• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I have been doing the last 85, but something occured to me the other day

How will I know who is a supporter from the first 85 pages if they repost they want to be added to the list on the second 85?
That doesn't make much sense to me. I just anyone who says positive things about Snake like "I hope Snake returns" or " Snake has a good chance". How far are you as well? I'm on pg. 6. School has been time consuming.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I fail see how Ryu making it smash will do any of that you guys seem to think Ryu getting in will automatically pave the way for snake to get in he won't.
A lot of reasoning used against Snake is applicable to Ryu. It's true that Ryu's inclusion does not make Snake's any more likely, but reasons commonly cited against Snake, such as relevancy on Nintendo consoles, and doubts of third party DLC are made null.

Considering that Capcom is supporting Nintendo far more than Konami is at the moment Ryu getting into smash doesn't surprise me,and although street fighter series hasn't had many games on Nintendo consoles. It's quite convenient how you people forget that Ryu has appeared on Nintendo consoles through crossovers.
Ryu appearing on Nintendo consoles through crossovers doesn't exactly match the caliber of Snake appearing in Smash.

SNK vs Capcom, Project X Zone and Tatsunoko vs Capcom are Ryu's listed crossover games on Nintendo consoles from my research. Neither game features Ryu interacting with Nintendo characters, only company licensed characters from SNK, Sega, Capcom, Namco and Tatsunoko. In none of these games has Ryu interacted with the likes of Mario or other Nintendo characters.

By comparison, Snake's appearances on Nintendo systems have their games directly reference Nintendo and Mario. The Twin Snakes has both a GameCube Easter Egg and Mario/Yoshi bobbleheads that can be interacted with. Psycho Mantis, the boss famous for reading Memory Cards, directly references Super Mario Sunshine, The Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros. Melee(ironically, Twin Snakes was released after Melee, making this some pretty sneaky foreshadowing in context) in addition to Eternal Darkness if you have save data for any of these on your GC Memory Card. The remake of Snake Eater on the 3DS has the Kerotan frogs, all of which need to be shot to unlock the Stealth Camo, replaced with Yoshis. These alone are much bigger interactions with Nintendo than Ryu simply being on a Nintendo console.

Ironically enough, the times Ryu has crossed over, it's been more on opposing game systems than Nintendo. The previously mentioned SNK line has been on more non-Nintendo systems than it has on Nintendo systems. NamcoxCapcom was a PS2 exclusive. Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix was a crossover with other Capcom characters...on the PS1. Marvel vs Capcom has never touched a Nintendo console. SFxT was on PS3, 360 and PC. A Ryu costume is available in LittleBigPlanet for the PS3. Asura's Wrath, also on the PS3 and 360, featured a DLC episode where Asura fights both (Evil) Ryu and Akuma/Oni. So Ryu is a crossover guy, in a way, but on competing systems.

And of course, unlike Ryu, Snake has directly interacted with Nintendo's All-Stars. Brawled with them, if you will. Name me one official, company made instance where Ryu goes face to face with Mario in any way. Note that Ryu has gone face to face with Mega Man(SFxMM, SFxT) and Pac-Man(SFxT), but never Mario.

*tick tock*

Seems you can't.

:snake:

Simply because Ryu gets in doesn't mean he is promoting Street Fighter V he could be used to promote Project X zone 2.
Characters have never been added to Smash for promotional reasons up to now. I'm going to cite an analysis in the RTC thread by user Delzethin that disproves the misconception that Roy was added to Melee for promotional reasons. In the context of your quote, this matters. Smash has never been about promotion, it's about celebrating Nintendo's history. And Snake has contributed far more to that history in the long run than Ryu.

Can I call attention to something? In the context of today, it's important.

The story of the Melee clones is pretty well known now. As the game neared the end of development, Sakurai felt the roster was lacking. He gave the go-ahead to work on clones of six characters already on the roster, because they could pull it off in the time it'd take to program one fully unique character (rumor has it it would've been King Dedede) and it'd give them the means to satisfy more of the fans' requests.

Some potential clones were switched out for others in this process. Wolf was originally going to be the Fox clone, but when concerns rose about him looking too similar to Fox they decided to go with Falco instead. Wario was planned as the Mario clone, but they went with Doc instead after Sakurai brought up that it didn't do Wario justice to be stuck as a clone. And the Marth clone was going to be Leif...until Sakurai went to get the OK from Intelligent Systems. That was when--as said in a Famitsu magazine a while later--they showed him a character from a game still a few months away from release, and suggested he'd be more visually distinct than Leif. Sakurai agreed, and Roy was added in Leif's stead.

In other words, Roy actually wasn't added to Melee for promotional reasons. That also means no character has ever been added to a Smash game for promotional reasons.
I welcome your counter argument as always. Just be respectful.

Last edited:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
That doesn't make much sense to me. I just anyone who says positive things about Snake like "I hope Snake returns" or " Snake has a good chance". How far are you as well? I'm on pg. 6. School has been time consuming.
I thought you agreed to take the first 80, me the second 80, and everything after that was up to someone else.

I'm on page 85 right now, but don't have my list handy, its saved on a home computer.

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
A lot of reasoning used against Snake is applicable to Ryu. It's true that Ryu's inclusion does not make Snake's any more likely, but reasons commonly cited against Snake, such as relevancy on Nintendo consoles, and doubts of third party DLC are made null.

Ryu appearing on Nintendo consoles through crossovers doesn't exactly match the caliber of Snake appearing in Smash.

it's about celebrating Nintendo's history. And Snake has contributed far more to that history in the long run than Ryu.

I welcome your counter argument as always. Just be respectful.
it seems you missed the point of my argument the reason I mentioned crossovers is to counter your argument about the relevance of Ryu's appearances on Nintendo consoles, that was the whole point since anytime someone on this board mentions Ryu they automatically assume his last game on a Nintendo console was Street fighter 2. Also please enlighten me on how snake has contributed more to Nintendo's history than Ryu when the latter has far more appearances on Nintendo consoles.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I thought you agreed to take the first 80, me the second 80, and everything after that was up to someone else.

I'm on page 85 right now, but don't have my list handy, its saved on a home computer.
Sounds good. I have my list on my iPhone.

We did. I saved my list on my iPhone, so I'm a little more mobile.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
it seems you missed the point of my argument the reason I mentioned crossovers is to counter your argument about the relevance of Ryu's appearances on Nintendo consoles, that was the whole point since anytime someone on this board mentions Ryu they automatically assume his last game on a Nintendo console was Street fighter 2. Also please enlighten me on how snake has contributed more to Nintendo's history than Ryu when the latter has far more appearances on Nintendo consoles.
-Metal Gear on NES was on the best selling game on that console
-Metal Gear: Ghost Babel is considered one of the best GBC games (and one of the best MG in general)
-Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes was one of the few big TP release/exclusive titles on the GC
-Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater was one of the few big TP games announced for the 3DS at its launch.

Plus:

:snake: got in Smash (Nintendo's All Stars focused game) way before :4megaman::4pacman::4sonic: and Ruy, opening the door for them to join.

Besides SFII (and its grab-money re-release), Ryu games on Nintendo platforms are niche (and sometimes even multi-platforms) crossover where he isn't even the main character, and those games surely can't be classified as "the best on their platform".

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Final E3 Week Smash Direct prediction:
The newcomer reveal cutscene plays, Street Fighter music is playing in the background of Final Destination.
Its A Mii. Dressed as Ryu.
Suddenly, The Fire Emblem theme plays in the background.
Its a Mii. Dressed as Roy.
Suddenly, Theme of Tara plays in the background.
Its a Mii, dressed as Big Boss.
All 3 Mii's get smashed after being shot at by a grenade launcher.
Solid Snake falls onto the stage and says"Kept ya waiting, huh?"
:snake: SOLID SNAKE SNEAKS IN!

*Gameplay trailer*
Sakurai and Kojima both appear at the end of the video saying "Did you like it?"
SmashBoards blows up and crashes, Mii fighter hate intensifies, Snake fans are happy, and Sakurai gets a reward for his Kojima level trolling :troll:

Why do people just assume Smash exists to advertise other games?
This, this,this.
I think someone mentioned this in the thread before, but Snake going in representing his series isn't really advertising anyway. MGS4 was PS3's upcoming killer app at the time of Brawl, but when we think of it, its not really "advertised" in Brawl. Snake represents his full series with the Shadow Moses stage, a soundtrack (note: Only 1 is from MGS4), and a character design that mixes his MGS1 and 3 looks, as opposed to going in with an MGS4 stage and Old Snake design. Kind of like how the only thing Pac-Man really has for him atm is Ghostly Adventures, yet instead of shoehorning that design in for promotion we have the original. The way Smash Bros did it with Snake and Pac-Man is completely different to the way PASBR did it with most of their characters, that was an advertisement.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Also please enlighten me on how snake has contributed more to Nintendo's history than Ryu when the latter has far more appearances on Nintendo consoles.
By appearance/reference alone, let's count them.

Snake's appearances on Nintendo consoles:

Metal Gear - NES
Snake's Revenge - NES
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake -MSX(but received a Virtual Console port on the Wii)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel - Game Boy Color
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes - Nintendo GameCube
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - Nintendo 3DS
Super Smash Bros Brawl - Nintendo Wii
Dream Mix TV: World Fighters - Nintendo GameCube
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django - Game Boy Advance
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia(by virtue of reference) - Nintendo DS
Scriblenauts(surprising, right?) - Nintendo 3DS(Japanese version only)
New International Track & Field - Nintendo DS
Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials to Glory: World Chanpionship - Game Boy Advance
Evolution Skateboarding - Nintendo GameCube

Total: 14

Ryu's appearances on Nintendo consoles:

Street Fighter II (SNES)
-Super Street Fighter II (SNES)
-Super Street Fighter II Turbo (GBA)

Street Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (GBA)

Street Fighter Alpha (GBA)
-Street Fighter Alpha II (SNES)
-Alpha II(GBA)

Super Street Fighter IV (3DS)

Project X Zone (3DS)

Tatsunoko vs Capcom (3DS)

SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters DS( NDS)

Total: 12

Factually, by numbers alone, Ryu has not had more appearances on Nintendo consoles than Snake, making this statement erroneous.

it seems you missed the point of my argument the reason I mentioned crossovers is to counter your argument about the relevance of Ryu's appearances on Nintendo consoles, that was the whole point since anytime someone on this board mentions Ryu they automatically assume his last game on a Nintendo console was Street fighter 2.
You're right, his last game on a Nintendo console wasn't Street Fighter 2.

On a non-portable console, at least.

That would be Super Street Fighter IV on the 3DS as late as 2011.

Metal Gear, however, had it's last titles on non-portable Nintendo consoles much more recently compared to Street Fighter.

Compare Street Fighter Alpha(1996) to The Twin Snakes(2004).

Arguments welcome.

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
if seems like your bias is showing if a mere mention counts as an appearance, however let me correct your erroneous game count
these are the games Ryu has made appearances on Nintendo consoles.
Street Fighter II championship edition (VC)
Street Fighter II (SNES)
Super Street Fighter II (SNES)
Street Fighter II (GB)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES)
Street Fighter Alpha Warriors dreams (GBC)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival (GBA)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (GBA)
Capcom vs SNK 2 E0 (GC)
Super puzzle fighter 2 Turbo (GBA)
SNK Vs Capcom Card fighters (NDS)
We love Golf (WII) This one counts right? since Ryu does have a cameo appearance and you used a Yugioh game.
Taksunoko VS Capcom (Wii)
Fighting street (VC)
Super street fighter IV (3DS)
Project X zone (3DS)
Project X zone 2 (3DS)

I count 17 games you do realize project x zone released in 2013 I mean we are talking about Ryu and not his series where as snake eater 3d released in 2012.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
if seems like your bias is showing if a mere mention counts as an appearance, however let me correct your erroneous game count
these are the games Ryu has made appearances on Nintendo consoles.
Street Fighter II championship edition (VC)
Street Fighter II (SNES)
Super Street Fighter II (SNES)
Street Fighter II (GB)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES)
Street Fighter Alpha Warriors dreams (GBC)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival (GBA)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (GBA)
Capcom vs SNK 2 E0 (GC)
Super puzzle fighter 2 Turbo (GBA)
SNK Vs Capcom Card fighters (NDS)
We love Golf (WII) This one counts right? since Ryu does have a cameo appearance and you used a Yugioh game.
Taksunoko VS Capcom (Wii)
Fighting street (VC)
Super street fighter IV (3DS)
Project X zone (3DS)
Project X zone 2 (3DS)

I count 17 games you do realize project x zone released in 2013 I mean we are talking about Ryu and not his series where as snake eater 3d released in 2012.
EDIT: Redacted.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
While I concede being wrong this time, I was referring to main series games when I mentioned the last game thing. Of course PXZ came out afterwards, but that's a crossover.

And of course people are biased, they want to defend their character. It's kind of natural to expect that when wishing for DLC, and it doesn't just apply to Snake.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
All this feels like deja vu to me! is @ Thebluecomet Thebluecomet on our side or not? i thought he made amends with us all? Meanwhile... There is a mini Smash direct coming Sunday i doubt they could annouce Snake but maybe a tease? I know this is probably old news but did anybody pay close attention to the Lucas trailer? Where Lucas's threw his snake at one of the AT (yes i don't know his name, i did but forgot it's been a decade since i've been back in action, like Big Boss is in TPP lol) You think that could n=be teasing something? Kojima did retweet that tweet something that all of us would be going insane over if it was back Summer of 2014!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Snake is welcomed back with open arms as long as sack ah potatoes fixes his hitboxes.
Especially with no SDI in smash 4, imagine trying to get out of his brawl stuff like ftilt or nair.

The number 21 makes me think of 2 things.
1st being the legal age to drink, 2nd Snake''s ftilt damage.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
All this feels like deja vu to me! is @ Thebluecomet Thebluecomet on our side or not? i thought he made amends with us all? Meanwhile... There is a mini Smash direct coming Sunday i doubt they could annouce Snake but maybe a tease? I know this is probably old news but did anybody pay close attention to the Lucas trailer? Where Lucas's threw his snake at one of the AT (yes i don't know his name, i did but forgot it's been a decade since i've been back in action, like Big Boss is in TPP lol) You think that could n=be teasing something? Kojima did retweet that tweet something that all of us would be going insane over if it was back Summer of 2014!
I think there's an OK chance of seeing him during the upcoming Smash "Direct". I expect to see Wolf and Roy, maybe Ryu, although I'm not totally convinced that he's going to be in the game, anyway.

Either way, this "Direct" is coming out the day E3 begins. You can consider this the E3 Smash Bros. Press Conference, in my opinion. I expect anything and everything Smash related will be shown that day with the Digital Event highlighting everything else. I could be wrong though the Direct could be nothing but stuff we already know.

I'm going to make a prediction right now. Wolf, Snake, and Roy in the Direct thing. Ryu at the Digital Event... Maybe.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think this whole Ryu business will all lead up to a gag in the reveal trailer where Snake uses his bandana to pose as Ryu's silhouette.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Personally, I think this whole Ryu business will all lead up to a gag in the reveal trailer where Snake uses his bandana to pose as Ryu's silhouette.
That would be the most Kojima thing ever. I almost want it to happen.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Apparently Hayter losing his mind for the past 18 months had led up to this

image.jpg

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Personally, I think a Snake vs Ryu trailer would be awesome. Battle of the bandannas.
I don't see it as much of an impossibility either, honestly. If Ryu's possible, Snake sure as hell is, and he'll definitely want revenge on the other 3rd parties for making it in before him.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I don't see it as much of an impossibility either, honestly. If Ryu's possible, Snake sure as hell is, and he'll definitely want revenge on the other 3rd parties for making it in before him.
It's cool, since "revenge" is the main theme of MGSV:TPP.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Pretty much every topic on this board is hoping for their character to be revealed Sunday, though I'm truthfully going in expecting Snake and/or Wolf, even if its mostly being hopeful. Would most likely be excited for whoever it ends up being anyway. I think 2 character reveals can very much happen next week as well, even if one of them is revealed Mewtwo style.
(NB4Snake character model revealed Mewtwo style, the camera starts at his butt. :troll:)

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
It should be noted that in japan, the direct takes place at almost midnight. One could say that's only because of e3, but who's to say it's because we'll be getting a charcter more popular in America than japan?

And we all know who that would be...

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
It should be noted that in japan, the direct takes place at almost midnight. One could say that's only because of e3, but who's to say it's because we'll be getting a charcter more popular in America than japan?

And we all know who that would be...
Who? I really don't know...are you talking about Snake? He is farly popular (and request) in Japan.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
And Revenge was the main theme of MGRR. Raiden confirmed?:troll:
And revenge was the main theme of snake's revenge(well, that's what it says in the title.)

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think almost everyone will me when I say Snake's Revenge is only good for citing his existance on Nintendo Consoles.
Actually, it is a fine game. Not even close to other MG games' quality, but it still enjoyable.
Kojima himself is also of this opinion.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think almost everyone will me when I say Snake's Revenge is only good for citing his existance on Nintendo Consoles.
It's not that bad. It's got a kick ass soundtrack(like all metal gear games). The level design is pretty goo. It is very simiar to the original metal gear on the msx. It's pretty difficult though.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones Here are the first 10 pages. Listed anyone who voiced a positive opinion of Snake, as well as their fist post on this thread.

Ralph Cecil (post #18)[
Golden Yuiitusin (post #26)
G~P (post #32)
yani (post #37)
shinpichu (post #39)
LaniusShrike (post #43)
Ridley_Prime (post #48)
Mocha (post #53)
HarryTheChin (post #55)
ZombieVito (post #57)
volbound1700 (post #59)
Gormanbros (post #60)
I_hate_usernames (post #61)
Phan7om (post #92)
Tetra's Tracker (post # 94)
Kapus (post #97)
MSonicMario (post #98)
MSmariosonic (post #104)
No Control (post #109)
Z1GMA (post #125)
Frostwraith (post #133)
Xethos (post #144)
8-peacock-8 (post #149)
greenluigiman2 (post #176)
TCT~Phantom (post #180)
BlueSorrow (post #183)
ChaosSoul (post #223)
BlueSorrow (post #224
Simensis (post #232)
CroonerMike (post #239)
Kirks21 (post #244)
MorbidAltruism (post #254)
KMAL (post #279)
JamesDNaux (post #282)
Muster (post #289)
Megadoomer (post #292)
Vintage Creep (post #313)
Tornado_Man (post #371)
AncientArk (post #380)
Mega Bidoof (post #398)

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Monday, Monday, Monday! Er... not really worth a warning, it's just Big Boss covered in blood, the "horn" a bit longer, and Big Boss looking more and more like a demon. Yongyea's update video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFZlu-dotA4.

Big Boss isn't child friendly nor is Raiden... But at least Solid Snake never done anything extreme! :awesome:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I just played Brawl again for the first time since SSB3DS's launch, it felt so glorious playing Snake again. And that adventure mode level where you first play as him made me really hope they'd bring back that amazing Theme of Tara remix and let us use it in Smash Run when he returns.
Still, just like Melee, I can't really bring myself to go back to Brawl for long because of its physics (and to be honest, the graphics kind of hurt my eyes now, lol). Again to hoping for a Sunday reveal so I don't have to.

I actually took a pic when I was playing Brawl making fun of that:
al_150612_2133.bin.out.jpg

Top Bottom