• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Samus Boards are at Peace | The Dead Social

i made this poll before polls were cool

• Total voters

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Less activity is rearing itself in the boards again. :( Definitely get any kind of videos for anyone at least! It still is a shame how you can't right now. I'm terrible with Samus to be honest, I'm a HM because I go to the tournaments but I ever enter. =P I was even offered free entry but I didn't want my tournament nerves to bother me so I just did things for friendlies and that's it. I didn't even want to be on PR -_- I used to be like 6th when I mained Zero Suit and entered stuff. The ZSS vs Samus MU seems pretty bad due to Samus being super slow and not being able to keep up. :/ Unless you're Xyro of course.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Yeah I noticed the lessening activity. :(

Actually Samus is pretty middling in terms of mobility she just seems slower compared to characters like ZSS and Sheik; I keep up just fine with my friend Torvus's ZSS. The MU is all about who can get the other on the defensive given ZSS has poor defensive options against pressure and Samus being on the defensive is letting ZSS win. It's also a battle of whom can get under the other given both forms of Samus have great Uairs and can combo very well with them. At worst I say it would stay at -1 but I feel it's pretty even given Samus has good options against momentum based characters like ZSS and DK.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Damn activity is going back down in the drain....and well I wouldn't know this since I don't have consistent characters to play sadly....I mainly end up playing Link aka LordXav1er. >.< DK vs Samus is so fun as Samus. Until he gets in your face...that could be even. :p

Sarix

Smash Ace
I feel the DK MU can be even as well, and I agree it's one of my favorite MUs to play, aside from it being a match between 2 of the classic 12. He has greater range on his normal moves but he is a big target which Samus loves to shoot stuff at and combo on.

I only have a handful of characters to play against myself for MU experience. Overall the more I play Samus the more I find her fairly well-rounded and only really have trouble killing even in MUs that are technically considered -2 for her.

I wonder if DtJ has finished looking at my Samus write-up yet? If we can get that posted we may attract some more people.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Is anyone planning to go to APEX? :3 Also, it probably is even because Samus can either keep him out well or DK ends up getting in and bringing the hurt. That's good to hear, hopefully you can show more and more people what Samus can do. ;) I'm pretty sure he has even though he hasn't posted in awhile..

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I don't get how anyone could think the MU is even for samus lol. I mean it's possible to create a pesudo barrier against DK that forces him to get damage as he tries to get in, but he IS gonna get in. very few of samus's combos work on a DK who can SDI worth a damn. I often get good hits or even kills because samus do up B on my DK when I'm <90%, and I can DI out, fastfall down, and down smash.
the only successful barrier I've seen created against DK, and against my DK, was when the samus managed to get a charge shot ready, and did missile. when DK falls and swings, charge shot trade or out prioritize it, and DK flies away. shoot a missile and get another charge shot ready. it's good for a couple reps and can net you 90 or so damage on DK.
The good thing is samus has moderately safe **** on dk, like falling uair on DK's shield landing behind him is safe. I think the matchup is around -1 because of DK's **** once he gets in. it would be even if that was demonstratively preventable, but this has yet to be proven. a Samus's fate in the matchup depends on how little samus gets bodied once DK jumps in.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
The match is even because samus absolutely has the tools to keep DK out. The thing that makes it even rather than in samus' favor in that regard is that if/when the samus makes too many mistakes or bad decisions and the DK gets in, it's very easy to take a stock that way.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I would like to see it happen. I can see the situations and I think it's THEORETICALLY possible, I just don't think it's going to happen. basically, as samus you have to have the perfect solution every time DK jumps in.
all of bair goes through:
-both kinds of missiles
-charge shot at <half charge or so
-one hit of bomb (but who's really using it in that situation any way.
you can get under him with rising uair but he goes through the oter aerials, or gets away with only 3 damage taken from something like the first hit of fair.
the only defense I've seen is when a samus anticipates the bair and short missiles once, then delays the other missile punishing bair. then run through, try again, etc.

DK's f tilt goes through all the aforementioned projectiles as well, though power missiles cancel with f tilt. I've never seen a samus be able to handle a mix of f tilts and power shielding from DK. I feel like a DDD walking forward lol.
I know it's possible, but we're not here for the far away theory. we're here for doable strats that have been, or soon will be used for the matchup.

oh and before you mention up tilt, up tilt is a terribly unsafe option unless you're doing a hard read. DK's bair trades with it (making it a viable kill move for samus definitely) and if he air dodges then free downsmash ahoy. Just in case you wanted to bring up the other anti air lol.

oh and zair: it's pretty damn good against DK I guess. problem is if you full jump zair and DK airdodges in a full hop, he gets a free bair (or nair but not the others despite direction). If you falling zair, DK will cancel it with bair or just not get hit by it. I mean, he's above you lol. that's the basis of the situation. you jump up in anticipation of DK's aerials, and a smart DK won't let it phase him after the 2nd or 3rd time.

