• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty okay with his current design. I feel like reskinning him with alts that aren't just palette swaps would be a bit strange.

But if I had to make a decision, I'd rather have a Big Boss alt. It's fitting since MGS3 was on 3DS, and Phantom Pain is coming out, but considering Snake's design in brawl was a sort of combination of the two that'd be fine. I use the Big Boss skin in Project M exclusively. He's just so... Tasty. (hahagetit snake eater haha)

I'd be extremely satisfied with a beardless Solid Snake, with color alts, and then a bearded eyepatch wearing Big Boss with color alts. Kind of like Little Mac and Wireframe Mac. (I'd like the stuff they wear to have a different pattern though. Jungle fatigues vs Sneaking Suit.)

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I know its been awhile since that RTC day, but I've heard this "Kojima will feel insulted by Snake's inclusion" thing once again today...and i'm seriously curious where people are getting it from?

Kojima hasn't exactly acted offended by Konami's actions, at least publicly anyway. Even if he secretly hates Konami now, didn't he retweet @HylianHeroBigBoss's "#Snake4Smash" tweet way after it was known he was leaving Konami? That happened even after they removed his name from the older MGS games.

In fact, something tells me if Snake gets an amiibo and therefore gets included in Mario Maker, Kojima will end up crying out of happiness.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
I know its been awhile since that RTC day, but I've heard this "Kojima will feel insulted by Snake's inclusion" thing once again today...and i'm seriously curious where people are getting it from?

Kojima hasn't exactly acted offended by Konami's actions, at least publicly anyway. Even if he secretly hates Konami now, didn't he retweet @HylianHeroBigBoss's "#Snake4Smash" tweet way after it was known he was leaving Konami? That happened even after they removed his name from the older MGS games.

In fact, something tells me if Snake gets an amiibo and therefore gets included in Mario Maker, Kojima will end up crying out of happiness.
Hideo Kojima said at E3 2003 that if it wasn't for the original Super Mario Bros, he wouldn't have been in the industry. So having Snake in Mario Maker would be the perfect way to celebrate Kojima's accomplishments (though many people probably disagree with me).

39:23 for the quote

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I could definately see full on Big Boss costumes considering the last MGS on a Nintendo devise was MGS3D, but I don't think an Old Snake costume would happen. But I could see an alt color that changed Snake's hair color, beard color, and sneaking suit color to resemble Old Snake in his default octocamo happening (that would be amazing).

Speaking of Solid Snake and Big Boss costumes, do you think that Snake's beard should change depending on the costumes if he came back with those costumes? It's a tiny detail, but the Big Boss beard was used to combine the features of both Snakes. With the idea of alt costumes, there wouldn't be as much of a reason to combine their looks anymore. Though the combined features of Big Boss and Snake became arguably the most iconic look for Snake, so I guess that would be removing the most iconic version of Snake.
I've gotten so use to this design of Snake that he just doesn't look like Snake without the beard. I say they should just slap on an eyepatch on the Big Boss alt(s) and that'd be enough to set them apart, assuming that Big Boss would be wearing, at the very least, different textures than the Solid alts.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Found this in the K. Rool thread, a 4chan "leak." I only post it because it lists Snake as Ballot DLC, along with Shadow Moses Island. The fake leaks are on our side.

http://smashboards.com/attachments/69413/

I went back and played Brawl, Snake on SMI, and I half expected the Metal Gear to attack me like a stage boss. Of course, that didn't happen, but it got me thinking. How would you feel about a stage boss on a stage for Snake? I know not all of you like them, but I find them enjoyable. :4shulk: Except Yellow Devil, screw dat loser.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I went back and played Brawl, Snake on SMI, and I half expected the Metal Gear to attack me like a stage boss. Of course, that didn't happen, but it got me thinking. How would you feel about a stage boss on a stage for Snake? I know not all of you like them, but I find them enjoyable. :4shulk: Except Yellow Devil, screw dat loser.
I would enjoy Peace Walker or REX/RAY as a hazard.

And I like the stage bosses too. They're fun.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
Word has it that spoilers for MGSV have begun to leak across the internet; apparently, the game guide was released in Italy and is already translated, while gaming sites have begun to post spoilers from their review copies. I suggest everyone should be wary and alert in comment sections/social media, even on videos or articles that aren't related to MGS. To share a sorrowful experience: way back when Deathly Hallows just got published, people were spoiling the ending on YouTube -- specifically on pages for film trailers and even video game music. I found solace in that sorrow, as I now take shelter from the internet in the days leading up to the games or films I'm ecstatic toward.

Now, this is the part where waiting for the game to release becomes unbearable. The internet is a wasteland where most people are out to rattle the innocent's sense of security and tranquility, so I'm going to shut myself away from most comment sections. This one's an exception, because you guys are.

Speaking of wasteland, Mad Max: Fury Road releases on home video the same day as Phantom Pain. Is anyone else planning on picking both of them up and watching Fury Road as TPP takes its time to install?

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Word has it that spoilers for MGSV have begun to leak across the internet; apparently, the game guide was released in Italy and is already translated, while gaming sites have begun to post spoilers from their review copies. I suggest everyone should be wary and alert in comment sections/social media, even on videos or articles that aren't related to MGS. To share a sorrowful experience: way back when Deathly Hallows just got published, people were spoiling the ending on YouTube -- specifically on pages for film trailers and even video game music. I found solace in that sorrow, as I now take shelter from the internet in the days leading up to games or films I'm ecstatic toward.

Now, this is the part where waiting for the game to release becomes unbearable. The internet is a wasteland where most people are out to rattle the innocent's sense of security and tranquility, so I'm going to shut myself away from most comment sections. This one's an exception, because you guys are.

Speaking of wasteland, Mad Max: Fury Road releases on home video the same day as Phantom Pain. Is anyone else planning on picking both of them up and watching Fury Road as TPP takes its time to install?
Funnily enough the Mad Max game is out on that day and Kojima was tweeting like crazy about Mad Max when it released.
Me on Sept 1st:
What a day.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
The bittersweet feeling when you see a fake leak where the leaker mentions Snake being added as DLC.

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Heck yes. Fury Road is my favorite movie of this year, even beating out The Gift.
Good lord, The Gift was horrifying. Felt it for days.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
The bittersweet feeling when you see a fake leak where the leaker mentions Snake being added as DLC.
That people include him in fake leaks shows that they think he's likely and safe enough to be included in a leak without it being immediately disregarded as fake. Snake appears to be a popular request in Japan, so at least it's not some West-only phenomenon. And veterans seem to be highly requested in Japan, so things aren't as dismal for Snake as da haters would make it seem. I think he and Wolf have a solid shot at coming in (don't freak out if Pichu comes back, after Dr. Mario and Roy I don't trust anyone anymore).

I'm genuinely curious what newcomers come in. Despite the costume, I don't think K. Rool is out. Besides him, who else has overwhelming support? Inkling might be a thing since Splatoon appears to be successful in both the US and Japan and there has been support for her. Isaac could make it, but I don't think he's a shoo-in. Krystal is a popular choice in Japan. October can't come quick enough.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I was wondering if Snake comes back shouldn't he be a lighter character?
Also, can you add me to the Supporter List? If Sonic returned to Smash, why can't Snake?
Being "Mr Utility Belt" with his various explosives, Cipher and Cardboard Box I'd expect him to be around Link's weight. Maybe a bit heavier.

Last edited:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm honestly fine with being 4th heaviest character in the game. He'd probably become Sheik combo food, but hey, at least he won't die until 200% still. And if he can still do frame 1 nades, he can slap those fair chains back at her.

I hope up tilt is disjointed enough to hit Sheik out of floppy fishy. That's my dream. To kill Sheik out of her OP as **** move.

This game favors speedy fast fighters over slow and strong ones, but Rosalina proves that tricky stage control and hitting like a truck can still work, and that's what Snake is. So I'd prefer he be heavy so he can live against the speedy combo menaces like Sheik, Fox, Pikachu, etc.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm just wondering the reason for no new Direct so far. Like really, did they think E3's puny showing was enough to hold us over?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I can't see why people want Snake with the same weight as Link. It just doesn't work logicaly:
Link's Equipment
-A Sword
-A Shield
-Bombs
-A Boomerang
-Bow and Arrows

Snake's one
-Grenedes
-Nikita and missils
-C-4
-Chyper
-An RPG
-The Up-Smash Rocket Launcher with its amno
-Mines

Plus Snake have WAY more muscles than Link, and muscles weights even more than fat.

If Snake return, he should (and probably will remain) and heavy character.

I'm just wondering the reason for no new Direct so far. Like really, did they think E3's puny showing was enough to hold us over?
I think that the big problen was Iwata's passing. He was the face of the Directs and, as long as they don't find a new face, I sadly think that the Direct will be left in a corner for a while.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Last year, the post E3 direct (the Japan only one where Shulk and New 3DS were revealed) was late August. So i'd expect one then, or early September, since there's quite a few games that Nintendo would probably want to give new info on.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I always reckoned Snake's weight was due to his "realistic" physics.

He runs and jumps like a real human, which I love. It's a cute touch that really makes him stand out from other proportionate human characters.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Iwata did pass away(rather sadly, hearing the scorn of angry E3 fans), so it's logical they're looking at how to handle Directs without him and that's the cause of the delay.

Plus, ya know, the CEO of Nintendo passing away left a lot of holes to fill so I guess that's much higher priority for them at the moment.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm fairly confident that everybody who uses Konami or Kojima in their reasoning for Snake not getting in are using that as a veil for their true reasoning of, "I don't like Snake/Not Nintendo enough/I can't actually make good points so i'll just use that"

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm fairly confident that everybody who uses Konami or Kojima in their reasoning for Snake not getting in are using that as a veil for their true reasoning of, "I don't like Snake/Not Nintendo enough/I can't actually make good points so i'll just use that"
It's funny how Snake would be a totally unrealistic character if he didn't appear in Brawl.

Because he did, though, there's really no rational points against him.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
That, and people who just don't know enough about the situation and still want to give their input. I don't think everyone is trying to undermine Snake, it's just popular to undermine Konami at the moment. I've seen people who said they loved Snake in Brawl, but they stopped supporting him or they don't want him in Smash anymore because of the Konami situation. Same with some of the Bomberman and Simon supporters I've seen.

If someone just doesn't want Snake to come back, that's perfectly fine. But if they wanted Snake to come back, but they decided to stop supporting him because of company troubles that we don't even know the full story about, It's just unfortunate. It's as if some people are voting for a company to be represented rather than the actual character and their legacy.

Sorry if this rant came across as super pro-Snake biased, I just wanted to get it off my chest. I try to consider other viewpoints when I post things like this, so feel free to tell me if my post wasn't open to other opinions.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I love this gem from Snake's original day in the RTC thread.

XenoBrawler610 said:
Want: 0%
I don't hate Snake as a character and I loved playing as him in Brawl, but I don't want him to return at all.
In a game with Nintendo's all-stars, he is far from one in my eyes. Sonic, Mega Man, and even Pac-Man, I can identify them as Nintendo all-stars due to their history with the company; Snake barely has that with Nintendo.
My 0% want also comes from another reason: Bomberman. Snake's cut doesn't mean that he will get in, but the door is open for him slightly. Bomberman is an absolute dream of mine and Snake getting in was a preventing factor since he is now owned by Konami. This cut at least gives me hope for the next game...
It's extremely contradictory.

"I don't hate Snake, but I don't want him to return because I like the "isn't an all-star" cliche used so often and I like Bomberman more, so Snake gone makes me happy because Bomberman has a slightly better chance."

Come the hell on.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
That, and people who just don't know enough about the situation and still want to give their input. I don't think everyone is trying to undermine Snake, it's just popular to undermine Konami at the moment. I've seen people who said they loved Snake in Brawl, but they stopped supporting him or they don't want him in Smash anymore because of the Konami situation. Same with some of the Bomberman and Simon supporters I've seen.
I agreed,some people don't understand it that much and just use it as a reason.

I don't see how people view snake as threat to bomberman or simon, didn't ryu prove you can have 2 characters from the same company? I guess dlc spots are limited, so there's that reason.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I can't see why people want Snake with the same weight as Link. It just doesn't work logicaly:
Link's Equipment
-A Sword
-A Shield
-Bombs
-A Boomerang
-Bow and Arrows

Snake's one
-Grenedes
-Nikita and missils
-C-4
-Chyper
-An RPG
-The Up-Smash Rocket Launcher with its amno
-Mines

Plus Snake have WAY more muscles than Link, and muscles weights even more than fat.

If Snake return, he should (and probably will remain) and heavy character.

I think that the big problen was Iwata's passing. He was the face of the Directs and, as long as they don't find a new face, I sadly think that the Direct will be left in a corner for a while.
I don't know i think he should!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I agreed,some people don't understand it that much and just use it as a reason.

I don't see how people view snake as threat to bomberman or simon, didn't ryu prove you can have 2 characters from the same company? I guess dlc spots are limited, so there's that reason.
It's like Krystal/Wolf and Dixie/Rool bickering. Except in this case, it's a third party competing for a spot, plus the limited DLC.

They're worried about "muhslots" above all, in this case, Snake taking Bomberman or Simon's supposed slot when Konami had their slot removed to begin with.

It's ridiculous. And opinions like the one I quoted just make me dislike it farther.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Pac-man is not a Nintendo all star either, lol. He made his fame in arcade games, and that's what people associate him with. He's a gaming all star, period. Ryu got his start on arCades and a CapCom systema (?), though his beat selling game was an SNES port. Sonic was a Nintendo enemy, and a lot of fans think his Nintendo games are the beginning of his downfall (I disagree but we). Historically, it seems Megaman is the 3rd party with the strongest links to Nintendo. The rest, at their peak, were elsewhere. All got ports to Nintendo consoles, to different degrees.

Tl;dr: Nintendo all star is a nebulous concept with respect to 3rd parties. Remember that before Brawl, 3rd parties were seen as straight up impossible and Sonic was a delusional dream. Snake, as the FIRST third party, was clearly deemed appropriate by Sakurai, who even worked him into SSE, an adventure by Nintendo characters. If he were just a favor to Kojima, I don't think he'd have gotten the prominence he did in the game. So ... stop pretending to know how Sakurai thinks when he's already shown us.

Last edited:

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Tl;dr: Nintendo all star is a nebulous concept with respect to 3rd parties. Remember that before Brawl, 3rd parties were seen as straight up impossible and Sonic was a delusional dream. Snake, as the FIRST third party, was clearly deemed appropriate by Sakurai, who even worked him into SSE, an adventure by Nintendo characters. If he were just a favor to Kojima, I don't think he'd have gotten the prominence he did in the game. So ... stop pretending to know how Sakurai thinks when he's already shown us.
Clearly Masahiro Sakurai is not a Metal Gear fan. He just added Snake as a favor to Kojima and he probably regrets putting Snake in Smash (totally not sarcasm)

Honestly, I don't think Sakurai wanted to cut Snake. This isn't the first time he shown interest in Metal Gear. Heck, he was even featured in a Metal Gear Solid documentary! Snake was probably either low-priority during Smash 4's development, negotiations hit a snag, or there were other conflicts that we don't know about. But none of that really matters at the moment, we just have to keep showing Nintendo that Snake is a good idea for Smash 4 with our continued support.

EDIT: Removed an accidental unfinished sentence that I didn't intend to include in my post. Hopefully it makes a bit more sense now

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
So Konami is asking fans on what they should do with most of their franchises through a survey.

http://mobilesurvey.blicx.com/

So Konami's leaving gaming, right guys? In all seriousness, I can AT LEAST be contempt with Konami asking fans with what they want. There's a lot to choose from (suprisngly, no MGS or Silent Hill option. Possible hint toward the future?).

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So Konami is asking fans on what they should do with most of their franchises through a survey.

So Konami's leaving gaming, right guys? In all seriousness, I can AT LEAST be contempt with Konami asking fans with what they want. There's a lot to choose from (suprisngly, no MGS or Silent Hill option. Possible hint toward the future?).
Just filled it out. Hope it means something.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman

Konami has said they will be focusing more on mobile games in the future but never said they're pulling out of AAA games entirely and even made a statement to reiterate that they will continue to develop AAA games.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/konami...ing-consoles-metal-gear-and-silent-hill-are-e

Furthermore, they've already announced months ago that they've started putting together a team for a "new Metal Gear series". So from the sounds of it they intend to continue Metal Gear but it may be an entirely new series with a new cast of characters.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...es-plan-for-brand-new-metal-gear-solid-series

Top Bottom