• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I don't just want to thank you guys for awesome textures, but for constantly answering everyone's questions and taking the time to respond to our posts. I am seriously hyped for tjhe full pack.

Taiko

Smash Ace

The King of Evil is here! Sporting a new design for Smash 3, he's ready to Smash!

And we've got a question for everyone. Would you like us to release our PSD files for these textures? This would allow anyone to make edits to the textures as they see fit, and recolours would be extremely simple to make.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio

The King of Evil is here! Sporting a new design for Smash 3, he's ready to Smash!

And we've got a question for everyone. Would you like us to release our PSD files for these textures? This would allow anyone to make edits to the textures as they see fit, and recolours would be extremely simple to make.

releasing the .PDS's would be awesome!

A few questions for ya:

1. Would it be possible to put toon links eyebrows over his hair like in the wind waker games?
2. Have you guys updated FitMario00? It looked kinda washed out compared to his other beautifully plastic colorings.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely release the PSDs. Shun and I were planning on releasing PSDs for all of AbyssWolf's pixel art we turned into battle portraits, and I have a very neat method of organizing all of this information in a PSD which I've refined from doing so many character texture, CSP and BP recolors.

Taiko, you should send me a sample PSD file. I'd like to look over it and see what method you use to break up the image for easy, clean editing; and then see what I may be able to do to make it even smoother. That way these PSDs are as user-friendly as possible. Download, open, quick changes, save out, done.

HMU

Also, super sick Ganon. We uhhh... should see what that looks like on the Melee model. :smirk:

EDIT: **** that Ganon looks good.

Taiko

Smash Ace
A few questions for ya:

1. Would it be possible to put toon links eyebrows over his hair like in the wind waker games?
2. Have you guys updated FitMario00? It looked kinda washed out compared to his other beautifully plastic colorings.
1. Not that I know of, sadly. If anyone has an idea, PM me and I'd like to try it out!
2. We have not. He's exactly the same since when we've released him...but I may update him soon. What? Nothing here, move along.

Taiko, you should send me a sample PSD file. I'd like to look over it and see what method you use to break up the image for easy, clean editing; and then see what I may be able to do to make it even smoother. That way these PSDs are as user-friendly as possible. Download, open, quick changes, save out, done.
That sounds excellent. It seems Shun's already beat me to it, so I can't wait to see what you come up with!

And it looks like we'll be releasing PSDs. When? We'll see!

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Also, if you're looking for more Smash 3, I'll be posting random screen-shots of things over on my Tumblr blog. I'll be mentioning recolor inspiration, over all design influences, and even posting some unseen stuff on occasion. We do have plans for a more "purely Smash 3" thing, but for now, if you're looking for more Smash 3 things, check it out.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Absolutely release the PSDs. Shun and I were planning on releasing PSDs for all of AbyssWolf's pixel art we turned into battle portraits, and I have a very neat method of organizing all of this information in a PSD which I've refined from doing so many character texture, CSP and BP recolors.

HMU

Also, super sick Ganon. We uhhh... should see what that looks like on the Melee model. :smirk:

EDIT: **** that Ganon looks good.
SHOW US ALL!

Thethiala

Smash Rookie
This is glorious. My only problem is that when using this the other non-modified characters seem so bland in comparison. :c
I'm looking forward to more character revamps from you in the future (fingers crossed for Marth next).

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
Yesssss! Ganon looks fantastic guys! Great work :D Now all I need is dat Falcon tho :p

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
And now it's time for me to finally make my Smash 3 debut!​
It's a very early work in progress, and there's still a lot of work to be done.​
But rest assured, this is nothing more than a mere taste of what you can expect to see very soon!​
I also wish you all Happy Holidays!​

Patt Anderson

PMPE Architect
I know this is an odd question but does your smash 3 version of Ganondorf do any different texture editing than one would normally do? When Itried to use the popular ganon sword mod with your smash 3 skin it was the only skin I had that would freeze up upon transferring to sword ganon mode. This could be beyond what you know/care about but its just a question for you. Also originally ganon works fine as well. If you do not know I'll ask the main thread for ganonsword about this. I just love the smash 3 skins and it's sad that I cannot use it alongside ganon sword.
^The above is my question... No idea why it's a quote. Oh well. It's christmas :)

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
^The above is my question... No idea why it's a quote. Oh well. It's christmas :)
That is very bizarre. I will look into this. It's possible that you're encountering a file-size limit with the Ganonsword files and the Smash 3 files (they are slightly larger due to rim lighting). If the problem is filesize, you can cut the size of some of the Smash 3 textures in half and try them out. If it works, then it's file size causing the freeze.

---

Just gotta get some Rim Lighting on this fellow.

Fun fact: We had the model made for Smash 3 and had been planning to do this Marth before Sakurai revealed Smash 4 Marth. Since he did reveal it, it made our job easier.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Ooh! Will his face be a little more masculine-looking like in Smash 4? I can't tell from the screenshot.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Have you guys seen Zelda's new look on the Dojo today? She looks mighty FIERCE in some of those pics!

http://www.smashbros.com/sp/us/characters/zelda.html

As you can see it's her Twilight Princess look being used once again, so it looks like Skyward Zelda's cuteness won't make it in :( but I guess it makes sense since that Zelda might've been too sweet for Smash bouts. At least it'll make your job easier since Smash 3 Zelda won't need a huge model overhaul anymore.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I can't hold myself. The work done here is quite amazing. I'm especially curious as to how you're gonna apply the Smash 3 texturing to Snake since... Well, he sorta fits in the whole realistic, grungy style that Brawl has. :snake:

Rage83

Smash Ace
Try putting Brawl Peach's textures on Smash 3 Peach, and you'll see that they are EXACTLY THE SAME, aside from rim lighting.

Taiko

Smash Ace
To clear it up, we haven't used any model edits yet. They're all the vBrawl models with drastically altered textures. This however, is a model:

Taiko

Smash Ace
Depending on the character, it can take a while or not long at all. I did the updated Sonic in about a day, but recolours and menu stuff eat up even more time. Depending on how easy the character is to recolour, that can take a while.

Kurukato87

Smash Apprentice
Your textures look great, I used them in my 2.6 build, I'm waiting to put new textures back in because last time I changed the wrong CSPs on some characters. The new Sonic looks great by the way, kinda looks like a mixture of Classic and Modern to me.

K.Louis

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2836-0421-0500
Can you make SJS's CSP/BP's/CSS the default for the non-Smash 3 characters while they're still unfinished?

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
That is very bizarre. I will look into this. It's possible that you're encountering a file-size limit with the Ganonsword files and the Smash 3 files (they are slightly larger due to rim lighting). If the problem is filesize, you can cut the size of some of the Smash 3 textures in half and try them out. If it works, then it's file size causing the freeze.

---

Just gotta get some Rim Lighting on this fellow.

Fun fact: We had the model made for Smash 3 and had been planning to do this Marth before Sakurai revealed Smash 4 Marth. Since he did reveal it, it made our job easier.
Can we get a lucinia mask on this guy?

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Happy New Year to everyone!

To kick off the Smash 3 hype train for 2014, I'll share a preview of how Samus is coming along so far.
And for those of you who are wondering why her textures look fairly similar to her regular Brawl textures, here's a short summary of my thoughts on her current design and how I decided to approach it.
It was kind of tricky for me to find the right style for Samus at first. I didn't want to replicate how she appeared in the Prime Trilogy, but at the same time I also didn't want to make her too bright and colorful, fearing she would look terribly out of place in relation to the rest of the cast. Metroid has a very different general art style from other franchises like Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong. Even though a bright and colorful appearance worked fairly well in Melee, I think it would be weird to see her like that in a game where the amount of detail is much greater.

So I settled for a middle ground that incorporates a mix between Melee, Brawl, and Smash Wii U.
I basically took her Brawl textures and details and enhanced the quality of them, while adding a combination of color, brightness, and vibrancy from Melee and Smash Wii U. I also noticed that the Brawl model has an incredibly high amount of gloss on the armor's spec map, so I toned those down to similarly match the level of gloss her armor has in the Prime games.

However, I'm still learning and experimenting with different tools and methods, and what is being shown so far is still subject to change.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
A New Year, a new character!

Though the default colour hasn't been touched, the recolours have all received adjustments to better match Smash 3.

In addition, I have a small preview of what's to come in 2014!

Well, I can't seem to edit my posts so the OP has not been updated yet. It will be updated as soon as I can! The pack has been updated with Game & Watch though, so you can grab either the pack or the individual download. Enjoy!

Nguz95

Smash Lord
That Jigglypuff looks so clean. I love it. I don't really notice too many differences between the new and old G&Ws, but i wasn't expecting too many changes.

Top Bottom