• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Also i do want to bring back the Kiefer Sutherland comment where he said he did voicework for Mortal Kombat.
since Ed Boon has denied that completely. Dont recall him being the sort to lie.
We already know actors have mistook smash for other games and vice versa.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
What are your guys thoughts on Snake shouldn't return because Konami ditched Nintendo? I can't think of a good argument to combat this.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
What are your guys thoughts on Snake shouldn't return because Konami ditched Nintendo? I can't think of a good argument to combat this.
T
They didn't really "ditch"
Nintendo. This claim is based of the lack of Wii u support from them. Everyone keeps forgetting konami still supports the 3ds. They recently released a yugioh game for the 3ds this year. Their relationship with konami isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. They've released more games for the 3ds than they have for the vita.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
T
Nintendo. This claim is based of the lack of Wii u support from them. Everyone keeps forgetting konami still supports the 3ds. They recently released a yugioh game for the 3ds this year. Their relationship with konami isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. They've released more games for the 3ds than they have for the vita.
It is worse when Capcom has also "ditched" Nintendo based on their reasoning as they are not releasing Resident Evil Revelations 2 on Wii U. Same goes for Ubisoft, and a lot of people still want Rayman (not bashing Rayman or Mega Man by the way).

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Isn't interesting that they had teased a Duck Hunt trailer without revealing it? There is probably something in it that they don't wnat to show now...and what if, from the had firing on Diddy Kong, we go to Snake doing his Final Smash?!

Yeah, probably not, but a man can dream...

BTW WELCOME BACK, SNAKE THREAD!

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Isn't interesting that they had teased a Duck Hunt trailer without revealing it? There is probably something in it that they don't wnat to show now...and what if, from the had firing on Diddy Kong, we go to Snake doing his Final Smash?!

Yeah, probably not, but a man can dream...

BTW WELCOME BACK, SNAKE THREAD!
IT LIVES!!
Speaking of Final Smashes, with Samus having something like what he had, what would Snake do now? I'm 100% for a Metal Gear.
It is worse when Capcom has also "ditched" Nintendo based on their reasoning as they are not releasing Resident Evil Revelations 2 on Wii U. Same goes for Ubisoft, and a lot of people still want Rayman (not bashing Rayman or Mega Man by the way).
Companies are interests and not best friends. We have to be aware that with a game like smash there would be crossfire where companies meet and it could be our characters getting shot. I doubt Snake got it because of Konami, given previous comments but there is some amount though to it.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
T
Konami releases a few titles for the 3DS every now and then. Not too much, but they have a presence.

Capcom cancelled Mega Man Legends 3.

Pick which one is worse.

And yay, threads alive.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Yeah we already know presence on the system is up to Nintendo themselves and not what the smash community deems worthy. It was the exact case with snake in SSBB. Which is why I just kinda roll my eyes when someone goes "he can't come back because he's not on WiiU" or something silly.

Also konami has been releasing VC titles so if that's good enough for Mega Man it still counts as support.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully, in the next issue of Famitsu, we can see Sakurai's reasoning for putting Mewtwo in other than because of massive fan-demand so that maybe we can take a hint and use that method for Snake

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I actually didn't finish typing that post, I wastyping it on myphone and accidently hit post reply and the browser crashed. This site seriously neeeds a tapatalk.
Anyway to continue what I was saying it's strange that they dont support vita or wii u, as they've put a lot of games on nintendo consoles and sony portables in the past. One can conclude it has to do wit low install base. There was also a leaked metal gear solid game for wii u that was found back in 2012. So there is that as well.
Konami generally releases their Japanese oriented games on the 3ds in japan only, as its popular there. Theres a reason they cant bring more to it. Konami has started developing more games with their brand new amazing fox engine, I doubt the regular 3ds could handle the engine. So you cant expect their console titles on the 3ds.
Im sure if 3rd parties come back to wii u, Konami will be one of them. Nintendo and Konami are close, Konami let a nintendo developer make a mgs game and nintendo let them make mario spin offs. They've supported every nintendo console.

Now, about capcom, they dont do wiiu support anymore for some reason. Their games actually sold well on it too. Yet, no monster hunter or resident evil or street fighter. Watch, they're going to use the money they make of MH4U and use it help fund stret fighter for ps4 and xbone and open a mobile studio. They just use the money they make of nintnedo consoles to develop for others. That's pretty scummy. Megaman thankfully still got in. When arguing with a snake hater, I tell them that snake had a game this gen for nintendo and Megaman didn't. I also tell them capcom barely supports as well.This is what they usually say:
1. Megaman has VC titles
2. Megaman was widley requested and popular character.
The VC point gets annoying, but they dont remember out of all the 3rd parties, konami pumps out the most VC. They bring games from MSX(still no metal gear wtf),turbigraffix, and etc.
If support didnt have anything to do with character selection, megaman got in due to popularity and his iconic status. Snake is also popular and iconic and is still relevant.

I really doubt support got him cut, if it was support, it would have been mid development.
When the roster was being decided, snake eater 3d came out and a metal gear game was leaked for wii u. In 2013, love plus and mirror of fate hit 3ds. It probably wasn't support.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Also i do want to bring back the Kiefer Sutherland comment where he said he did voicework for Mortal Kombat.
since Ed Boon has denied that completely. Dont recall him being the sort to lie.
We already know actors have mistook smash for other games and vice versa.
I'd be okay with both David or Keither. They both capture Snake's personality perfectly.

I can't tell you how often Snake-Haters and Nintendo Purist have used this one against all of us. Frankly, it doesn't matter. Yeah ties with Nintendo can help, but they aren't the end all be all of who's in the game. Mega Man was in purely because of fan demand, despite Capcom not supporting Wii U. Sonic wasn't planned for Brawl and he was added last minute. In fact, when SSB4 was deciding on it's final roster, MGS3DS was just being released. So don't bother yourself with weak argument like these. The people preaching them are heavily biased against Snake for some reason.

IT LIVES!!
Speaking of Final Smashes, with Samus having something like what he had, what would Snake do now? I'm 100% for a Metal Gear.

Companies are interests and not best friends. We have to be aware that with a game like smash there would be crossfire where companies meet and it could be our characters getting shot. I doubt Snake got it because of Konami, given previous comments but there is some amount though to it.
And with you, the Snake thread is now full revived! Welcome back Katty! As for Snake's Final Smash, I'd also love a Metal Gear FS, but which Metal Gear would you want Snake to pilot? I'd prefer REX or RAY.

On the topic of changes to Snake, what new changes would you like to UpB? I'd like to function like it did in PM, where when you deployed it, it canceled all downward momentum and gave you a hitbox.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones I was actually working on that nuclear snake video that you came up in the DLC group.
I did put make any changes this week due to studying and homework, but I worked on it. Looks like I'll need to remove Mewtwo from the "tell the tales of the brothers gone" part. In fact, I need to give it an overhaul so it can look better, it just looks like a slideshow right now.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones I was actually working on that nuclear snake video that you came up in the DLC group.
I did put make any changes this week due to studying and homework, but I worked on it. Looks like I'll need to remove Mewtwo from the "tell the tales of the brothers gone" part. In fact, I need to give it an overhaul so it can look better, it just looks like a slideshow right now.
Cool! Just keep me updated on it.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Cool! Just keep me updated on it.
I'm currently importing the snake model into sfm, so maybe I can actually get some animated sequences.
There are a few parts I need to change, the the whispers in the air part didn't look to good, so mewtwo coming back gives more reason to change it.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Basically I'm trying to go through all of the tired Snake arguments and hear your guys counter arguments. There is also the "Snake doesn't fit" and "he belongs with Somy"

Historical Significance: series has been around since 1987, 2nd oldest 3rd party character.
Popularity: Yes definitely, Metal Gear is considered one of the big 5 franchises in Gaming. I'd argue that he is more popular than Mega Man.
Moveset: Very unique as he is a trap character
History with Nintendo: Now this is the tricky one as Metal Gear does have games on Nintendo systems, he is seen as more of a Sony character.

Also unlike the other 3rd party characters, Metal Gear still makes good games.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
I think that, judging by some of my threads in other forums receiving a lot of positive feedback on Snake being DLC, there is quite a minority of people who want Snake gone now! With some of the most requested characters of all time being (de)confirmed (i.e. Ridley, Mewtwo, Little Mac, Captain Falcon, etc.) I believe people are now looking at Brawl's roster and the only two characters people believe would be best for DLC are Ice Climbers (but probably not coming back anyways due to 3DS limitations) and Snake, who were both unique characters in their own ways. So I'm positive that much more people are wanting to see Snake come back as DLC at this point! Also, quick question, kind of a dumb one at that: During the direct when they were talking about Snake's codecs, couldn't Kojima take action? I don't know how the whole law works for copyrights and such so yeah XD

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I feel like the only thing stopping Snake is the E10 rating, they had to remove trophies just so it could stay E10. I know Snake isn't that violent in Smash but he does use "real" explosives.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the only thing stopping Snake is the E10 rating, they had to remove trophies just so it could stay E10. I know Snake isn't that violent in Smash but he does use "real" explosives.
There's still nothing concrete that confirmed it was snake who caused the T rating. ESRB can rate however they feel that day. Also DLC isn't rated by the ESRB. So if it was snakes inclusion in brawl then him as DLC is the loophole so they can keep the rating.

Spatman

Smash Ace
T
that Yugioh you named is crap :/
aaaand, Wii U is the only home console without PES, that isn't released either on 3DS.
But overall MGS nowadays is a still alive series that is relesed everywhere but nintendo consoles. I don't think relationship between nintendo and konami is so good. Ubisoft at least has published some (many?) recent games on Wii U, and ZombiU is an exclusive

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
that Yugioh you named is crap :/
aaaand, Wii U is the only home console without PES, that isn't released either on 3DS.
But overall MGS nowadays is a still alive series that is relesed everywhere but nintendo consoles. I don't think relationship between nintendo and konami is so good. Ubisoft at least has published some (many?) recent games on Wii U, and ZombiU is an exclusive
You played it? Lol, 2 of the sonic games from the exclusive deal from sega are also crap, does that mean sega and nintendo have a bad relationship?
Can't say anything for wii u, probably due to low install base, but the 3ds might get it as a japan only release. 3DS has 4 pes titles currently. The 3ds also can't handle the fox engine like I said before.
But overall MGS nowadays is a still alive series that is relesed everywhere but nintendo consoles.
http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Solid-Snake-Eater-nintendo-3ds/dp/B002I0EMUO
Ubisoft at least has published some (many?) recent games on Wii U, and ZombiU is an exclusive
After watch dogs there is no more support, they're even bringing the crew to the 360 but not to the wii u.

Cherenando

Smash Apprentice
Didn't we get Snake because of the Twin Snakes?

I mean I know Kojima asked Sakurai to include him but if it were about games Snake is in the same situation he was a few years ago right?

Just a remake on a Nintendo console

of course after you tell that to the typical Snake hater they'll have nothing else to do but change the subject into

"But that Remake was bad"

Just because of the FPS , ignoring all the MAJOR improvements that version had....

C'mon guys we know the FPS drop sometimes but it isn't unplayable , plus it is pretty impresive for the 3DS to even run the game without removing the details that made it so awesome in the PS2

and im not hating on Megaman here I love him , but he got his game cancelled ...
and capcom is releasing RE revelation 2 in the other consoles...
and the next Street fighter wont be on a Nintendo console..

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Didn't we get Snake because of the Twin Snakes?

I mean I know Kojima asked Sakurai to include him but if it were about games Snake is in the same situation he was a few years ago right?

Just a remake on a Nintendo console

of course after you tell that to the typical Snake hater they'll have nothing else to do but change the subject into

"But that Remake was bad"

Just because of the FPS , ignoring all the MAJOR improvements that version had....

C'mon guys we know the FPS drop sometimes but it isn't unplayable , plus it is pretty impresive for the 3DS to even run the game without removing the details that made it so awesome in the PS2

and im not hating on Megaman here I love him , but he got his game cancelled ...
and capcom is releasing RE revelation 2 in the other consoles...
and the next Street fighter wont be on a Nintendo console..
MGS3D ran at the same fps it did on ps2, and no one craps on the ps2 version.
Snake haters will make up their own standards and hold snake to them. When an argument they make against snake can be applied to another 3rd party character, they'll come up with some excuse.

Support isn't the main reason why a character gets in, there are plenty of other factors in deciding a 3rd party character.

I am also glad none of the snake haters run nintendo, cutting a character like this could potentially increase the amount of bad blood with konami, not decrease it. Cutting snake in now way helps their relationship with konami, if anything, putting snake in would increase their relationship better.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
You played it? Lol, 2 of the sonic games from the exclusive deal from sega are also crap, does that mean sega and nintendo have a bad relationship?
Can't say anything for wii u, probably due to low install base, but the 3ds might get it as a japan only release. 3DS has 4 pes titles currently. The 3ds also can't handle the fox engine like I said before.

