• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sig Critique Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Welcome Victum. :reverse:

I actually do like the 1st one, but the bg is kind of bright. It's nearly as white as the brightest highlight on her shoulder, so she doesn't stand out enough as a focal. Basically you want to balance out your values so your background and subject aren't competing for attention. For a similar reason I think the text should be some tone that's more subtle.

2nd one's got a great color scheme. Those white lines are so bright though that again they distract from Sonic, plus because of their direction and how they're so abruptly chopped off at the side, they lead the viewer's eye away from the sig which you don't really want. Save the brightest color/white for your main area of interest, let other parts of the composition just fall back.

Victum

Smash Rookie
So, I can't find my edit copy for the Sonic one, HOWEVER.
I edited my Alice one a little, better or worse?
Changed it to purple and burned the text. I still can't place it near the render sadly.

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
Harro I'm back.
I don't think anyone remembers me though lol i took such a long hiatus. I forget which tags I had back then, so I'll just post some of my better recent ones:

I have a textless one too^

I have a non-******** looking hair one too^

I have a better version but apparently it's locked... so I can't upload^

I'm guessing this place isn't really active going by post dates... but I dunno where else to post this.

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
edit: I should probably give some feed back...my favourite out of all the ones evoke posted is the last one, the blend of red blue and green works well, what I feel the others have is too high a contrast between the background/foreground and the characters (1st/3rd) still though, I like the lighting in both of them. Mad vibrant.

Hey, i'm new to this sig thing and this is just some stuff that I made for my crew

most recent:

and the other ones, mine was made first when I began using photoshop as a scrub :D
I've seen some stuff in other sigs and I was like "oh my god that's so cool" but mine looks all pastel ish :glare:

oh gosh I feel so scrubbish :X

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Hey, i'm new to this sig thing and this is just some stuff that I made for my crew
most recent:

and the other ones, mine was made first when I began using photoshop as a scrub :D
I've seen some stuff in other sigs and I was like "oh my god that's so cool" but mine looks all pastel ish :glare:

Those are really awesome sigs there. I really like them and how unique you made them. I could use opinions on my current sigs since making sigs is really new for me.

:phone:

Evil-Guy

Smash Journeyman
Critique please? I didn't even get a critique on my last one >_<

I don't know what you did but this one is really a gem stone. :bee:

Its cute, very personal and creative. :)
As you make more things you'll know the program better so you can create more intricate things in the future (that you can invision).

EDIT: oh it cut off your sig, still what I said above :bee:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
edit: I should probably give some feed back...my favourite out of all the ones evoke posted is the last one, the blend of red blue and green works well, what I feel the others have is too high a contrast between the background/foreground and the characters (1st/3rd) still though, I like the lighting in both of them. Mad vibrant.

most recent:

I really wouldn't call them scrubbish at all. The only real issue I'm seeing (because, face it, making crew sigs should be simple and you did a great job of that) is cutting your renders a little better. Did you find them yourself or were they precut in .PNG format?

I would seriously recommend the pen tool in Photoshop for fine detailing, if not, magnetic wand if it's an all white background to make life easy, or the magnetic lasso (typically used). Otherwise? I think they look fine. Don't think your work is scrubbish.

BlackKnight23

Smash Apprentice

As you make more things you'll know the program better so you can create more intricate things in the future (that you can invision).

I like it really brings out peaches alternate.

I would have to agree with yink just work on the rendering a little bit more otherwise I like it as a character sheet looks pretty sweet.

Ok here is another crack at the vector sig department. For some reason I am drawn to these.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero

Thanks for that! I have a lot of envisioned signatures I'd like to make. Most of her Parasol was cut when I took the in game snap shot. Rendering is still new for me. Sometimes the background makes it a tad difficult when I zoom in when using the magic pen since it kinda blends with her white dress.

I would have to agree with yink just work on the rendering a little bit more otherwise I like it as a character sheet looks pretty sweet.
Thank you! I'll be practicing for sure. It is kinda a bummer that the snapshot uploader in down again so I can't get more images on her then get them on my folder and then render them. I already mentioned it to Bionic but he'll check it out when he has free time. It is a pity the trail PS I used allowed me to copy/paste stuff and then put it in my projects. The older version doesn't allow me to do that.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Just a note that I've always found renders that cut off into the void of image borders somewhat ugly; I understand that the full umbrella would make it super-tall, and including Peach's full dress would be kind of silly, but surely there must be a better way to handle the size restraints.

The same applies to this image here:

The bottom right makes sense, since Marth is "inside" the background box, but his head being abruptly cut off by nothing just introduces a visually jarring effect.

I guess I'll leave this thing for comments and critiques, for the time being.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Just a note that I've always found renders that cut off into the void of image borders somewhat ugly; I understand that the full umbrella would make it super-tall, and including Peach's full dress would be kind of silly, but surely there must be a better way to handle the size restraints.

I guess I'll leave this thing for comments and critiques, for the time being.
Size wise I think if I took the picture from a more zoomed out range it may be a tad more difficult. I do agree about the cut outs. The smaller characters do have it easier. I did have more snap shots but I have to wait patiently until it gets fixed. my whole album on my profile there are cuts offs but I did focus on getting good close range shots. If you have better suggestions I'm open to them.

For your signature there I honestly don't see anything to improve on. I really like the eyes.

:phone:

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Aisight, great colors around the border and within the eyes. But symmetrical compositions have always been kind of... eh to me. My eyes aren't really drawn to many specific focal areas. I see one side, and feel like the other doesn't have anything different to offer. Rule of Thirds and all that jazz.

I never quite understood the appeal behind transparent text, it ends up being difficult to read in most cases. I can't think of a good place to put it, maybe if it was smaller, darker, and curved beneath one of the eyes? The font is actually pretty nice, I think the text would complement the sig if placed a little better. I also like how the edges are rounded instead of squared off.

Also, could people turn their signatures off in this thread unless they want them reviewed? Thanks.

Evil-Guy

Smash Journeyman

this is gorgeous! :bee:

(hold on editing post to comment on other stuff :bee:

Drop shadow on the bottom right isnt really cutting it in my opinion. I think it grabs too much attention. Then again if you take it out it could mess with the composition. :bee: Mess around with compositions and balance a bit more. :)
Anyways this is really entertaining, a really old style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom