• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Every 3rd party character is revealed before launch for marketing purposes. If we don't see him at E3, he's done. I would't hold your breath.

And since we're discussing it, why does everyone want Pac Man? He hasn't been relevant since god knows when and has little history with Nintendo.
It seems that it's less like they want Pac Man and more like they expect him; even though Sakurai's said that Namco-Bandai characters won't get special priority over other third-party characters, they'd be in the best position to get one into Smash Bros. if they wanted to, and Pac Man is the company mascot.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice

While we're on the subject of Pac-Man, the two characters would actually complement each other nicely seeing as Metal Gear is basically just a highly evolved version of Pac-Man itself.
Wut
Its sort of true, the idea of both games is to remain away from enemies that can kill you pretty easily (much truer in the early stages of MGS1 and the original MSX games since you had a lot less health) while getting objectives completed.
And then later you can get power ups to kill enemies that were earlier a bother (Snakes guns and Pac-mans... death orb?)

It seems that it's less like they want Pac Man and more like they expect him; even though Sakurai's said that Namco-Bandai characters won't get special priority over other third-party characters, they'd be in the best position to get one into Smash Bros. if they wanted to, and Pac Man is the company mascot.
I'd much rather have Lloyd from TOSymphonia, not just because he's a cool Namco character but his attacks just work for Smash Bros.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Every 3rd party character is revealed before launch for marketing purposes. If we don't see him at E3, he's done. I would't hold your breath.

And since we're discussing it, why does everyone want Pac Man? He hasn't been relevant since god knows when and has little history with Nintendo.
The theory is that Pac-Man's chances are because Namco is helping out with this iteration of Smash despite mentions that they lave no priority. Of course, for all we know, this could be a coverup. Same with Kojima's statement from months ago. That said, the first part I agree with. If Snake doesn't get revealed at E3, he's not coming back. Period.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
With Ike returning today its safe to say No Characters are Cut from brawl

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
With Ike returning today its safe to say No Characters are Cut from brawl
Almost agreed. With Ike in, I'd say it'd be very frustrating to see characters like Ike, Toon Link, and Lucario in over characters like Snake (I swear, if there's no Snake, I'm going to get to angry), Lucas, ROB, etc.
However, I don't believe that Ivysaur and Squirtle will be coming back.

Last edited:

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Almost agreed. With Ike in, I'd say it'd be very frustrating to see characters like Ike, Toon Link, and Lucario in over characters like Snake (I swear, if there's no Snake, I'm going to get to angry), Lucas, ROB, etc.
However, I don't believe that Ivysaur and Squirtle will be coming back.
I believe Sakurai said that they couldn't add everyone, even though he wanted to.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I believe Sakurai said that they couldn't add everyone, even though he wanted to.
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-not-enough-time-to-bring-back-every-smash-bros-character/

The quote is kind of vague, in that it could refer to every character who's ever been playable in the series up to this point (including the five characters who were cut from Melee). I don't know if that's the case or not, but I agree that it will be frustrating if characters like Toon Link get in over Snake.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-not-enough-time-to-bring-back-every-smash-bros-character/

The quote is kind of vague, in that it could refer to every character who's ever been playable in the series up to this point (including the five characters who were cut from Melee). I don't know if that's the case or not, but I agree that it will be frustrating if characters like Toon Link get in over Snake.
Now that I think about it, yeah, that was a bit... vague. But something that makes me want to keep believing is that they're using Brawl as the base. Meaning they would most likely just have to modify appearances of moves, etc. which shouldn't be too hard. And Sakurai stated that he's "not going to fully recreate the characters" in which I assume he's not making them from scratch, which further supports no cuts from Brawl. Hopefully there's more clarification once E3 hits and interviews come in.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
It should also be noted that Sakurai didn't necessarily want snake in at all in the first place. Snake was added because Kojima "practically begged" him, not because Sakurai wanted him or a large number of fans wanted him. That's why I don't see him being that high up in the pecking order.

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
It should also be noted that Sakurai didn't necessarily want snake in at all in the first place. Snake was added because Kojima "practically begged" him, not because Sakurai wanted him or a large number of fans wanted him. That's why I don't see him being that high up in the pecking order.
It seems you're basing this on the word choice of "practically begged," something Sakurai said through a translator while describing Kojima's effort to get Snake into Melee late in its development. Nobody here knows exactly what that means, or how the Metal Gear deal went down during Brawl's development, or how that really pertains to Smash 4. I wouldn't be drawing any conclusions yet.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Uuuuuhhhhh..... wat. Sakurai is a Metal Gear fan. And, as numerously stated by many, Sakurai and Kojima are buds. And this:
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/241035975759904768

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying that it
Uuuuuhhhhh..... wat. Sakurai is a Metal Gear fan. And, as numerously stated by many, Sakurai and Kojima are buds. And this:
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/241035975759904768
Didn't know about that. I still stand by what I said about Snake being last in the pecking order though. If it comes down to pretty much any Brawl vet vs. Snake, Snake is going out the door. The only way I can see him staying is if every other Brawl vet manages to make it.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Come on, you guys. Do you really think Snake will get the boot after all the content Metal Gear received in Brawl? Every character that got cut in the past barely had any presence (stages, items, etc...) in the game aside from being playable. I have a hard time believing Sakurai would throw away all the work he put into fitting the character in Smash just like that.

The better question is, will Solid Snake return or will his pops replace him this time around?

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Come on, you guys. Do you really think Snake will get the boot after all the content Metal Gear received in Brawl? Every character that got cut in the past barely had any presence (stages, items, etc...) in the game aside from being playable. I have a hard time believing Sakurai would throw away all the work he put into fitting the character in Smash just like that.

The better question is, will Solid Snake return or will his pops replace him this time around?
Bingo. Nailed it. There are many who still haven't figured this out. If Sakurai does decide to waste all that work... then there's some serious issues here.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman

The only character that didn't really have any presence was Roy. The rest had a decent amount at least.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly; I can't help but feel as though I am counting Snake out. He has been the only character that I have asserted to be cut (aside from Pokemon Trainer). I am going to feel like an ass if and when he is confirmed.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Honestly; I can't help but feel as though I am counting Snake out. He has been the only character that I have asserted to be cut (aside from Pokemon Trainer). I am going to feel like an *** if and when he is confirmed.
I think what's really doing it for me is the fact that we haven't seen anything of him yet. Like I said before, 3rd parties are always revealed before release for marketing and promotional purposes. They made a huge deal about him being in Brawl, and even Sonic got revealed for Smash 4 despite him probably being unlockable. No word on snake. No stages, items, etc.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I think what's really doing it for me is the fact that we haven't seen anything of him yet. Like I said before, 3rd parties are always revealed before release for marketing and promotional purposes. They made a huge deal about him being in Brawl, and even Sonic got revealed for Smash 4 despite him probably being unlockable. No word on snake. No stages, items, etc.
I think that's why everybody is saying that if he doesn't turn up at E3, then he's not turning up at all. E3 would be the perfect time to reveal both Snake and Pac-Man.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
If Sakurai didn't want Snake in the game at all then he would not have added him. Obviously he was won over to the idea if he went through that much effort to implement him in the first place and he has since expressed that he has no regrets about his inclusion. And then we should note, if we're talking about lack of fan support, that Snake is wanted by a large number of fans for this game.

I'm starting to doubt Snake too, probably because he might not be envisioned as a "cut" so much as a non-returning guest character. I hope I am wrong about that and that was see him at E3. Keeping us waiting would be typical of Snake.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Say what you want, I still believe that Snake will be in the game. He is, one of the most unique characters in the game, after all.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
With the recent leak, it looks like Snake AND Pac Man have a high chance! So far, no one has proven this one wrong (yet) but still, this is exciting!:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
W-where did you get this?! What is this? Explain, young sire!
It was just barely discovered on 4chan! Okay, yeah, bad site, but this looks pretty legit. I mean, the layout looks very similar to some of the menus shown in the direct. As well as the fact that the font is perfect.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
It was just barely discovered on 4chan! Okay, yeah, bad site, but this looks pretty legit. I mean, the layout looks very similar to some of the menus shown in the direct. As well as the fact that the font is perfect.
4chan, eh? Hmm...it looks very realistic...there's at least 31 spaces left, assuming the other confirmed characters are all on there...

...I'm getting hyped. I think this is real.

EDIT: The only thing at this moment in time that could deconfirm it is Marth's head poking out of the selected box.

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I don't find anything particularly convincing about it personally. It's something somebody reasonably skilled could easily whip up in photoshop.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I just had a thought that there's really no reason for Snake to be cut except for one (crucial) reason that could go either way.. Let's look at all possible influences.

I doubt Sakurai cares about purity or whatever (he wouldn't have gotten Sonic and Mega Man lol). If Snake is cut, do you really think he just sat down and thought "we don't need Snake so let's cut him."? Considering his distaste of cutting character and friendship with Kojima, obviously not.
Kojima ad Konami have no reason to refuse. This is free publicity, and Kojima has wanted Snake in Smash since Melee. Kojima's comment actually makes me think Snake got in because it sounded too playful and playing with our minds...you know, what he always do.
It all hinges on Nintendo's permission. It's 50/50 because if they gave him the OK before, so it's not like they necessarily care a character that isn't so associated with Nintendo (like Sonic lol) is gonna get in Smash. (It's a benefit actually, some will buy the game for Snake.) On the other hand Nintendo was winning the market so they didn't have anything to loss were as they're in a big decline now, but the thing is Snake isn't exclusive to Sony anymore so there really isn't much lose. MGSV's character is Big Boss, not Solid Snake.

A big thing going for Snake's inclusion right now is that he hasn't been deconfirmed yet. You'd think if a big third party character who has been a Smash game before got cut we'd already know that by now. There's no reason to keep people in the dark about it if he isn't in, Sakurai could easily just downright say he won't because there's no loss in that and no benefit from keeping his exclusion a secret.

I'm confident in his return, but at the same time, Nintendo could say no.

Last edited:

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I don't doubt he'll get in if there's time, the issue is that he's probably low priority compared to first party vets. If it's a matter of Ice Climbers vs. Snake, Mr. Game and Watch vs. Snake, etc, he's gone.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Your first mistake is comparing a third party character to a first party.

If it was Ice Climbers vs Sonic you'd bet Ice Climbers would get in. But thankfully first parties don't have any influence on third parties.

Last edited:

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Your first mistake is comparing a third party character to a first party.

If it was Ice Climbers vs Sonic you'd bet Ice Climbers would get in. But thankfully first parties don't have any influence on third parties.
True, but Sonic was added because of fan demand. He was a pretty popular addition to Brawl. Snake was a perfectly valid addition, but the fact remains that he mainly got in because Sakurai's friendship with Kojima. Perhaps I should have said it could be a matter of Sonic vs. Snake. That's a whole other story.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
True, but Sonic was added because of fan demand. He was a pretty popular addition to Brawl. Snake was a perfectly valid addition, but the fact remains that he mainly got in because Sakurai's friendship with Kojima. Perhaps I should have said it could be a matter of Sonic vs. Snake. That's a whole other story.
And now we have their friendship and a large group of Smash fans who want him back.

I doubt he would be "low priority" in the sense of time. A third party seems like the kind of thing you'd negotiate as soon as possible, and he probably wouldn't be thrown out if they bothered with the licensing. Seems like he'd either simply be in or out, rather than "maybe if we have time".

.Lucina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5327-1598-3487
I'm trying to think of a reason why Snake shouldn't be in, and the only thing I can come up with is if Nintendo or Kojima refused. (Kojima wants him in, so he won't refuse) He fits the criteria, as well.
1. The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.
-Metal Gear fans.
2.The character must be unique,
-One of the most unique in Smash history.
3.The character must fit into the style of Smash Bros.
-He was in Brawl, so obviously he fits.
4.They must contribute to game balance.
-Ok I honestly have no idea how to determine this.

Also, Kojima's comment gives Snake a better chance in my eyes. If Snake IS in the game, Kojima couldn't outright say it. But if Snake wasn't in the game, there is nothing stopping him from saying so. Personally, I think Snake has a great chance of getting in, but if he isn't shown at E3 his chances will be lowered.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I know this is going into old territory and many here are already in agreement with it but as somebody has noted on another board, this image seems to work as a good proof of concept that Snake could work with the style used in Smash 4. Ike appears reasonably anatomically correct and seems to have a "gritty" appearance like Snake would be expected to have. If Ike can work it hardly seems impossible for Snake to work.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I know this is going into old territory and many here are already in agreement with it but as somebody has noted on another board, this image seems to work as a good proof of concept that Snake could work with the style used in Smash 4. Ike appears reasonably anatomically correct and seems to have a "gritty" appearance like Snake would be expected to have. If Ike can work it hardly seems impossible for Snake to work.
Yea. They can have him look like this from Twin Snakes

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Here's Another Reason I think Snake is going to in Smash Bros U/3DS. He wasn't in PSASBR they put Raiden instead of him why Raiden tho. Cause Snake is in Smash Bros

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Here's Another Reason I think Snake is going to in Smash Bros U/3DS. He wasn't in PSASBR they put Raiden instead of him why Raiden tho. Cause Snake is in Smash Bros
I actually think this is a good point. People have kind of forgotten about this, but when Raiden but no Snake was in PSASBR, everybody assumed it was because Snake "belonged" to Smash already. I'm staying optimistic guys, I think he might be okay.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I think everybody from Brawl except Ivy and Squirt will return in Smash 4...so that too means Solid Snake, Besides Sakurai said he liked Brawl's roster...which has Snake in it.

Top Bottom