• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Brothers Invitational: It's Awesome. Now Calm Down.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Hey everyone, have you seen the news? The Smash Brothers Invitational? That's so cool! Nintendo? Hosting a Smash Brothers pre-release tournament? At E3 of all places? I'm sure some of us would have never imagined this would happen in a million years! The awesome documentary, the pro sponsorships, the FGC's acceptance of us - it's all coming together! Nintendo loves the competitive scene now!

We did it! ...Right?

Alright, guys and gals. Take a deep breath... in through the nose, out through the mouth.

Calm down.

This could be a crucial moment in competitive history, so let's not jump the gun. It's time to take stock of what we're dealing with here.

Old Man Nintendo

What we need to remember is that Nintendo is putting on this event. Most of us here can agree that they make amazing games - Nintendo brought us Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero and several more excellent series that have been relevant over multiple decades. While the Smash Brothers series is excellent in its own right, a significant part of the magic is being able to use all of these Nintendo characters we know and love to fight it out. Nintendo is known for creating games and hardware that stand the test of time, and are a blast to play.

Nintendo, is not known, however, for its appreciation of competitive gaming.

Have we forgotten about EVO 2013, where Nintendo nearly forbade the streaming of Super Smash Brothers Melee? Hell, while we're at it, have we already forgotten about EVO 2014? From the sound of it, tournament officials essentially had to convince Nintendo that it was a good idea to allow SSBM to be included in the largest fighting game tournament on Earth. For any other gaming company on the planet that would be an absolute no-brainer.

The Fils-a-Mech may be charming, but there's no promise that it (or Reggie) will back the competitive scene.

It's not that Nintendo means us harm, but they've hardly been supportive of competitive Smash Brothers until recently. The creator of the series himself, Masahiro Sakurai, envisioned the latest entry, Brawl, as "a game... that [had] been designed to be played with a smaller group of people -- be that a group of friends or within your house a group of family members -- competing in the small circles and not really worrying about winning and losing so much." Competition is something Nintendo has been actively afraid of for years. Outside of the Smash Brothers and Pokemon communities, what other Nintendo series can claim an established competitive scene? The only Nintendo console game that's even had a consistent online community is Mario Kart Wii.

Which leads us to another thing Nintendo is not well known for.

Competitive Online Play

Competitive gaming and eSports live on the Internet. Nintendo, historically, has not. One could argue that Nintendo is still far behind the curve in online infrastructure. While Nintendo Network IDs do exist, they do very little. The lack of a consistent online persona, stat tracking, achievements and other features that have been around on competing networks for years are still missing on Nintendo consoles - nor are they likely to appear anytime soon. Recent Wii U outings such as Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze have lacked online play in any capacity. Regardless of whether or not you personally care for online gaming, the distinct lack of compelling online functionality it is a notable weakness of the Nintendo brand.

Remember the last time Smash was online? Brawl's online infrastructure was, to put it politely, lacking. Unless you had the friend code of an opponent, the only option available was two-minute free-for-all time battles with items. Entire websites such as AllisBrawl.com had to be made just so players could find other competitive opponents. And even if you did have a friend code, input lag was rampant - players could expect a quarter-second of lag or more, making fair battles and tight execution pipe dreams.

Even the recent online announcements for SSB 4 have been somewhat foreboding. 'For Fun' and 'For Glory' modes are a great step in the right direction, but the devil is in the details. According to the Super Smash Brothers Direct that happened earlier this month, 'Relentless targeting of an individual' is grounds for a temporary ban. Why? Global Smash Power is also somewhat of a mystifying concept. Instead of ranking people in online battles, SSB 4 will rank people by their net single-player scores. This decision smacks of Nintendo's historic fear of direct competition.

In case you haven't seen it, watch the Smash Brothers Direct here.
Why am I being such a Debbie Downer?
Now why am I saying this? Because this is a moment that we as a community may only have once. Smash has made great strides with Nintendo in recent history, being featured at EVO 2014 and MLG 2014 with Nintendo's blessing. The Invitational Tournament at E3 is huge as well. But we need to be gentle. Nintendo's decision to create this tournament is almost certainly larger than us, and we shouldn't assume that Nintendo now knows and loves every little thing about competitive Smash. I see Tweets saying 'Smash Bros. is officially eSports' and it makes me worry. Nintendo is dipping its toe in the proverbial shallow end, and what we show them may shape their opinion of us for years to come.

