• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Thematically perhaps, but the question is whether he has a direct connection to them and Pecharunt as you can have a character parallel a story without directly following it beat for beat.

I can't say I agree it was sudden, at least not in the context of how short the Teal Mask arc was. We have a clear origin for when Kieran starts acting differently as he overhears the player, Carmine, and his grandpa discussing about keeping Ogerpon a secret and then on he starts spiraling. The player that he started to trust and his family lied to him, justified or not, and is keeping something he adores away from him as he loves the Ogre and has idolized it for years, that's of course going to bother him and make him less kind to the player. From there it gets worse, he never beats us despite changing around his team and trying to get stronger, he tries to win Ogerpon's affection and instead she attaches to the player, and he sees the player cozy up to his sister who was abrasive to them before the whole story went down. I can understand that it could've been stretched out more, but I don't think it was like a switch went off with the character, it felt more like a progression (or rather, regression) to what Kieran became in the Indigo Disk.

And I think another problem with the theory is that it sets up Pecharunt as a big grand schemer behind every action he takes but the story limits that. For instance, you mentioned that part of the reason Pecharunt corrupted Kieran was to get Terapagos and the Tera Crystals, however, nothing indicates that Pecharunt was aware of Terapagos. Kieran doesn't know about it at all until Briar talks to the group after he loses to the player, and he's surprised to learn about it, so he couldn't have been fed any information about it from Pecharunt. Additionally, at that point Kieran has a very personal reason to get Terapagos since it'd be a way to potentially one up the player, so it's not like Pecharunt's influence would've changed the action. For the other bits about the Pokemon, the backstory only sticks to it and the Loyal Three trying to steal the masks because they were beautiful masks to steal, the crystals weren't given as the reason (or at least the only one) for why they went for them. The event story does leave its motivations for controlling the town ambiguous, but you can use Terapagos against Pecharunt and unlike Ogerpon or the Loyal Three there's no reaction between the two which implies it's not something it's invested in. Nothing indicates it knows or cares about Terapagos, so it doesn't really lend to the idea that it manipulated Kieran to go after it, whereas the story gives Kieran good reason to do it for himself.

In general though, I feel the problem with the theory is that it's assuming Kieran's character arc wouldn't have happened without Pecharunt's influence, which I don't agree. Kieran has good reason to start his arc as the player (and his family) give him reason to be upset, he starts getting envious of the player because the player has multiple good things line up for them (including getting Ogerpon) while he's just a kid who feels he can never measure up, and even after getting stronger he still loses to the player and in a desperate attempt goes after a Legendary and screws up, forcing him to finally get out of his funk. The arc has a flow that doesn't need Pecharunt's influence to happen, and there's little that a possession angle would add to it.
I don't think Terapogos is essential to the possessed Kieran theory, that was just my own little theory that I threw in. Admittedly it doesn't have much in favor of it.

As for Kieran's arch, I don't think it's to explain why he's upset so much as it is to explain why he goes full supervillain because of it. Carmine acts very disturbed by his behavior and iirc emphasizes more then once that its not all that in character for him.

I get the feeling we won't reach an agreement though and these debates take a lot out of me so I won't really argue much further, but i'm still going to stick to the belief that Kieran's behavior was influenced by Pecharunt. I'm also someone who's honestly not super impressed with Kieran's character arch regardless of if there was any mind control or not tbh but that's a different discussion.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You gonna be alright fam?

Maybe test yourself for COVID, if you don't have it and this persists for the next few days. I'd go see a doctor or the emergency.
Oh. My nose is clearn now. I can still taste stuff so it cant be covid. My head tho, i ran into something rip. "Killer" is an exaggeration but it does hurt a little and it's only a one spot

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think Penny is a fun character and that its such a shame Starfall Street was such a stupid plotline.

That said I liked how in The Way Home she was able to recognize that Koraidon/Miraidon was acting traumatized because she'd felt the same way herself before. For all the issues I have with how S/V handled the topic of bullying I'm still impressed that they acknowledged how genuinely traumatic it can be for some people.
Dogs are mid
Blocked

Shroob

Sup?
At least we can all agree that Nemona is the weakest of the 3. :101:

I don't dislike her, but character-wise, she's easily the weakest since her one character trait is her entire character. She has hints that there's more going on in the final arc of the base game but, she herself kinda shuts that down before it even begins.
One thing I wish Penny would kinda stop doin is going "boo hoo my dad is so annoying, he loves me too much" when arven is an orphan
Arven be like, "This is where I watched my parents die, Terapagos."

"Cowabummer, dude."

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
So Urusei Yatsura (2022) gets its second season premiere today. I really loved the first season and cannot wait to see what happens next. It's probably up there as one of my favorite pieces of fiction ever right now and has some of my favorite characters ever, and I wanna go and read the original manga and watch the first series and the movies one day as soon as I finish some other stuff.

However, if you yourself are a fan of Urusei Yatsura, whether that be the manga, the first anime, or the 2022 series, are there things about it you feel have aged poorly or might not be as funny as you thought earlier? Whether that's certain tropes or how certain characters act? Nothing's gonna stop me from enjoying from the series, and if you enjoy it, nothing should stop you either. But I wanna know what others here think after reading about some stuff online.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
My one fear for Gen 10, besides a laundry list of other things, is the continued lack of any battle facility.

Blueberry Academy NOT being one despite.... being a facility built around battling is such a missed chance.

I get why they didn't include it since they made getting all the competitive items extremely easy to obtain but, man I don't wanna play online. I put well over 100 hours into Sun just making competitive teams for running the Battle Tree, but there's just no reason to do that now unless you're into online play.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Y’know the funny cartoon beatbox guy? Verbalase?

Yeah, apparently he went bankrupt because he spent 50 thousand bucks on an animated self insert fanfiction music video where his character is lusted after by Charlie from Hazbin Hotel.

Remember to touch grass, kids :090:
You think that he could’ve not only paid his own animators, but also could’ve paid his animators to do the commission for him.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
My one fear for Gen 10, besides a laundry list of other things, is the continued lack of any battle facility.

Blueberry Academy NOT being one despite.... being a facility built around battling is such a missed chance.

I get why they didn't include it since they made getting all the competitive items extremely easy to obtain but, man I don't wanna play online. I put well over 100 hours into Sun just making competitive teams for running the Battle Tree, but there's just no reason to do that now unless you're into online play.
I think Battle Facilities are a great way to bridge the gap between offline and online play and make the latter feel easier to get into.

I feel like if they want to keeping pushing online play and VGC like they have then Battle Facilities are a must.

But they probably won't, because TPC is stubborn like that. Shrug.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I plan on getting a Japan-only Switch game physically.

But I'm first going to wait for the next Nintendo Direct to see if the game will get an American release.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Smite 2 was announced today.
While I find some stuff about the roster a bit frustrating, Smite as an idea is really interesting to me and the reveal videos for the new gods are always fun - though I don't play it. I'm curious about how they're handling the sequel.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I heard storyboard leaks for the third Sonic the Hedgehog movie and the Knuckles miniseries spinoff of the movies have occurred. Either someone is getting fired or someone is getting into legal trouble…

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
it’s been casually revealed that the Justice League wasn’t created in the Arkhamverse until after the ending of Arkham Knight

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
A Rocksteady Studios Suicide Squad game is a great idea! The way they ended up doing it makes the project unsalvageable. Which really sucks. And it's just more reason not to trust WB Games. Which really really blows.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh no, how horrible. Please, by all means, tell me where they are so I can avoid them
I am not sure if you are being sarcastic on the "Oh no, how horrible" part, but...

Try avoiding Sonic fans and news sites on Twitter and maybe Sonic tubers on Youtube. Definitely avoid CartoonUpdates on Twitter, though. I think that is one of the sources of the leaks.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
And that's the entire story for Scarlet Violet done for me.

You know, I wouldn't be mad if they just kept updating the game with more DLC and extra story goodies but we all know that ain't happening. But overall, it was a lot of fun despite the technical issues. Kinda has me hopeful for the future of the series.

Top Bottom