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Solid-Snake-Eater-nintendo-3ds/dp/B002I0EMUO

After watch dogs there is no more support, they're even bringing the crew to the 360 but not to the wii u.
Yes, I played that game, it's really REALLY bad XD
nothing comparable to the 2 sonic games, trust me. This yugioh isn't a game, it is a disrespect to all yugioh fans and 3ds' owners

seriously are you replying to my sentence "But overall MGS nowadays is a still alive series that is released everywhere but nintendo consoles.", with a 2012 remake, while MGSV will be published everywhere but wii u and so the future games?

Ubisoft will cease the relationship with nintendo wii u untile the sales don't improve, but They were the only western software house that supported actively the console

however, I don't like konami of nowadays, and I don't much attached to Solid Snake, but I have nothing against his eventual inclusion. I still see him as a little bit unappropriate for smash bros (yes, i know you are not agree with this), but I admit he is a interesting character with an unique playstyle. But I guess he won't be in the game, this time

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
nothing comparable to the 2 sonic games, trust me. This yugioh isn't a game, it is a disrespect to all yugioh fans and 3ds' owners

seriously are you replying to my sentence "But overall MGS nowadays is a still alive series that is released everywhere but nintendo consoles.", with a 2012 remake, while MGSV will be published everywhere but wii u and so the future games?

Ubisoft will cease the relationship with nintendo wii u untile the sales don't improve, but They were the only western software house that supported actively the console

however, I don't like konami of nowadays, and I don't much attached to Solid Snake, but I have nothing against his eventual inclusion. I still see him as a little bit unappropriate for smash bros (yes, i know you are not agree with this), but I admit he is a interesting character with an unique playstyle. But I guess he won't be in the game, this time
I heard the Japanese version had more content, they cut some stuff from the us version, I didn't know it was bad, but my point stands that you can't claim the support is bad because the game was bad.

This was what you said:
But overall MGS nowadays is a still alive series that is released everywhere but nintendo consoles.
You never specified you were talking about mgs 5, it sounded like the series as a whole, which is why I showed you a link of mgs3d, because the series as a whole isn't completely ignoring nintendo platforms.

http://nintendoeverything.com/pac-man-museum-cancelled-on-wii-u-3ds/

one of pac-man's games got cancelled for wii u, he's still in.
And there's also this:
http://www.gameinformer.com/blogs/m...-mock-up-quot-is-better-than-nostradamus.aspx

MGS5 probably won't come to wii u(don't rule it out completely though.), but MGS4 didn't come to wii and snake was in brawl. "Promoting" an exclusive to another platform is much more dangerous than promoting a multiplatform game. Most Wii U owners are multi console owners, so the sales of the competing platforms won't increase because snake is in smash.

Snake as DLC won't be as big an advertisement compared to him being in the base game. He could also release after MGS5, so there will be minimal promotion forthe game.

I don't get what you're saying here, but I'm guessing your saying that they'll come back when the install base increases. I could say the same for Konami, they've supported every nintendo console, they'll probably give the wii u some big releases as well.

I understand this, as I don't like Ubisoft anymore. But, I wouldn't be against Rayman joining and such.

ehh, if you read page 104/105 you'll see arguments against him being "unappropriate".

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I don't understand how people say any character doesn't fit in Smash. Kirby doesn't fit in with Metroid, Mario doesn't fit with Fire Emblem. No one fits so everyone fits, if anything, Snake adds the whole modern military aspect in the video game industry to Smash.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I don't understand how people say any character doesn't fit in Smash. Kirby doesn't fit in with Metroid, Mario doesn't fit with Fire Emblem. No one fits so everyone fits, if anything, Snake adds the whole modern military aspect in the video game industry to Smash.
yeah it's a point that's been addressed many times.

Remember the "snake doesn't fit cause he chokes people" debate that went on in this thread?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No one remembers me cause I'm like a ninja, always checking this thread and rarely commenting
I remember you, vaguely, but I do remember some of your posts. Welcome back!

Spatman

Smash Ace
surprisingly, I have changed my mind.
Now I think Snake in Smash Bros isn't only a a favour to Kojima: he is also an honour for the series, like Megaman and Pacman.

