's priority is to be a party game"
Sakurai said so himself. On multiple occasions, I think, but I don't think this debate matters enough for me to go and dredge up the sources. Anyway, while it was designed first to be a fun casual experience, it is also true that it can be tailored to any player. That tailoring, however, is left to the individual: Sakurai gave the game capability to be enjoyed by a great variety of people, but he didn't design it for all of them. 'Interpretation' is as subjective as personality; I wouldn't ever use it as any sort of support for my viewpoint if I was arguing for something specific.

Bottom line is, Smash wasn't made the way I think you want it to be, and while it can work for seriously competitive play, limiting yourself in that regard limits the amount of content you're able to experience. It's the difference between Smash as a fighter and most other fighting games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom