• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Thats definitely the best case scenario, in that they have all the assets there and since he would be an add on they wouldnt need to add any licensing to the box or a few other things. Since the ballot is not a "who gets the most votes wins" kind of thing like many seem to think it is, as long as we get them to see that hes wanted, then they may consider that maybe us snake fans were just as letdown by his absence as any of the other lost veterans.

He at least as a huge advantage in implementation, the groundwork is laid, and when looking at him as a viable addition his pros easily outweigh any cons.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I suggest that in addition to voting Snake for DLC, we spam Konami's Twitter, Facebook, and maybe YouTube channel to convince them that it's a good idea.

Because I honestly think that Konami could be another obstacle in getting Snake back in Smash. Sakurai said that there's already some struggle in getting Pokémon into Smash even though Nintendo mostly owns that franchise. But Konami completely owns Metal Gear and they could be more reluctant since they aren't supporting the Wii U at all.

That way, not only would they be convinced that getting Snake into Smash U is a good idea, but it could very well convince them that there's a market for Metal Gear on Nintendo consoles (which there IS, but Konami has failed to take advantage of it despite establishing it).

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
More people are bashing Snake in various threads, saying how he doesn't fit. Bleh.

He's not one of the big names like Megaman, but the trophies leave me wondering if people think otherwise.
Rayman is as big if not bigger than Mega Man and Snake is even bigger than the both of them.

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Thats definitely the best case scenario, in that they have all the assets there and since he would be an add on they wouldnt need to add any licensing to the box or a few other things. Since the ballot is not a "who gets the most votes wins" kind of thing like many seem to think it is, as long as we get them to see that hes wanted, then they may consider that maybe us snake fans were just as letdown by his absence as any of the other lost veterans.

He at least as a huge advantage in implementation, the groundwork is laid, and when looking at him as a viable addition his pros easily outweigh any cons.
Yeah, Sakurai even said that when making a character there's a lot of debate to what moves the character will have, how he'll play, but we already have had Snake, so really all we would really need is a new stage (or if they port Shadow Moses Island I'm cool with that too) and a more modern model for him! Also, I think they should just port over all of the popular veteran characters at this point. Judging by how it appears that Mewtwo and Lucas don't have to much different compared to their originals, I think it'd save their team more time just porting them in.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
It can be hard to gauge who is really popular though, as a lot of sites seem to have memetic favourites that don't seem to extend beyond them. K. Rool and Snake seem to me to be consistently popular choices.

Nicholas Donnoli

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowman9934
Yeah, Sakurai even said that when making a character there's a lot of debate to what moves the character will have, how he'll play, but we already have had Snake, so really all we would really need is a new stage (or if they port Shadow Moses Island I'm cool with that too) and a more modern model for him! Also, I think they should just port over all of the popular veteran characters at this point. Judging by how it appears that Mewtwo and Lucas don't have to much different compared to their originals, I think it'd save their team more time just porting them in.
That would be great dlc. All smash veterans back in. I beg people would be so happy even though we're not getting new characters. This is how I feel ( my opinion btw) is take out pac man, mega man, and possibly sonic for snake. I love mega man a lot but when it comes to snake or mega man the soldier wins. He wins all the time. He's is just that character who can overrule anyone.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I love how most Snake fans have shied away from the other smash Bros fans. It really shows from these polls that there is a lot of Snake fans in secret.

Do any of you feel like Snake would still have a lot of haters if MGSV was coming to WiiU?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Idea for a trailer

----
*Old Snake and Otacon talk about how one should spend their final days, referring in story to Snake's life coming to an end but also to how MGS as we know it will end*
*Snake sees Sunny playing Smash for WiiU with a gamecube controller*
Snake: I'm done fighting wars...
*Snake produces an amiibo of his younger self*
Snake: But, I'm up for one last fight.
*Proceeds to over dramatically slam the amiibo down on the gamepad, causing Solid Snake to appear in the middle of a fight between Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man*
SNAKE SNEAKS INTO THE FIGHT!
Solid Snake: Kept you waiting, huh?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Do any of you feel like Snake would still have a lot of haters if MGSV was coming to WiiU?
Probably, because then they'd just use that as an excuse to complain about the content and how it's "proof" that Snake doesn't belong in Smash Bros. (which doesn't make sense - if anybody who had any say in the decision felt that Snake didn't "belong" in Smash Bros., then he wouldn't have been considered for Melee, let alone added into Brawl. The fact that he made it into Smash Bros. in the first place should be enough proof that the people who make the games feel that Snake does fit in)

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Probably, because then they'd just use that as an excuse to complain about the content and how it's "proof" that Snake doesn't belong in Smash Bros. (which doesn't make sense - if anybody who had any say in the decision felt that Snake didn't "belong" in Smash Bros., then he wouldn't have been considered for Melee, let alone added into Brawl. The fact that he made it into Smash Bros. in the first place should be enough proof that the people who make the games feel that Snake does fit in)
But Sakurai added him just as a favor to Kojima
Snake doesn't fit, he has nothing to do with Nintendo at all. Name the last MG game on Nintendo that is not a remake?
Snake isn't in this game because he was out of place.

I have studied snake haters to know how they act.
http://www.gamnesia.com/polls/poll-...the-super-smash-bros.-fighter-ba#.VSLWTPnF_mc
vote 4 snook

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
It would definitely continue even if he got in this game, sad to say but nintendo only fans have a skewed kind of view on what they want, and hate what isnt what they know. "Deserve" is a gross word that gets thrown around alot with its meaning even lost at points.

I even see some snake hate in the K rool thread right now, but id rather not deal with that since im not a fan of their character so i wont go there.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
My favorite game of all time is Banjo-Tooie, Banjo has always been my most wanted character, I just really love Banjo.

But as a Banjo fan, I'm absolutely appalled at the people who are jumping at the chance to get Banjo into Smash yet still **** all over Snake for being a "Sony character." Banjo is completely a Micro$oft character, as sad as it is, there's just so much bias.

War has changed, but their hate will never stop.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Wow, a lot of hate now? Just yesterday I was seeing some good support.Damn, I guess it varies.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Wow, a lot of hate now? Just yesterday I was seeing some good support.Damn, I guess it varies.
It depends on who is doing the attacking. There are three groups I have noticed:

1) Those who believe there is already too much third party characters.

2) Simon Belmont supporters who want Snake's place since Snake is his main competition.

3) People who hate the Metal Gear Solid Franchise and everything to do with it.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Anytime people see support of a character they dont like, the most vocal ones usually make a big deal out of it. Its bound to happen, but as long as we continue on and maybe even get the word out even as far as metal gear fans on boards for phantom pain and the like, we have a chance. I just posted the banner on the mgs facebook, so if they shared that it would definitely help.

----
Man you wouldnt believe how many people are taking that fan made supposed results as fact, you know the one that excluded snake and had geno and wart on it. The amount of youtube vids for it already is ridiculous, so many people just dont realize it means very little in the grand scheme haha

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The more desperate fans will cling onto whatever comes in favor of their character, and create that false sense that there are no other outcomes possible, such as their own character not making it.

Which sucks when Snake haters can be found in the fan bases of the more popular requests like Rool and Isaac.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
----
Man you wouldnt believe how many people are taking that fan made supposed results as fact, you know the one that excluded snake and had geno and wart on it. The amount of youtube vids for it already is ridiculous, so many people just dont realize it means very little in the grand scheme haha
What poll was that? As far as I saw, on polls like reddit and gamenasia snake was high in the poll or something. Despite the hate, snake does have some good backup, the smash community + the MGS community who has also been vocal on the poll.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
What poll was that? As far as I saw, on polls like reddit and gamenasia snake was high in the poll or something.
This one, if it was even a poll.

Its floated around everywhere by now, but it might just be a wishlist by one guy too lol. I think it was a poll by counting one groups choices, but some of the ones they chose totally throw it off.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Its floated around everywhere by now, but it might just be a wishlist by one guy too lol
It may be just be newcomers, I don't see wolf or ice climbers on there either.

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
It seems a lot of people are (seemingly) quite confident that Snake will not return and has no chance of returning, but that seems totally irrational to me. Even if you don't think he is likely, sure you have to accept he has some chance to be in the game. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but the definitiveness of it does my head in, as though certain things which may or may not affect his inclusion are sufficient to completely disregard what he has going for him (namely popular support and easy portability).

Its floated around everywhere by now, but it might just be a wishlist by one guy too lol. I think it was a poll by counting one groups choices, but some of the ones they chose totally throw it off.
There is a disclaimer at the top detailing that this is for newcomers.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
There is a disclaimer at the top detailing that this is for newcomers.
Even so its ignoring veterans, and there are dozens of youtube videos about it. Ignoring votes for veterans isnt something that needs to be, if people see snake on there its only going to help spread the word. But as ive said the newcomers listed there are questionable as hell as it is, along with the arrogance of "these ones are AT so no dice", while their chances may not be as great we cant rule anything out. The whole image just reeks of a skewed perspective, and i dont think thats what should be going around to influence all the attention its getting.

Its just one of those things about the fanbase that bugs me, everything is handled like star wars siths, in absolutes and nothing else. Which is why we deal with the "snake has no chance, dont waste your time" mentality that many people are so sure of. I would relish the day to see all of those turned on their head if snake was shown.

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Its just one of those things about the fanbase that bugs me, everything is handled like star wars siths, in absolutes and nothing else. Which is why we deal with the "snake has no chance, dont waste your time" mentality that many people are so sure of. I would relish the day to see all of those turned on their head if snake was shown.
Yeah, I'm really hoping things go in our favour here. I've seen way too many unchallenged and very faulty lines of reasoning, particularly about Snake but others as well, that I'd love to see quashed by his return. Unfortunately if Snake doesn't return, they'll see it as evidence that their warped reasoning remains valid.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Just remember to take Konami into account. We need their permission as well.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Just remember to take Konami into account. We need their permission as well.
seeing how it seems like every single developer wants their character to get into smash, even Microsoft. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't want Snake in especially since he was there already, I mean its like a huge advertisement for your character if they get in smash. I think its Nintendo we have to take in account.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Probably the same reason Mewtwo was DLC. Time constraints and higher priorities.
They could've at least put some Metal Gear trophies just like in Brawl, though. They're no longer above putting third party trophies with no character or stage in.

But if Snake gets in and Konami wastes the opportunity with the established Metal Gear market there, I say we rage at them.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Interesting. Why wasn't Snake back in when Konami is clearly okay with it?
Well we knew kojima was ok with it, but we dont know what else went on behind the scenes. While the guy running the konami twitter isnt quite the same thing, its good for exposure sure but i think the japanese higher ups were and are the biggest obstacle we will have to overcome. Konami has made some strange decisions for a long time now, many japanese publishes are a bit out of touch when it comes to stuff like this. Im sure they wouldnt really be against it though if approached, although who knows what would be better, if nintendo asked them or if konami asked nintendo.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
But if Snake gets in and Konami wastes the opportunity with the established Metal Gear market there, I say we rage at them.
I'd be down with a metal gear game on wii u, but first foremost I want snake in the game.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well we knew kojima was ok with it, but we dont know what else went on behind the scenes. While the guy running the konami twitter isnt quite the same thing, its good for exposure sure but i think the japanese higher ups were and are the biggest obstacle we will have to overcome. Konami has made some strange decisions for a long time now, many japanese publishes are a bit out of touch when it comes to stuff like this. Im sure they wouldnt really be against it though if approached, although who knows what would be better, if nintendo asked them or if konami asked nintendo.
What's so strange about Konami these days (besides being a one-trick Metal Gear pony)?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I really hope Nintendo/Konami have seen the early good support for Snake & have started negotiations. Since he already has a ton of work done, maybe they could start now & release him around the release of MGSV?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
What's so strange about Konami these days (besides being a one-trick Metal Gear pony)?
Hard to really pinpoint, but its true metal gear has been handled fine since its their bread and butter. But the utter lack of care or frankly anything of their gigantic backlog of IP's being left for dead is one of them. All we see of those franchises is the occasional VC game being released, and nothing more that requires any kind of real effort. And with Lords of shadow 2 doing bad, i cant see them putting any full effort back into that series either. Silent hills is probably down for the count as well with the whole kojima thing and all.

I feel like things have been rather odd behind the scenes there for some time, their E3 2010 press show was kind of the beginning of the end or at least the weirdness

They have so much potential consolewise, but since they can exist with all their other avenues in japan like the slot machines and such, its really been a sad state for most other things they have. First Koji Igarashi left, mainly due to them pushing him aside when lords of shadow came about, and that he had very little budget with the castlevania games he did get to make. And now kojima is leaving, it kind of feels like there are just mismanagements all over the place that arent benefiting them, especially from a PR perspective, which is why they have since added kojima's credits back to all the sites they were removed from. Its kinda like SE with their failure to manage a dev cycle, and sega with its flops here and the eventual step away from console support besides sonic that they are doing now. Im just afraid of what might become of konami if they continue on this trend of bad decisions, which will benefit no one if they just disappear or run MGS into the ground after kojima leaves.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Hard to really pinpoint, but its true metal gear has been handled fine since its their bread and butter. But the utter lack of care or frankly anything of their gigantic backlog of IP's being left for dead is one of them. All we see of those franchises is the occasional VC game being released, and nothing more that requires any kind of real effort. And with Lords of shadow 2 doing bad, i cant see them putting any full effort back into that series either. Silent hills is probably down for the count as well with the whole kojima thing and all.

I feel like things have been rather odd behind the scenes there for some time, their E3 2010 press show was kind of the beginning of the end or at least the weirdness

They have so much potential consolewise, but since they can exist with all their other avenues in japan like the slot machines and such, its really been a sad state for most other things they have. First Koji Igarashi left, mainly due to them pushing him aside when lords of shadow came about, and that he had very little budget with the castlevania games he did get to make. And now kojima is leaving, it kind of feels like there are just mismanagements all over the place that arent benefiting them, especially from a PR perspective, which is why they have since added kojima's credits back to all the sites they were removed from. Its kinda like SE with their failure to manage a dev cycle, and sega with its flops here and the eventual step away from console support besides sonic that they are doing now. Im just afraid of what might become of konami if they continue on this trend of bad decisions, which will benefit no one if they just disappear or run MGS into the ground after kojima leaves.
So Konami being a one-trick Metal Gear pony really IS the problem with them.

I've always wondered why they stopped churning out the Metroid-Castlevanias for Nintendo Handhelds before the 3DS came out (I really enjoy those games), and it seems to be clear that they're pretty much doing nothing but Metal Gear.

You know what? Maybe Simon Belmont should outprioritize Snake for that reason. Konami needs to know that there's still value in all their old franchises and that Metal Gear isn't their only thing.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Sorry I haven't posted recently, my account stopped notifying me. On the plus side, I voted for Solid Snake 15 times.

On the topic of hate, I'd like to say it's a non issue, but it's not. For our dedicated fanbase, we'll stay strong as we always have. The issue is undecided voters. Purists can try can manipulate voters to not just vote for a specific character, but not vote for Snake. The purists don't care who they vote for, as long as it's nintendo. The best course of actions is to take action. We can't just weather the storm within our own little community anymore. Now that we have power, it's important to convince other people to vote Snake. I'm not saying we need to track down purists, but rather convince voters. Be ready to defend your beliefs logically against the haters, as that what's going to win votes.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
So Konami being a one-trick Metal Gear pony really IS the problem with them.

I've always wondered why they stopped churning out the Metroid-Castlevanias for Nintendo Handhelds before the 3DS came out (I really enjoy those games), and it seems to be clear that they're pretty much doing nothing but Metal Gear.

You know what? Maybe Simon Belmont should outprioritize Snake for that reason. Konami needs to know that there's still value in all their old franchises and that Metal Gear isn't their only thing.
Id be fine with both simon and snake, but snake would be the biggest face they could bring us and more of a get IMO. God knows i want castlevania to live on though, since smash bros would benefit 10 fold just from the music alone.

Metal Gear is really the only thing they back with all their effort, as their biggest seller. They can ignore the rest since they still produce yugioh, soccer and other titles on a much smaller scale that generates revenue still. Gaming productions have become incredibly bloated, and kojima could have overstepped his bounds money and scale wise, but we may never know the truth behind all of the back door stuff, unless kojima spills the beans in an interview later in the year.

Nintendo is really the only japanese company that has done good by their fans and their IP. Especially with them getting other dev teams to do wonders with their existing IP's or dorment ones, it gives them new life and also makes the wait between games even smaller sine there are many teams working on many projects rather then waiting for a few small teams to get out what they can as fast as they can.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Id be fine with both simon and snake, but snake would be the biggest face they could bring us and more of a get IMO. God knows i want castlevania to live on though, since smash bros would benefit 10 fold just from the music alone.

Metal Gear is really the only thing they back with all their effort, as their biggest seller. They can ignore the rest since they still produce yugioh, soccer and other titles on a much smaller scale that generates revenue still. Gaming productions have become incredibly bloated, and kojima could have overstepped his bounds money and scale wise, but we may never know the truth behind all of the back door stuff, unless kojima spills the beans in an interview later in the year.
One obstacle I see in Snake's path are those who want Simon Belmont. There is room for only one Third Party from one company. If you can convince the Simon Belmont supporters to see things your way, then that should provide you with many votes.

Top Bottom