• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If you guys haven't heard, DSX8 is importing the SSB4 Mewtwo model already. In addition to looking awesome, it might help a little with the rigging issues, though I'm no expert on such things.
He said it will be over Lucario, so, lolnope, you can have only Lucario with Mewtwo skin, bobblehead Mewtwo, THUNDERTIGHTS Smash 3 Mewtwo or SSB4 Weaktwo.
It really sucks, i know. Already prepared myself to finally get good Mewtwo, with normal proportions.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
He said it will be over Lucario, so, lolnope, you can have only Lucario with Mewtwo skin, bobblehead Mewtwo, THUNDERTIGHTS Smash 3 Mewtwo or SSB4 Weaktwo.
It really sucks, i know. Already prepared myself to finally get good Mewtwo, with normal proportions.
Aw man. Why someone would put a Mewtwo model over Lucario and not Mewtwo, I'll never know...

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
DSX8 doesn't play PM. All of his videos are of Brawl, so I'm assuming that's why.
I guess that makes sense, though as far as I know the rigging is simple enough that it just seems weird not to release it for both knowing that's what people want.

To stay on-topic, if he's not planning to do it, maybe you guys could try checking out the model yourselves (when you get the chance, of course).

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Aw man. Why someone would put a Mewtwo model over Lucario and not Mewtwo, I'll never know...
And it will have bone edits, so, f*** Wi-Fi safety. So, its pointless to leave him on Lucario when there is BrawlEx port of Mewtwo and he won't be Wi-Fi safe anyway.
To stay on-topic, if he's not planning to do it, maybe you guys could try checking out the model yourselves (when you get the chance, of course).
Even if they won't, someone else will because, well, its f***ing Mewtwo.

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I love this project, but I would love if you join your efforts with PMDev's and you make these textures the standard ones for PM. I do not like Brawl visuals neither Project M being that similar to Brawl. So this could be an opportunity to make Project M unique and "Nintendesque".

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
I guess that makes sense, though as far as I know the rigging is simple enough that it just seems weird not to release it for both knowing that's what people want.

Oh no, rigging is not as simple people assume it is, not one bit! People tend to underestimate rigging and the amount of time it takes.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I've been theory crafting this ever since dsx8 showed me the model.

I'll give a full response when I'm home and have access to my files again.

I hope it will quell the barrage of questions about mewtwo

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
The smash 3 team has about the power of Nanobuds in the Project M Arts and Alts thread. Every time you all post, I get super excited.

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
Fair enough. I have close to no idea so I'll take your word for it.
I can only know so much but main riggers at Smash 3 and other modders could explain better (I'm rigging for myself personally and it's a time consuming task), I do apologies if I sounded rude then, but the talk on Smash 4 models have been brought up before and addressed and not many know people quite understand how hard it can be on everyone.

I've been theory crafting this ever since dsx8 showed me the model.

I'll give a full response when I'm home and have access to my files again.

I hope it will quell the barrage of questions about mewtwo
Large Leader incoming!

The smash 3 team has about the power of Nanobuds in the Project M Arts and Alts thread. Every time you all post, I get super excited.
Nano is one of my fav modders out there and really is one of a kind, so thank you!

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I can only know so much but main riggers at Smash 3 and other modders could explain better (I'm rigging for myself personally and it's a time consuming task), I do apologies if I sounded rude then, but the talk on Smash 4 models have been brought up before and addressed and not many know people quite understand how hard it can be on everyone.
No worries, I knew you didn't mean it that way. I just meant that rigging to Mewtwo would be a pretty doable task for those with experience.

Guess we'll see what Drogoth's thinking.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Holy F, all this time I've been reading it as Large Ladder.
GODDAMNIT!

No worries, I knew you didn't mean it that way. I just meant that rigging to Mewtwo would be a pretty doable task for those with experience.

Guess we'll see what Drogoth's thinking.
Doable, of course.

As fast as you make it out to be? Not at all. Hell, even using skin wrap (aka auto rig) it takes a long time to perfect everything. I can barely be considered proficient at rigging imo, and even when I'm working at a good pace a model can take at least a week, if not more (hello, every model I've ever worked on).

Now, in regards to Mewtwo.

Taiko and other guys have been saying that the legs are "disconnected" from the rest of the model. But what does that mean?

Imagine moving your whole arm. Notice how some of your upper body moves along with it?
Now imagine you move your whole arm, but your upper body doesn't move at all.

If you still can't get it, here's a gif:

Normal leg+body behavior (or any life form, really)

This is how Mewtwo's looks

Notice how the purple body part thing isn't moving at all?

That's the problem.

This is what we can do to fix that problem:

1. Edit the rig of the body of the model that we use so that it moves with the leg
2. Edit every single animation so that it accounts for the fact that the body is moving with the leg

As you can see, this would be an arduous task to say the least. Especially considering that, at this point, all of us are itching to get started on other things (example: Satoshi wants to start finding things again)

Now, whether or not this was like it was in Melee or whatever isn't our concern. We're focused on getting a quality product out to everyone.

You might say "We don't care! We love your stuff!"

To that we say:

It matters to us. A lot of decisions are made based on how good the end result looks.

If it doesn't make sense, hopefully a quote from the Large Leader will make sense:

"What's the point of a good frosting, if the cake is ****?"
(cake and frosting are replaceable with one another)

Demonslayerx8

Smash Cadet
NNID
Demonslayerx8
I... i don't even know what to say about everyone here complaining about me not rigging mewtwo over P:M mewtwo. Srsly.. it's too much of a hassle for me to make a mod for PMDT. Why make mods for them if im not even part of their team, or even asked to do it? Only way i'll do mewtwo for the PMDT is if some1 from PM asked me to do it, simple as that.

And the rigging on my mewtwo will be pretty good, compared to the mewtwo rig gif Large Leader posted.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I'm sorry if anything I/we said came off as complaining. It just seemed odd that you'd choose not to do it, but now that it's clear how much time it takes it's more than understandable.
Doable, of course.

As fast as you make it out to be? Not at all.You might say "We don't care! We love your stuff!"

To that we say:

It matters to us. A lot of decisions are made based on how good the end result looks.
I respect that this may be an unreasonably large task and won't press any further. The end of your post confuses me as to what you guys plan to do, though. It seems that people are still conflicted about the current Smash 3 Mewtwo rig, and you stress the team's care over how the end result looks, but this doesn't seem to be an option. What happens now, then?

Taiko

Smash Ace
I'm sorry if anything I/we said came off as complaining. It just seemed odd that you'd choose not to do it, but now that it's clear how much time it takes it's more than understandable.
I respect that this may be an unreasonably large task and won't press any further. The end of your post confuses me as to what you guys plan to do, though. It seems that people are still conflicted about the current Smash 3 Mewtwo rig, and you stress the team's care over how the end result looks, but this doesn't seem to be an option. What happens now, then?
We don't really have any future plans for Mewtwo, that model is likely final. Our team doesn't really play P:M anymore, and Mewtwo and Roy were meant as extras that we felt like doing at the time. That said, current Roy is pretty poor quality, so we'll be fixing that up for sure.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
We don't really have any future plans for Mewtwo, that model is likely final. Our team doesn't really play P:M anymore, and Mewtwo and Roy were meant as extras that we felt like doing at the time. That said, current Roy is pretty poor quality, so we'll be fixing that up for sure.
Alright, works for me! I appreciate the straightforward answer.

NXero

Smash Apprentice
Well... DSX8, I think you're cool and love your work (seriously), but in that post you seem a bit... rude?
The hate* that PM gets from some people (ughh, Kyouma) is kind of childish, I understand that you don't like the mod, maybe you don't like the speed or the community for "abandoning" brawl, but to me and a lot of people, it's the only way to play the game now.
No, the PMDT won't ask you to import a model for them, the same way Sakurai isn't asking you to do it for vBrawl; you do it for the community.
And don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less about the new Mewtwo model and I know that it would take a lot of effort to make it work for PM Mewtwo, it's just that you sound like the PMDT rejected you or something in that post, and now I feel kinda dissapointed...
*I don't know your stance regarding the mod
PD. I'm looking forward to your Kalos stage.

Sorry for my super broken english and off-topic post.

On topic: I've been following your project since a few months ago (and 3C too), and I love your work, I haven't downloaded anything yet, because I want the complete package, but once it's finished I'm gonna use it and will never look back! (except for a few imports here and there, like HWLink). Keep up the excelent work and take your time with it!

ImThatGuy

Smash Cadet
Well... DSX8, I think you're cool and love your work (seriously), but in that post you seem a bit... rude?
The hate* that PM gets from some people (ughh, Kyouma) is kind of childish, I understand that you don't like the mod, maybe you don't like the speed or the community for "abandoning" brawl, but to me and a lot of people, it's the only way to play the game now.
No, the PMDT won't ask you to import a model for them, the same way Sakurai isn't asking you to do it for vBrawl; you do it for the community.
And don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less about the new Mewtwo model and I know that it would take a lot of effort to make it work for PM Mewtwo, it's just that you sound like the PMDT rejected you or something in that post, and now I feel kinda dissapointed...
*I don't know your stance regarding the mod
PD. I'm looking forward to your Kalos stage.

Sorry for my super broken english and off-topic post.

On topic: I've been following your project since a few months ago (and 3C too), and I love your work, I haven't downloaded anything yet, because I want the complete package, but once it's finished I'm gonna use it and will never look back! (except for a few imports here and there, like HWLink). Keep up the excelent work and take your time with it!
Or, he just doesnt want to do it, at the end of the day, hes the one putting in the work, so he could do what he wants with it, sure, you can do something for the community, but if you dont want to, theres nothing wrong with it lol

drogoth232

Smash Lord
It's not the only way to play. It's the only way that some people choose to play.

They have a choice, they aren't forced to play PM against their wills.

I think he does it more for himself than anyone lol.

it's just that you sound like the PMDT rejected you or something in that post, and now I feel kinda dissapointed...
I don't think you understand how little he cares for Project M. He gets a bunch of PMs asking to put stuff in PM, so he's kinda tired of it. I would be too.

ONTOPIC: We've been talking... a lot.

I don't think we've gotten anywhere.

Nothing to show yet... I think?

Last edited:

NXero

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I understand perfectly, I would've snapped already, plus he does great things even if he's only thinking about himself, so he can be as selfish as he wants!

And I'm gonna return to stalking-from-the-shadows mode again... watching every single update and edit...

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
Smash 4 Mewtwo will be in your custom builds one day.

I promise.

[/offtopic]

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Today is a good day indeed!

Debut Roster 0.png

Note: Once again this is showing all characters that are done in the new style already (and released in the new style). Hence the absence of some of the completed characters in the OP.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Are you guys doing all the characters or is Smash 3C doing more work for u guys?
Smash 3C took the mantle of Snake due to time constraints the the Smash 3 team is having at the moment finishing/revamping the rest of the cast not already in the new style.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Smash 3C took the mantle of Snake due to time constraints the the Smash 3 team is having at the moment finishing/revamping the rest of the cast not already in the new style.
I thought it was a joke and Salad Snack was part of it.
This is how Mewtwo's looks

...thats very stupid. Who rigged it like that and why? Is it something about Lucario, because of Melee or they just messed it up?

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Who the hell else would have rigged it? That model didn't even exist until Mewtwo was announced for Project M. It's all their work. Lol
The model actually did exist before, if not as refined (Starwaffle's Mewtwo), but as for why they chose to rig it that way is beyond me. Maybe it's because they had difficulty translating the model's legs to that kind of movement.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Who the hell else would have rigged it? That model didn't even exist until Mewtwo was announced for Project M. It's all their work. Lol
Thats the joke.
And technically, it existed before he was announced. Even if its not Starwaffle's model, it was seen on one of the screenshots of Pokemon Stadium (which one? i dunno), on the screen in the background.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Why don't you guys just ask them? They are right there, here, everywhere, up there near the top of this window. Hopefully one of the devs could clear up the confusion and theorization before anything... heated... occurs... again.

For what I've seen so far (both PMBR and S3) rigging takes time to do, and it requires extensive tests with all the animations to see if it works right. And many errors are quite easily to be overlooked, especially when we are talking about model editing without altering its moveset. (I had seen some bizarre things)

I may be wrong since this isn't my thing, but I felt that I sorta needed to say that out of nowhere.

Top Bottom