• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic appreciation thread.

Boxob

Smash Champion
I feel that too many people call Sonic 'bad'. I've heard it in school, on the boards, on Vent. It's dumb, Sonic's good. In my opinion, he's above average. For those who have stuck with sonic so far and and still use him online, I commend you. For those of you who *****ed out and picked Ike instead, you suck.

Anyway, everyone feel free to post their love for the blue blur. :)

R. Olivaw

Smash Cadet
I want Sonic as my new main. It'll take some work though, it requires more from the player to get KO's than say...Ike or Pit.

ViciousL337

Smash Rookie
I've noticed the recurring pattern with sonic and sonic players: Play him, do a few swirly balls, then go on to another character like Ike. The more persistant kinds of people will then after swirly balls try and get a few combos, then go over to zelda/toon-TPlink/Pit/PT/Wolf. If they continue from there they are what the rest of the worlds call "Masochists".

But I saw the light.

In the fiery depths of the Unlocked Zone, where Sonic had been patiently waiting for the entire game while I unlocked everyone else in the Subspace Emissary, he came off with his traditional and old-school look into the brawl. Spinballing Taboo's wings? **** yeah. It was from that moment that I knew the wait had definately been worth it. Beating the game really quickly so I could play as my prophet of ownage, I had stumbled into training mode first. Out of all my excitement, who was I going to fight sonic with first? It had to be Mario, there is just no other choice. I start the match on Final Desination, and then, I do what I do best: I own at video games. Sitting there for never ending minutes of combo trying, grab throws, shield cancels, dash Upsmash combos, sonic could do everything. From his old-school power up the spinball and his spring to his newer Homing attack and Sonic Battle-esque kick and punch moves.

I play excitingly, madly tapping my wireless gamecube controller in glee, from Down+B to a jump Uair comb to a spring bair hit dash over and down+a meteorsmash him and spring myself back in the stage at the right moment. I learned my timing to do magnificent throws at super sonic running speed, from across the stage to a grab could take less then half a second. Sonic CAN move two times the speed of sound afterall.

Eagerly awaiting a real match, I get my friend who was an avid meele player and we set up a match, to which I brag to him about how good I am with sonic. He picks Ike, what a noob. Final destination, No Items. I might as well just spit on his face right there. So im running up to do a grab, and then he down neutrals me. No problem right, im hit back a bit, I dash up to him, do a back grab, and try juggling him. No avail. He darials me, then as i go to do the beloved spinball, he grabs me split seconds before i am to hit him, downthrows me, bairs me, then starts edgegaurding. No problem right, press B for some homing attack ownage, then UP B from the stage. as I am doing this, he comes out of no where and meteor smashes me before I can do anything. I throw the controller in rage and go off to play Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles blindfolded, convinced I am impure.

TLDR Sonic has many counters becaus most of his attacks are straight up hits, very meele oriented, thus countered.

I am convinced I suck, and I shall get better.

LuCKy

Smash Master
I've noticed the recurring pattern with sonic and sonic players: Play him, do a few swirly balls, then go on to another character like Ike. The more persistant kinds of people will then after swirly balls try and get a few combos, then go over to zelda/toon-TPlink/Pit/PT/Wolf. If they continue from there they are what the rest of the worlds call "Masochists".

But I saw the light.

In the fiery depths of the Unlocked Zone, where Sonic had been patiently waiting for the entire game while I unlocked everyone else in the Subspace Emissary, he came off with his traditional and old-school look into the brawl. Spinballing Taboo's wings? **** yeah. It was from that moment that I knew the wait had definately been worth it. Beating the game really quickly so I could play as my prophet of ownage, I had stumbled into training mode first. Out of all my excitement, who was I going to fight sonic with first? It had to be Mario, there is just no other choice. I start the match on Final Desination, and then, I do what I do best: I own at video games. Sitting there for never ending minutes of combo trying, grab throws, shield cancels, dash Upsmash combos, sonic could do everything. From his old-school power up the spinball and his spring to his newer Homing attack and Sonic Battle-esque kick and punch moves.

I play excitingly, madly tapping my wireless gamecube controller in glee, from Down+B to a jump Uair comb to a spring bair hit dash over and down+a meteorsmash him and spring myself back in the stage at the right moment. I learned my timing to do magnificent throws at super sonic running speed, from across the stage to a grab could take less then half a second. Sonic CAN move two times the speed of sound afterall.

Eagerly awaiting a real match, I get my friend who was an avid meele player and we set up a match, to which I brag to him about how good I am with sonic. He picks Ike, what a noob. Final destination, No Items. I might as well just spit on his face right there. So im running up to do a grab, and then he down neutrals me. No problem right, im hit back a bit, I dash up to him, do a back grab, and try juggling him. No avail. He darials me, then as i go to do the beloved spinball, he grabs me split seconds before i am to hit him, downthrows me, bairs me, then starts edgegaurding. No problem right, press B for some homing attack ownage, then UP B from the stage. as I am doing this, he comes out of no where and meteor smashes me before I can do anything. I throw the controller in rage and go off to play Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles blindfolded, convinced I am impure.

TLDR Sonic has many counters becaus most of his attacks are straight up hits, very meele oriented, thus countered.

lol yor post made me laugh........good stuff but you got this ^^

anywho i love sonic lol and i probably was one of the most in denial sonic players out there.until gimpy told me "sonic is not that good, get your self a secondary".this hurt me on the inside a lot T-T although gimpy said to keep playing sonic but to wait for US brawl and stuff,but w/e i kept playing sonic got myself 2 other chars cuz there freaking cute/bad ***.anyway sonic is not that good lol i still cant bring myself to say he sucks but theres plenty of other people to do that lol lthough i still main sonic and still love the lil blue guy ^__^

sonic *****!!!

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
mehz we gotta keep tryin, who cares wut anyone else tells u. Thats their opinion and they arent always correct. Sonics not so bad, but he does have alot of weak matchups.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
I have played as Sonic much more than anyone else and still manage to be better with some of the other characters in terms of kills (we play team a lot) but he is by far one of the funnest characters in the game.

J Flo

Smash Journeyman
Yup, not much more to say since everything about how sick Sonic is has been said. But I agree with Lucky that Sonic isn't that good but can't really say he sucks. I'm gonna make sure to work with other characters just as much just for safety in tourney situations.

RPK

Smash Lord
Till there is something new and gamebreaking, I can see Sonic being well...Low mid, or Top low....He isnt the best character around, but he has potential to kick *** like Luigi or Link in Melee. He shall be an underdog...

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
I feel that too many people call Sonic 'bad'. I've heard it in school, on the boards, on Vent. It's dumb, Sonic's good. In my opinion, he's above average. For those who have stuck with sonic so far and and still use him online, I commend you. For those of you who *****ed out and picked Ike instead, you suck.

Anyway, everyone feel free to post their love for the blue blur. :)
What about if sonic is our main and ike is our #2? ...
sonic and ike ftw =p

J-PiPe

Smash Rookie

But I saw the light.

now this, this is a person who is an original Sonic fan :chuckle:

Boxob

Smash Champion
Lol @ vicious.

He's a lot better than people think he is.

It's funny fighting people online with him and owning people cause it generates the same reaction of being beaten by a pro Ness in melee. You're kinda like wtf? And you get frustrated.:laugh:

Top Bottom