Sarix

Smash Ace
If the Samus can't handle a mix of tilt cancels and powershielding for their opponent's method of approach they probably aren't a very good Samus. I typically harp on players who try to powershield approach with Samus's shield pressure game for punishment through Fair, Uair, Charge Shot, and Missiles. A good samus should be able to wall her opponents with aerials along with projectiles and Zair otherwise her defensive game gets too predictable.

Even with SDI, I don't see it preventing Samus from comboing DK decently since he's a size, weight class,
and falling speed that screams to Samus pressure him. I expect people to be able to SDI out of Fair and given its modest cooldown I can change gears without too much trouble to adjust to the situation. If DK gets Bair happy he's likely set himself up for a few rising Uairs since logic denotes he'll be in the air above Samus by a bit.

Our Utilt shouldn't be used outside of reads and platform control anyway given its start-up time. DK does have great range on his aerials but we have the speed to beat them at coming out on most of ours making it similar to a reverse case of the Sheik MU for us where we are the longer ranged yet a bit slower one.

Even if DK gets in Samus still has some spacing and escape options even though she'll likely eat quite a bit of percent in the process.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
DK can DI out of uair unless you are rising into him and have already started the move. fair is easily DI-able as well. All the stuff you talk about walling DK out is possible. Samus has been my 3rd since day 1 of brawl. It just never happens. walking and powershielding is viable but if DK swings wrong he's likely to get hit by zair. here's the thing: if DK starts running and a short missile is coming, here is what DK does:
PS stop the short missile UNLESS samus has jumped into the air again. if samus HAS jumped, he normal shields and sits for about a second so samus can land on the ground with zair or another missile. at that point DK walks forward and swings with f tilt or d tilt or RAR bair, ALL of which cancel all missiles and zair. if samus has space behind her to get away, then there is a good chance that nobody really wins the trade. samus gets back safely, and DK gets nothing really. If samus is near the edge, or in this case in the first or third parts of FD, then samus is close to off the edge and DK has stage control, extremely important for the matchup.
also fun fact, DK's side B goes through samus's up b and costs him almost nothing. if sits and waits making zair recovery unsafe, samus will probably go down and try to get up B. or bomb stall, she has options. but if DK falls and side Bs he either spikes samus or samus flips him up, in which case he gets 3% and nothing happens. side B also goes through all the missiles, so I can do it despite shooting missiles as you recover lol.
just a fun little thing to watch out for, samuses often get priority happy on their up Bs. I know I do before I get shut up by a metaknight or...DK lol

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
I don't feel like arguing MUs, I'd rather just play them and that's that. =P So, this thread/board died again. Start posting here about social stuff. :(

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I don't get how anyone could think the MU is even for samus lol. I mean it's possible to create a pesudo barrier against DK that forces him to get damage as he tries to get in, but he IS gonna get in. very few of samus's combos work on a DK who can SDI worth a damn. I often get good hits or even kills because samus do up B on my DK when I'm <90%, and I can DI out, fastfall down, and down smash.
the only successful barrier I've seen created against DK, and against my DK, was when the samus managed to get a charge shot ready, and did missile. when DK falls and swings, charge shot trade or out prioritize it, and DK flies away. shoot a missile and get another charge shot ready. it's good for a couple reps and can net you 90 or so damage on DK.
The good thing is samus has moderately safe **** on dk, like falling uair on DK's shield landing behind him is safe. I think the matchup is around -1 because of DK's **** once he gets in. it would be even if that was demonstratively preventable, but this has yet to be proven. a Samus's fate in the matchup depends on how little samus gets bodied once DK jumps in.
I would like to see it happen. I can see the situations and I think it's THEORETICALLY possible, I just don't think it's going to happen. basically, as samus you have to have the perfect solution every time DK jumps in.
all of bair goes through:
-both kinds of missiles
-charge shot at <half charge or so
-one hit of bomb (but who's really using it in that situation any way.
you can get under him with rising uair but he goes through the oter aerials, or gets away with only 3 damage taken from something like the first hit of fair.
the only defense I've seen is when a samus anticipates the bair and short missiles once, then delays the other missile punishing bair. then run through, try again, etc.

DK's f tilt goes through all the aforementioned projectiles as well, though power missiles cancel with f tilt. I've never seen a samus be able to handle a mix of f tilts and power shielding from DK. I feel like a DDD walking forward lol.
I know it's possible, but we're not here for the far away theory. we're here for doable strats that have been, or soon will be used for the matchup.

oh and before you mention up tilt, up tilt is a terribly unsafe option unless you're doing a hard read. DK's bair trades with it (making it a viable kill move for samus definitely) and if he air dodges then free downsmash ahoy. Just in case you wanted to bring up the other anti air lol.

oh and zair: it's pretty damn good against DK I guess. problem is if you full jump zair and DK airdodges in a full hop, he gets a free bair (or nair but not the others despite direction). If you falling zair, DK will cancel it with bair or just not get hit by it. I mean, he's above you lol. that's the basis of the situation. you jump up in anticipation of DK's aerials, and a smart DK won't let it phase him after the 2nd or 3rd time.
If the Samus can't handle a mix of tilt cancels and powershielding for their opponent's method of approach they probably aren't a very good Samus. I typically harp on players who try to powershield approach with Samus's shield pressure game for punishment through Fair, Uair, Charge Shot, and Missiles. A good samus should be able to wall her opponents with aerials along with projectiles and Zair otherwise her defensive game gets too predictable.

Even with SDI, I don't see it preventing Samus from comboing DK decently since he's a size, weight class,
and falling speed that screams to Samus pressure him. I expect people to be able to SDI out of Fair and given its modest cooldown I can change gears without too much trouble to adjust to the situation. If DK gets Bair happy he's likely set himself up for a few rising Uairs since logic denotes he'll be in the air above Samus by a bit.

Our Utilt shouldn't be used outside of reads and platform control anyway given its start-up time. DK does have great range on his aerials but we have the speed to beat them at coming out on most of ours making it similar to a reverse case of the Sheik MU for us where we are the longer ranged yet a bit slower one.

Even if DK gets in Samus still has some spacing and escape options even though she'll likely eat quite a bit of percent in the process.
DK can DI out of uair unless you are rising into him and have already started the move. fair is easily DI-able as well. All the stuff you talk about walling DK out is possible. Samus has been my 3rd since day 1 of brawl. It just never happens. walking and powershielding is viable but if DK swings wrong he's likely to get hit by zair. here's the thing: if DK starts running and a short missile is coming, here is what DK does:
PS stop the short missile UNLESS samus has jumped into the air again. if samus HAS jumped, he normal shields and sits for about a second so samus can land on the ground with zair or another missile. at that point DK walks forward and swings with f tilt or d tilt or RAR bair, ALL of which cancel all missiles and zair. if samus has space behind her to get away, then there is a good chance that nobody really wins the trade. samus gets back safely, and DK gets nothing really. If samus is near the edge, or in this case in the first or third parts of FD, then samus is close to off the edge and DK has stage control, extremely important for the matchup.
also fun fact, DK's side B goes through samus's up b and costs him almost nothing. if sits and waits making zair recovery unsafe, samus will probably go down and try to get up B. or bomb stall, she has options. but if DK falls and side Bs he either spikes samus or samus flips him up, in which case he gets 3% and nothing happens. side B also goes through all the missiles, so I can do it despite shooting missiles as you recover lol.
just a fun little thing to watch out for, samuses often get priority happy on their up Bs. I know I do before I get shut up by a metaknight or...DK lol
Ive beat every Dk i have ever played, regardless of skill. I beat Will in teams but lost to him in singles(he plays Noid so he has ample samus exp). I think its even or a +1 in dk favor. no more than that.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I saw that video last night and it blew my mind. the way he uses bombs is amazing, it's like when he's falling he places a bomb at no cost to his speed and makes it safe.
I have renewed hope in samus now.
I mean up air space to bomb is like...freee bomb sitting there. jump, double jump bomb slide across platform it looks like he's just sliding around the map.
/bandwagon

Sarix

Smash Ace
Wow, I feel I could take a few leaflets on zoning with bombs from YB now, that was very impressive like Zanx said. Btw Dt3 have you finished reading up on my guide yet or shall I post it in the "musings" thread?

Sarix

Smash Ace
If there's more to come....

*Gets more popcorn*

& I see a total of 7 people here...Hello :p
Apparently my guide is now entertainment for the other Sami lol. And for this moment's coming episode.. Aerial Attacks!

Yeah I don't get why so many people just lurk around here and say nothing.

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
Apparently my guide is now entertainment for the other Sami lol. And for this moment's coming episode.. Aerial Attacks!

Yeah I don't get why so many people just lurk around here and say nothing.
Yay! XD

It was mostly guests... except for one bloke who was logged in :p

Edit: Noob question, but what does FAF mean??

Luigisama

Smash Champion
just for you guys I'll try using my samus in tourney. I think samus has potential being that her projectile game should be making the other opponent go where she wants them to be and samus should be ready to stop attacks with upair, fair, or escape with up b. like just as an example if a match were on BF

Opponent is on ledge. zair to prevent jump off ledge to push the opponent back on the ledge, move forward and morph bomb to prevent rolling get up or to prevent the opponent from approaching, weak missle to either charge up shot or double strong missile. Repeat

Sarix

Smash Ace
Edit: Noob question, but what does FAF mean??
Sorry I just saw your question today lol. FAF is for First Action Frame.

Have fun playing Samus Luigi, quite a few people forget she has very good shield pressure and can hurt the defensive games of characters who don't outcamp her.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
I wish it were that easy Luigisama haha

You look at the character and you think to yourself "She has a great tool kit, why isn't she used more?" and then you play her and realize she really doesn't function well in Brawl's physics.

Sarix

Smash Ace
It's really ironic that considering how campy and defensive Brawl is that with Samus's tools and keepaway game she isn't better.

Top Bottom