Nintendo is the new kid on the competitive block. Let's bring them a housewarming gift, not bust down the front door and put our boots up on the couch. Prominent FGC figure and commentator James Chen said it best:

As a community, we still have a lot of work to do if we're to bring Nintendo into the fold. So to everyone out there doing great things in the name of Smash: keep working at it, but be cautious. If we push too hard, we might not get a chance like this again.

Thanks for reading. If you're on Twitter thank @NintendoAmerica with the #thankyounintendo hashtag! It never hurts to show a little love, but act like you've been there before.

The Derrit is super excited for the Invitational, and really wants to interview the Regginator about Smash 4. Also - follow me James Chen! I love you, table flips and all! My Twitter is @TheDerrit!

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Debbie Downer? Why do you have to bring Ghirahim into this??

In all seriousness, I think this is a good sign for competitive Smashing.

Or a horrible one. Either way.

Last edited:

JDavisR (NIX)

Smash Lord
NNID
Robertson1
3DS FC
2337-4618-3776
Good article. This is our chance to show Nintendo that Competitive Smash is one of the most healthy, friendly, and overall amazing communities of gaming. This is a big step, but its time for us to repay Nintendo by showing them just what competitive smash all about, having fun

Last edited:

Styles

Smash Rookie
I think it's perfectly fine to show a little hype. Who wouldn't? This is not only a first for Nintendo, but it's also "Smash Bros." Kinda hard not to.

However, too much hype may leave a sour taste in Nintendo's mouth. The way they view us is "Crazy lunatics who love to party and have no responsibilities," or so I believe. We gotta be professional about this. Not crazy.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
I think it's perfectly fine to show a little hype. Who wouldn't? This is not only a first for Nintendo, but it's also "Smash Bros." Kinda hard not to.

However, too much hype may leave a sour taste in Nintendo's mouth. The way they view us is "Crazy lunatics who love to party and have no responsibilities," or so I believe. We gotta be professional about this. Not crazy.
This guy gets it.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Exactly. It's a big step, no doubt about that, so a little hype is understandable. But you have to be smart about it for this is unexplored territory for Nintendo and it should be kept in mind that it won't be done perfectly and there will probably be differences in what they do and what we do, and we need to be respectful about it. It is also not good to jump the ship early and claim some of the stuff I've been seeing claimed.

I really hope the players invited will make a good impression to Nintendo.

Vashimus

Smash Master
This guy gets it.
Both of you are overreacting. As long as people act at the very least tactful, everything's gonna be just fine. Most of us are grown-ass adults, not grade schoolers. I'm sure we can handle ourselves.

Last edited:

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Both of you are overreacting. As long as people act at the very least tactful, everything's gonna be just fine. Most of us are grown-*** adults, not grade schoolers. I'm sure we can handle ourselves.
Go check Twitter. There has been less-than-tactful behavior from some pretty big names. I wouldn't have put this out if I hadn't seen it myself.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I just hope Nintendo doesn't try to hijack the scene, sponsor everyone, then make them play 4. O.O

I don't think Nintendo likes Melee being around very much.

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
Smash Community is like a beaten housewife. "Well, he's a little harsh at times, but he's got a g-good h-heart!"

Having the invitational during E3 is a fantastic time to avert some of the attention from their competitors. And Nintendo will more than likely not invest money in the relatively small scene that is Smash after this. Besides all the tournaments that TOs are arranging is free marketing. And they'll take it.

Best you can hope for is that they stop being *****, and allow for Smash to be streamed by companies like MLG.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I think the best thing to say is that people need to exercise hype, joy and the like responsibly.
We can't be so hype happy maniacs who are positive only or we should act all pessimist, but that doesn't mean this means nothing good for the competitive scene. It could be good or bad. We just have to wait and see.
Just prepare for anything, I guess is what people need to know.

Iguana

Smash Cadet
This article and Chen's tweets remind me of Melee winning the donation drive for EVO last year. I remember on one stream, the moment it was confirmed that Melee had won, that Prog, instead of just going nuts over the good news, told everyone calmly that there was a lot of work to do to make EVO an unforgettable experience and basically not blow the opportunity. Prog's reaction was fantastic, and so is this article.

I'm glad this article was written. Kudos, Derrit.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
So basically, let's not have table-fipping, tantrum-throwing neckbeards representing the competitive scene, else we're going to be doomed to Melee and P:M forever.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I agree that people are going way too crazy over this. Like everyone else, hype is definitely okay, but I believe we can safely say that the pros that they "draft" to participate will not know how the game works entirely. It will be an experiment and very brawl-esk.

