• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic 'Self improvement' thread, plus your questions answered! FAQ

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Kinzer, you forgot a crucial piece of advice - learn to powersheild his Thunder jolts. Also, with good timing you can powersheild his Thunder and punish him then

:064: Kinzer, your Shellder looks like it's got a giant nosebleed :p

Edit: O.o how did Chis get banned?
Oh yeah! I forgot about the TJ PSs, but I kind of wonder how Thunder itself can be powershielded...such a move, it is...

Oh, it looks like a nose bleed eh? Well let me show you mah pokeyman!

:090:

Also I was not surprised to see Chis banned, I bet you any Shawnik boards frequenters are going to get it eventually. Mic double infracted me recently, but I'll be honest and say I kind of deserved it... Although I thought I was going to be infracted for censor-dodging or something... instead I get a "replying to spam" double-pointer... or maybe the thing was one point and since I did censor-dodge int he same post, he gave me two points...

Owell, why do I care, they wear off on the 11th or so, I'm a good little boy so he must've let me off easy.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
D3
Lucario
MetaKnight.
its funny cause i play all of them...
lolz
any to the ppl talking about pika. if they are jumping in the air and trying to thunderjolt spam, fair will hit through the thunder ball and continue on to hit pika.

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
well i could probably pick up lucy (lucario)

but someone told me that i should secondary with Ike

could i get some feed back on that one?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Use the character you play better as.

There's no real reason to ask other players about it, unless you've played against them and they can rate which one you do better with. Some poor soul thought he was a Sonic main, but apparently did better as Olimar. So he went off and started to work on his Olimar, and he's probably happier as an Olimain lol.

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman

There's no real reason to ask other players about it, unless you've played against them and they can rate which one you do better with. Some poor soul thought he was a Sonic main, but apparently did better as Olimar. So he went off and started to work on his Olimar, and he's probably happier as an Olimain lol.
I play as both Peach and Sonic, better with peach but that's why I lurk on thhis board and the peach one. lol

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282

well that is an easy one its sonic i mean i made someone give up on playing sonic
:chuckle:
it was a fun time

but anyways i was just finding another character to enter in the tourney's with cause you can have your main and an secondary to choose and i keep on jumping around with characters for my secondary.

Tenki

Smash Hero
The general idea for choosing secondaries strategically (assuming you don't have any characters you're already good with) is to choose a character that covers your main's worst matchups.

Or choosing a character that has a better matchup against your opponent's character.

10metaknights

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ike is okay, except he really doesn't cover Sonic's bad matchups... in fact, it's worse for him. The other guys have Ike/Falco is a 25:75 disadvantage respectively for example.

Also I forgot what I was going to say, but it wasnt this...

But I still put pokeymanz when I'm not all THAT serious.

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
The general idea for choosing secondaries strategically (assuming you don't have any characters you're already good with) is to choose a character that covers your main's worst matchups.

Or choosing a character that has a better matchup against your opponent's character.

10metaknights
thats the other main reason why i need to find a secondary

i just wanna find someone that shouldnt really interupt my sonic game while i use that other character.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
MK
its too easy

the only thing wrong is that in the process of playing MK you might go back to sonic and forget that you can be punished for your attacks again
:(

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Your best bet is probably Lucario then, he is a similar to Sonic as you will get IMO.

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
we're not really looking for a similar character but a character that covers your other's weaknesses.

like I play peach because she covers for sonic's lag and bad olimar matchup.

lol, I also play her because I find it fun, but who ever heard of having fun when playing a videogame?!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
But didn't he say he wanted a secondary that was like Sonic so it doesn't interfere too much with his Sonic playstyle?

Not only that, but Lucario does fine on his own.

Shoot, if we want a secondary to pick up on Sonic's bad matchups, we go with MK.

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
mk is banned here in most of louisville tourneys and i just dont like him cause then i just feel dirty cause mk is a dirty hore with his horenado but yah i am now thinking about lucario......eh well see how it turns out

and now i just need sonic's best stages to play on anyone know any? cause i am kinda sick of playin on fd and bf and dont even get me started on smashville

Tenki

Smash Hero
Depends on your preference lol.

I love Brinstar because I like pulling off fancy tricks that use the level. Alot of people tend to be unfamiliar with that stage, so they get stupid'd by things like lava or bridge movement traps. It's also easier to kill off the sides, and I tend to use things like F-smash and B-air to kill.

Overall, Green Greens is amazing for Sonic if it's allowed ... lol

Corneria is good too, as long as your opponent's character isn't greatly boosted there.

I think your best bet is to just use levels that your opponent's character is bad on. =P

Sonic can pretty much adapt to any stage, but there are alot of characters that have those stages they'd rather not be on XD

infomon

Smash Scientist
.... lol, I think Yoshi's Island is fantastic for Sonic. Hurray for neutrals :)

Many here think that Green Greens, Corneria, and Brinstar are great Sonic stages as well. Sadly, the first two are banned in my area, and I just dislike Brinstar myself, lol (purely inexperience). I consider Jungle Japes to be Sonic's worst stage, generally.

Edit: Tenki, are you always one step ahead?? No wonder you main Sonic :laugh: I'm too slow!

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
I consider Jungle Japes to be Sonic's worst stage, generally.
agreed but i think that goes for just about any character

to bad green hill zone is banned cause then sonic does WAVE DASHING! lolz

but yah did think about corneria once but then i remembered most of my opponents are r.o.bs, g&ws, olimars, one lucy, a falco and a pikachu.......so yah.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Jungle Japes is great for some characters. I looove taking my Bowser there. I think Falcos like it too, and some other chars as well.

Sonic gains nothing from it, and loses the ability to get vertical KOs and maneuvre around the stage. Camping can get OP here :/

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Overall, Green Greens is amazing for Sonic if it's allowed ... lol

Corneria is good too, as long as your opponent's character isn't greatly boosted there.
You REALLY gotta watch out that they don't pick DDD. Wall infinites will make you hate these stages.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i get the feeling that somebody is going to do it here, so im going to ask that people NOT embarass the hell out of me by posting the falco match i had on JJ
p.s. falco, bowser and peach like JJ

if you are playing against people that arent very manuverable you can pick rainbow cruise cus sonic can get around that stage more easily than most

infomon

Smash Scientist
i get the feeling that somebody is going to do it here, so im going to ask that people NOT embarass the hell out of me by posting the falco match i had on JJ
lol, it came to mind ;) but it should be pretty self-evident why Falco likes JJ.

pew pew, pew pew :(

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
ohh i know alllllll about rainbow cruise *laughs maniacally* that poor ness never stood a chance.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I think if you can stay on the move, Pizzachu won't want to take you to Corneria...maybe.

Remember, low blastzones are good for Sonic's "lack" of K.O. moves, and with Pizzachu being a light character, I think you "can" benefit more from the stage.

Doesn't mean they can't be gay there either, what with the TJs, Thunder, QA, wall-****.

I am really liking Corneria now, I should start experimenting on that stage.

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
battle field is bad for me actually........i just cant stand the platforms all that much:ohwell:
really? I love it for the the platforms, I screw with my opponent so much and you can upsmash alot easier since they are at the perfect height.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
no items.

sonic ONRY

BATTLEFIELD.
NO ITEMS

SAWNIK ONLY

GREEN HILL ZONE

GO!

battle field is bad for me actually........i just cant stand the platforms all that much:ohwell:
lrn2battlefield

Seriously, it's better than FD in most circumstances. I actually think it's a LOT better than FD, it's just that sometimes I need FD against certain characters who would otherwise **** me on BF...

*coughmarthcoughmetaknightcoughprobablyevenmorethanthaticantrecallrightnow*

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Tenki is right, it gets rid of that bad habit you might have where if you Spring right up, your first instinct would be to Dair.

Speaking of which, I'm going to bump the other thread for a specific characters moves I've been wanting to know about.

Brb.

Top Bottom