It's almost the first time I think this talking about Snake, so I don't know if I will change my mind again. But i guess not

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I'd be okay with both David or Keither. They both capture Snake's personality perfectly.

I can't tell you how often Snake-Haters and Nintendo Purist have used this one against all of us. Frankly, it doesn't matter. Yeah ties with Nintendo can help, but they aren't the end all be all of who's in the game. Mega Man was in purely because of fan demand, despite Capcom not supporting Wii U. Sonic wasn't planned for Brawl and he was added last minute. In fact, when SSB4 was deciding on it's final roster, MGS3DS was just being released. So don't bother yourself with weak argument like these. The people preaching them are heavily biased against Snake for some reason.

And with you, the Snake thread is now full revived! Welcome back Katty! As for Snake's Final Smash, I'd also love a Metal Gear FS, but which Metal Gear would you want Snake to pilot? I'd prefer REX or RAY.

On the topic of changes to Snake, what new changes would you like to UpB? I'd like to function like it did in PM, where when you deployed it, it canceled all downward momentum and gave you a hitbox.
REX would be good because he piloted it in MGS4 but I think ZEKE would work too, particularly given that it's more recent. Or we could have an army of GEKOS! Oh the possibilities!
I seriously think that we could have the box instead of just a taunt but instead as like move, it could act like a shield, taking a hit. If Snake hits out of the box than he'll get a damage boost, I could totally see him able to move and turtle around in it.
If I'm not wrong than in Brawl after Snake stopped using the cipher he didn't go into free fall, just couldn't use the cipher again. which I think pissed me off to no end. Alt moves could include a shorter range but better control. We could also have a fulton recovery again instead of cipher.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
God damn that thread I made is a crap fest.
http://smashboards.com/posts/17855457/

Further reason to never leave the Snake thread.
Same people grasping at straws were in the same boat when other characters weren't announced.
No discussion just **** flows in that thread.
Just let it go. Crap like that happens all the time on the internet, wether it's Smashboards or PSN. I know whet you feel, sometimes all the hate can get to you and sometimes it does get to me as well. Just realize the people being hostile to you are probably insecure about something in their real lives. Also, I just noticed your profile pic and it is awesome!

REX would be good because he piloted it in MGS4 but I think ZEKE would work too, particularly given that it's more recent. Or we could have an army of GEKOS! Oh the possibilities!
I seriously think that we could have the box instead of just a taunt but instead as like move, it could act like a shield, taking a hit. If Snake hits out of the box than he'll get a damage boost, I could totally see him able to move and turtle around in it.
If I'm not wrong than in Brawl after Snake stopped using the cipher he didn't go into free fall, just couldn't use the cipher again. which I think pissed me off to no end. Alt moves could include a shorter range but better control. We could also have a fulton recovery again instead of cipher.
I agree. The grab release glitch was insane and should be fixed. REX is also my front-runner for a new Final Smash. What customizable special would you guys like to see?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

Same people grasping at straws were in the same boat when other characters weren't announced.
Well, that's the internet for ya, especially if you're on Facebook. Some tend to take people's opinions way too seriously and then start making excuses just to create tension like they got nothing else better to do in life. :/

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

The straw grasping comeback in that thread is being so overused to the point where I don't find it funny anymore.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Just let it go. Crap like that happens all the time on the internet, wether it's Smashboards or PSN. I know whet you feel, sometimes all the hate can get to you and sometimes it does get to me as well. Just realize the people being hostile to you are probably insecure about something in their real lives. Also, I just noticed your profile pic and it is awesome!

I agree. The grab release glitch was insane and should be fixed. REX is also my front-runner for a new Final Smash. What customizable special would you guys like to see?
I imagine moves like the remote missile would see alts similar to Zelda's Din's Fire given that the moves are actually rather similar. Zelda has (dubbed Din Sniping by moi) a very long ranged and fast Din's, along with a slower, shorter ranged but much larger Din's. Grenades could get alts like stun and smoke, something I believe we already discussed and C4 could get different effects, like maybe it'll go off at a random point or something like that or Snake could lay down more.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
If Snake returns, how does everyone imagine Pit's "Palutena's Guidance" dialog would go for him?

I keep imagining Otacon talking to Palutena and Pit about him, somehow over the codec. "Angels and Goddesses? This is just like one of my Japanese animes!"

Sleep grenades and an RPG missile that launches straight forward.

Top Bottom