• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Brothers: Armada Reaches Kickstarter Goal!

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
The kickstarter project for the newest installment in "The Smash Brothers' documentary series has reached it's goal of 26k with 14 days to spare. The final push towards the funding goal came from a $2500 donation courtesy of the twitch.tv staff, as the leading streaming platform has also been announced as a sponsor for the film. The overall success of this donation drive however must be credited to an amazing community effort, with countless Smash enthusiasts coming together to raise funds including a 24 hour marathon stream ran by CT Zero which raised over 1.5k for the cause. Great job Smashers, chalk this up as another victory for the Smash community in 2014.

As for his plans for the next film, the newest project will be based around the untold legacy of Smash Champion "Armada" as well as Apex 2014 winner "Dr.PP" and their historic rivalries with the elite players they had to face in the Grand Finals of major events. Producer Travis "Samox" Beauchamp has high hopes for the new film and is quoted to say that "The end goal is to have something that could play in theaters; a stand-alone story that anyone, even those who know nothing of The Smash Brothers, could watch and get wrapped up in."

Hailing from Europe, Armada was one of the most dominant and decorated Melee players of all time.

For those of you who are new to TSB, the 9 part documentary series originally focused on the progression of key eras in SSBM and the 7 players who dominated them. Each player offers their own unique and compelling story of their rise to the top,showing us the steps they took to earn the title of best in the world and the territory that came with it. This behind the scenes and in-front of the screen depiction provides fantastic insight on an amazing gaming community and the personal narratives it holds. With this film you see a deeper,emotional side to each player and become immersed in the engaging story of an underground culture.

Considering the fact that Samox had to personally fund a large portion of the original series' kickstarter, TSB: Armada's triumphant donation rally is a testament to the widespread success and acclamation TSB and the Smash community at large have found.

The 9 part series quickly become viral upon release and has been attributed as one of the mains reasons for the Melee communities meteoric growth in competitive gaming.

When asked about how other influential Smash games such as Project M and Super Smash Brothers Brawl will be represented in the film, Beauchamp stated that: "The next project will be more neutral/positive in reference to the other games since it won't be about that specific arc in the Melee community". A lower point of the original film for some was the negative portrayal of the Brawl community and lack of representation in other Smash titles, so multi-game Smash fans will be excited to hear that there is potential for a somewhat more inclusive depiction in the new release.

We at Smashboards are extremely excited for the new film and are confident that Beauchamp will deliver another stellar documentary for the community to enjoy. TSB is a series that does the competitive gaming scene justice and I would without a doubt recommend it to both fans of Smash and anyone interested in learning the incredible narrative of a community that has stood the test of time.

The first episode of the 9 part series is linked below, enjoy. If you would like to support TSB: Armada, the kickstarter link can be found here.

---- T.O. Joe is an eSports lover and FGC competitor/content creator. He's a fan of the finer things in life, like jump cancel shines and characters with glides. You can find him on twitter @TorontoJoeSSB

Last edited:

ZykrathOfficial

Smash Cadet
Armada definitely helped shape SSBM into what it is today. He showed one-hundred percent that putting enough time and effort into any character can make them amazing.

Stoked it reached the Kick starter goal. Can't wait for the next episode!

Last edited:

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
Amazing news! I'm actually from the same country as Armada and hope to reach the same level of competitive play myself some day. I'm really looking forward to the next installment!

Clocked

Smash Apprentice
... Keep snubbing HBox, sure.
Yeah, I seriously wish they would've gone into a bit more detail about HBox. He got some time, but he plays the game in such a different way than most others it's surprising how little they seemed to have to say about him.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
... Keep snubbing HBox, sure.
I think it's good that he got a lot of attention in the Mango episode though since that is a strong and well known rivalry. And Hbox isn't as influential as Armada to warrant a whole movie (no disrespect to Hbox)

Osennecho

Smash Ace
I think it's good that he got a lot of attention in the Mango episode though since that is a strong and well known rivalry. And Hbox isn't as influential as Armada to warrant a whole movie (no disrespect to Hbox)
Meh... With Leffen being Fox and M2K and Armada picking up Fox for certain scenarios, Hbox, the only top player that doesn't use a spacie for any match up may play more of a role in melee's future than anyone.

Clocked

Smash Apprentice
Meh... With Leffen being Fox and M2K and Armada picking up Fox for certain scenarios, Hbox, the only top player that doesn't use a spacie for any match up may play more of a role in melee's future than anyone.

Don't talk like that. The Kage dream is alive.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
It was a friendly, but pretty sure HBox broke out Falco recently IIRC

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Very happy to see his plans on portraying more sides of the Smash community. My main gripe with the series was how it felt like "The Melee Documentary" more than anything, and while I doubt Brawl or P:M will get as much of a spotlight as Melee, it's still gratifying to see that general recognition of Smash being more than just Melee, and implied admittance of that low point in the series. I have good faith in the direction he'll take with this, as he's certainly been delivering what the Smash community needs.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I was very happy to run a succesful 24 hr marathon to raise funds for this great cause. I want to thank everyone who got involved, viewers, supporters, Clashtournaments and of course, the guests I had during the duration of it. Definitely a team effort!

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Any plans on covering Hungrybox, A.K.A. The Villian?

Juan singlehandedly caused Jigglypuff to tie for first in the 2010 tier list.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'm ready, baby!
Platinum age, 20XX, whatever, let's go!

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
it would be awesome to include footage of the smash 4 invitational.

EntropyWins

Smash Rookie
"The 9 part series quickly become viral upon release and has been attributed as one of the mains reasons for the Melee communities meteoric growth in competitive gaming."

1. Causes are not "attributed". Effects are attributed to causes. The growth of the community has been attributed to the 9 part series. Or, the series is considered one of the reasons for the meteoric growth.
2. "Communities" should be "community's".

Anyway, it's great that this is finally getting made. The series just wouldn't be complete without Armada. His only appearance that I remember (that isn't in a postscript) is a 3 second comment about how mew2king is "a bit weird".

Armada definitely helped shape SSBM into what it is today. He showed one-hundred percent that putting enough time and effort into any character can make them amazing.
Pichu is still hopeless, though :)

Last edited:

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
So hyped for the series to continue! I wonder what all it will cover? HBox, PP, Armada, late 2013 M2K (The Return of the king) The Big House 3 Grand Finals, more on Mango. It's gonna be awesome. The new resurgence of Melee with the the return of MLG, and people like Ken and KDJ coming back to the scene. Project M and Smash 4. I can't wait.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Damn. I was planning on throwing a few bucks that way too. I didn't realize how far underway this drive was already lol.
Anyway, good stuff. Can't wait to see :)

Edit: Apparently I don't know how these things work, as it looks like I can still donate 8)

Last edited:

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
Those stretch goals do seem... a bit of a stretch. It'd be cool if they were able to hit any of those goals, but the momentum of the funding really wasn't that quick.

Last edited:

DraconisMarch

Smash Apprentice

Stoked it reached the Kick starter goal. Can't wait for the next episode!
Too bad he just announced that he's switching to Fox. =/ 20XX really is here...

Top Bottom