• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Scarlet Web

MojoMan

Smash Ace
I was bored in m biology class today, so I wrote this up.

I stood at the door of a man whose name I knew not. I only knew that I had an anger, a burning passion in me that longed for retribution. There was sweat at my brow, and a loaded pistol at my hand. My finger rested underneath the trigger, almost jumping at the prospect of the events that would soon unfold. I knocked twice on the door, my fists weak with anxiety. After what seem like a lifetime, I heard the chain slide from the door, and it opened slowly.

A man stood there, his head cocked as if he was about to ask a question. Whatever it was, I will never know. I raised my arm until the gun was centered on his chest, and my shaking finger was shaking no more. The gun stung my hand, like touching a hot stove for only a moment. The man contorted, struck in the chest by unforgiving metal. His blood painted the wall, as he fell to the floor. It seemed as if time had slowed, his eyes meeting mine as his unmoving body hit the ground. I never even heard his head crash against his hard-wood paneling. My ears were numb from the gunshot.

The blood inched across his chest, a scarlet web woven by death's cold fingers. It licked the seems of his shirt as his eyes widened in agony. He drank in his last cold moment of life, and then his eyes shut for the last time.

I stayed frozen, still pointing the gun at the now lifeless man. My breathing became heavy, breaking the chilling silence that followed my execution. At last my knees buckled, and I fell to the floor, sending small bursts of pain up my leg. The blood of the man splashed upwards, splattering my coat like a child's painting. Finally my arm's fell as well, and my gun rattled and spun several times before lying still, dancing on the grave of its victim and reveling in its grisly misdeeds.

I looked around the room. The walls were blank, except for the man's blood. They taunted me, seeming to display the man's bleak future. They were canvases that he could never fill, an eerie reminder for the house's residents to be. But it was over. I looked at the fruits of my machinations, how they led me to sin. There was no time to look back now. Only time to decide whether to run or hide. However, neither seemed right. Guilt swept over me, a visceral sensation that seemed to tear me open from the inside out. It was too much effort. Too much effort to run or hide. Too much effort for a guilt-ridden low-life like me.

I slowly leaned over, and picked up my blood-soaked weapon, my companion to the looming doorstep of the afterlife. I pressed the ice-cold barrel underneath my shaking chin. I cocked the barrel, and let the bullet bite into my skin.

*edited

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
You write well, but this scene is a little overwrought. Sometimes, less is more.

My finger rested underneath the trigger, almost jumping at the prospect of the events that would soon unfold. I knocked twice on the door, my fists weak with anxiety.
Those two lines contradict each other. Is his hand anxious or weak?

After what seem like a lifetime, I heard the chain slide from the door, and it opened slowly.
It seemed to last a lifetime,
You don't want to use that phrase twice in a piece as short as this (actually, you don't want to use that phrase in any piece).

The man contorted, as if he had been struck in the chest.
Wasn't he struck in the chest? So why the "as if?"

The blood inched across his chest, a scarlet web woven by death's cold fingers. It licked the seems of his shirt as his eyes widened in agony.
This is a really, really excellent section.

I stayed frozen, still pointing the gun at the now lifeless man. My breathing became heavy, breaking the chilling silence that followed my execution. Finally my knees buckled, and I fell to the floor, sending small bursts of pain up my leg. The blood of the man splashed upwards, splattering my coat like a child's painting. Finally my arm's fell as well, and my gun hit the floor with a clank and a splash. It rattled and spun several times before lying still, dancing on the grave of its victim and reveling in its grisly misdeeds.
You don't want to use that word twice so closely, and I struck out the last sentence for basically being a repeat of the one before it.

I looked around the room. The walls were blank, except for the man's blood. They taunted me, seeming to display the man's bleak future. They were empty canvases that he could never fill, an eerie reminder for the house's residents to be. But it was over. I looked at the fruits of my lengthy machinations, how they led me to this most grievous sin. There was no time to look back now. Only time to decide whether to run or hide. However, neither seemed right. Guilt swept over me, a visceral sensation that seemed to tear me open from the inside out. It was too much effort. Too much effort to run or hide. Too much effort for a guilt-ridden low-life like me.
I bolded the adjectives in this paragraph to show you how many you have. Adjectives (and adverbs) are the worst kind of enemy: they pretend to be your friend while stabbing you in the back. They seem like they give your writing more urgency, but in fact they weigh it down and make it clumsy. This sentence is the perfect example:

They were empty canvases that he could never fill,
"empty" and "never fill" mean the same thing.

You have talent, you just need to work on tightening up your style. I hope these suggestions help.

MojoMan

Smash Ace
You write well, but this scene is a little overwrought. Sometimes, less is more.

Those two lines contradict each other. Is his hand anxious or weak?

well the idea with that was that his hands were shaking because of the anxiety. I didn't even realize the rest of it while I was writing. Thanks!

BTW, I'm not really sure what the practices are in this section. When given suggestions, should I immediately cahnge it or wait for other critique?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Well, you don't have to change anything. They're just suggestions, and if you don't agree, just ignore them. Either way, it's totally up to you, and you can either change it now or wait to see what other people think.

Top Bottom