Still, the recognition, even though it is slight, of the competitive field is a step forward for Nintendo as a whole, and should be commended. Even though it won't be anything like EVO or APEX, it will still be exciting since it is a new game.

Another thing people are not entirely getting out of the situation is that the tournament and the demo releases will also mean that Nintendo will likely keep close to their release times. They are willing not only to show off, but have others PLAY their game at a world renowned event. The games will be on time, which is cool.

Last edited:

P0pz

Smash Rookie
It's definitely fine to be hype about this. I mean, such an event is pretty much unprecedented in smash history, and it could be really good for the scene as a whole to have Nintendo behind us.

What we really need to be careful about is how we present ourselves to them, though. So far it seems that, while Sakurai has begun acknowledging us lately, he still isn't really sure what we truly value competitively (things like making for glory FD only seem a bit misguided, almost as if Sakurai didn't really do his homework about the scene and just worked off of stereotypes about us instead). Regardless, even if they don't really follow our usual rulesets or let us do things the way we usually do, we should still be respectful of that at the tournament if we don't want to get written of as overly fanatic and not worth continuing to support. This is especially true for the players they choose to compete at the tourney, as they'll be representing us directly in front of Sakurai and Nintendo; if they make a good impression that'll reflect positively on the community as a whole.

At the end of the day, it's just great that Nintendo is finally giving us this opportunity, and it could mean big things moving forward. Lets hope it all goes well and that they will want to consider helping us more in the future.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
I just hope Nintendo doesn't try to hijack the scene, sponsor everyone, then make them play 4. O.O

I don't think Nintendo likes Melee being around very much.
Despite my "YAY Nintendo is supporting us" reaction this was my first thought when I saw the news. Nintendo could very well be planning a coup of our scene.

Cassio

Smash Master
This is one of the worst posts I've seen on smashboards, I can't believe this was front paged. The same message could have been delivered without subtly attacking Brawl or reading way to far into statements. The message makes the same mistakes it's telling others not to do in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
This is one of the worst posts I've seen on smashboards, I can't believe this was front paged. The same message could have been delivered without subtly attacking Brawl or reading way to far into statements. The message makes the same mistakes it's telling others not to do in the opposite direction.
That's a pessimistic way to look at it. I mean I don't see anywhere where they were subtly attacking Brawl; everything they said about Brawl having a shaky online infrastructure to Sakurai considering it a party game from the get go were all true things. That's not necessarily attacking Brawl.
As far as looking too much into statements, this article isn't really analyzing any statements at all. It looks at Nintendo's decision to allow this tournament and then references Nintendo's history with the competitive and online scenes and relating to a future possibility.

The message makes the same mistakes it's telling others not to do in the opposite direction.
This is a bit more subjective, so I won't really say anything.

Cassio

Smash Master
Its most likely poorly written instead of intentional, but Intention doesn't matter. Its pretty apparent how it comes across that way and isnt important to the main point at all.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I'm just hoping whoever the 16 players they pick(if they are indeed actual players from the competitive scene like M2K or ADHD etc.,) behave themselves.

there have been a few other notable tournaments where high/top level players didn't exactly act... "appropriately..." and pretty much hurt the smash community's image over all.

If anything controversial happened at an official tournament from Nintendo themselves, as they're promoting smash4, we can kiss any respect or acknowledgement from them in the future goodbye...or worse than that....

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Cassio, as someone who likes your posts and respects you and generall tried to defend all Smash games, I think your looking a bit too into it. I don't see how he is subtely attack Brawl, in all honesty. Perhaps your could provide an example?

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
I provided a quote directly from the creator of the game, and stated that Brawl's online was poorly executed. Neither of those two things are based on my opinion - they are the hard truth. At no point did I imply that Brawl is a bad game.

I appreciate your concern, but you're reading too much into it Cassio.

pickle962

Smash Lord
Don't worry bro! I imagine most of the competitive folk know how to behave at a professional event like the one Nintendo's throwing at this years E3! Also, has word been said yet on who's invited to the tourney? I'm hoping for a couple pros from the smash community to be present at the minimum!

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
So you're saying I can't turnt up for this event?

In all seriousness, I don't understand what Nintendo has against professional gaming in Smash. They're going to have leaderboards (true ones) in Mario Kart 8, but a game where leaderboards should be in, they don't have it. The way Nintendo treats their competitive fanbase is akin to a neglectful parent: they know we exist, but only care for us when it benefits them (they need the Wii U sales to pick up, so extra hype is put on this game).

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
'Relentless targeting of an individual' is grounds for a temporary ban.

Are we certain this doesn't just mean bad-mouthing players before or after matches via voice chat or regular chat/messages instead of banning for targeting a single player the entire match, like the one who is winning?

Cassio

Smash Master
I provided a quote directly from the creator of the game, and stated that Brawl's online was poorly executed. Neither of those two things are based on my opinion - they are the hard truth. At no point did I imply that Brawl is a bad game.

I appreciate your concern, but you're reading too much into it Cassio.
No, it's just left for others to imply. There's nothing being read into, either this was poorly thought out and written or mischievous. While I give the benefit of the doubt it wasnt the latter it's still poor front page content and should/could have been done without the criticism. This has been a persistent problem lately or else it might not be as much an issue.

Also, anytime you add personal context to statements as this article does its absolutely opinion.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It'd also be nice to show them that competitive smash is relevant all over the world. I hope they get involved in more countries after this, if it works out and everything. :-)

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
This amaze many ways because, smash is becoming a real competive game. Now is our chance to show our moves how badass we can play Smash. I think dat global Smash power (Short GSP) is more unique than leaderboards and I think is gonna be like mario kart Wii.
This our time, to Fight!!!

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
'Relentless targeting of an individual' is grounds for a temporary ban.

Are we certain this doesn't just mean bad-mouthing players before or after matches via voice chat or regular chat/messages instead of banning for targeting a single player the entire match, like the one who is winning?
Actually I think this is for taunt matches where 3 people all team up on you

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
What we shouldn't do: Be hyperactive fans.
For the Online Mode, what we can't do: Be hardcore trolls/butthurts.
In Best Buys...: Someone's gonna get hurt wanting to play that demo. ._.

I'm serious on the third thing, too. Someone's really gonna get hurt wanting to play those Best Buy Smash 4 demos.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Meh... some weak parts in the article. Like, whining because there is no online in Mario or Donkey Kong... seriously? I can't care less, sorry.

Why? Global Smash Power is also somewhat of a mystifying concept. Instead of ranking people in online battles, SSB 4 will rank people by their net single-player scores. This decision smacks of Nintendo's historic fear of direct competition.
yes, but that's not the whole truth.
Yes, there is a ranking with the scores.

But still Sakurai said that there will be skill-based matchmaking.
I doubt he's referring to that ranking. He's probably talking about the win-loss data in For Glory mode.

Ruben

Smash Cadet
WIFE wanted more for smash and now we have a chance to give it to him. Let's all make the pro players we know and love proud of us fans. As for us aspiring pro players, this is our chance to show professionalism and help the smash community grow. The bigger it gets the more room the seen will have for more players. Let's do it guys! United we can maximize the rewards!

Last edited:
3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Nintendo is a family-oriented company with a long history of avoiding controversial topics, politics, and competition. This article is spot on.

I also think it's important to point out, bluntly, that the Smash community has a history of profanity, vulgarity, "allegations" of cheating and collusion, and bad public relations. Arguably our best player went as an ambassador to another country and pissed off his Japanese host. Brawl's top two players tried to split the pot at MLG. There are and have been very public issues that have never really been dealt with on a satisfactory level.

Competitive Smash generates hype and also generates a lot of brand awareness for Nintendo, but having the Smash community's most prolific personalities attached permanently and semi-officially to their brand is dangerous. You know it, I know it, and even if you don't agree with me, Nintendo knows it.

They're putting a foot in the kiddie pool for a reason. The Smash community (particularly the brawl community if I'm being honest) has a lot of work to do if they want to appeal to a company like Nintendo with its traditional, family-friendly sensibilities.

Last edited:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
yall are crazy. This article is perfectly fine. Also, DK and Mario world should have had online--the lack of it, as well as the lack of voice chat during actual games in mario kart says a lot about how Nintendo wants to curate their multiplayer experiences. No one should feel bad, and if there's money on the line and people are getting knocked out of bracket and missing out on money, it seems to not fit the "feel" Nintendo is going for.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Let's say items were turned on for the tournament... Now what if in an amazing display of friendship, the top 16 players declared a truce to throw all items off the stage and respect their opponent while doing so?

However, if 4 player FFA is on... I don't know what could be done. FFA is simply a battle of who can play the most passively and in an ideal competitive scenario it would break down to just everyone trying to out-camp the others.

But either way, I'm still really excited.

Last edited:
Top Bottom