• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snorlax Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Colleges aren't over-priced. They need tuition to be high so they can get good ratings. Student-to-faculty ratio, for example.

Cubes

Smash Cadet
I don't agree that college is a scam (over priced maybe) but there is a certain amount of 'brainwashing' that goes into the system. Firus, your friend is kind of right, those AP classes most likely won't matter when it comes to college. I took AP classes as well, as long as you can pay your tuition they don't give a **** about what you did in high school.
Agreed. Just watch out for "for-profit" schools i.e. any college that you see an actual advertisement on TV for. They really ARE scams.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The school year isn't getting off to a good start for me... Eh, well, that's my rant for the day.

tl;dr: I hate people.
All I have to say is that high school sucks. You're almost out of it though! And both your friend and Chill are right. AP classes don't mean ****. College isn't a scam, but AP courses are. I didn't take any and I'm doing fantastic in college. Most of my friends who did take AP classes in high school aren't getting any super benefits in college except that one guy who went to Harvard (yeah...).

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
All I have to say is that high school sucks. You're almost out of it though! And both your friend and Chill are right. AP classes don't mean ****. College isn't a scam, but AP courses are. I didn't take any and I'm doing fantastic in college. Most of my friends who did take AP classes in high school aren't getting any super benefits in college except that one guy who went to Harvard (yeah...).
Well I like my AP courses and although the coursework may be rough I'm getting a great deal out of them.

I also get $100 for every exam I take with a score of 3, 4, or 5.
I've already got $100 so far. Only $400 more to collect, hopefully. :3

XACE-K

Smash Master
Got home from school a half hour ago. I don't have any complaints with my class yet. What I love about my schedule is that I have the first 2 periods of the day off so I can get about 2 more hours of sleep.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I'm only a freshman (high-school level), but I'm in all three available honors classes in my grade, and will be moving on to the AP tracks for many classes as soon as I'm in a grade where they're offered.

I got most of the homework-loving teachers. :/ I have three interviews, two more to be written from a book character's POV, a long review over a book, a gigantic "significant moments" worksheet, and whatever else we're assigned for the one class due Thursday and Friday, and whatever else we managed to get assigned in other classes. On top of marching band practice and scouts. .____.
Fun.
God interviews. I gotta do 2 of them on Friday for my school's announcements. Thing is that my class is the one doing them in TV Prod and they've all sucked uptil now. Like srsly. No lower 3rds or music or anything >_>

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I'm only a freshman (high-school level), but I'm in all three available honors classes in my grade, and will be moving on to the AP tracks for many classes as soon as I'm in a grade where they're offered.

I got most of the homework-loving teachers. :/ I have three interviews, two more to be written from a book character's POV, a long review over a book, a gigantic "significant moments" worksheet, and whatever else we're assigned for the one class due Thursday and Friday, and whatever else we managed to get assigned in other classes. On top of marching band practice and scouts. .____.
Fun.
This is why I enjoy AP courses. Not only is there the benefit of getting rigorous coursework done, but you're usually left with less or no homework due to AP being a major self-study class. For my four AP courses this year I have received a total of 4 total homework assignments after 4 days.
Also, chances are your AP teachers are teachers who enjoy teaching the subject so it's not all boring and ******** like some other cases.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
First day of high school.

Waking up at 5 am
hour-and-a-half long bus ride.

Running accross the whole school every f*cking period.

Not knowing anyone you have lunch with.

Lots of books.

Other 1 1/2 hour bus ride

homework. a lot. on the first day.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Wait a minute.

WHAT

Wait a minute, wait a minute.

WHAT

This makes me feel like everyone in my school is lying to me. >_>

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings

Waking up at 5 am

Lots of books.

Charmander, I go through that every day besides the part about not knowing who to have lunch with

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
AP courses tend to look good on college applications, though. That doesn't guarantee you'll be given credit for said courses.

Waking up at 5 am

Lots of books.

You have to drive an hour and a half to school?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Then why the **** is my mom making me get an AP diploma.

Seriously. DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
You have to bus for an hour and a half? That's a little absurd. I woke up at 5:30 today, but to work out. If I want to, I can wake up at 7:50, and still make it to school on time.

Cubes

Smash Cadet
To give you an idea,

- Once you get to college, NO ONE cares about a SINGLE thing you did in high school (unless it's some super awesome thing, but then you're probably going to Harvard already). Grades? Who cares.

- If you're desired college turns you down, you can almost always go to the local community college for a semester or 2, then attempt to transfer to the original school (with a very high rate of success).

- The SAT/ACT matters most for getting into college (more than grades or extracurricular). It is probably THE most important test of your life (unless you're going to grad school). Study hard for it, and honestly, screw everything else you have the week before.

To give an example, my best friend in high school was in like 5 or 6 IB courses (it's practically the same as AP). He didn't care at all, not doing anything for the first semester (getting almost straight F's), then doing barely enough to pass the class (forget about the actual AP/IB test). He went to a local university for 2 years, found what he liked, then transferred to my university (University of Florida - a top 50 school, which was very selective and definitely would have turned his application from high school down), and is now currently my room-mate and doing awesome.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
On an after school bus for after school activities the bus actually passes my house, goes to the ends of the earth, comes back, and I'm the last stop.

It takes about 2 hours.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We have to share the after school buses with the middle schoolers...

and there are not that many buses there :/

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
To give you an idea,

- Once you get to college, NO ONE cares about a SINGLE thing you did in high school (unless it's some super awesome thing, but then you're probably going to Harvard already). Grades? Who cares.

- If you're desired college turns you down, you can almost always go to the local community college for a semester or 2, then attempt to transfer to the original school (with a very high rate of success).

- The SAT/ACT matters most for getting into college (more than grades or extracurricular). It is probably THE most important test of your life (unless you're going to grad school). Study hard for it, and honestly, screw everything else you have the week before.

To give an example, my best friend in high school was in like 5 or 6 IB courses (it's practically the same as AP). He didn't care at all, not doing anything for the first semester (getting almost straight F's), then doing barely enough to pass the class (forget about the actual AP/IB test). He went to a local university for 2 years, found what he liked, then transferred to my university (University of Florida - a top 50 school, which was very selective and definitely would have turned his application from high school down), and is now currently my room-mate and doing awesome.
Cubes is a cool guy.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
First day of Sixth Form over on the other side of the Atlantic for me. :)

I'm not going to be getting used to the privileges in quite a while, I think. I feel really guilty just skipping the queue into the cafeteria and just waltzing right on in. And my second Biology teacher is actually quite cool, despite previous meetings with her. She arranged to have another guy's parents bake a cake for us to all eat on Friday last period. :laugh:

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I think I like college already.

I got a decent score on the SAT already. Got a really high score on one of my subject tests too, so I guess that's cool.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
GUISE GUISE GUISE EMERGENCY

Should I get a DSi or 3DS? Keep in mind I don't have a DSanything right now, and want Black and White.

Also, can I use GameBridge to play my Wii on my laptop screen? Is there lag or anything?

PowerBomb

Smash Master

Should I get a DSi or 3DS? Keep in mind I don't have a DSanything right now, and want Black and White.

Also, can I use GameBridge to play my Wii on my laptop screen? Is there lag or anything?
3DS comes out next year, right?

Is Black and White a big deal for you? If so, **** the 3DS and get a DS Lite (DSi not worth it imo).

Get it somewhere where you can sell it back for full price. Costco is always nice, but I'm not sure if they sell DS's anymore.

XACE-K

Smash Master

Should I get a DSi or 3DS?
I would get a 3DS because you'll be able to play 3ds and ds games on it. And nearly everything I've read about the 3ds online from people who've tried it say it's great.

Cubes

Smash Cadet

COSTCO does sell DS's/DSi's, and you can definitely return it for full price (I know someone who returned a used Wii 2 years after they bought it, and exchanged it for a new black one). You need a membership card though, and they need to actually exist in your area.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
So according to this, I can buy a DS and then return it whenever I goddam want and get all of my money back?

Also, further research (shining my lamp on the side of my laptop) shows me that I do in fact have an HDMI thang. Anyone have experience with Wii2HDMI?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings

Get a 3DS. It'll be backwards compatible with DS games. The DSi isn't really worth it. The DSL was the best DS IMO.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
So according to this, I can buy a DS and then return it whenever I goddam want and get all of my money back?

Also, further research (shining my lamp on the side of my laptop) shows me that I do in fact have an HDMI thang. Anyone have experience with Wii2HDMI?
It seems sort of absurd, because of you only have 90 days return, of course you could simply do this over and over, but it's really obnoxious. I still say that you should just buy a used one off someone, it shouldn't be that hard to find, I could get a DSLite for $50, easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom