• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
You have to wonder what happens. Were people who end up in this scenario always like this? Did they just, randomly turn into this somehow? Does the fame get to them and make them feel invincible?

I just don't get it.
It's the last part comboned with many other things. A lot of Nintendotubers were the stereotypical nerds to a large degree, they weren't popular, didn't really have a love life, didn't really have a social life, nor were they on a stage where they had to practice dicipline and responsibility.

So they stike big, they feel invincible, and now they have a young impressionable audience that they could form a parasocial relationship with. Which means they are now the popular kid. They can use the fame, fortune, and power to get adoring fans to do their bidding no matter how diabolical. Never been in that situation before, and with a lack of responsibility learned, they full on power trip.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
On a note more related to the thread…

I’m curious if we do get that smash upgraded of some kind on switch 2…. Will other games follow? mK8 probably gets rebranded to MK10.

But Animal Crossing feels perfect for an upgrade. Add new items, maybe new villagers, or let’s do amiibo villagers again. Every animal amiibo gets a villager, the pokemon ones included. All the ones from New leaf also come back.

That’s two big long service games that would be great to have updated at launch. Question is will they actually do it though…
ARMS could use it badly if you ask me.

Shroob

Sup?
It's the last part comboned with many other things. A lot of Nintendotubers were the stereotypical nerds to a large degree, they weren't popular, didn't really have a love life, didn't really have a social life, nor were they on a stage where they had to practice dicipline and responsibility.

So they stike big, they feel invincible, and now they have a young impressionable audience that they could form a parasocial relationship with. Which means they are now the popular kid. They can use the fame, fortune, and power to get adoring fans to do their bidding no matter how diabolical. Never been in that situation before, and with a lack of responsibility learned, they full on power trip.
A damn shame.

Though I guess that doubles back into my question if why children. Not saying doing that to adults is any better but, kids?

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
You have to wonder what happens. Were people who end up in this scenario always like this? Did they just, randomly turn into this somehow? Does the fame get to them and make them feel invincible?

I just don't get it.
Same with the smash e-celebs getting outed. People with below average social skills who may have not been popular before streaming suddenly gain a huge following of mostly underage fans who look up to them and place them on a pedestal. That kind of fame can really go to someone's head, and with time, those people could feel like they're above responsibility and untouchable to a degree.

edit - MightyP made this point more eloquently, but it does look to be a recurring thing with the VG streaming community.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Same with the smash e-celebs getting outed. People with below average social skills who may have not been popular before streaming suddenly gain a huge following of mostly underage fans who look up to them and place them on a pedestal. That kind of fame can really go to someone's head, and with time, those people could feel like they're above responsibility and untouchable to a degree.
You know, I kind of feel that popularity is like a drug, or at least a psychological need of people. You don't need it, but when you have it or get it when you want it, it feels good. It is also a means of power, and thus can be abused and can be used to take advantage of others. I always thought popularity is not really all that worth trying to get, even if some people are responsible with it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
A damn shame.

Though I guess that doubles back into my question if why children. Not saying doing that to adults is any better but, kids?
Some of them probably feel like they relate more to kids. Adults are stuffy and mean and lame and like boring stuff, while kids are fun and are probably into the same stuff they are. Somewhere along the line that warps into a twisted attraction.

And some of them just like kids from the jump, unfortunately :drshrug:

Shroob

Sup?
Some of them probably feel like they relate more to kids. Adults are stuffy and mean and lame and like boring stuff, while kids are fun and are probably into the same stuff they are. Somewhere along the line that warps into a twisted attraction.

And some of them just like kids from the jump, unfortunately :drshrug:
I guess that makes sense. Though how it grows from companionship to that is horribly sickening.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I guess that makes sense. Though how it grows from companionship to that is horribly sickening.
In addition to what I said in my last post in this topic, I would like to say that popularity is something that can corrupt, like power does. It also feels good like a drug, you want more of it, but it can affect you in negative ways as well.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
A damn shame.

So biggest thing is that kids are impressionable, they don't have a full grasp on what's right and wrong. Their favorite Youtuber comes into their DMs and gets all nice and friendly, they're gonna lose it. So the Youtuber gets all buddy buddy, then slowly gets personal, then slowly sexual. Keep in mind, this is puberty age so hormones go wild, insecurites go all over the place, and it's an embarassing time for many. Now imagine your favorite Youtuber "validating" you. Yeah, it gets dangerous fast.

Adults are more mature and all so trying to coerce them is gonna be much harder, you can't really manipulate them to do their bidding. The biggest thing? Adults can legally consent. If an adult were to agree, then that kills the whole power dynamic and any leverage a Youtuber can have. Which means they can't power trip and control their victims by manipulation and coercion, because there is none.

It really boils down that some people never really grow up, they don't learn discipline or responsibility, and they just go mad with power that they never had before. And if someone goes mad with power, the easist targets are the undereducated, highly impressionable audience.

Oh and some be pedos regardless of all that.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So biggest thing is that kids are impressionable, they don't have a full grasp on what's right and wrong. Their favorite Youtuber comes into their DMs and gets all nice and friendly, they're gonna lose it. So the Youtuber gets all buddy buddy, then slowly gets personal, then slowly sexual. Keep in mind, this is puberty age so hormones go wild, insecurites go all over the place, and it's an embarassing time for many. Now imagine your favorite Youtuber "validating" you. Yeah, it gets dangerous fast.

Adults are more mature and all so trying to coerce them is gonna be much harder, you can't really manipulate them to do their bidding. The biggest thing? Adults can legally consent. If an adult were to agree, then that kills the whole power dynamic and any leverage a Youtuber can have. Which means they can't power trip and control their victims by manipulation and coercion, because there is none.

It really boils down that some people never really grow up, they don't learn discipline or responsibility, and they just go mad with power that they never had before. And if someone goes mad with power, the easist targets are the undereducated, highly impressionable audience.

Oh and some be pedos regardless of all that.
It's a shame how kids can be so taken advantage of these days, isn't it? It makes me feel that parents nowadays do not do that much to take care of their kids and protect them from the world around them. It's quite sad.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I never watched Chuggaconroy very much, but I thought he seemed cool due to his Paper Mario and Pikmin stuff that I did watch so this all still really sucks to read.

It doesn’t affect me personally, tbh, but still…really sucks, and pretty frickin gross. I hope you guys who were fans of him can get to feeling better, and same for other fans too of course.

A damn shame.

I feel they were already mentally unwell. What TheMightyP said ties into not being mentally well, too, I believe.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
ARMS could use it badly if you ask me.
It does but a feel like a port is risky. The first game didn’t do terrible but it went out fast.

A full blown sequel might work really though. Add more replay able content and more support and the game could probably pick up a good following. Maybe retool mechanics a little bit to tighten gameplay. People that liked the first will see the big 2 on the cover and go “huh the first one was fun but fell off, maybe I’ll give this a try”

and people new to the switch 2 will go “hey a new fighting game available at launch, sure I’ll try!”

I think it would be more appealing to a wider audience that way.

Shroob

Sup?
It does but a feel like a port is risky. The first game didn’t do terrible but it went out fast.

A full blown sequel might work really though. Add more replay able content and more support and the game could probably pick up a good following. Maybe retool mechanics a little bit to tighten gameplay. People that liked the first will see the big 2 on the cover and go “huh the first one was fun but fell off, maybe I’ll give this a try”

and people new to the switch 2 will go “hey a new fighting game available at launch, sure I’ll try!”

I think it would be more appealing to a wider audience that way.
How to fix Arms 2

Make it a new Punch Out installment.

