• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The solution to a Rhythm Heaven character

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Triple Posting Warning Received
Guys, I've got it! I've been going through this for a while, but I've found out how to implement a Rhythm Heaven character.

RHYTHM HEAVEN
(Yes, this fighter is referred to as just that)

...I know what you might be thinking, but here's the deal. And please try to pay close attention:

Since more of the newcomers this time have taken everything to greater heights (Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt come to mind), here's one that could take things a bit further. Unlike other Smash fighters, this one is many different characters all in one moveset. Basically, the concept is a composite character similar to Mr. G&W, except not as loose. And instead of commanding a single character, you've got a whole collective to use here.

The base form of Rhythm Heaven is Marshal, but the catch is that with other attacks being used, he'll become those characters instead. Not imitating them, not summoning them, but briefly "transforming" into those characters when attacking.

Marshal will be relegated to just walking, running, jumping, using items, and getting damaged.

A: Karate Man Karate Joe will appear in Marshal's place and perform a punch combo.
Side A: Space Dance One of those green guys from Space Dance will appear and do the "p-p-p-punch" move.
Up A: The Clappy Trio A member of the Clappy Trio will do his usual upward clap.
Down A: Blue Birds One of the Blue Birds will peck down on the ground.
Run Attack: Board Meeting A pig on an office chair will spin around on it (like Mega Man's Top Spin) and come to a stop.
Side Smash: Samurai Slice The wandering samurai appears and uses his whirlwind slash from Fever's Samurai Slice level.
Up Smash: RAPMEN The yellow rapper appears and uses his "Uh, unh" move. (Red rapper appears beside him too, and rap a bit when charging)
Down Smash: Crop Stomp Stomp Farmer stomps down on the ground to make a beet pop out and tosses it up. (and a nearby opponent into the air)

Grab (and tether recovery): Love Lizards The yellow female (with the green male on her back) will extend her tongue to grab opponents and ledges from a distance.
Grab Attack: Drum Samurai When grabbed, Drum Samurai will take Marshal's place and sit down on his drummer seat and whack at the player with his drum sticks like a drum set. (This can be done to a short beat)
Forward Throw: Exhibiton Match The slugger appears and whacks the opponent forward with his baseball bat.
Back Throw: Munchy Monk Throws the opponent backward and shoots a bunch of peas at the opponent in the air. (from Fever)
Up Throw: Working Dough The dough guys appear and knock the opponent upward twice. (Once, the small guy, and the second time, both the big and small guys)
Down Throw: Mochi Pounding The mochi-pounding guys (2P Endless game, Fever) will briefly hammer the opponent repeatedly on the ground.

(Just remember that this character is called "Rhythm Heaven". This fighter takes forms of several different characters from the series during attacks)

Neutral Air: Tambourine A monkey with a tambourine will chime it, damaging anyone close by.
Forward Air: Air Rally Baxter/Forthington (randomly) will whack a badminton shuttle with his racket.
Back Air: Dog Ninja Dog Ninja slashes his swords behind him.
Up Air: Space Soccer The space kicker from Space Soccer will kick a soccer ball upwards into the air.
Down Air: Bossa Nova Bossa/Nova (randomly) will spike a sphere/cube downwards.

Neutral Special: Glee Club One of the Chorus Kids appears and opens his mouth to sing, catching projectiles into his mouth. This works exactly like the Villager's netural special, and the caught projectiles can be spat out at opponents later.
Side Special: Hole in One Mandril takes out a golf ball and throws it along the ground to damange any opponents.
Up Special: See-Saw The see-saw appears as one guy plummets the other upward.
Down Special: Love Lab This is a special that can be charged. A Love Lab scientist will shake a beaker for a while, and can throw it later. The more it's shaken, the stronger the attack will be.

Up Taunt: Marshal and buddies (Marshal briefly playing with Cam and Miss Ribbon)
Side Taunt: Fan Club (The pop idol will prance around happily with a few monkeys cheering her on)
Down Taunt: Cheer Readers (One of them will appear and flip her book around and show off a random picture on it)

Final Smash: Rhythm Parade
Marshal will "become" the Barsita dog and "grab" opponents and take them into this pseudo-cinematic Final Smash.
Anyone caught will be in for a huge parade of several characters from the series marching all over them. The A button can be pressed (by the Rhythm Heaven player) to a brief beat that's heard throughout the parade to do more damage. After that, the opponents will be sent flying.

(In case you forgot, this character is referred to as "Rhythm Heaven")

As for custom specials, like the Mii Fighters and Palutena, they're all completely different.

Custom Neutral Special 1: DJ School DJ Yellow will appear to do a record-spinning attack. Hold the button to charge it up and let go to spin it and whack the opponent nearby.
Custom Neutral Special 2: Lady Cupid Lady Cupid will appear. Like Link/Toon Link's, hold the button to charge up an arrow shot.

Custom Side Special 1: Ringside The wrestler from Ringside will charge forward at opponents, then grab and throw them if it connects. Similar to Ganondorf's.
Custom Side Special 2: Flipper-Flop Captain Tuck will roll the flipper seals forward to attack.

Custom Up Special 1: Donk-Donk The ship from Donk-Donk will propel itself upward.
Custom Up Special 2: Flock Step A Huebird will fly upward. Doesn't do any damage.

Custom Down Special 1: Frog Hop One of the frog dancers will do his spin-dance to reflect projectiles.
Custom Down Special 2: Moai Doo-Wop A moai will appear and open its mouth to absorb any projectiles to heal. Works just like Ness'.

(Again, if you haven't caught on yet, this fighter briefly "transforms" into other characters from the series during any course of action)

Victory 1: A few of the characters from this moveset (Karate Joe, Munchy Monk, Wandering Samurai, and Baxter/Forthington) will gather around and congratulate each other on their victory.
Victory 2: A couple more characters (Stomp Farmer, DJ Yellow, MC Adore, reporter, and frog dancers) will sit around and relax.
Victory 3: Marshal, Cam, Miss Ribbon, a few monkeys, and the Barista will hop around victoriously.

And finally, they would all have to be strictly in 2D to make this work smoothly.

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
It's certainly an interesting idea. I like that Sakurai's addition of a couple of fighters with more outlandish movesets has caused people to think outside of the box for their wanted newcomers.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Super Summoning Saiyan?
I've made a Monita moveset where she couldn't hurt anyone, but with the Nintendo Land enemies/protagonists attacking.

It fits perfectly for Rhythm Heaven.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well id love a rhythm paradise character and this is a very interesting concept so i support

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Super Summoning Saiyan?
I've made a Monita moveset where she couldn't hurt anyone, but with the Nintendo Land enemies/protagonists attacking.

It fits perfectly for Rhythm Heaven.
This character doesn't "summon" anyone. It "transforms" into them, all with the 2D appearance so that it goes easy on the system.

And this captures the essence of Rhythm Heaven far better than a single character could ever dream of.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
That's a bit off, since this is several characters in one moveset.

Last edited:

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather call him Mr. Rhythm Heaven than just RH itself, I always found it really strange as to why they called DHD Duck Hunt.
So you hate Duck Hunt because he's not called "Mr. Duck Hunt"?

I don't think you get how these kinds of characters work.

Rhythm Heaven isn't a "he", nor a "she". It's a "they". So basically, you are Rhythm Heaven.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The only hard part is you have to do models for each character being used. It may be remedied by making them 2D, ala, Mr. Game and Watch, though he is a 3D model.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
For extra measure, I've wrote down a Palutena Guidance for them:

Viridi: Anyone in the mood for a good beat?!

Pit: What are you talking about, Viridi?

Palutena: Those guys, right over there.

Pit: Those guys? But I only see one!

Palutena: Well, Pit. Let me shed some light. (Hee hee…) It may look like just one guy, but he's actually got a whole bunch of buddies to help him out. Together, they're all called "Rhythm Heaven".

Viridi: So named because they come from a land called Rhythm Heaven, where everything they do in their everyday lives is revolved around doing it to rhythm.

Pit: That sounds like a whole lot of fun! Better than MY life, for one.

Palutena: What was that?

Pit: Oh, nothing! Nothing at all! Anyway, so he's got a bunch of other guys helping him out, huh? That sounds like one of the most interesting fighters I've seen in a while!

Viridi: Keep an eye out for them! They appear whenever they attack! Can you identify them all?

Pit: ...I still don't hear any music.

Palutena: Just stay focused, Pit.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Great idea, and it definitely seems like something that Sakurai and his team would do.
I support!

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
All right, so here's the supporter list so far:

Hippopotasauce
WeirdChillFever
fogbadge
Smashchu
PixelPasta

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Now for a stage, also called Rhythm Heaven.

It's huge like the Great Cave Offensive, but not with narrow passages.

The top half of the stage is a pink cloud area that has the smiley castle that you see often throughout the series. On the top-right is a giant hand holding a fork from Fork Lifter. At times, peas could go by here towards it from the background, and it could stab them, also attacking players if they're not careful. The clock from Wake-Up Caller (Fever endless) is on the top-left part of the stage.

More attractions on the top parts of the stage are planes from Air Rally (top-left), a few moving clouds from Bossa Nova, the setting of Moai Doo-Wop, and the cliff from Samurai Slice (Fever). Evil spirits will appear at this part randomly and jump out.

In the center of the stage is a rainbow lit-up keyboard where players can fight on. A few extra characters are in the background part of this area.

The sides of the center part of the stage are Night Walk. The walkways from that stage appear here. Players jumping off of the patches here can generate items at times.

The bottom area are 'industrial' locations like the Screwbot Factory, Fillbots, and Built to Scale. All three attractions operate at random intervals, at random frequencies. A crane here could place Screwbots onto the conveyor belt here at times. It could attack players if it drops on them. Another conveyor with Fillbots is here as well, and its filling mechanism works the same way. In the Built to Scale part, it's based on Fever. The players can jump on the spring-loaded block that shoots widgets (which also attack players in the way). The setting of Working Dough is also around here.

It's hard to describe this all in words. I could draft a visual aid later.

JoeKarta

Smash Rookie
Do you think now that The Best+ is out and has a new main/mascot character Marshall should be replaced by Tebiri as the base form? Or would you rather stick to Marshall as he's currently more recognizable?

Top Bottom