• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
When I went to check that for Shroob Shroob , I immediately found a shiny Heracross and accidentally killed it lmao.

Good thing I have one on one in legends already.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Idk, Jun DID do the banger Be Cool, Be Wild and Be Groovy from Sonic Adventure and It Doesnt Matter in Sonic Adventure 2
Um, yeah, that was a while ago, and so was anything he made that was actually good Sega Genesis music to fans, which is the music of the Genesis version of Sonic 3D Blast.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Um, yeah, that was a while ago, and so was anything he made that was actually good Sega Genesis music to fans, which is the music of the Genesis version of Sonic 3D Blast.
Oh, yeah true. What HAS he been doing now? Was Jun the one Responsible for using the butchered versions of the sonic 3 prototype stage music in Sonic Origins?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
That is the complicated thing with Jun Senoue's compositions. He is amazing with modern sonic music.

But when it comes to classic tracks we get the Sonic 4 OST and
Pretty much, yes, he was.
Welp, i hope he got better since sonic Origins 💀
If its all gonna be new music and not rematers of old songs, MAYBE it will be fine

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
To be fair towards Elemental the movie's director actually is Korean and the child of immigrants, and claims the premise is based on his own experience with a family that wanted hin to marry another Korean. shrug

Doesn't really free it from criticism and I'm certainly not lining up to see it in theaters, but I can't help but feel we're being a little too harsh over it. Movie just seems mid if anything.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
To be fair towards Elemental the movie's director actually is Korean and the child of immigrants, and claims the premise is based on his own experience with a family that wanted hin to marry another Korean. shrug

Doesn't really free it from criticism and I'm certainly not lining up to see it in theaters, but I can't help but feel we're being a little too harsh over it. Movie just seems mid if anything.
I'd guess it probably has something to do with the marketing that causes people to jeer at it. It seems like a completely inoffensive movie, but people are still giving it oddly negative attention.

It's a very different case, so I don't know how apt the comparison is, but the game Forespoken from earlier this year met a similar fate. When the game released, the consensus was that it was simply middling, with some merit to its gameplay but nothing outstanding. The bulk of the backlash and negativity came from the game's marketing and main character, who embodied the obnoxiousness of overly ironic and quippy dialogue and characterization that has begun to oversaturate media in recent years. Before the game even released, people were hating it for that alone, and only those who were unbothered by it found the game bearable.

Perhaps something about Elemental embodies something that's similarly oversaturated that audiences are exhausted with? I haven't paid enough attention to the film or other animated films as of late, but I have caught some of the negativity towards Elemental. Was there anything in its trailer that specifically elicited groans from anyone?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Perhaps something about Elemental embodies something that's similarly oversaturated that audiences are exhausted with? I haven't paid enough attention to the film or other animated films as of late, but I have caught some of the negativity towards Elemental. Was there anything in its trailer that specifically elicited groans from anyone?
Oh, definitely. It seems to lean really hard into opposites attract romcom tropes, qnd the whole premise seems really reminiscent of Zootopia.

Watching the trailers definitely gives the sense that it's something you've seen before, and I guess people also hold Pixar to a higher standard then most animation studios so there's extra backlash when something doesn't live up to expectations.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Ever since Incredibles 2, Online places have been dismissive of all Pixar projects. and only get accustomed to them once they release (if they are good that is)

and like I cannot really blame that reaction considering Toy Story 4 and Incredibles 2. But still, nothing they have released has been as bad as Cars 2 so there is that. (I don't hate TS4 and Lightyear as much as some people, but I understand why you would dislike them.) and Soul, Luca and Turning Red are legitimately great (Soul Especially)

and for Elemental specifically, It does not look like they fixed the big problems that hurt Zootopia when it comes to the allegory, and as such it is a really easy target. and the advertising in general has it look generic.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Kevin Feige possibly having to shake the MCU up for the wrong reasons would be unfortunate

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That is the complicated thing with Jun Senoue's compositions. He is amazing with modern sonic music.

But when it comes to classic tracks we get the Sonic 4 OST and
I think those game's tracks are fine composition wise, hell, Metal's theme in Sonic 4 II is legit a personal fave, but the issue lies in the instrumentation, especially for the Origins stuff seeing the beta versions of the Sonic 3 OST for them. God I ****ing hate what happened to Carnival Night Beta Act 1, it has NO energy in Origins

I just think it's wild to have a movie where a kid crushes on an adult and she shoots him down by saying "Sorry kid, race mixing is bad" which is the most recent clip. I'm aware the fire girl is meant to be Korean cause of the "Haha spicy food" joke they use in trailer, but the in universe city structure outright being segragationist and the vibes of fire lady going from "ew race mixing" to a solid element with the grassy kid to wanting the water dude accidentally comes across as "Race mixing is ok but only if their skin looks kinda like mine"
I'd guess it probably has something to do with the marketing that causes people to jeer at it. It seems like a completely inoffensive movie, but people are still giving it oddly negative attention
A lot of us are also just tired about heterosexual stories being about forbidden love, especially in today's political climate and how Disney handled queer **** like Owl Houuse

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Oh, definitely. It seems to lean really hard into opposites attract romcom tropes, qnd the whole premise seems really reminiscent of Zootopia.

Watching the trailers definitely gives the sense that it's something you've seen before, and I guess people also hold Pixar to a higher standard then most animation studios so there's extra backlash when something doesn't live up to expectations.
Ah, that explains the joke I saw online that's my main reference on what the premise may be:

Ever since Incredibles 2, Online places have been dismissive of all Pixar projects. and only get accustomed to them once they release (if they are good that is)

and like I cannot really blame that reaction considering Toy Story 4 and Incredibles 2. But still, nothing they have released has been as bad as Cars 2 so there is that. (I don't hate TS4 and Lightyear as much as some people, but I understand why you would dislike them.) and Soul, Luca and Turning Red are legitimately great (Soul Especially)

and for Elemental specifically, It does not look like they fixed the big problems that hurt Zootopia when it comes to the allegory, and as such it is a really easy target. and the advertising in general has it look generic.
I did see Incredibles 2, but not Toy Story 4. Incredibles 2 was definitely a letdown compared to the first film, though it was probably the least of Pixar's problems in the past decade. They've been incredibly hit or miss, and Elemental seems to be eliciting that "miss" feeling from a lot of people. Lightyear was also a very high-profile misfire that actually seemed to result in layoffs.

Cars 2 was the infamous pivoting point where Pixar had made its first poorly-received film, and they never fully recovered to their former glory. I've heard people remark how Dreamworks seems to have hit their stride again recently, however.

I just think it's wild to have a movie where a kid crushes on an adult and she shoots him down by saying "Sorry kid, race mixing is bad" which is the most recent clip. I'm aware the fire girl is meant to be Korean cause of the "Haha spicy food" joke they use in trailer, but the in universe city structure outright being segragationist and the vibes of fire lady going from "ew race mixing" to a solid element with the grassy kid to wanting the water dude accidentally comes across as "Race mixing is ok but only if their skin looks kinda like mine"

A lot of us are also just tired about heterosexual stories being about forbidden love, especially in today's political climate and how Disney handled queer **** like Owl Houuse
So it sounds like a simple case of a reasonable idea being poorly executed. Trying to portray a story about the challenges of interracial romance, through an allegory that's honestly quite clever, but then the actual execution is rather clumsy and misguided. It could have been done well, but the actual style and tone of the story doesn't fit well.

Makes me think about how, for most of my life, I've heard such renown for the X-Men series and how it serves as a powerful allegory for how marginalized groups are treated. Only in recent years have I seen people gradually begin to consider that, in-universe, a lot of the fear and stigma of mutants is entirely sensible given that they are legitimately dangerous and unpredictable, so the allegory doesn't actually work. Or, taking the allegory literally, portrays the opposite message that it might intend to.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So it sounds like a simple case of a reasonable idea being poorly executed. Trying to portray a story about the challenges of interracial romance, through an allegory that's honestly quite clever, but then the actual execution is rather clumsy and misguided. It could have been done well, but the actual style and tone of the story doesn't fit well.

Makes me think about how, for most of my life, I've heard such renown for the X-Men series and how it serves as a powerful allegory for how marginalized groups are treated. Only in recent years have I seen people gradually begin to consider that, in-universe, a lot of the fear and stigma of mutants is entirely sensible given that they are legitimately dangerous and unpredictable, so the allegory doesn't actually work. Or, taking the allegory literally, portrays the opposite message that it might intend to.
I'd disagree on it being clever as like, ok, the idea is that they're all elements and combining certain elements can create new ones, but when you use this as an allegory, you end up accidentally implying that some mixed couples can work out while others do not based on what they are which is still very weird, it tries to simplify a surprisingly complex idea too much, Zootopia struggles with this in the opposite direction, animals imherently have different instincts for each other whereas people with different skin colours will not.

With X-Men, I'd say it generally works when looked at well enough as unlike these Disney allegories, X-Men isn't too afraid of showing the very real issues these people face, I remember checking out the 90's cartoon about 5-6 years ago and it just, really understands the struggles of being queer in nonaccepting spaces or a minority in general with hate groups who demand your death for no reason, special 'camps' to 'fix' you, being targetted by the government to be erased, destructive government forces hell bent on killing you with people unaffected not caring because it's your fault for being born, etc.

Also Magneto. We cannot forget Magneto being seen as completely in the right by readers when both the comics and reality show that no amount of living in peace will change discrimination and that we need to actively rebel against a system that wants us dead, it's been so long since these characters were introduced but the unending nature of comics accidentally has the most shockingly realistic part down pat

Shroob

Sup?
Oh, you can't even put Origin form Giratina/Palkia/Dialga in HOME since they need held items.

Well that's 3 less Pokemon I need for my dex.

Shroob

Sup?
So I'm down to just needing the 4 Genies in their Origin form

And Palkia/Dialga.

Not counting Mythicals of course.

Knowing me, this is gonna take awhile since I like my Legendaries to match...

Meaning I'm gonna want the 4 Genies in the same kind of ball, same with Palkia/Dialga, lol.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's not so much that I disagree with the critisms that Elemental's themes are handled awkwardly or that another hetero romance movie kinda unneccessary, so much as I think social media is just...really blowing some of the problems up. As social media does. I also sense there's some scapegoating going on regarding people's frustration towards Pixar's parent company.

I'm pretty dissapointed about it myself but hating on it just seems like wasted energy. But I probably shouldn't drag this discussion on any further because then everyone will get sick of it.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, Elemental.

I haven't really thought about it much myself, but it does look interesting. And Pixar HAS made my two favorite movies (like, my actual favorite movies in general) with Soul and Luca, so I'm probably biased enough to enjoy it myself lol

Jondolio

Smash Hero
My opinion of Disney had soured to the point I want pretty much everything under their umbrella to fail. I know it's not fair but I genuinely want to see this corporation crash and burn because I don't think creativity can thrive under them - they now prioritize quality over quantity with stuff like the MCU and Star Wars, Pixar has been one of the most vanilla animated studios throughout most of the 2010s, and there's their general attitude towards LGBTQ+ stuff (which includes their treatment of The Owl House).

Like, yeah there have been stuff from their subsidiaries that I liked in recent memory, like Guardians 3, Black Panther 2, and Turning Red, but those are outliers. And that's without me thinking about what could have been if they didn't buy Lucasfilm and Marvel - we could've had a complete Clone Wars series (yeah, the season 7 finale was amazing and I do attribute that to some of the production values that likely wouldn't be there without Disney, but at the same time there are a lot of arcs were meant to be animated and I can't help but dwell on the possibilities) and stuff like Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers EMH would've likely gone on while other Marvel properties could've gotten the Spider-Verse treatment.

Elementals is innocent in a vacuum and I hold no ill will towards its creative team, but it's also extremely generic and definitely not enough to get me to support its parent company. Every day Disney loses money is a good day in my eyes.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So is there anything I should know before diving into PLA.
If you have the physical game and plan on shiny hunting, you'll want to hold off on updating the game as patches removed the reset exploit for Mass Spawns.

Save up some Jet Balls and Smoke Bombs after the first Post-Game for the Genies. They are the hardest Pokemon to catch by far, and sniping them at a distance (before you battle them) makes things much easier.

Always play with the sound on so you can listen for shinies. I got around 3 before I reached the first Post-Game without actively hunting.

But other than that I'd recommend taking your time and not rushing through it. Aside from learning the maps, Space-Time Distortions for rare Pokemon/items increase in likelihood the longer you stay on a single map.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Kevin Feige possibly having to shake the MCU up for the wrong reasons would be unfortunate
Man, first Jonathan Majors and now Tenoch Huerta. Feels like Feige and Marvel Studios really can't catch a break.

Anyways, with San Diego Comic-con coming up next month, I predict that a load of the Phase 5 and 6 films and shows are going to shift schedules which should hopefully be beneficial for Marvel Studios going forward.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Man, first Jonathan Majors and now Tenoch Huerta. Feels like Feige and Marvel Studios really can't catch a break.

Anyways, with San Diego Comic-con coming up next month, I predict that a load of the Phase 5 and 6 films and shows are going to shift schedules which should hopefully be beneficial for Marvel Studios going forward.
I don't think we'll get a schedule for phase six anytime soon due to the writers guild strike.

Not that I'm complaining

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
On Elemental, I will say this:

Pixar is in their flop era. Not as in quality, but as in financially, they're losing money. Lightyear was a financial bomb, and before that their last couple of movies have been direct to D+, which is also in their flop era (losing millions of subs). They're losing tons of employees to layoffs which usually mean financial trouble, so if Elemental flops, Pixar might as well be done as a brand.

D

Deleted member

Hello people, nice to be talking with ya'll again.

Left back then because I got a serious anxiety attack and needed some time off, but I've been feeling better and more confident recently. Currently trying to enter into a FP career of 3D and 2D animation and saving money for a good chunk of stuff.

Anyways, I came back because recently a certain Marvel actor has been alledgedly framed for some serious stuff, and It happened that It was one who I said back then I wasn't a big fan of. Today I wanna share with ya'll why this was the case, although I'll hide It under spoilers for those who don't want to read or hear anything about it.

Also goes without saying, but my prayers go to the possible victim, she seems to have fought a lot for Women's rights and It seems she has a lot of solid ground for her claims. Praying this situation gets solved as soon as possible and the innocent person makes It well enough out of this.

That's all as of now, wishing all of you a good day! :)

Jondolio

Smash Hero
On Elemental, I will say this:

Pixar is in their flop era. Not as in quality, but as in financially, they're losing money. Lightyear was a financial bomb, and before that their last couple of movies have been direct to D+, which is also in their flop era (losing millions of subs). They're losing tons of employees to layoffs which usually mean financial trouble, so if Elemental flops, Pixar might as well be done as a brand.
I wouldn't be surprised if Elemental flops since I've barely seen any marketing for it and people have been pretty vocal about their disinterest in it. I could also totally see Pixar being shut down and absorbed into Walt Disney Animation, which would give me another reason to hate Disney

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Hello people, nice to be talking with ya'll again.

Left back then because I got a serious anxiety attack and needed some time off, but I've been feeling better and more confident recently. Currently trying to enter into a FP career of 3D and 2D animation and saving money for a good chunk of stuff.

Anyways, I came back because recently a certain Marvel actor has been alledgedly framed for some serious stuff, and It happened that It was one who I said back then I wasn't a big fan of. Today I wanna share with ya'll why this was the case, although I'll hide It under spoilers for those who don't want to read or hear anything about it.

Also goes without saying, but my prayers go to the possible victim, she seems to have fought a lot for Women's rights and It seems she has a lot of solid ground for her claims. Praying this situation gets solved as soon as possible and the innocent person makes It well enough out of this.

That's all as of now, wishing all of you a good day! :)
I'm practically retired.

Oh yeah.

Hi SB I am alive.

I'm 99% on Discord now. So yeah, I'm not dead. Only really here to see if about two people are still alive and well

D

Deleted member

Hello returning users.

If anyone is curious as to what happened to former user Zachmac he gamed too hard and caught a bad case of gameritis. My similarities to him are merely a coincidence
Lol, I also have been playing a lot of games recently between Dead Space Remake, Fortnite, Tears Of The Kingdom and the Castlevania franchise (the latter mostly because I preordered the Signature Edition of Dead Cells Return To Castlevania and I am hyped).

It has been a good year for games so far, ngl. Between High Fi Rush, TotK, Jedi Survivor, Spider-Man 2, RE4 Remake and Street Fighter 6 people have been eating really well.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, I just noticed; things like the last State of Play from Playstation, the last Xbox Showcase and recently, the Summer Games Fest have said to have sucked. That said, if I recall correctly, most of those games had realistic games. Aside from other possible reasons why they may have sucked, do you think realistic games, which apparently were a big thing, are losing their appeal? Just a thought.

D

Deleted member

Well, I just noticed; things like the last State of Play from Playstation, the last Xbox Showcase and recently, the Summer Games Fest have said to have sucked. That said, if I recall correctly, most of those games had realistic games. Aside from other possible reasons why they may have sucked, do you think realistic games, which apparently were a big thing, are losing their appeal? Just a thought.
Idk, I thought the PlayStation Showcase while kinda weak had some good reveals such as MGS Delta, Spider-Man 2 and that game where you go from inside books to bedrooms. I feel the problem It had was that right after It happened they announced almost all the games as multiplatform, which kinda lowered the hype.

As for the Summer Game Fest, I quite enjoyed It. Sonic Superstars, the new Prince Of Persia, the Mortal Kombat 1 Gameplay, the release date of Spider-Man 2, the Fortnite CG trailer, FF7 Rebirth and probably more were quite the cool reveals.

I wanna wait until the next Xbox Showcase happens today before making final judgement, but I feel the problem isn't really the concept of realistic games.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Idk, I thought the PlayStation Showcase while kinda weak had some good reveals such as MGS Delta, Spider-Man 2 and that game where you go from inside books to bedrooms. I feel the problem It had was that right after It happened they announced almost all the games as multiplatform, which kinda lowered the hype.

As for the Summer Game Fest, I quite enjoyed It. Sonic Superstars, the new Prince Of Persia, the Mortal Kombat 1 Gameplay, the release date of Spider-Man 2, the Fortnite CG trailer, FF7 Rebirth and probably more were quite the cool reveals.

I wanna wait until the next Xbox Showcase happens today before making final judgement, but I feel the problem isn't really the concept of realistic games.
Yeah, I figured. I almost forgot about games like Spiderman 2. It just appeared, as in seemed, to me that realistic games were losing their touch, or else they would have made the events better on their own, and I still could be wrong on that.

But still, yeah, while that may not be the reason, those events have been week recently, and there as to be a reason why.

Top Bottom