Alphine Agnitio

Certified Nerd™
tbh being popular is overrated as hell in the first place, I can't imagine wanting to be so well known people are able to analayze my every move and bug me about stuff I am or am not doing

But maybe that's the anxiety in me talking, lol, I clam up when talking to more than like 5 people irl at once

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Saw a post from Steam saying Tekken 8 was available wait when was Tekken 8 announced?!
they just held a stream today with New Day (aka the greatest tag team in wrestling history) as the hosts

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i got peer pressured into buying a PlayStation 5 god dammit

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I really wonder what the Mario Kart/ARMS team is up to. ARMS ended development in early 2018, and we've heard basically zilch from them since. I'm pretty sure Home Circuit and Tour were different teams, and the BCP was obviously made by a skeleton crew. I wonder if they're behind Princess Peach Showtime?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Okay look, I know Palworld is an exhausted topic, but I just wanted to say that my sister convinced me to play it more and yeah I'm having fun. Only thing right now that actually bugs the hell out of me is the meat cleaver.

I can't just release these things, I have to straight up butcher it? God damn.

Shroob

Sup?
Okay look, I know Palworld is an exhausted topic, but I just wanted to say that my sister convinced me to play it more and yeah I'm having fun. Only thing right now that actually bugs the hell out of me is the meat cleaver.

I can't just release these things, I have to straight up butcher it? God damn.
I've been on the sidelines for more or less this whole thing, and while I've tried to keep a neutral stance on it.

Yeah, game seems like it's just fun. I legit don't get why soo many people are upset over this game.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also yeah idk what Arms future is. The game kinda had potential but it kinda fell flat cause there's not much depth to it. But the character designs are top notch, it's a shame we'll never see them again.

You will be remembered Ninjara, Min Min, and Twintelle

Alphine Agnitio

Certified Nerd™
I've been on the sidelines for more or less this whole thing, and while I've tried to keep a neutral stance on it.

Yeah, game seems like it's just fun. I legit don't get why soo many people are upset over this game.
For me personally its not even about the game anymore, its people acting like its going to somehow destroy "bigbadmegacorportionNintendo" even though its not even in the same genre and the pokemon mechanics feel slapped on top of a cheap Ark clone. I've seen so many people on so many discord servers I'm in go like "damn Pokemon got owned hahahah".

Its literally Temtem all over again, I guarantee the moment the game starts plateauing in player count people will act like the game wasn't this big thing and ohhhh the devs are totally fine nothing suspicious in their past catalogue of games at alllll. :ultrob:

Like, for all the **** Nintendo does on the corporate end that I actually do dislike, I've never had to question if their games are stealing assets, or mostly stock assets shoved togheter on top of some ui work, or if Nintendo is releasing a game in early access with the plan to never actually "finish" it, etc.

For what its worth. I never felt like the accusations of the game using AI or the developers supporting crypto had any merit(since all the "evidence" I saw was screenshots taken out of context and in Japanese translated to English using google translate which isn't compelling enough to me)and given how fast Nintendo was to respond to the actual "lets put Ash Ketchum and Charizard into the game!" mod, but not the game itself, I think they don't think they have a direct problem with the game(or if they did, they don't think they can win the legal battle), but, at the same time, I also think the game is cheapily and lazily marketed & made, and I'd rather my money go to games I know I'll enjoy and from companies I trust.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I also bought the legally distinct gun monster game. My coworkers were talking about it a lot and hearing their experience with it convinced me to give it a try. I'm hoping to get some game time in this weekend.

I think a majority of the people getting mad over it is either because the creature designs are a little similar to Pokemon (there's one or two that I can see being a bit too similar for comfort) or Palworld's CEO being pro-AI (Based on the stuff I saw, he doesn't seem to be advocating replacing artists and is just commenting on the technology itself). I'm not really worried about either of these points, as a lot of the discourse just seems to be people looking for reasons to be mad. I don't really care about the whole Palword vs. Pokemon tribal thing that some people have got going on (corporation worship on either side is weird to me imo). If Nintendo thinks they have a case, they can basically sue at any time, so the whole thing is basically out of the public's hands. So for now I'm just going to enjoy the game and not worry about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom