• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sly Cooper Thread

Supersteve45

Smash Rookie
A thread made to talk about my personal favorite stealth/platforming game series; Sly Cooper. What's your favorite game in the series? (Mine's Sly 2)

Last edited:
I'm currently replaying the Sly games for the first time in 10 trillion years, so I will soon have an answer for your question. I remember liking 2 the best, though.

One thing's for certain - nobody's favorite is Sly 1.

finalark

SNORLAX
One thing's for certain - nobody's favorite is Sly 1.
Sly 1's problem is that, aside from inconsistently implemented stealth elements, it's pretty indistinguishable from pretty much every other 3D platformer ever made.

The other one you won't hear anyone claim as a favorite is Sly 4, a 2013 game that plays like something out of 2007. Not to mention that, despite there being an eight year gap between games, it still manages to come off as stagnant.

Last edited:
The other one you won't hear anyone claim as a favorite is Sly 4, a 2013 game that plays like something out of 2007. Not to mention that, despite there being an eight year gap between games, it still manages to come off as stagnant.
I've still managed to never touch Sly 4, but I probably will just for closure. Pretty much the only thing I've seen from it is that horrifying Carmelita redesign.

Aidan25

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aidan
3DS FC
0361-7892-7562
I'm still in the middle of the first one, I haven't had a lot of time to play it but I will next month onwards. The one thing I don't like about Sly Racoon/Cooper is that random things can sometimes kill you when you least expect it and call me a crybaby but it made me have to restart the entire level right near the end :( I really like the art style, music and gameplay. My brother bought the trilogy for the PS Vita and he says it's good but I'd like to know what you lot think about it. I need to buy single copies of the rest in the series though.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've still managed to never touch Sly 4, but I probably will just for closure. Pretty much the only thing I've seen from it is that horrifying Carmelita redesign.
IMO it's not really worth playing. The third games gives enough closure as it is. Sly 4 awkwardly implements motion controls all the goddamn time (in 2013, I might add), does so little to build upon and add to the gameplay that even thought it had been a good eight years since Sly 3 it still came off as "been there, done that" and on top of all of that it has a horribly BS twist that takes a piss all over a certain character.

I might give it another chance some day, but everyone else I've ever talked to about the series agrees that Sly 4 sucked. Honestly, the only reason why I struggled to the end was because I bought it on launch day and wanted to get my $40 out of it. Aside from Evil Within, I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a game.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I've only ever played Sly 1 and liked it a lot and have been meaning to play the others.

Tho I do have Sly 4 on me cause reasons but I haven't played it yet cause I wanted to play 2 and 3 first.

finalark

SNORLAX
Has anyone heard about the Sly Cooper movie coming out, if so what are your thoughts?
I'm pretty indifferent towards it, although I imagine I'll probably go see it because:

A: Nostalgia

B: Sly 5's existence depends on this movie's performance. And while I love Nintendo I don't want to live in a boring world where 3D platformers are nonexistent outside of the indie scene and the Big N.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
B: Sly 5's existence depends on this movie's performance. And while I love Nintendo I don't want to live in a boring world where 3D platformers are nonexistent outside of the indie scene and the Big N.
You mean like right now?

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Sly 2's the best one for me, I think. The characters in that game are the most memorable to me.

I actually have the entire collection remastered for the PS3. Unfortunately, there are some aspects that were taken away from said version that I miss, especially in Sly 1. Perhaps the most infamous was battling Mz. Ruby in the HD edition of the 1st game ; the music is totally desynched, I had to mute my TV in order to complete it.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
That's really unfortunate. The Mz Ruby fight is one the most fun in the entire game IMO.
Yes, exactly. She was the most fun boss in that game just because of how she was fought.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
What's up with older games getting worse or straight up broken on more powerful hardware? I'm still confused.

Supersteve45

Smash Rookie
What's up with older games getting worse or straight up broken on more powerful hardware? I'm still confused.
Idk man, I was playing Sly 2 on the ps3 a while ago and it was glitchy as hell. The game froze and I just gave up and went back to the ps2 version.

finalark

SNORLAX
Devs using hardware tricks on older consoles that newer consoles can't replicate.

Devs doing a sloppy porting job because they see HD collections as a way to make a quick buck.

Devs being forced to do a sloppy porting job because they no longer have the source code for the original game.

Take your pick.

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Idk man, I was playing Sly 2 on the ps3 a while ago and it was glitchy as hell. The game froze and I just gave up and went back to the ps2 version.
Huh, that's weird. My copy wasn't as glitchy when I booted up Sly 2.

Supersteve45

Smash Rookie
What do you all think of Sly 4?

Edit: btw sorry for double posting I'm to smashboards :facepalm:

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
I still need to get Thieves in Time. It's on my "Games to Buy" list.

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
I personally didn't like thieves in time because of the load times, but mostly because (Real spoiler ahead)
All of the new characters you got were just another sly, save bob. They felt like their special abilities were pointless (especially Sir Galleth because they nerfed Sly's hook jump to justify his existence)
All that aside, my favourite was probably 1 or 2 because I liked the layout and mission style of 2, but like the health system of 1 better.

Top Bottom